Over 60 help and support.

[Li...]

Kristina,

Thank you for my happy birthday wish!

My birthday wish is that this is my last one (and everyone else's) in the outhouse of this withdrawal shitshow.  My daughter and grandbabies just left after giving me a birthday sleepover.  I am pooped and lonely.  Please, God, heal us all.  We want nothing more than to feel peaceful and calm.  Simple things that make us sit back and exhale.

Love you all,

Sofa

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ba...]

• [Ma...]

• [or...]

• [Fi...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Belated Birthday Wishes, Sofa!  I too pray that by this time next year we all see great progress in our healing and happiness...we all so deserve that!  :smitten:

Blue

Hello to everyone!

Im 60 and have enjoyed reading this thread. We are all Warriors.

Ive been off Lorazepam now for 109 days after a 15 month taper. I was on the lowest amount of 0.5 for 10 months before tapering.

Also currently on Lexapro SSRI for over 20 years. Anyone here on Antidepressants?

I m also on Synthroid and T3 for Hashimotos Thyroid. Anyone have thyroid issues?

I know the symptoms are withdrawal, but I can't help to think that some might be the Lexapro and maybe Im in tollerance or it is contributing to feeling so sick.

Plus my thyroid levels are off.

I know that short term memory comes with age, but Im experiencing non lifting cog fog, fear, sadness, anxiety and agoraphobia. Have any of you been going through these?

Has any of the symptoms I mentioned gone away? When did you get a window? I haven't had one this whole time from tapering to now.

Im so scared, Should I taper the Antidepressant now even if Im feeling sick?

I was not like this before, Benzodiazepine I was entergetic, on the go, enjoying my grandkids,

And happy. Now I have been imobile, full of fear. Will this go away?

I was prescribed Lorazepam because in 2015 I was shaking from getting B12 injections.

Dr. Said test showed I had Pernicious Anemia. But after finding an Internist, that was ruled out being a correct diagnosis.

Can anyone relate to this? I just want a window..then I would feel encouraged.

Sorry to be so down, I know you are all struggling too. I just need hope...

Thank you

Hi Sandell,

Welcome to this group.

I'm sorry that I have few answers to the questions you pose,...  I am still in the process of tapering after being on Xanax very long term.

I have had anxiety and depression while tapering and anticipate that it may stick around for awhile after.....

this process changes us -- and I have to hope, know that it can -- for the better....

I hope someone who is further along in this process can chime in with their wisdom on the healing...

Yes We are all Warriors and we will be better warriors for going through this...

:smitten:

SS

Hello to everyone!

Ive been off Lorazepam now for 109 days after a 15 month taper. I was on the lowest amount of 0.5 for 10 months before tapering.

Also currently on Lexapro SSRI for over 20 years. Anyone here on Antidepressants?

I m also on Synthroid and T3 for Hashimotos Thyroid. Anyone have thyroid issues?

I know the symptoms are withdrawal, but I can't help to think that some might be the Lexapro and maybe Im in tollerance or it is contributing to feeling so sick.

I know that short term memory comes with age, but Im experiencing non lifting cog fog, fear, sadness, anxiety and agoraphobia. Have any of you been going through these?

Has any of the symptoms I mentioned gone away? When did you get a window? I haven't had one this whole time from tapering to now.

I was not like this before, Benzodiazepine I was entergetic, on the go, enjoying my grandkids,

I was prescribed Lorazepam because in 2015 I was shaking from getting B12 injections.

Dr. Said test showed I had Pernicious Anemia. But after finding an Internist, that was ruled out being a correct diagnosis.

Thank you

Hi Sandell,

It saddens me to hear you did a taper of lorazapam which has a short half-life, and likely put you into tolerance WD while you were tapering.  I didn't know about tapering and was in tolerance WD for the last year or two of taking zopiclone because I never increased the dose beyond half a tablet daily (and then I just stopped taking it!!).  My only option to prevent damage from tolerance WD and Cold Turkey would have been to do a slow valium taper.  In saying that, there are just no guarantees here, except that we do heal; very very slowly. 

I'm not on an antidepressant, but I do take Synthroid daily (I had radio-active iodine for a toxic over-producing nodule in 2011).  After a few years of my thyroid hormones bouncing around (that wasn't pleasant!), I'm on a stable dose of 75mcg daily).  The radio-active iodine was fine, although I think I had a smaller dose than that prescribed for Hashis.  I did a lot of research on it at the time, so can look up anything you might need to know.

"non lifting cog fog, fear, sadness, anxiety and agoraphobia" - yes that plus more are symptoms of WD.  If you read through the Ashton manual it'll help.  I had awful cog fog especially in the mornings, but everything except feeding myself, was absolutely overwhelming.

