Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Over 60 help and support.

[Li...]

Hi everyone, I am 62 and completely understand the feeling ....will I be well enough to enjoy the rest of my life.  I think about it when I am at my worst.  Right now, my worst ax is terrible back and neck pain.  I had it under control until my lat cut, about 3 weeks ago and then every muscle in back and neck tightened up.  Anyone else having this problem?  Any ideas on relief.  I am proud of us though for pushing forward.  It is so hard some days.  Healing thoughts to all.  We're tough ;)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ba...]

• [Ma...]

• [or...]

• [Fi...]

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great group! I read the posts, but have not yet re-read them, as I suffer from benzo induced CRAFT. Don't ask me to explain that acronym!

I do realize my time is beginning to run out, so getting off of benzos was now or never. I was at a place in my life where I could no longer keep taking them. I just kept getting sicker and sicker. I lost so much while taking clonazepam. Now I am off and struggling to recover. I really thought that I would be different and not suffer from protracted withdrawal, because I tapered slowly, exercised, ate healthy, stopped drinking alcohol. It doesn't really matter what we do, our brains are damaged and it takes time for them to heal. Last night I slept, perhaps 6 hours, which lifts my spirits immensely. Now if I just had some energy to go with it.

Sufferingsixty, we will get there. It just takes as long as it takes and then some. We've come so far!

Mary5588,

I too get the upper back shoulder and neck muscle pain after every cut. A few things can help.

I use Robaxcet platinum for the pain and it has a muscle relaxant in it. I get monthly massages, it feels good at the time then the pain gets worse then it settles down.

Finally if the muscle pain/tightness continues, I will take half a Cyclobenzaprine. It is a prescription muscle relaxer. I use these only once in a blue moon.

Of course muscle rubs and the good ole heating pad can be used any time.

Hope your feeling better soon. It will eventually taper off as you get further away from your cut.

ATU🙏

This is a great group! I read the posts, but have not yet re-read them, as I suffer from benzo induced CRAFT. Don't ask me to explain that acronym!

I do realize my time is beginning to run out, so getting off of benzos was now or never. I was at a place in my life where I could no longer keep taking them. I just kept getting sicker and sicker. I lost so much while taking clonazepam. Now I am off and struggling to recover. I really thought that I would be different and not suffer from protracted withdrawal, because I tapered slowly, exercised, ate healthy, stopped drinking alcohol. It doesn't really matter what we do, our brains are damaged and it takes time for them to heal. Last night I slept, perhaps 6 hours, which lifts my spirits immensely. Now if I just had some energy to go with it.

Sufferingsixty, we will get there. It just takes as long as it takes and then some. We've come so far!

I think I get that acronym!  And I get that condition as well :D:laugh:

SS

Suffering, I figured you might get it! I had a friend who was in his 50s who used that acronym and happily explained to me what he had. I was glad then that I didn't have it, but now I do!

I've had a window of sleep again even with DST happening last Saturday night. Who would have thought. Last night the window closed, but I'll take what I can get!

My other symptoms are also getting less. It definitely helps when I get some sleep.

Sleep is magic medicine!  When I don't sleep things get a bit grey around the edges!

I'm going to be using your acronym..... getting it more and more these days.

the sun is coming back the days are getting longer and I'm trudging along.

:smitten::)

SS

I think you can handle anything with sleep .. I'm nearly off the last bit of my sleeping z drug and then I'm only own .. completely drug free as well as being benzo free.!

The insomnia is relentless at the moment. I was getting some reasonable sleeps then at eight months just got slammed .... horrible, but I'm not telling any of you anything you don't know !

Right now, my worst ax is terrible back and neck pain.  I had it under control until my lat cut, about 3 weeks ago and then every muscle in back and neck tightened up.  Anyone else having this problem?  Any ideas on relief.  I am proud of us though for pushing forward.  It is so hard some days.  Healing thoughts to all.  We're tough ;)

That’s my problem back pain. I find relief with orthoheels. I wear them as sandles  around the house and as inserts in my shoes.

