Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Over 60 help and support.

[Li...]

Welcome Translator 100,

It sounds like you've had a rough time since your CT.  This group is kind of leaderless and we all gather to support each other as we can.

I'm sure glad you're here  :thumbsup:

Let's get through this!

:smitten:

SS

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ba...]

• [Ma...]

• [or...]

• [Fi...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, SufferingSixty! This is probably the worst I've ever had, but one day at a time. It's good that we are in the same age group, the young people don`t understand that healing goes faster if you are young. There are no dear ones who are judging, everyone is so kind and understanding. I'm going to read old posts, and see how it goes for you. Thanks again!

Thank you, SufferingSixty! This is probably the worst I've ever had, but one day at a time. It's good that we are in the same age group, the young people don`t understand that healing goes faster if you are young. There are no dear ones who are judging, everyone is so kind and understanding. I'm going to read old posts, and see how it goes for you. Thanks again!

Hi Translator,

Sorry to hear that this is the worst time that you've had.... but it will get better, more slowly for us older folks as you say but we'll be rocking into our 80's!  Or that's what keeps me going on rougher days.  There are some really good and positive threads on BB worth reading and getting info from.

And we can all support each other..

May this day be a good one... stay strong.

:smitten: :smitten:

SS

Hi Translator,

Sorry to hear that this is the worst time that you've had.... but it will get better, more slowly for us older folks as you say but we'll be rocking into our 80's!  Or that's what keeps me going on rougher days.  There are some really good and positive threads on BB worth reading and getting info from.

And we can all support each other..

May this day be a good one... stay strong.

SS

Yeah, just don't read too much! It can freak people out :)

Time to heal!!!

Hey fellow prunes!  (I can say that because, at 82, I bet I'm the pruniest.)  I was on 2.5 mg of clonazepam/day, as prescribed, for 25 years (Why didn't I question this?!).  I've been off for 20 months and continue to experience head pressure, dizziness, light headedness, non-specific agitation, flu-like malaise, insomnia, cog fog, and I forget what else.  The symptoms wax an wane throughout the day.  I also have serious back problems which were precipitated by all the running I did (12 miles/day during my 40s), so I need a walker to travel more than 100 yards.  So, folks, I feel your pain, and then some.  I do my best to retain the modicum of physical fitness I have left by traversing my basement stairs (17 steps) 120 times every morning.  It works up a good sweat and gets my heart rate up.  Then I do 100 pushups.  I'm not saying this to try to impress you but rather to suggest that as much physical activity as you can stand is an important means of fighting the benzo-beast.  Often, during my stair exercise, I feel that I can't go on but so far I've always made it through and I really think it's helping me cope.  When I consider the overall withdrawal trajectory I think the symptoms are gradually diminishing, although I still have a long way to go and at my age I'll probably not achieve full recovery.  In any case, I'm not giving up, and neither are you youngsters.  Right?  Right!

Hey fellow prunes!  (I can say that because, at 82, I bet I'm the pruniest.)  I was on 2.5 mg of clonazepam/day, as prescribed, for 25 years (Why didn't I question this?!).  I've been off for 20 months and continue to experience head pressure, dizziness, light headedness, non-specific agitation, flu-like malaise, insomnia, cog fog, and I forget what else.  The symptoms wax an wane throughout the day.  I also have serious back problems which were precipitated by all the running I did (12 miles/day during my 40s), so I need a walker to travel more than 100 yards.  So, folks, I feel your pain, and then some.  I do my best to retain the modicum of physical fitness I have left by traversing my basement stairs (17 steps) 120 times every morning.  It works up a good sweat and gets my heart rate up.  Then I do 100 pushups.  I'm not saying this to try to impress you but rather to suggest that as much physical activity as you can stand is an important means of fighting the benzo-beast.  Often, during my stair exercise, I feel that I can't go on but so far I've always made it through and I really think it's helping me cope.  When I consider the overall withdrawal trajectory I think the symptoms are gradually diminishing, although I still have a long way to go and at my age I'll probably not achieve full recovery.  In any case, I'm not giving up, and neither are you youngsters.  Right?  Right!

Right!  Yes!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hey btw? how did you taper?  did you do a slow taper or what? I'm curious as to how all of us get through this thing...

SS

Quite right, we're rocking! Just hardrock is what keeps me alive, then I feel young for a moment. I don`t want to go back to youth, I really feel very well with my age. Everything feels good until I, in the current state, see myself in the mirror: I'm screaming like Homer Simpson. As an elderly person, you have been through a lot, and have life experience.

Now it has been 2 years and I wonder: what is withdrawal, and what is the weakness of this time on the sofa? My condition is down to zero, getting tired just by going to the bathroom.

So I have also started training on stairs. The first time I could hardly breathe, but I got up, yiphiiii! My shaking in my hands became so much worse, and I ended up in a wave. But I still think that training is helpful. Not during the first time of course, but then, when I feel a bit better.

