Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Over 60 help and support.

[Li...]

Think he does; was recc from someone here on BB so hopefully.

Guess first thing to ask is if he uses Ashton protocol and has he worked with peope doing this for the long term...  then go into my situation.  Thencome up with specific questions be they test results or how he handles things or what.  Maybe he even knows local dr I could work with, thoh I doubt it.  If not not sure how he handles thigns further...  as he is expensive and won't take insurance.  I just hope he worth this... hehe.    Hard for me to even get out see drs. so worth a try.  I should tell him that as well...  not much energy and not real functional.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ba...]

• [Ma...]

• [or...]

• [Fi...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Think he does; was recc from someone here on BB so hopefully.

Guess first thing to ask is if he uses Ashton protocol and has he worked with peope doing this for the long term...  then go into my situation.  Thencome up with specific questions be they test results or how he handles things or what.  Maybe he even knows local dr I could work with, thoh I doubt it.  If not not sure how he handles thigns further...  as he is expensive and won't take insurance.  I just hope he worth this... hehe.    Hard for me to even get out see drs. so worth a try.  I should tell him that as well...  not much energy and not real functional.

Sounds like a solid plan Barbara.. And ideally if he's used the Ashton guide he'll be familiar with going even more slowly if need be...

:smitten:

SS

Yes, will ask how slowly he ever does things.

And not going to get my hopes up too much as drs. generally disappointing.

Thanks for the replies!

Hi, Marg et al!

Had my consult and now very depressed.  Got no sleep so that is part of it.

Feel like total loser and old.

I will post the gist of things just in case anyone has a take on it.

Mostly he said go to sleep dr.  and sleep lab again (I did that 40 yrs ago).  Said they have learned a lot.  He was impressed I went to sleep lab when Dr. Dement (discovered REM sleep) was at that University.  NOT that they helped me one iota.  They told me I did not sleep which I already knew.  That was before benzos the sleep disorder and inherited circadian rhythm prob.

Then he said can do liquid valium taper (can rx liquid) and he cuts down .1 every other day...?  Must have meant .01?  or 1 cc? 

He said that he has not had patient shave probs getting off ambien...

said ambien and lyrica, individual or togethr way better than benzos.  ??

I'm sure he said other stuff (I took notes) but after initially thinking he pretty good, then thinking, maybe not. 

He did say no sleep terrible for you, and I know it is.  I got one hr sleep and my cold is back and just am very down today.  I will probly take an ambien to sleep tonight and feel guilty.

Really, after decades on this stuff, hard for me to believe I ever can get off everything and sleep normally.  Wonder why I am even trying and feel like my life is just over

Hi, Marg et al!

Had my consult and now very depressed.  Got no sleep so that is part of it.

Feel like total loser and old.

I will post the gist of things just in case anyone has a take on it.

Mostly he said go to sleep dr.  and sleep lab again (I did that 40 yrs ago).  Said they have learned a lot.  He was impressed I went to sleep lab when Dr. Dement (discovered REM sleep) was at that University.  NOT that they helped me one iota.  They told me I did not sleep which I already knew.  That was before benzos the sleep disorder and inherited circadian rhythm prob.

Then he said can do liquid valium taper (can rx liquid) and he cuts down .1 every other day...?  Must have meant .01?  or 1 cc? 

He said that he has not had patient shave probs getting off ambien...

said ambien and lyrica, individual or togethr way better than benzos.  ??

I'm sure he said other stuff (I took notes) but after initially thinking he pretty good, then thinking, maybe not. 

He did say no sleep terrible for you, and I know it is.  I got one hr sleep and my cold is back and just am very down today.  I will probly take an ambien to sleep tonight and feel guilty.

Really, after decades on this stuff, hard for me to believe I ever can get off everything and sleep normally.  Wonder why I am even trying and feel like my life is just over

Hi Barabara,

The doc sounds pretty good.... Sleep labs have changed a lot in 40 years so possibly going could provide you with info.  They mostly rely on behavioural stuff to help with sleep but that's all good to know and they can see if there's some underlying sleep disorder..... worth a try?

And that your doc will prescribed liquid V is great!  Did he know about that or did you let him know?  He seems to be aware of daily tapering which again is great..... Having a good doc on your side is the biggest thing I find.

Ideally you'll be able to adjust the taper rate to suit you...

i know when I haven't slept that the world looks a little black around the edges... lot of us get off this stuff though and lot of us will -- I'm sure in the "podding along to get off" category.

