Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Over 60 help and support.

[Li...]

Cliffdweller, Even though I`m  new to this group, I welcome you.

Unfortunately, for the most part, both the public and healthcare don`t  know much about tolerance, escalation and withdrawal. Our problems are also so special, not at all in the same way as in common health concerns. Many are hard to explain. That's why I'm so grateful to BB, everyone understands and always wants the best for each other. We are all in the same situation.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ba...]

• [Ma...]

• [or...]

• [Fi...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Cliffdweller,

We're a pretty leaderless bunch here, so Welcome.

Interesting about the med that you are taking to help with w/d.... I hope that it helps well.

And that you had a successful taper provenly has got to provide lot of hope of the outcome of this one!

Let's see how it all goes for all of us!

:smitten: :smitten:

SS

Hi, Cliff.  What is that drug you are taking and you think it is helping?

I looked at my records from a year ago and I am scarcely done at all and feeling crappy and dysfunctional most days.  Is it worth it?

SIGH.

And if you go down incrimentally, say 10% every couple weeks, how long does it take to get off, say 5 mg valium?  Like... forever??

At least you're doing ok, so far, you say!!

I think that the Campral is helping.  Last time I tapered I suffered anxiety all the time.  This time I don’t have any of the symptoms like that so far – the brain zaps, electricity feeling,the metal mouth the jittery  body – none of that.

I did wake up with Cortosal surging So I did some deep breathing and a bit of meditation with it. Went back to sleep and  had a very vivid dream about a person I loved a long time ago who hurt me badly and was the reason I got on K. I rarely think about him so I was shocked at the emotions in my dream. I wonder if this is because I’m withdrawing again and it threw me back to that first time?

It doesn’t matter – what matters is that I got (according to my fitbit) 7 hours 59 minutes of sleep last night. During my first go around I was an insomniac which is why I think the Campral might be  working plus I took things to help me sleep: Benadryl and melatonin with 5HTP.

I did  another web search on Campral  and benzo withdrawal and found that a treatment center somewhere is using it for benzo withdrawal “ Acamprosate (Campral) – Although this medication is used primarily when treating the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal syndrome, that condition shares multiple similarities with benzodiazepine withdrawal. Both alcohol and benzos are central nervous system depressants. Acamprosate may be able to treat benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms such as anxiety, sleeplessness and jitteriness.”

So is it working or has nothing hit me up because it’s early in my rapid taper?- Afraid to believe in this medication -afraid not to take it.

OK onto another day-  I actually feel a little more lively this morning.

Sending all you angels in this group healing thoughts!

Well I don't know.  Are you the only person to use Campral?  Wonder if it would help me?

I am getting so many symptoms all the time.  But you've only used it a few days?

This is my 9th day on it and 9th day of my rapid taper.

I have fatigue ( probably  from the Valium) but so far no other symptoms and I am down from 2 mg K and 10 mg V to 5mg V. 9 days!

The 1st time I was on 4 mg K and suffered horribly - I keep waiting for the hammer to drop but so far it has not- only thing different this time is the Campral ( which is also a bit fatiguing)

What kind of dr. rx'ed the Campral?  Addiction dr??

I would try anything I thinki..  this is too tough for us old people.  The taper does a lot of damage, I think, at least to me.

My GP RX it -  I would imagine that the doctor that gives you The benzo to withdraw from would also prescribe it.

Protocol from a Recovery center about Campral:

Campral is the brand name of a prescription drug known as Acamprosate or Calcium-acetyl homotaurine.

Physicians often prescribe the drug to patients being treated for alcohol dependence and benzodiazepine withdrawal. The sudden withdrawal of alcohol by alcoholics often results in behavioral agitation, autonomic instability, anxiety, shakiness, insomnia, and delirium tremens as well as putting them at a greater risk for epilepsy and seizures. Campral acts as a counter-balancing agent in restoring homeostasis to the patient. When a patient begins a program of alcohol abstinence, they can take Campral to calm and alleviate withdrawal symptoms.

It protects neurons from damage and death caused by the effects of alcohol abuse and benzodiazepine withdrawal.

It also protects cells in the body from damage caused by inadequate blood flow. Campral is believed to affect brain pathways that are involved in alcohol abuse by stabilizing neurotransmitters, which are chemicals in the brain. Gamma-Amino-Butyric Acid or GABA is a specific type of receptor in the brain. A GABA agonist is a synthetic medication that stimulates the GABA receptor in the brain, producing a calming, sedative effect. Campral is one type of GABA agonist that serves to relax the patient and reduce anxiety. Brain chemical imbalances caused by long-term alcohol abuse can be properly restored using the GABA agonist Campral. It is also used for those addicted to benzodiazepine (ex. Xanax, Klonopin).

Interesting.  What recovery center is the source of that?  Wow, if it would help that would be great... unless it has some withdrawal syndrome of its own.

So you found a general dr who lets you control the taper as per Ashton?  And they threw in the Campral?

Interesting.  What recovery center is the source of that?  Wow, if it would help that would be great... unless it has some withdrawal syndrome of its own.