The nervous system is still very sensitive, so I know I have to take it carefully. I am writing a diary, which means that I have to do exercises regularly. Also try to meditate, and live with mindfulness.

The healing takes time, a very long time, but I'm probably not better off lying on the sofa. So much easy exercise, relaxation and rock`n  roll!

Hey SS!  Using a gram scale from Amazon I sanded my way down in bi-weekly 0.1 mg increments until I got to the equivalent of about 0.1 mg remaining, at which point I said to hell with it and jumped.  My symptoms varied all over the map during the taper so I just kept trudging through it without attempting to see whether trying dosage plateaus would stabilize them.  The same situation obtains at present after 20 months off, although I sometimes think I see a glimmer of improvement.  I have to say that the reason I started the taper was my realization that for several years prior I had been suffering tolerance withdrawal symptoms without understanding what was going on.  In fact, I had undergone invasive and potentially harmful tests, including 2 angiograms and several CT scans, which turned up nothing.  No docs ever raised the possibility that benzos might be to blame.  Regarding exercise, I don't see any downside as long as we don't attempt to exceed our physical limitations.  Bathing those damaged neurons in oxygenated blood can't help but promote the healing process.  Psychologically, I have to kick myself in the butt to climb those stairs but I'm always glad I did.

Afterwards I also understood  my inconvenience was tolerance and withdrawal. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and they also wanted to send a referral to the neurologist for EEG and Parkinson's medication. But then I realized benso  was the problem, and thanked no. No doctor understood what was the problem, I had to try one medicine after another. This meant tolerance and withdrawal of  2-3 preparations at the same time. It's no wonder  I felt so bad when my nervous system was razed and rebuilt over and over again.So that's why it will take time before I get well.

Hey SS!  Using a gram scale from Amazon I sanded my way down in bi-weekly 0.1 mg increments until I got to the equivalent of about 0.1 mg remaining, at which point I said to hell with it and jumped.  My symptoms varied all over the map during the taper so I just kept trudging through it without attempting to see whether trying dosage plateaus would stabilize them.  The same situation obtains at present after 20 months off, although I sometimes think I see a glimmer of improvement.  I have to say that the reason I started the taper was my realization that for several years prior I had been suffering tolerance withdrawal symptoms without understanding what was going on.  In fact, I had undergone invasive and potentially harmful tests, including 2 angiograms and several CT scans, which turned up nothing.  No docs ever raised the possibility that benzos might be to blame.  Regarding exercise, I don't see any downside as long as we don't attempt to exceed our physical limitations.  Bathing those damaged neurons in oxygenated blood can't help but promote the healing process.  Psychologically, I have to kick myself in the butt to climb those stairs but I'm always glad I did.

Well done klonopinaddict,

Yup that's the way to do it isn't it, a tad at a time...

My doc doesn't believe the sxs I'm having, so I simply don't tell her anymore  - I just say I'm going as fast as I can, and will go no faster...

Weird about the tests isn;t it?  I have a neighbour who could possibly be in our boat (she's been taking nightly ativan for 40 years)  but her doc keeps saying that it couldn't be true.  I just keep telling her my experience and hope that she can feel better somehow.

You are an inspiration btw :thumbsup:

I'm just back from a long walk -- with a matcha latte as my reward.  I find the caffeine in matcha to be helpful, not revving the way coffee is -- and it tastes so good.

SS

So, afterwards, I also understand that my inconvenience was tolerance and withdrawal. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and they also wanted to send a referral to the neurologist for EEG and Parkinson's medication. But then I realized  benso  was the problem, and thanked no. No doctor understood what was the problem, but I had to try one medicine after another. This meant tolerance and withdrawal of in 2-3 preparations at the same time. It's no wonder that I felt so bad when my nervous system was razed and rebuilt  over and over again.So that's why it will take time before I get well.

wild ride Translator! 

So good that you now know what has been the culprit and can begin to taper and get well.

I think we'll all be doing this for awhile -- but that's how it goes...

Learning every day...

SS

Having wretched day.  My taper was kind of on hold and ambien was at least helping me sleep but... not the last 2 nights and without sleep I am this trembly mess, in bed.  Live in tiny place (no steps to walk or room) and alone.

Feeling just a wreck and fearful.

Barbara, Sorry to hear you feel so bad!

It's the same here, sometimes it feels completely hopeless. I am also alone, but I get help shopping and practical. Do you have someone who can help you?

Having wretched day.  My taper was kind of on hold and ambien was at least helping me sleep but... not the last 2 nights and without sleep I am this trembly mess, in bed.  Live in tiny place (no steps to walk or room) and alone.

Feeling just a wreck and fearful.

So sorry you're having a rough day Barabara.... Yes sleep is an imperative for me too..

Hope tonight is better and that things look up soon...

