Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Updosing Support Group

[no...]

Dana,

Thanks for chiming in here and sharing your story. I am beginning to feel like a failure as I feel I will never get off but I look at your signature and history, you still have hope, you are getting it done. Slow and steady, you are definitely right on with that advice.

NJ,

You are certainly not a failure. You will get off. I believe your Mom broke her hip? These life stressors, we can't avoid and have no control of. Over the years, my Mom had a stroke, breast cancer, fell and had to go to rehab.I finally moved her up to where I live and that has helped a lot.  I have a brother who now lives in an ALF due to COPD, stroke etc. It seemed like every time I wanted to start tapering, something major would happen. I thought to myself, Really?

I was wondering if I was ever meant to come off, but something in my Spirit keeps gently prodding me to try and try again. I also had 2 gastric ulcers in 2015. They run in my family. I had to get them healed and I did without any drugs. Just natural supplements. They still flare up with Stress and this is for sure Stressful trying to taper. We do what we have to do to deal with our situations. Yes, I feel like sometimes I will never get off, but again, I have a determined Spirit and am going to keep trying. I am 65 and I have tried to set a goal of 3 years, but I have to be realistic. I have been going at this for years, so please don't feel bad. As I told Valiumnomore, one day we will write our success story!

God Bless,

Dana :)

Great post Dana  :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ca...]

• [NJ...]

• [Ba...]

• [va...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Dana,

Thanks for chiming in here and sharing your story. I am beginning to feel like a failure as I feel I will never get off but I look at your signature and history, you still have hope, you are getting it done. Slow and steady, you are definitely right on with that advice.

NJ,

You are certainly not a failure. You will get off. I believe your Mom broke her hip? These life stressors, we can't avoid and have no control of. Over the years, my Mom had a stroke, breast cancer, fell and had to go to rehab.I finally moved her up to where I live and that has helped a lot.  I have a brother who now lives in an ALF due to COPD, stroke etc. It seemed like every time I wanted to start tapering, something major would happen. I thought to myself, Really?

I was wondering if I was ever meant to come off, but something in my Spirit keeps gently prodding me to try and try again. I also had 2 gastric ulcers in 2015. They run in my family. I had to get them healed and I did without any drugs. Just natural supplements. They still flare up with Stress and this is for sure Stressful trying to taper. We do what we have to do to deal with our situations. Yes, I feel like sometimes I will never get off, but again, I have a determined Spirit and am going to keep trying. I am 65 and I have tried to set a goal of 3 years, but I have to be realistic. I have been going at this for years, so please don't feel bad. As I told Valiumnomore, one day we will write our success story!

God Bless,

Girls, I've been told Builder came off in his 70s, so there's that. I think as we have family obligations, parents, children, then we can't make coming off our priority. If one day nobody depends on us, we might push it more. But is it worth it really? Dana when you had your ulcers did you have to be hospitalized? Hospitalization and having no control over my meds is a recurrent fear (as fear is so rampant in wd).

Dana,

NJ,

God Bless,

Thanks Mary! I am trying to be encouraging to everyone. I know it feels bad. Like a bad dream, but yet I have hope. Since I have been reading the success stories, I have been encouraged further and to keep on. Thanks for your Support to all! Peace and Healing! :)

Dana,

NJ,

God Bless,

Girls, I've been told Builder came off in his 70s, so there's that. I think as we have family obligations, parents, children, then we can't make coming off our priority. If one day nobody depends on us, we might push it more. But is it worth it really? Dana when you had your ulcers did you have to be hospitalized? Hospitalization and having no control over my meds is a recurrent fear (as fear is so rampant in wd).

I heard that Builder did come off in his 70's. If that doesn't inspire us, what will? It is very difficult with family obligations. It has to be a balance. I wish no one depended on me, but they do! My sweet Mom who is 91 really depends on me, although she lives in an Independent Living Facility. Her short term memory is going, but all in all, she is doing good. Of course my husband depends on me, although he is very self sufficient. I want to be here for him, because I love him! My son is 37 and lives in Atlanta. His Fiancee' is in medical school and she will start her residency next year in Psychiatry! Believe me, I have talked with her at length about these drugs and she gets it. My son saw me in Florid withdrawal and didn't think I would live, much less be independent. He thought I was going to end up in a nursing home. He is amazed that I am still here. He was in college at the time. I didn't have to take care of anyone. It has to be very difficult with young children. Really, we have to just take one day at a time and try not to project into the future.