And we're all in this together I think

Hope your day is good

:smitten: :smitten:

SS

Hi Over 60 Group! I’m 69 and would love to join this group. I was on .25 mgs of Xanax for 18 months for sleep and tolerance hit me like a ton of bricks! When I finally realized what was happening to me I c/t the Xanax and crossed over to Valium. It took a couple of months to stabilize and I started tapering in September of 2013 at 20mgs of Valium under the care of a psychiatrist in Dallas. In 2 days I will be at 2mgs. I have held for very long periods of time, but never updosed but a couple of times. Only for a day and never more than .25 mgs. I held for long periods of time due to life altering events. I have had pelvic surger, broken my arm and shoulder, moved to a different state when my husband retired, supported my daughter during her divorce and had many other challenges. Through it all I have managed to live a good life. Travel, birthdays, graduations, Anniversary, friends, and a very supportive family. I’m blessed with financial stabilty, good doctors, and a strong faith in God. I’m challenged with fear and anxiety as I get lower in dose. I’m so ready to bite the bullet and move on. Any advice for those who are finished would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Over 60 Group! I’m 69 and would love to join this group. I was on .25 mgs of Xanax for 18 months for sleep and tolerance hit me like a ton of bricks! When I finally realized what was happening to me I c/t the Xanax and crossed over to Valium. It took a couple of months to stabilize and I started tapering in September of 2013 at 20mgs of Valium under the care of a psychiatrist in Dallas. In 2 days I will be at 2mgs. I have held for very long periods of time, but never updosed but a couple of times. Only for a day and never more than .25 mgs. I held for long periods of time due to life altering events. I have had pelvic surger, broken my arm and shoulder, moved to a different state when my husband retired, supported my daughter during her divorce and had many other challenges. Through it all I have managed to live a good life. Travel, birthdays, graduations, Anniversary, friends, and a very supportive family. I’m blessed with financial stabilty, good doctors, and a strong faith in God. I’m challenged with fear and anxiety as I get lower in dose. I’m so ready to bite the bullet and move on. Any advice for those who are finished would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome sis!

This is kind of a leaderless group, and it is lovely to have you here.  :smitten: What a journey!  .25 mg of Xanax sounds like nothing doesn't it?  It's in doing the crossover that the reality of how much poison was being put into the body becomes clear.  ( As a fellow Xanax user myself.... only at night, only for sleep, no tolerance w/d  for 17 years although the dose kept going up for sleep ..... :thumbsup:)

And look how far you've come!  Did you do a cut and hold?  Micro taper? 

With the list of life stressors that you have experienced your taper is especially impressive....

I watched a couple of days ago how when my body got revved up by stress, I simply couldn't calm it down.  It was like driving a car with the clutch in and the engine revving.... Learned from that for sure. I wasn't anxiety press, but a sense of being in overdrive. 

I think our 70's will rock  :D:laugh:.

SS

Hi ss!  Thanks for the Welcome! I’m still doing a cut and hold. I have had every symptom that most on here have had. I had really bad reactions when I had steroid injections in my knee and hip. It was like c/t withdrawal. I have been to the ER twice in 4 years thinking I was having a heart attack. Most of my days are very functional and good. I do have symptoms like rapid heart rate, elevated blood pressure, constant ringing in my ears, and always digestive issues of all kinds. Lately I have had moderate muscle spasms in my back. Old injuries flare up at times.These symptoms come and go.My greatest challenges are fear and anxiety about my health! This experience has been the most challenging thing I have ever been through. It has also taught me things about myself that I might never have learned. That’s been a good thing. Are you through with your taper? I love hearing from others and how they are getting through. I don’t take any other meds except my blood pressure pill. I try to eat well and I’m able to have a cup of coffee every morning. I hope to hear from you again :thumbsup:

Hi ss!  Thanks for the Welcome! I’m still doing a cut and hold. I have had every symptom that most on here have had. I had really bad reactions when I had steroid injections in my knee and hip. It was like c/t withdrawal. I have been to the ER twice in 4 years thinking I was having a heart attack. Most of my days are very functional and good. I do have symptoms like rapid heart rate, elevated blood pressure, constant ringing in my ears, and always digestive issues of all kinds. Lately I have had moderate muscle spasms in my back. Old injuries flare up at times.These symptoms come and go.My greatest challenges are fear and anxiety about my health! This experience has been the most challenging thing I have ever been through. It has also taught me things about myself that I might never have learned. That’s been a good thing. Are you through with your taper? I love hearing from others and how they are getting through. I don’t take any other meds except my blood pressure pill. I try to eat well and I’m able to have a cup of coffee every morning. I hope to hear from you again :thumbsup:

Hi sjs,

I'm far from finished but I am tapering using liquid, for a portion of my Xanax.  Getting down low on the Xanax that  anxiety and insomnia are starting to rear their heads... in weird ways.  I had a huge anxiety attack in the middle of the night -- that's new!  but today I feel pretty good.  I have to think that it was simply a portion of my brain misfiring to heal....  Even with the 4mg of Valium I take daily!  (that's not a small dose.... :tickedoff:)

It's been a long journey so far and I think I'll be into 2020 before I say good bye to the last benzo.. I remember when that seemed unacceptable, ( as if we have control over how fast our bodies heal  :D;D)  but now it simply feels like fact -- if I want to function while I taper.  and I do.