SS

Translator,  nobody. 

I ouuld afford hellpl but not organized to set it up.  Don't know who would help.

And have screwed up my dose and no reply asking for help on that one, either.  Maybe some of that is the dosage.  Think it is too complicated the klonopin to valium at small doses.

Translator,  nobody. 

I ouuld afford hellpl but not organized to set it up.  Don't know who would help.

And have screwed up my dose and no reply asking for help on that one, either.  Maybe some of that is the dosage.  Think it is too complicated the klonopin to valium at small doses.

Hi Barbara,

Not sure if this will be helpful or not.  But looks like, from your sig, that you are tapering the Valium and Klonipin at the same time?  That's not how I would do it as I wouldn't know what was doing what..... just saying.... as someone who is also taking two different benzos.

I think there are many here who would say if you are feeling unstable, go for a small updose to the last dose where you felt stable and hold there for a bit.

A small updose can do quite a bit from my experience...

Wishing you well.

SS 

Agree and want to get onto ONE... that is where I screwed up, though, and nobody can help me figure the dose.

I can go back to where I was before, 5 days back.  I know I did not add valium amount... hope that it is right until or unless someone can help me calculate.

I know, a fine mess.

Thx for your reply.

How is it going for you? If I'm to be honest, this is terrible. The days are the same, and I hardly know what it is today. Since I live alone, and have no one to take into consideration, I still have nightwear. I long for sitting at the kitchen table and eating, now it's in front of the TV, which is constantly turned on. Everything goes so slowly, nothing hurts. Trying to exert me, but everything receives, there have been 2 long years. Forgive me for being so pessimistic! As I said, how are you?

Translator, I am a lot like you.  Feel crappy and no reason to get up.  Do wear sleepclothes a lot of the day, or sometimes all day.  You are right, days all seem the same and not much to look forward to.

I think going thru this, if you weren't depressed before, you will be now.  Yeah, and TV on for company, which I never used to do.

We need to set little tasks for us to do and try to take pride in them, I think.  Yesterday was SO horrendous did not do one thing and of course did not go out.  Today finally forced self out to go to drug store and walked around the block.  Paid a bill.  Not much but something!  Maybe we can be cheering squad for the other...??  :thumbsup:

Barbara, I think you were good at paying a bill. I still can`t handle it, my ex. helping me with everything. There is not much to be done, just getting down with the garbage feels heavy. Regrets that I didn`t  hire a cleaning company from the very beginning. But in the first year I was afraid of everything and everyone, and dared not open the door. But it will be better times for cleaning, hopefully .....

I thought I would now escape the unpleasant "wave" that comes on a regular basis. The body begins to "boil" and get anxiety. Is it alike for you?

Yeah I have a lot to do... need plumber and a tree removed (it is causing damage) and on and on and get little done.  I is only me so if this place falls down around my ears-- that is what will happen.

I am very stressed, yes.  Bills i can pay but I have stacks of stuff and am really disorganized.  SIGH.

Barbara, I think you were good at paying a bill. I still can`t handle it, my ex. helping me with everything. There is not much to be done, just getting down with the garbage feels heavy. Regrets that I didn`t  hire a cleaning company from the very beginning. But in the first year I was afraid of everything and everyone, and dared not open the door. But it will be better times for cleaning, hopefully .....

I thought I would now escape the unpleasant "wave" that comes on a regular basis. The body begins to "boil" and get anxiety. Is it alike for you?

Translator - I remember these days of constant fear - it pervaded everything!  Thankfully mine has decreased a good bit now but I couldn’t take my rubbish out either - had to get my daughter to lift the bag into the bin for me.

When I go into a wave my body also gets hot just beforehand - I usually feel really bad then right on cue, I have an overall sort of wave of a hot flush - and the anxiety soars.  That’s when I realise what’s happening.  It’s incredibly hard though to try telling yourself it’s not me - it’s my brain healing - even though I know that’s exactly what’s going on! :idiot:

It makes me so stressed  I can`t keep up my mind here at home, think if it's calling on the door! I have to stop thinking about it, but it's not easy. If I open the closet, everything hurts out, I find nothing. I don`t like this, but accepting only ...

I feel a lot of so much of what you all are feeling. Killer sometimes, isn't it? It's such a mental battle on top of everything else. I guess we all just have to look at the journey as a marathon. I used to run those things all the time, and this is very similar. One step at a time. I'm lifting you all up in prayer!! Our finish line is out there :)

Hello all. I am 63 and on my 2nd go around  :'(

I would like to join you in this group for support and to be support.

Even though I messed up big time by reinstating after I was well I have the experience of a successful taper so I know what to expect and that we can recover.

I am currently doing pretty well but it is very early days- am also using a drug they give alcoholics that is suppose to help regulate the brain and maybe it is helping keep me out of horrible WD and just fatigued more than anything- so far.