As far as Hospitals, I stay away from them and Pray I never have to be in one. That is my biggest fear, that they will jerk me off. That is why I am getting a medic alert bracelet. I have a card, but who knows if they read it. I try not to think about and stay as healthy as I can. I probably have PTSD about that. I hate hospitals and I was an RN for years and loved taking care of people, but not being a patient. One day at a time is all we have.  :)

Dana great idea. Let's get the medic alert bracelet! I don't know if that even works but I'll check. My therapist says that if you go to hospital with a psychiatrist prescription of what drugs you're taking, they don't dare change it. A different thing is if you get there unconscious and can't speak for yourself and show your psychs instructions.

Dana,

NJ,

God Bless,

Thanks Mary! I am trying to be encouraging to everyone. I know it feels bad. Like a bad dream, but yet I have hope. Since I have been reading the success stories, I have been encouraged further and to keep on. Thanks for your Support to all! Peace and Healing! :)

You are doing a great job, and a lot of people will appreciate it more than you know ;)

Cathy,

I read a post from you from 7/13 stating that you up dosed to 4mg. Then on the 15th it was 3.75mg. Now it is 3.5mg. You may have to go up more and wait! This does not happen overnight as most of us here have told you. You need to find a dose and stick with it. Again, it can take weeks or a month or so to feel better. A lot of us have had that experience. Remember that you were C/T, forced taper and then tried to taper. No wonder you brain is in turmoil. I have been in the agony you are in and had to up dose and not regretted it once. The goal is Stabilize, wait and only then, start a taper very slowly.

Many here are trying to help you.

This post was from today.

Dana,

NJ,

God Bless,

Yes, Dana, my mom broke her hip in February and is now in a nursing home ... did not fully recover. Plus my son's illness, really sick from September until mid April, then fell apart again in late May when we started to wean off him steroids, which is still in progress since he began Humira for likely Crohn's disease three weeks ago. It's been a difficult year. I also changed jobs in April 2018, August 2018 (I got recruited by my current employer, big increase in salary and a much better commute), and now am changing in August 2019. It's been a lot which is why I am updosing and holding. But still have a lot of ups and downs. I hope someday to get off, my new job will be work from home, I think it would be easier to taper with that type of work arrangement.

Hopefully we will all get there someday.

I am really sorry that you are having to go through this. I am also about your Mom and your son. Crohn's  disease is pretty terrible. I know several people that have it. I will be Praying for them.

God Bless you that you can keep working in spite of all of this. Working has to be stressful. I can't imagine.

One day you will be able to taper off. It is something we can't rush and It's alright to have to adjust and do whatever it takes to function. I am glad you will be able to work from home. That should help a lot.

Dana,

NJ,

God Bless,

Yes, Dana, my mom broke her hip in February and is now in a nursing home ... did not fully recover. Plus my son's illness, really sick from September until mid April, then fell apart again in late May when we started to wean off him steroids, which is still in progress since he began Humira for likely Crohn's disease three weeks ago. It's been a difficult year. I also changed jobs in April 2018, August 2018 (I got recruited by my current employer, big increase in salary and a much better commute), and now am changing in August 2019. It's been a lot which is why I am updosing and holding. But still have a lot of ups and downs. I hope someday to get off, my new job will be work from home, I think it would be easier to taper with that type of work arrangement.

Hopefully we will all get there someday.

NJ please get the work from home job. It makes such a difference to be at home. Don't listen to the benzo fear telling you it'll be too much.

Thanks Val and Dana. I woke up today feeling 100 percent better. Yesterday was just a blip. Definitely sticking with the plan to take the new job next month. Hope you both have a great day. Cathy also help you are feeling better today.

Thanks Val and Dana. I woke up today feeling 100 percent better. Yesterday was just a blip. Definitely sticking with the plan to take the new job next month. Hope you both have a great day. Cathy also help you are feeling better today.