So you found a general dr who lets you control the taper as per Ashton?  And they threw in the Campral?

No - I got the Campral from my reg Dr—- I am using up my old tapering stach from my 1st taper  which regrettably I did not get rid of or I would not have relapsed.

I will have to do a rapid taper because I don’t have enough for a proper taper- no one in the small town I live in who will help w a WD

Hey I am in big ugly city and dr. (gp) I saw today thought it fine to go from 20 mg valium to 5.

Yup not many drs. who know much about this.

Wonder if anyone else has tried the Campral, tho.  Hope it works for you.

Hello everyone  :smitten:

I hope you all have a great day. And when it gets hard I hope you remember to keep positive thoughts  and remember that we are all together in this. Thank goodness we are not alone -I am so grateful for this group.

Day 11

Slept 5 hours 50 minutes according to my Fitbit. I Woke up five times and was awake for 38 minutes during that time. The Fitbit  is helpful because I think I’m not sleeping and it turns out I actually am. I took melatonin with 5HTP and proponanol before bed - no benedryl -  don’t want to build a tolerance to Benadryl for when I actually need it.

Yesterday I worked out for 35 minutes on my treadmill. The Campral is somewhat fatiguing plus the taper but I did I force myself to do some work around the house. I made an appointment to get my hair cut a few days before my upcoming ( dreading ) trip to Seattle to help my son with my grandkids for 4 days while his wife is away.

This morning I made the train reservation so I guess I am going instead of “catching the flu”and getting out of it.

I cannot let this taper interfere with my family!! I need to have a positive attitude about this upcoming trip —everything is going to be fine. If I don’t feel well nobody has to know.

Felt OK until evening and then I was a bit anxious but nothing I couldn’t handle. So two days on my new dose  and I am OK -I was kind of worried because it was a 20% reduction. I distracted myself with 2 movies on Netflix.

My goals for today are to get out and walk with my walking group and to do a little work around the house.

My head is clearer. I feel alive again – I have felt dead inside for months -in a deep depression and I didn’t see my way out of the black hole until it occurred to me that if I get off the drugs it might help.

Well I’m waking up and  when I feel anxious or any other withdrawal symptom it’s still better than the depression I was in.

I need to decide whether or not to hold until I get back from Seattle or cut again before I go and see if I can handle it. I don’t have that much of a supply left so if I hold until I get back I will have to go down very very quickly. I’ll see how I feel tonight when it’s time for my dose. Not making a decision right now.

Hugs :thumbsup:

Hello everyone  :smitten:

I hope you all have a great day. And when it gets hard I hope you remember to keep positive thoughts  and remember that we are all together in this. Thank goodness we are not alone -I am so grateful for this group.

Day 11

Slept 5 hours 50 minutes according to my Fitbit. I Woke up five times and was awake for 38 minutes during that time. The Fitbit  is helpful because I think I’m not sleeping and it turns out I actually am. I took melatonin with 5HTP and proponanol before bed - no benedryl -  don’t want to build a tolerance to Benadryl for when I actually need it.

Yesterday I worked out for 35 minutes on my treadmill. The Campral is somewhat fatiguing plus the taper but I did I force myself to do some work around the house. I made an appointment to get my hair cut a few days before my upcoming ( dreading ) trip to Seattle to help my son with my grandkids for 4 days while his wife is away.

This morning I made the train reservation so I guess I am going instead of “catching the flu”and getting out of it.

I cannot let this taper interfere with my family!! I need to have a positive attitude about this upcoming trip —everything is going to be fine. If I don’t feel well nobody has to know.

Felt OK until evening and then I was a bit anxious but nothing I couldn’t handle. So two days on my new dose  and I am OK -I was kind of worried because it was a 20% reduction. I distracted myself with 2 movies on Netflix.

My goals for today are to get out and walk with my walking group and to do a little work around the house.

My head is clearer. I feel alive again – I have felt dead inside for months -in a deep depression and I didn’t see my way out of the black hole until it occurred to me that if I get off the drugs it might help.

Well I’m waking up and  when I feel anxious or any other withdrawal symptom it’s still better than the depression I was in.

I need to decide whether or not to hold until I get back from Seattle or cut again before I go and see if I can handle it. I don’t have that much of a supply left so if I hold until I get back I will have to go down very very quickly. I’ll see how I feel tonight when it’s time for my dose. Not making a decision right now.

Hugs :thumbsup:

Hi Cliffdweller - this all sounds wonderfully positive!  I’m glad things are starting to get better for you and that you are managing to sleep albeit fitfully - getting some sleep helps so much I think.

I feel for you having to go and help out with your grandchildren though - I can only manage a couple of hours with just one of mine and that alone has me completely exhausted!  I could never cope with 4 days on the trot.  What ages are the kids?

Hello all!

My grandkids kids are 4 and 1 year!  They will certainly be a distraction and I love them but oh my goodness they are so  exhausting. Next Thursday is when I leave so I have until then to stabilize on my current dose.