My biggest sxs is a general feeling of tension around the time that I am supposed to take medicine -- that and sternum pain. 

I take Mirt for insomnia and would be lost without it!

Yes I've learned more from this experience than anything I've every done... grit is what it takes and I've had to grow me some..

Hope your day goes well.

SS

Can anyone in the over 60 group relate to real high and real low blood pressure just out of the blue? I take a blood pressure pill every day! It scares me the way it fluctuates.

I feel like I am full blown withdrawal! Please help anyone’s!

Hi sjs,

Sounds like a rough day really rough..... Didn't look closely at your sig before I responded.  so some of this may not be helpful.  Could this be a wave of sxs that have caught up with you (I know I had a rough day yesterday seemingly out of nowhere but this morning I'm hanging in there)

Can yo distract yourself?

Do you need a bit of an updose to help you stabilize?

I know that when I'm feeling rough I tend to focus on my sxs, and then they tend to get worse  :crazy:

If if if I can remind myself to distract myself, go for a walk. watch a comedy, talk to a friend about anything other than w/d..... I can ride some out.

Let us know how you're doing.....

SS  :smitten:

Thank you ss. I am trying to move on and distract, but my blood pressure goes up when I get up and move around. I’m a little dizzy too. I have had worse days than this so I have to believe that this too shall pass! My mind keeps telling me to be very afraid and that something is horribly wrong with me. I have drawn my taper out way too long. Should have been done years ago! I’m ready to move on! I so appreciate you responding. It sure helps. What do you do when you have days like this? I missed church this morning. It always inspires me! I’m glad you are having a better day :smitten:

Thank you ss. I am trying to move on and distract, but my blood pressure goes up when I get up and move around. I’m a little dizzy too. I have had worse days than this so I have to believe that this too shall pass! My mind keeps telling me to be very afraid and that something is horribly wrong with me. I have drawn my taper out way too long. Should have been done years ago! I’m ready to move on! I so appreciate you responding. It sure helps. What do you do when you have days like this? I missed church this morning. It always inspires me! I’m glad you are having a better day :smitten:

When I have days like this, yesterday was a good example, I remind myself that my mind plays tricks on me.  :idiot::crazy: Stay Strong, (learned that from a buddy here) and that this too shall pass.  And that sxs are the brains way of letting me know I'm healing.... and not to go too fast  :laugh:

I'm not sure we can draw out tapers out too long, but I'm very sure we can go too quickly....

(When I start thinking I have to get off at all costs I know that I've been tapering too quickly.... paradoxical but true for me  :D)

I also make sure, when possible to distract distract distract. 

My blood pressure dances around too and that leads to my dizziness, but I've never had any dire consequences from that.

We're all in this together

SS

Thanks so much, ss! I’m feeling a little better. I was able to eat a delicious lunch that my husband fixed for us. I hope your day is going well! :smitten:

These symptoms cause our thinking to become really distorted sjs and it makes us think all sorts of other things are going wrong.  I’m having exactly that sort of day today ::) Distraction is the key and remembering that so many before us have healed and we will too!  Is your husband supportive of your journey?

I did use some grass to sleep yesterday and my ambien, and got some sleep but just have just done nothing today (that is the trend),  very scared/despairing, and onder do i need to get help somehow, like hospital?  This has gone on so long and feel mentally fraying from the stress and being all alone.

Have not eaten, losing hope really.  Wish I had some sort friend/family to check up on me even.  heavy sigh.

I did use some grass to sleep yesterday and my ambien, and got some sleep but just have just done nothing today (that is the trend),  very scared/despairing, and onder do i need to get help somehow, like hospital?  This has gone on so long and feel mentally fraying from the stress and being all alone.

Have not eaten, losing hope really.  Wish I had some sort friend/family to check up on me even.  heavy sigh.

Hey Barbara,

I'm sorry that things are so rough.  Not sleeping is torture as you know all too well!

I think I say this a lot on this forum, but have you considered a longer hold?  I know a bunch of folks who have benefitted and stabilized while holding for longer than you'd think. 4 months, 6 months, 8 months for one Buddy who happily walked off with no problems.