YEsssssss!!! NJStrength you're going to do great in that job. Some of us are very perfectionistic and demanding with ourselves, but realize many people just get the job regardless if they'll do a good job or bad. You'll do great. See? Today you feel well. And in the new job, if you have to vomit you just go to your OWN toilet. Much better. Glad you're feeling so much better today.

Hi Dana. Thanks for encouraging us all.

Cathymp how are you doing? Have you decided on what dose you're going to stay? Remember you have to stick to one dose, every single day the same dose. Please keep us posted.

• 3 weeks later...

Because this appears to be about the only thread even somewhat supportive of up-dosing, I think I should report that up-dosing has improved my quality of life so much that I believe my story should be included in "Success Stories".

I've previously reported that my cognitive function improved to normal after up-dosing.

My physical stamina is also improving. For instance, today I scrubbed my large walk in shower from top to bottom which I haven't been able to to do since beginning w/d. I feel fine.

I have been interacting socially with family, friends and the general public on a regular basis. I've made out-of-state trips without difficulty. Since beginning and continuing through w/d I did not feel up to doing that. Now I look forward to social activities and hope to continue finding better and more frequent activities to enjoy life out-of-doors and in nature, especially now that Winter is over and Spring has sprung.

I still don't look forward to mowing the large acreage around my house but, I've never enjoyed doing that. The grass is greening up so I know I'll be going back and forth, zig-zagging between trees within a week. However, at least I don't dread doing that like I did during w/d. It's just one of those things that needs to be done. I'll just plug in my ear buds & whistle while I work. ;) 

So, I'll conclude this post by saying up-dosing is likely the best decision I've made since trying to w/d from a benzo.

Whatever decisions are made and whatever consequences occur, I truly wish the best for everyone.

It's been a while since I last reported on my successful up-dosing.

Things are going very well for me again. My stamina has returned and I'm feeling physically and mentally fit.

I'm having a fantastic summer with family and friends. I go out for breakfast nearly every morning, I enjoy dinners out and other social events often, I hang out with my friends nearly every day, I visit my out-of-state kids & grandkids regularly, I'm enjoying all day boating/swimming activities, I've attended several racing and other sporting events, I eat and drink whatever I want.

Generally, life for me is very good again and I'm enjoying retirement as a person should be able to do.

My intent in posting this is not to brag, exaggerate or to influence others but rather to provide an update for those interested in what a successful up-dose has done for me.

Best Wishes For All :)

Because this appears to be about the only thread even somewhat supportive of up-dosing, I think I should report that up-dosing has improved my quality of life so much that I believe my story should be included in "Success Stories".

I've previously reported that my cognitive function improved to normal after up-dosing.

My physical stamina is also improving. For instance, today I scrubbed my large walk in shower from top to bottom which I haven't been able to to do since beginning w/d. I feel fine.

I have been interacting socially with family, friends and the general public on a regular basis. I've made out-of-state trips without difficulty. Since beginning and continuing through w/d I did not feel up to doing that. Now I look forward to social activities and hope to continue finding better and more frequent activities to enjoy life out-of-doors and in nature, especially now that Winter is over and Spring has sprung.

I still don't look forward to mowing the large acreage around my house but, I've never enjoyed doing that. The grass is greening up so I know I'll be going back and forth, zig-zagging between trees within a week. However, at least I don't dread doing that like I did during w/d. It's just one of those things that needs to be done. I'll just plug in my ear buds & whistle while I work. ;) 

So, I'll conclude this post by saying up-dosing is likely the best decision I've made since trying to w/d from a benzo.

Whatever decisions are made and whatever consequences occur, I truly wish the best for everyone.

Things are going very well for me again. My stamina has returned and I'm feeling physically and mentally fit.

I'm having a fantastic summer with family and friends. I go out for breakfast nearly every morning, I enjoy dinners out and other social events often, I hang out with my friends nearly every day, I visit my out-of-state kids & grandkids regularly, I'm enjoying all day boating/swimming activities, I've attended several racing and other sporting events, I eat and drink whatever I want.

Generally, life for me is very good again and I'm enjoying retirement as a person should be able to do.

My intent in posting this is not to brag, exaggerate or to influence others but rather to provide an update for those interested in what a successful up-dose has done for me.

Hey FI...  Probs why we havnt seen you for a while..!!?? 