So yesterday- not having any symptoms I kept waiting for them.  Just slow.  I sat  around and watched TV and during  commercials I would work on my newly remodeled kitchen-getting it back together. The last couple weeks I’ve had carpenters and plumbers and contractors working on the kitchen so I had to get all of the dishes etc. out of there and so I’ve been living in chaos with kitchen stuff all over the house-  finally it’s back together took all day

My normal mode is rather manic - now  I am in a slowed down version of myself not wanting to go anywhere -getting dressed is a chore I would not bother with if I lived alone. I think the slow down is the Valium. Also  there's the Campral- also a slow down drug.  It's not me -it's the drugs!

Well I can still accomplish things in the slowed down mode. Maybe not as much as I used to do and I'm grateful that I'm retired so I don’t have to do anything if I don’t want to get  out of my recliner.

Goals for today are to walk with my friends - get some groceries-  do some cleanup around the house. Not stress over any symptoms I get -recognize that they mean healing.  8)

I read your post cliffdweller and can so relate to that feeling of leaving ' home' and travelling to another place. I used to look forward to travelling and going different places. These days home is the security .. I push myself like you and go out and I can often feel the sx like dizziness , anxiety just swamping me. The minute I get back in the door , they go .. !!

I'm 8 months off, and while overall am doing really well  every now and then everything roars up again.. I was determined to live my older years drug free and happy .. and I'm well on my way to that , but I do wonder if the age (64) we are makes it a lot harder ..

hope the trip to Seattle goes well xx

The world outside the window feels like another world. When I watch TV how are others shopping, in the park with their dogs, and doing everything that's normal, it feels like another planet.

A week ago, I had to go on an important issue, I didn`t get away. It went very well, and I felt perfectly normal for 2 hours. I was very tired, but so happy! But as soon as I got home again I felt bad. "Is the abstinence in the wallpaper?" I don`t  understand myself, why am I so afraid to go out?

The world outside the window feels like another world. When I watch TV how are others shopping, in the park with their dogs, and doing everything that's normal, it feels like another planet.

A week ago, I had to go on an important issue, I didn`t get away. It went very well, and I felt perfectly normal for 2 hours. I was very tired, but so happy! But as soon as I got home again I felt bad. "Is the abstinence in the wallpaper?" I don`t  understand myself, why am I so afraid to go out?

I find that too translator!  That as soon as I go out I can behave normally and often forget about the taper completely (on good days)

That's why I do try to get out as often as possible, taking into account the fatigue level that may happen when I get home.  It's all about pacing  myself I figure...  Evenings are tough, I don't go out in the evenings very much at all -- I look forward to that...

And 3/4 of the battle is simply getting out of the house for me.  :thumbsup: But I'm on to it now and don't have to work so hard to leave. :D I know I'll often feel better once I'm out and about...

:smitten: :smitten:

SS

That is called derealization. I had it at the end of my last taper and a few months following. Then one day I was part of the world again.

It was so odd -  like everything  and every one was outside of me -not part of the world everyone else was in- like there was a glass wall I could see though but not get through.

Only place I felt real was home and I became agoraphobic- after I jumped I had to start forcing myself to go out- to get back to being around people again.

I did “ wake up” - one day I was “back”

One day during the worst of it I had to go grocery shopping - I saw a woman in the store obviously stressed and talking to someone about something seriously and I was jealous that she had a life and I was there but not — so hard to explain

but I know what you are writing about.

I don’t have it this time- so far.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derealization

I think this is so weird. Even after 6-7 months I took a walk of 3 hours (of course, went wrong). It went well, and I really thought the healing was close. Once upon a time I became so angry I walked 2 hours, and it went well too. But then it became the sofa for 15 months. Did a try, but it didn`t  work at all. Be very scared, brainfog and just wanted to go home to my beloved / hated sofa.

So it nevertheless feels safe to know if something happens, so I can handle it. Earlier, I thought "the teeth may well fall out", although it is very important to me. But it goes, but it takes several hours to get away.

So I try to see it as something positive. During the first year I could hardly get to the bathroom, but now I have been out for a few hours.

What, for others, feels quite normal, and no strange thing, is a very big victory for us. We are worth both cup, diploma and a medal. We did it!

Cliff, Thank you for letting me name this strange one!

Just as you write, it feels like there's a glass wall when you talk to someone else. At first the world outside was very scary, like a nasty movie.

This feeling is also difficult when talking to others, the glass wall is there, and I don`t really know what they are talking about.

But now, after 2 years, I can talk to the neighbors, and it doesn`t  feel strange at all. It's really hard to explain to others what we're going through, I'm so glad I've got you!

I kind of wonder if I'm more and more agoraphobic.  Rarely go out and it is such an effort.  I am more depressed/anxious than usual and wonder if it is the melatonin (only taking .725 mg) or phenergan?  Am trying to not take ambien for sleep.

I don't know but whatever i'm doing is not working for me!

I'm the same . Acrophobia and vertigo.. fine when I'm home but going out , I come over all 'odd' !! This acrophobia seems to be a huge sx with us over 60's !

Man, I don't even have a clue what's normal anymore!!! Heck, I'm not even sure what abnormal is. That's pretty weird.

P.S. I've got a fever, and the only prescription is MORE COW BELL!