I was also told I had low B12 and needed injections because my stomach wouldn't absorb it (inosital factor?), and turned out to be allergic to the injection (not badly but got acne all down my neck on the 2nd injection).  Then my Dr checked the bloods and luckily I was able to take supplements (the nurse read the blood test results incorrectly).  Regardless, it cured my sciatica, and now I take B12 drops (never regularly as I'm aware my body doesn't like one or the brands - there are two - but I'm not sure which brand the drops are!!).

When my fear was greatest, I'd knit.  I was too anxious to watch TV and cog-fog didn't allow me to follow the program.  I didn't even know how many stitches I'd put on the needles, but I knitted 2 balls of wool.  A neighbours child used to come and visit me, and somehow I taught her how to knit;  she's moved since, but I swear she was an angel sent from heaven, because I just couldn't say 'no' to her visiting.  So, even through my cog-fog, she taught me that I could speak to people and 'wing it' even though I felt as though I had a look of panic on my face and I said weird things;  I seemed to manage.   

I had windows, mid-afternoon, early on, but they would disappear quickly and I felt as though I had put myself into a living nightmare.  BUT some things could be enjoyable, as long as I didn't try to 'think' about my 'situation'.    I walked a lot, and took photos of anything that looked beautiful, and was surprised that lots of things did look beautiful, despite me feeling as though I was dying.  That was just one of the ways I'd try to 'detract'.    Detract yourself from the nightmare and try to do anything in the 'NOW' without focussing on yesterday or tomorrow;  every second, and every minute, is one step closer to a window, and also, every second and every minute, your brain and body are doing their very best to heal;  all you have to do is hang in there, look after yourself as best you can, and let them xxx

Hello to everyone!

Thank you

Hi Sandell,

It saddens me to hear you did a taper of lorazapam which has a short half-life, and likely put you into tolerance WD while you were tapering.  I didn't know about tapering and was in tolerance WD for the last year or two of taking zopiclone because I never increased the dose beyond half a tablet daily (and then I just stopped taking it!!).  My only option to prevent damage from tolerance WD and Cold Turkey would have been to do a slow valium taper.  In saying that, there are just no guarantees here, except that we do heal; very very slowly. 

I'm not on an antidepressant, but I do take Synthroid daily (I had radio-active iodine for a toxic over-producing nodule in 2011).  After a few years of my thyroid hormones bouncing around (that wasn't pleasant!), I'm on a stable dose of 75mcg daily).  The radio-active iodine was fine, although I think I had a smaller dose than that prescribed for Hashis.  I did a lot of research on it at the time, so can look up anything you might need to know.

"non lifting cog fog, fear, sadness, anxiety and agoraphobia" - yes that plus more are symptoms of WD.  If you read through the Ashton manual it'll help.  I had awful cog fog especially in the mornings, but everything except feeding myself, was absolutely overwhelming.

I was also told I had low B12 and needed injections because my stomach wouldn't absorb it (inosital factor?), and turned out to be allergic to the injection (not badly but got acne all down my neck on the 2nd injection).  Then my Dr checked the bloods and luckily I was able to take supplements (the nurse read the blood test results incorrectly).  Regardless, it cured my sciatica, and now I take B12 drops (never regularly as I'm aware my body doesn't like one or the brands - there are two - but I'm not sure which brand the drops are!!).

When my fear was greatest, I'd knit.  I was too anxious to watch TV and cog-fog didn't allow me to follow the program.  I didn't even know how many stitches I'd put on the needles, but I knitted 2 balls of wool.  A neighbours child used to come and visit me, and somehow I taught her how to knit;  she's moved since, but I swear she was an angel sent from heaven, because I just couldn't say 'no' to her visiting.  So, even through my cog-fog, she taught me that I could speak to people and 'wing it' even though I felt as though I had a look of panic on my face and I said weird things;  I seemed to manage.   

I had windows, mid-afternoon, early on, but they would disappear quickly and I felt as though I had put myself into a living nightmare.  BUT some things could be enjoyable, as long as I didn't try to 'think' about my 'situation'.    I walked a lot, and took photos of anything that looked beautiful, and was surprised that lots of things did look beautiful, despite me feeling as though I was dying.  That was just one of the ways I'd try to 'detract'.    Detract yourself from the nightmare and try to do anything in the 'NOW' without focussing on yesterday or tomorrow;  every second, and every minute, is one step closer to a window, and also, every second and every minute, your brain and body are doing their very best to heal;  all you have to do is hang in there, look after yourself as best you can, and let them xxx

Wise words Kristina, and I was looking for some wise words today..... worst panic attack of my life....  but at two hours it's over....

wild rides these BenZos!