So your basically back “on med” and sticking to that..?? -For the foreseeable future atleast..??

Hope it continues to work well for you.. And if not, that you are in a better position to contend with it at a future date if need be...

Be well..

Wow, Fi.  Jealous of you I must say.

You upped it and after how long did you feel decent again?

Thx.

That your only psych med?

Good for you.

What happened with Cathy?  She feeling any better?

Hi FI. I'm so happy you're enjoying your retirement like a person deserves. I updosed a month ago and I improved very little in the beginning. But now after one month I have some odd days, like today, of feeling almost like a normal person. I hope I continue improving. After a whole month of feeling like a normal person with wds (not like a madwoman which I had become), I will consider tapering again at a much much lower pace. My only concern: prescriptions and will my doctor abandon me. Other than that, I wouldn't mind how long it takes as long as my daughter has a sane mother to rely on, like she has today. Thank you for your share. You are very brave to make your own personal decision and tell us about it.

Um, I'm on 3 meds (.sig)

I took an entire ambien the other night.  I slept and woke up felt great! 

Then went back to me 2/3 or 3/4 of one and feel horrible today.

Don't know what to do.

Just another quick update:

I ran a chainsaw and bulldozer all day today clearing some wooded acreage, showered, and just returned from dinner with a friend. I guess one could say my stamina has returned to pre-withdrawal attempt levels and up-dosing most certainly worked for me.

I'm hoping whatever decisions you make work for you too!

Best Wishes

Just another quick update:

I ran a chainsaw and bulldozer all day today clearing some wooded acreage, showered, and just returned from dinner with a friend. I guess one could say my stamina has returned to pre-withdrawal attempt levels and up-dosing most certainly worked for me.

I'm hoping whatever decisions you make work for you too!

Best Wishes

FI Addendum I'm so happy to hear you're enjoying life so much. I'm curious to know which was the worst symptom that made you updose, and why up to 1 mg from 0.25. Did you start a lower dose first and that didn't work?

Valium,

good questions!! Fi, yes, would like to know the details in your journey. 

Is this the only med you are on or is something else helping as well?

Thanks, Fi!  Good for you!

Valium,

good questions!! Fi, yes, would like to know the details in your journey. 

Is this the only med you are on or is something else helping as well?

Thanks, Fi!  Good for you!

Hi Barbara,

I commiserate with your sleeping problem. This is my worst issue too. When I'm not in wd it's still there due to obsessive thinking, worst case scenario thinking, catastrophizing... Last night I spent it thinking no doctor would prescribe valium and I'd have to CT. Which could happen yes, but what's the point of thinking about it? And it doesn't seem very likely to happen right now but still, I obsess. How are you sleeping lately?

Um, I'm on 3 meds (.sig)

I took an entire ambien the other night.  I slept and woke up felt great! 

Then went back to me 2/3 or 3/4 of one and feel horrible today.

Don't know what to do.

Barbara,

If you felt great with the whole ambien, why not just try to see if that helps and take the whole one every night? I really think since you have been suffering so long you really need to try something different to get relief. You deserve relief.

Hi, NJ.

Well I know if I up it I will get used to it-- been there before.  So if I back off some then it works again.  But as I said felt horrible after one good night then horrible day/night.

I don't ever have good nights, really... had this prob since before benzos.  NOTHING else I could tolerate so that is why have BEEN on benzos.

I just don' tsee an answer.  Hey I would take 10 pills if I could feel normal for the next few years.

Yes, insomnia is the worst as it impacts all the rest.  That is my opinion, anyhow.  Body does not repair without sleep.

Valium,

Yeah it is hard to know about the hysteria that is whipped up about the non prescribing, etc.  I've totally been obsessed about 'getting off,' and that is far from healthy.  I just want 'stable' and take it from there but don' tknow if ever will get there and then what do I do?

Also, in my isolated situation, don't know what to do.  It is stress if I were to move to assisted living (hey, moving to anything is a scress).  But if paid for assistance in tiny place, that is stress as well, as I don' thave a schedule.  Or, knowing I have to do something really stresses me.

So I am isolated. ;(  wah.

I really was a bit shocked there are zero social services.  I mean zero.  No wonder thi scountry is such a mess with no sense of community whatsoever.

end of rant.