Hi all.

I was trying to taper down the last bit and switched to a LT. It was not going well so as I tried  using a combo of dry and liquid. Got frustrated and stopped for a few days- then took to much. So I stopped again and have been off since last Wed.

I am feeling better. I started taking Wellbutrin. I am Off the couch ( which has been my home for weeks) Without deciding to “ get busy” I found I was puttering around the house, getting out, and I even had some friends over and was OK with it. My house is clean for the 1st time in months - probably last June.

I am in a curious place: feel good but not sure if it is real and I am going to get slammed.  :idiot:

I will take it for now :D

I think you can handle anything with sleep .. I'm nearly off the last bit of my sleeping z drug and then I'm only own .. completely drug free as well as being benzo free.!

The insomnia is relentless at the moment. I was getting some reasonable sleeps then at eight months just got slammed .... horrible, but I'm not telling any of you anything you don't know !

Oh Bertie,  my sleep has deteriorated the last ten days plus a host of other symptoms.  All this despite no cut since Feb.  I'm having my thyroid level checked today.  Last summer I had a huge resurgence of what I thought were wd symptoms and turned out I had too high levels of thyroid hormone.  Once my thyroid med dose was decreased I felt much better. 

Congrats on being nearly done with the z drug.  You are truly inspiring to me.

Oh sorry to hear that BB.  Hoping you get some great shut eye soon.  It's an amazing feat that you've accomplished! nearly off is close enough for me!

:smitten:

SS

Here's a few thoughts -- I often read about how difficult it is for people having to work (and I totally understand) during w/d. I cannot imagine how difficult that must be at times (or all the time perhaps!)...

But I also find that going through this while retired (which means I often don't HAVE to go anywhere) can complicate it also.  Too much time to dwell, or focus on symptoms, or too easy to simply stay home and mope  :-\ ...

Too easy to not MAKE myself go out and about when I can and should...sigh

Toughnights2451.....it is easy to stay home, but try for just one small walk outside.....maybe if that goes ok, you may try another one.".......healing thought TN2451 :)

Here's a few thoughts -- I often read about how difficult it is for people having to work (and I totally understand) during w/d. I cannot imagine how difficult that must be at times (or all the time perhaps!)...

But I also find that going through this while retired (which means I often don't HAVE to go anywhere) can complicate it also.  Too much time to dwell, or focus on symptoms, or too easy to simply stay home and mope  :-\ ...

You are absolutely right.. each person's circumstances bring with it ,it's own kind of hell.  Neither is worse than the other. I think with going to work the difference is you HAVE to go . So you don't have the option of deciding if to push yourself or not. It's not that it's worse. It's just a different kind of pressure.especially when it comes to sleep .. there is nothing worse than being awake at three in the morning knowing you have to be up in four hours for an eight hour day at work.

On the flip side of that I now work from home so the pressure is not so great and can absolutly agree with you . I like the way you put it.. the focus is more on the issue .. I think I have felt more sx since being home by choice than having to get up and drive to work where I was distracted.  The mind is a powerful tool .. lots of love to you BB x

I relate tough nights.  I'm not sure if I could work much during this, but find that when i do have to work I can do ti!  I often collapse when I turn the focus back on myself -- but that's the key somehow -- having some thing other than this mess I got myself into to focus on!

It's isolating too, as initiating with friends is troubling...

I find it interesting how many of us are retired as we go through this.  Kind of like we needed the meds to get through life!  (speaking for myself and my insomnia anyway..) But I do find it interesting how many of us there are...  Not quite the retirement I envisioned!  But in a couple of years.....

:)

SS

bozobertie - It would absolutely horrible to have the pressure of having to be at work (or perhaps losing a much needed job!) - and mostly unable to do it (such as when I was first in w/d).