SS

And .. apologies if I made it sound easier than it is.  It is the most challenging mental and physical journey and affects every facet of our lives :-X

And .. apologies if I made it sound easier than it is.  It is the most challenging mental and physical journey and affects every facet of our lives :-X

sure didn't sound easy to me!

SS

Hey Skatootle!  Yes there is a thread here for those in Florida - unbelievably scarey.  I note your signature says you had a 3 month wd;  do you have any lingering symptoms (and congrats after 15 years; I'm sure you have a story worth hearing!!! 💕

• 2 weeks later...

Feel like I'm an alternate universe these days.  Kind of like I'm day dreaming all the time and I can't come back to the real world.  God help us all!!!

It does pass skatootle... I felt once removed and quite far away.. 'derealisation and depersonalisation' DP and DR.  Both I'm guessing are the closest I ever want to be to dementia..... good nutrition and docs in the love;  a cuppa tea is my go-to these days xxx

Hi buddies.  I'm 64 and new to this group.  It's good to know that I'm not the only old-timer here.  I'm also single, no children (never married) and no other family to support me.  So, I'm doing this alone.  Kind of scary at this age.  I'm hopeful that I'm nearing the end of my taper as I cut to 2.5 mg valium on Friday.  I'm cutting .5 mg every two weeks.  It's been a bizarre ride and I feel like I'm on a bad LSD trip all the time (from the description of others as I have no idea what that would be like).  I'm not myself at all and so am hesitant to be around people but need to in order to break the isolation.  It's a paradox.

I did a 4 month hold at 5 mg to move and resumed my taper in early August.  I didn't feel much better during the hold so am tapering as quickly as I can without going into acute withdrawal. I don't feel any particular cut, just an overall decline in cognition and function and feeling as though the "bad LSD trip" is getting worse.  I'm having existential terror, fear, depression, akathisia and memory loss.  I've also developed tinnitus and hearing loss and learned yesterday that my vision has deteriorated markedly in the last 18 months. 

Once I finish the benzo taper, I need to stabilize before resuming my Cymbalta taper.  I decreased from 60 mg to 48 mg of that in May, but had to stop as I was having a terrible time since I was already in benzo withdrawal.  It's a nasty SNRI to get off of, so I still have a long road ahead.  I'm scared I'm going to die before I get off of these drugs.

Sorry to be such a downer, but I'm hoping one day to be able to write a success story.  Until then, it's good to have a place to vent and not be fussed at for doing so. 

Hi gardenlady -- wow -- you have been through a lot!!  We are a strong bunch.  You were able to stabilize when you reinstated? 

Have you thought about holding off on the cymbals taper until you are finished with the benzo withdrawal? Unless there is a pressing reason why you need to get off of it now.

I will be 63 in November.  This has been very challenging.  I am still symptomatic although not as severely as five months ago.  But I have had and still have all of the symptoms you describe.

Carol

Hey Carol Jean.  No, I never stabilized after reinstating...I got worse so tried to taper pretty soon thereafter.  Tapering off of Ativan was a nightmare and impossible for me, so I had to cross taper to Valium.  I've been a mess for over three years. 

I won't attempt to taper the Cymbalta until I am stable from the benzo withdrawal.  I found out the hard way that tapering more than one psych drug at a time is a recipe for disaster. 

4:30am cortisol alarm

24/7 head pulsing

Electric feet

Geographic tongue

RLS

ANXIETY

OMG. You call it that's too????  I call that waking with the fight or flight in the night or early am my cortisol Alarm clock.  Came a la menopause  :(

P.S.  I'm not over 60 but given I went through meno early I feel up there ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I am so glad that I found this group! I don't alone anymore. I am 63 and will be 64 in 5 months. Went through a horrific C/T back in 2002 and finally reinstated 4 months later. I was in abyss of hell. I started tapering pretty quickly after reinstatement as back in those days the forum I was on really pushed getting off. I did manage to taper from 3mg to 1.25mg. I finally had to stop due to life's stressors. It was a good thing though. I have done alright through the years. I have gone up to 2mg over 13-14 years. I posted on another thread that I am sick of being in bondage to Big Pharma. I decided back in July to start my taper again. This time, I will get off, forever! It may be harder because of age, but everyone here has given me much inspiration, hope and encouragement! I am so very grateful! I know everyone here will be healed if not already.

