Over 60 help and support.

[Li...]

Your fear is normal. Oh so normal. I hold on to the understanding that until the heart stops beating every part of the human body works very hard toward healing. It's what it's built to do. My sister, who has cancer, was told this. If I wasn't healing, I'd be where I was 3 months ago. That was pure hell. Pure hell it is not anymore. And there are parts of it that have been so very educational, I'm grateful for that. So until I'm gone from here I will continue to pursue the multitude of healing avenues available to choose from. I'll be here anyway, so what the "hey".

I totally agree with this. I was also in hell 3 months ago and would never have believed I would even be able to stay upright for more than 10 minutes in such a short space of time far less be able to get dressed, stay up for 7 hours or more and be able to go out for short walks!  I was convinced I was done for and there was no hope. I also thought I must have done permanent damage to my brain and that I was probably heading for dementia at the very least!

It’s a nightmare of an experience but fear is very much a part of it. In time that decreases though and things start to look a lot more positive. I’ve found it all quite educational as well - I know a lot more about the brain now which I find dead interesting :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ba...]

• [Ma...]

• [or...]

• [Fi...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saying hi...  not been here in a while.  Have probs being consistent with anything recently I guess.

Is it ok to post what you posted in another group?  Don't know the rules here.  I will post but admins can delete if this is a problem.

Just doing so not-well...  sorry to whine but guess am going to ;)

Tried cbd oil with teense of thc (10:1).    Did just a couple drops, seemed to relax me but I did not sleep.  So went to maybe 5 drops and did a few things next day then felt awful and very dried up (eyes) and anxious. And vibrating.  Think it not for me.

I get so anxious about not sleeping  took phenergan-- still up.  So took a lyrica yesterday and uh, I got up to find had knocked over little try where keep water bottle on bedstand.  Don't recall this at all! Is this amnesia?  Found the bottle in my bed comforter finally... but this kind of scary.  Now after sleep and nightmares, feel brain dead and inert.  I am wondering if would be better off on higher dose of a benzo.  Mixing and matchingi is going to confuse things.

Sorry to complain. Have been very depressed, and isolated and alone.  Not good.

Just saying hi...  not been here in a while.  Have probs being consistent with anything recently I guess.

Is it ok to post what you posted in another group?  Don't know the rules here.  I will post but admins can delete if this is a problem.

Tried cbd oil with teense of thc (10:1).    Did just a couple drops, seemed to relax me but I did not sleep.  So went to maybe 5 drops and did a few things next day then felt awful and very dried up (eyes) and anxious. And vibrating.  Think it not for me.

I get so anxious about not sleeping  took phenergan-- still up.  So took a lyrica yesterday and uh, I got up to find had knocked over little try where keep water bottle on bedstand.  Don't recall this at all! Is this amnesia?  Found the bottle in my bed comforter finally... but this kind of scary.  Now after sleep and nightmares, feel brain dead and inert.  I am wondering if would be better off on higher dose of a benzo.  Mixing and matchingi is going to confuse things.

Hi Barbara,

I don't think there are any rules about where we can post.... and posting on different threads can garner more support as different people read and post on them.  I answered you on the LHSG -- we seem to find the same threads. 

I can't take anything with and THC in it -- makes me super anxious! Super anxious!

Have had great success with low dose Remeron....

SS

Sorry things are so awful Barbara - I know when I tried Phenergan it made me pretty groggy the next day - I had more success with Kalms tablets (valerian,hops, gentian) but when I was in acute withdrawal nothing really helped but time.

The memory thing certainly sounds quite normal from what I’ve read but I totally get how scary it must be - your other symptoms seem exactly what most people experience, not that that’s any comfort I’m sure!

I wouldn’t imagine updosing would really help - I would think it would just store up further problems for the future but maybe someone more experienced can help there.

Hello everyone. I do not think I have posted on this thread before.

Any way I am 61 soon to be 62 and tapering Valium. Down to 1.4 mgs but having a very difficult time at this point. Mainly gut/digestive issues.

I’m sure I am not the only one here with that complaint but if anyone has found anything that helps with that stuff I sure would appreciate hearing about it.