And I know the Ambien is tricky -- that's the med that sent my CNS spiralling downwards....

when my CNS got out of wack from tapering too much too fast it took at least two months of holding to even start to feel a bit better ..... then a lot better. 

I use holding a lot in my tapering...

I don't know what hospital would do other than possibly get you off everything quickly, discharge you  and then you'd still be on your own recovering...

I don't know where you live but that's what they do here....  I wish that weren't the case but...

Remember we're all in this together and we can get through this,  I'm sure of it, sure of it.....

SS

Thanks but I am unsure of everything.

If you look at my sig... haven't I gone very slowly?  I am stuck on the itsy bit of clon and the val and i taking ambien to sleep (more often than not now).

What the heck do I do?

I do have lyrica and have felt almost human on 1 at night with an ambien but sheesh, why get off benzo to be taking all the rest?

I appreciate your reply, tho.  Nice to know someone is listening.

Hi Barbara,

I guess that slowness in tapering is measured in how our body is responding... If I'm reading your sig correctly you're on .04 clonazepam and 5 mg of Valium?  and with the Ambien... not sure if I'm reading it right...

I guess I've learned here on BB from reading and corresponding with folks that I allow my sxs to  guide as to whether i am tapering too quickly, not the calendar... and that z drugs can mess with tapering...

I'm sure not saying i know what's right for you as we all have to listen to our own bodies..  and we are all so different...

Not sure what lyrica is.

Wishing you a good day.

SS

Thanks but I am unsure of everything.

If you look at my sig... haven't I gone very slowly?  I am stuck on the itsy bit of clon and the val and i taking ambien to sleep (more often than not now).

What the heck do I do?

I do have lyrica and have felt almost human on 1 at night with an ambien but sheesh, why get off benzo to be taking all the rest?

I appreciate your reply, tho.  Nice to know someone is listening.

Barbara... I did this all on my own too .. like you there was lots of soul searching and why am I doing this . No support except for this group..  insomnia was my biggest issue. Even at over six months off it still is .. I also substituted another drug ( zopiclaine ) to help with the sleeping and that's taken some time to get off. I know how it feels . I really do. And it's dam hard. No easy way .. know that others are here for you and can be the support you need an want. I do hope it stabilises for you . Keep in touch here l it does help .. lots of love xx

So you got off benzos but took zolpidem for a while then tapered that?  How did that go and what about sleeping with zolpidem?  Am really fearful about that.  Or can you still take zolpidem as needed once off now and then?

When I have days like this, yesterday was a good example, I remind myself that my mind plays tricks on me.  :idiot::crazy: Stay Strong, (learned that from a buddy here) and that this too shall pass.  And that sxs are the brains way of letting me know I'm healing.... and not to go too fast  :laugh:

I'm not sure we can draw out tapers out too long, but I'm very sure we can go too quickly....

(When I start thinking I have to get off at all costs I know that I've been tapering too quickly.... paradoxical but true for me  :D)

I also make sure, when possible to distract distract distract. 

My blood pressure dances around too and that leads to my dizziness, but I've never had any dire consequences from that.

We're all in this together

SS

Mercy! A blood pressure pill alone is enough to freak people (and bodies) out. My bp varies quite a bit, but it's always related to the anxiety etc. that I'm experiencing at the time. People always told me to "distract, distract, distract", but nothing really ever seemed to work all the time. Mild exercise has been beneficial, but then again I'm a weird one who's been on these crazy meds for decades too. I ran across something about several weeks ago that has been dramatically good. My daughter bought me some really good wireless noise cancelling headphones. I did some digging through the iTunes music library and found some really great calming music. I spent a long time doing that, but I ended up downloading quite a bit over a period of a couple weeks. If I found something that resonated with my heart and brain, I downloaded it. What a difference!! Now each time I put them on it's kind of like a great meditation session. Just awesome. Also, I'm learning EFT and more advanced meditation. In a pinch though, the headphones are super. Just an idea. Hang in there!!!

Hi!  My name is Anna, 62 years old and comes from Sweden. I use translator, and I hope it will not be too crazy. I would be very happy if I can join this group.

I stopped CT 2 years ago. We all react differently, but it has been very difficult. I have been bedside all the time, and only now can I be up for shorter moments. What I think is worst is the weakness, I can`t cope with everything here at home. (I live alone but get help from my ex).

However, I try to accept that it is as it is, and that the healing takes time.

I am so grateful to BB and all the wonderful members and moderators. The problems of tolerance and abstinence can sometimes be completely impossible to understand for our environment. Therefore, it`s  a great security to be able to write here because you just know what it means.

I also hope  I can be of help and support for those who have not come so far in the healing. It is said that one has to go through this misery to understand everything that is strange to others.