On the other hand it can be awful and so demoralizing when we allow ourselves to focus on every symptom and "awful-ize" it because we're not busy (by choice or circumstance or because of symptoms). Too much time to dwell.  I do think there is something to be said for HAVING to step up and do things which in turn distract you - especially once we have progressed to a point of either moderate symptoms or windows, etc.  The mind can really wreak havoc with idle time!

Mary5588 - Oh I do go out (often) - but I have those occasional idle times when my mind gets out of where it needs to be...

It IS isolating SufferingSixty - i find i don't want to talk about it to friends, and i'm sure my dear/great husband doesn't want to hear it all the time (lucky him!  :laugh:) ...and it can work on you to not reach out or be involved with anything because 1. it's too much effort and you're fatigued from not sleeping well (or at all), or 2 you're in pain at some level - and not sure what will hit  you "tomorrow" if you commit to going/doing something

This will be gone and we will go on....let's all be sure to remember it and reach out to others with similar problems....sigh....a helping hand

ToughNights2451,  I understand totally.  I spend a lot of time on here, researching, asking questions.  Looking for anything that might help me or put my 2 cents in where I think I might help.  Before I started titrating off my xanax I was basically too sick to do anything.  My last cut before the titration just killed my back and neck.  Very limiting. .  I have to admit I'm glad I don't work or I would just throw that into the mix of things to worry about.  Am I going to feel well enough to work tomorrow plus all the other things we worry so much about..

...."

This just sux no matter if you work or not......I wish u well TN2451 :smitten:

You know, it's crazy how your mind can work.  I have days where I believe (totally) that this is all W/D stuff.  And that it WILL be gone. 

Then I have a window - and after the sx return, I begin to have a more negative reaction and question - is it w/d? will it go away? am I stuck with this forever?

Please tell me you all are similar?  :-\

Ya Tough Nights!

I can sure relate!

the thing for me is that having been at this for almost a year now with really no break I'm just tired of it all!  The sxs are probably no where near as bad as when I started to withdraw but my tolerance for this level of discomfort has dropped. When sxs return I want to tear my hair out!!

I want it to be over!

And my way of seeing that I get some of that atm is to start a long hold..... I think that having a few months of relative ease will allow me to see things in perspective  again.

Or that's the idea  :D:laugh:

No short cuts to this I'm figuring out...

SS

You know, it's crazy how your mind can work.  I have days where I believe (totally) that this is all W/D stuff.  And that it WILL be gone. 

Then I have a window - and after the sx return, I begin to have a more negative reaction and question - is it w/d? will it go away? am I stuck with this forever?

Please tell me you all are similar?  :-\

That's me to a tee.  In a wave right now but I haven't cut since Feb.  I thought by this time I'd be able to cut again but I think it may be a good while yet.  I am so tired of this, but all I can do is keep plodding along and hoping I'll have some good years ahead of me somewhere.

You will ginger. You will ... keep plodding .. one foot after the other .. you'll be there soon .. Thinking  of you xxxBB

I am 62 and tapering from oxazepam for almost a month. still have a long road ahead of me. My worst symptom is fear of staying alone and driving.

Hey ginger.. when I look at it as a whole doing really really well .. worst sx is the insomnia especially now I'm nearly off the zopiclaine ..  I just try and do the best I can . It's a funny thing, it's not the crippling jump in an out of bed go to the bathroom frantic type of insomnia if that makes any sense, it's just being able to relax enough for my body to fall asleep . I am definity sleeping better once I get to sleep so it's the getting there! So in a sense the insomnia has changed in its intensity so I must be grateful for that. Other than that not too much issue. I had a very bad wave at 8/9 months but thankfully seem to be over it now. I had one night of getting to sleep at about 1am and the next time I woke up was after 6am .. I nearly cried it was such a wonderful experience. ( I use a Fitbit to track my sleep)

I still get anxious leaving the house at times , but not enough to actually stop me. I have to know there is a way home!! Still don't like sitting in the middle of a row somewhere , always have to be on the end.. !

You had any bad waves?