Thank you

ATU🙏

Hi ATU,

Welcome.

Congrats on being down so far!  Amazing what we can do on step at a time.... I know lots of folks on the forum that have digestive issues. and there are a few things that have helped.  Maybe try the LHSG for specifics? 

I luckily do not have that issue -- yet, so can offer no practical advice.

Bet others will chime in though!

:smitten:

SS

Hi, just saying hello.

Re the gut issues, would ginger help?  Candied ginger is used on ships for sea sickness/nausea. 

This time of year you may be able to find some sort of ginger drink with real ginger in it (not the watered down ginger ale in the market).  Or, bet you could slice up some ginger poor boiling water on it and have ginger tea.

I find ginger helpful ;)

Hi, just saying hello.

Re the gut issues, would ginger help?  Candied ginger is used on ships for sea sickness/nausea. 

This time of year you may be able to find some sort of ginger drink with real ginger in it (not the watered down ginger ale in the market).  Or, bet you could slice up some ginger poor boiling water on it and have ginger tea.

I find ginger helpful ;)

BarbaraAve,

I do have ginger chews and ginger tea, I too find them soothing for the gut but not all the time.

Still worth continuing though.

:thumbsup:

ATU🙏

,Nausea and constipation was my problem also. I used Dramamine and Nausea chews OTC at you drug store. It really helped. Also try Pepcid chews. these only help stomach upset.

Imodium is good for the gut and diarrhea. Dulcolax for the opposite.

Good Luck

May

Just popping in to say merry Xmas to you all .. I look back on my last Xmas and thought life couldn't be much worse. The sx were crippling the insomnia and fear were over whelming and anxiety particularly around night/ early morning horrible . This will be my first Xmas Ativan free in over 40 years . I would love to say to you hang on in there it is so good benzo free, and while part of that is true it is still a long road ahead.  But I really feel it's worth it. So many of our age came through that era where we are long time users of benzos. It does feel good not to be taking them but the insomnia is crippling at times isn't  it. That has been the one sx that has plagued me all the way through. And although it's better , it's still hard . It's the getting to sleep that's my issue mostly. Still have the nightmares too that leave me sort of disorientated in the morning , like I'm not 'with it ' ! Takes an hour or so to come right .. like the brain needs to click into gear . I think those memory issues plague us all . I so want some good years left..

Anyway regardless of how we feel and where we are in the world we are all in this together . So happy Xmas,  happy holidays to you all .. BB x

Hi, Bozo.  Thanks for popping in.  I am very depressed today.

So what do you do about the insomnia?  I got on these drugs for it so wonder what the heck I'm doing trying to get self off... isn't it better just to take?

I took a lyrica last night and some OTC and did get some sleep but guess the depression is not taking ambien.  I don't know.

Sick of this all and feel very old.  And like I don't know what to do.

Have done zero today.

Enough grumbling...  Happy HOlidays to you, too.

Barbara just wanted you to know I've read you - I've had a rough few days and been in bed mostly but will hopefully manage up later and reply to you on the iPad - I'm on my phone just now and it's pretty useless for typing out a proper reply!

Hang in there!

Hi, Bozo.  Thanks for popping in.  I am very depressed today.

So what do you do about the insomnia?  I got on these drugs for it so wonder what the heck I'm doing trying to get self off... isn't it better just to take?

I took a lyrica last night and some OTC and did get some sleep but guess the depression is not taking ambien.  I don't know.

Sick of this all and feel very old.  And like I don't know what to do.

Have done zero today.

Enough grumbling...  Happy HOlidays to you, too.

Barbara don’t feel bad for feeling bad - I can relate to feeling old and being sick of the whole thing as well. I can see you’re at a real crossroads with the whole benzo issue and just want to offer support. I live on my own too and it’s hard when you don’t have anyone in real life whom you can talk these things over with. Or anyone who understands how hellish it all is.

What was your main reason for trying to come off?  Just the fact they weren’t working any more?

hi am replying.