Thanks again for the HOPE! :)

Hi, thanks everyone for your experience. It helps so much to feel connected to othe s who are in the struggle for healing. I'm 63 in Jan. I've been klonopin free since April 26 of this year. The first few months were hell. I know why I've read of people praying to be released from the hell. But I'm turning huge corners now. The lingering fallout is bradycardia and irregular heartbeat and all over nerve pain. It's worse at night. But I'm back out in the community volunteering and such. For me, emngaging in other folk is my best distraction. I just hope the improvements keep coming. I feel more awake and connected than I ever did with the klonopin. I was on it for 20 years and my final dosing was 2 mg/ day. When the doctor suggested upping the dose a few years ago I couldn't do it. I couldn't stay awake. Then other symptoms started. After a lot of research I realized it was the klonopin. When I told the doc I wanted to wean, the suggested taper was so drastic and fast I decided to do it on my own and slower. Whew! Had I gone by the suggested taper schedule, I don't know what would have happened. My slower taper was still hard enough. Keep up the struggle everyone. From the reading I've done we're a worldwide community taking our power back, even if we can't feel that way at the moment. I volunteer at a nursing home and we are bucking the trend of over medication of the over 60's. I'm proud of that as I find natural alternatives for aiding my aging body.

Hi, thanks everyone for your experience. It helps so much to feel connected to othe s who are in the struggle for healing. I'm 63 in Jan. I've been klonopin free since April 26 of this year. The first few months were hell. I know why I've read of people praying to be released from the hell. But I'm turning huge corners now. The lingering fallout is bradycardia and irregular heartbeat and all over nerve pain. It's worse at night. But I'm back out in the community volunteering and such. For me, emngaging in other folk is my best distraction. I just hope the improvements keep coming. I feel more awake and connected than I ever did with the klonopin. I was on it for 20 years and my final dosing was 2 mg/ day. When the doctor suggested upping the dose a few years ago I couldn't do it. I couldn't stay awake. Then other symptoms started. After a lot of research I realized it was the klonopin. When I told the doc I wanted to wean, the suggested taper was so drastic and fast I decided to do it on my own and slower. Whew! Had I gone by the suggested taper schedule, I don't know what would have happened. My slower taper was still hard enough. Keep up the struggle everyone. From the reading I've done we're a worldwide community taking our power back, even if we can't feel that way at the moment. I volunteer at a nursing home and we are bucking the trend of over medication of the over 60's. I'm proud of that as I find natural alternatives for aiding my aging body.

I love that line in bold up there :)

thank you for sharing - it's so very inspirational and yes!! bucking the trend!! too sad that so many over 60s are so over medicated - it's not just wrong - it's unfair.

glad to hear your success story though

thank you

Firefly,

Yes the cortisol mornings are the pits.  Most people have them.  Eventually the cortisol spikes will subside and we will wake up peacefully when the sun is up.  I can’t wait!

Sofa

Thanks for the great uplifting! Every post I read like this gives me more determination, incentive and Hope to be set free from the K. 

• 3 weeks later...

This thread was pushed way down in the list, so I'm posting to lift it back up.  Come on, people over 60....participate in this thread and keep it going!  We need one another's encouragement, so make it a point to check in often.

I'm tapering valium and will cut to 2.15 mg tonight.  I'm doing a partial liquid micro taper and cutting .03 mg each day.  Not sure how long I'll be able to keep up this rate....it's very hard.  But, dry cutting was worse.

I had my 65th birthday last Saturday and went on Medicare Oct 1.  Officially a senior citizen!

Please, please keep posting! 

I am so glad that you brought this thread back up to the top! I will be 64 in March and doing well with my taper. I am dry cutting right now until I get to 1.75mg of K. So far, so good. I will probably make 1 more cut at .0625mg which is 3% of my total dose. Then I will start the water microtaper. It is very encouraging to be with others who are the same age and are determined to get off of these drugs.

I also have deal with balancing my hormones as I had a hysterectomy 20 years ago which resulted in being put on the K. It is a double whammy at times, but I sure have more good days then bad.

I hope and Pray that everyone on here is doing well and hanging in there. I know it will get better and I am excited to becoming liberated!

I am almost 67 and have been on Paxil for years, as well as all the drugs related to Lyme (See signature). I too am glad to have found this thread, since I know age is definitely a factor in healing, but also believe that physical and emotional healing can really happen at any point in life. I am now committed to holding at my 1.74 V until I stabilize: was doing pretty well until the last cut (.06 about a month ago) but now have the old nausea, spine pain, and incredible anxiety/depersonalization. Meditation, homeopathy, and cranial sacral massages are helping but some days (like today) are still rough. I find that any kind of stress - particularly going someplace else, even to visit family or for very pleasant and anticipated experiences - set me back into hell. But I have come to believe in distract, keep moving, go forward. I do not want to lose my life again (as I did when sick with Lyme) and find this community very helpful as a lifeline of encouragement, day to day.