I was tapering klon because was not working.  I was at 2 mg when my Dad died, it did not help.  So went lower, lower...  was at about 1/3 or less of a .5 when I took mirtazapine and got gravely ill... horrible on and off it.  Sick for most of a year.

Alas, someone in a benzo group insisted it was klon, even tho mirtaz withdrawal apparently has same symptoms as benzo.  So I started to taper even tho drs. said take more stuff and I refused.

So this is where I am now.  (see sig).  Very depressed/anxious and doing nothing and staying in bed and, you know, maybe i needed to stay on them??

aargh.

Thanks for asking, tho.

hi am replying.

I was tapering klon because was not working.  I was at 2 mg when my Dad died, it did not help.  So went lower, lower...  was at about 1/3 or less of a .5 when I took mirtazapine and got gravely ill... horrible on and off it.  Sick for most of a year.

Alas, someone in a benzo group insisted it was klon, even tho mirtaz withdrawal apparently has same symptoms as benzo.  So I started to taper even tho drs. said take more stuff and I refused.

So this is where I am now.  (see sig).  Very depressed/anxious and doing nothing and staying in bed and, you know, maybe i needed to stay on them??

aargh.

Thanks for asking, tho.

It does look like the Mirtazapine mucked you about a bit - were the symptoms bearable when you were reducing the Klonopine previously - I mean before you started the Mirtazapine?  I tried to reduce my Mirtazapine by 50% each week recently and had terrible depression and crying spells so have decided to leave it alone for now.  It sounds like an awful drug to get off.

Is it the Klonopine you’re questioning whether you should have stayed on the higher dose or did you mean you’re wondering if you should have stayed on Mirtazapine - I wasn’t quite sure?

OK, sorry to be unclear!

I was having very uneventful taper off clonazepam, no issues.

Until mirtazapine.

In retrospect, wish I had known how god awful the mirtazapine was.  Would have known can take very long time esp as I basically CT (halved it 5 days then jumped off). 

Had I held the clon, and waited a few months, would know what was what.  As it is, after a month, continued my clon taper.

So no probs on benzos, no prob with the taper I was doing just because thought I would, why not.... til mirtazapine added to the mix for 6 weeks at low dose  ;(

OK, sorry to be unclear!

I was having very uneventful taper off clonazepam, no issues.

Until mirtazapine.

In retrospect, wish I had known how god awful the mirtazapine was.  Would have known can take very long time esp as I basically CT (halved it 5 days then jumped off). 

Had I held the clon, and waited a few months, would know what was what.  As it is, after a month, continued my clon taper.

So no probs on benzos, no prob with the taper I was doing just because thought I would, why not.... til mirtazapine added to the mix for 6 weeks at low dose  ;(

Yep definitely sounds like the Mirtazapine mucked things about - what a shame when the taper was going okay!  Are you still struggling now?

Oh I’m so sorry Barbara.  Do you think you’ll keep going with the taper?  It’s a very tough journey I know - especially on your own without support - but remember you have all of us here to keep you going - you’re not completely alone.  I hope it helps to know others are going through the same nightmare.

I really don't know what to do.

Insomnia was my original problem (before any meds).  Severe. 

Have all the withdrawal symptoms now on the minute clon and the approx 4 mg valium .  Been taking ambien to get some sleep.

No idea what is causing what.  Have internal vibrations (sort of inner trembling) and depression/anxiety...  those are the worse ones, anyhow.

Sleep dr. said take Restoril.

Other drs. said take 25 mg valium and lyrica.

Neuro said he gets people off benzos with doxepine and or gaba...  doxepine feels awful to me and lyrica is really same as gaba and can help with sleep but is sort of strange.

Do not know what to do.  Maybe take ambien til it does not work (which is what will happen) try to slowly get off what am on?  Or, hey, if restoril would work maybe should just stay on that.  ?

I can't take magnesium, btw, tried that.  Tried several supplements.

I don't know.

CBN might be good if I can find dispensary with it (it is legal here).

I really don't know what to do.

Insomnia was my original problem (before any meds).  Severe. 

Have all the withdrawal symptoms now on the minute clon and the approx 4 mg valium .  Been taking ambien to get some sleep.

No idea what is causing what.  Have internal vibrations (sort of inner trembling) and depression/anxiety...  those are the worse ones, anyhow.

Sleep dr. said take Restoril.

Other drs. said take 25 mg valium and lyrica.

Neuro said he gets people off benzos with doxepine and or gaba...  doxepine feels awful to me and lyrica is really same as gaba and can help with sleep but is sort of strange.

Do not know what to do.  Maybe take ambien til it does not work (which is what will happen) try to slowly get off what am on?  Or, hey, if restoril would work maybe should just stay on that.  ?

I can't take magnesium, btw, tried that.  Tried several supplements.

I don't know.

CBN might be good if I can find dispensary with it (it is legal here).

I don’t have enough experience to give you any advice I’m afraid apart from thinking introducing something else to the mix will probably exacerabate the symptoms I would imagine.  I really don’t know.  Maybe you could start a completely new thread asking for advice?

Holy cow! I'm no nuclear psychiatrist, but personally I would never consider adding something else to the mix. For me, that would just really cloud things up. Less is more. Insomnia was a massive problem for me, and I never got any relief until I befriended a holistic psychiatrist. I basically was directed to cleaning up my lifestyle rather than trying more meds. One clinic even told me they could get me off this klonopin in a couple of months by using GABA and doxepine. Thank God I didn't fall for that! Stopping a benzo that quick just lays the groundwork for a miserable existence. A friend tried that route and is really struggling these days. Instead, I followed the directions to eat only real food (nothing processed), drink totally filtered and purified water, get my circadian rhythm in order by going to bed at an earlier time and waking pretty close to the same time the sun comes up, stopped most supplements, got sunshine each day, focused on prayer meditation daily, calm down with nature as much as possible, watch or listened to things everyday that make me laugh (preferably before bedtime), daily coffee enemas done a precise way, trusted my body, learned to heal fast than I taper, etc. etc.

We need to keep searching because our finish line is out there!!

Bless ya!

Ultra2007, it's a vicious circle, but there is a way out besides being six foot under. ha

Thankfully BB can lead to being successful at getting off. So many of us have and many more will. No one ever said it would be easy and for sure it isn't. I tapered slowly, but the post withdrawal are no fun at all. I'm just hanging on until my brain heals, and I can say that I am pretty much back to normal. That's my goal, after finally being free of clonazepam with almost 20 years of being prescribed the drug. I would never add more to the mix, as it just complicates the withdrawal even more.

I'm going to phone consult with a dr. who supposedly knows about benzo withdrawal .I have my notes of what I have taken or not over last year and half, but it is all rather a jumble hard to read, what do you think I need to try to get together prior to talking? Would appreciate input.  I just feel like a big mess, all sweaty today, and seems any progress is microscopic. Benzos lower but then sometimes take ambien or lyrica to get some sleep to keep going.  Yes, I know. Consider have been living with insomnia all my life and never have gotten stable tapering benzos.  Things got awful and put me in acute suffering with mirtazapine, which I am off. (see sig)

I'm going to phone consult with a dr. who supposedly knows about benzo withdrawal .I have my notes of what I have taken or not over last year and half, but it is all rather a jumble hard to read, what do you think I need to try to get together prior to talking? Would appreciate input.  I just feel like a big mess, all sweaty today, and seems any progress is microscopic. Benzos lower but then sometimes take ambien or lyrica to get some sleep to keep going.  Yes, I know. Consider have been living with insomnia all my life and never have gotten stable tapering benzos.  Things got awful and put me in acute suffering with mirtazapine, which I am off. (see sig)

I think if it’s at all possible Barbara try and get your notes in a format which will be clear and easy to read so that you can offer to send it to him/her or at least be clear yourself when you’re reading from them.  My experience of doctors is that they are super busy and need something quick and easily read if they’re going to read anything at all.  And maybe offer to provide a link or info about the Ashton Manual if they’re not familiar with it?  When do you have your phone appointment?  Do you know if this doctor believes in protracted withdrawal?  It would be good if they were able to offer you a proper taper on your own terms to get you stabilised.  This is a rough journey for you.