Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Updosing Support Group

[no...]

Hi everyone

I am hoping for some help and advice.

I was taking klonopin at 2mg a night for  1 year and then went down to 1.5 mg a night for 55nights from September to end of November 2018. In December 2018 I lost track of my intake and started taking the klonopin sporadically every night from December - mid February 2019, ranging from 1.5mg -0.5mg.  My PDoc said this yo- yo dosing was ok, but clearly it wasn’t.  About 2 weeks ago I had the horror shock that it had been the medication causing all my horrible symptoms and that I have basically been in withdrawal since December 2018.  So I started taking 1mg every night for the last 2 weeks trying to stabilize. I don’t know if I should go to 1.5mg since that is the last dose I remember  not feeling strange back at the end of November 2018.  I have taken 1.5mg since then but sporadically as I mentioned above.

Do you think I will stabilize and these crazy feeling will go away on 1mg?  Please help!

I need some advice because it’s been almost two weeks that I have been stable on 1mg on klonopin and even though my head symptoms seem to have improved a little bit they are not good and I have internal tremors, Gi issues,  emotional issues and other issues.  The last time I remember feeling normal was when I was taking 1.5mg in November 2018.  My father wants to send me for testing and I am almost ready to cave in. Because I am not sure what to do.  I don’t know if I should go to the 1.5mg and if that will help, and how long it will tale for me to know. My original dose was 2mg, but I am just so scared and unsure because I think some of this might be what some people call derealization but I’m not entirely sure.  Everyday feels hard to get through, but I don’t know if I can heal and stabilize if I just stay at the 1mg. I desperately need advice....

It's been my experience that sporadic use and sporadic dosages do not help symptoms. You may find that using 1.5mg/day, split twice a day (.75mg in the morning & .75mg in the evening) may help you return to how you felt before trying to taper. You should obtain your prescribing physician's approval before making changes to your treatment plan. best wishes

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ca...]

• [NJ...]

• [Ba...]

• [va...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for replying.

I think today makes two weeks that I have been steady on 1mg a night on the klonopin and sometimes I feel like I “think” I feel  better but then minutes later as I look around I panicked realizing that maybe I don’t actually feel better.

I am concerned with going to the 1.5mg because I don’t know if it will help. And also, I am not sure if it may make things worse in some way.  I keep telling myself to give it more time on the steady 1mg but then I fear I’m losing time to go back to 1.5mg if that might help too.

Any thoughts would be so helpful.

Thanks for replying.

I think today makes two weeks that I have been steady on 1mg a night on the klonopin and sometimes I feel like I “think” I feel  better but then minutes later as I look around I panicked realizing that maybe I don’t actually feel better.

I am concerned with going to the 1.5mg because I don’t know if it will help. And also, I am not sure if it may make things worse in some way.  I keep telling myself to give it more time on the steady 1mg but then I fear I’m losing time to go back to 1.5mg if that might help too.

Hey HnLoyalty, we really need you to do a drug signature, we can't see your whole picture.  It gives us a time line also on when you tapered or updosed.  Those things are very important  :)

Thanks for replying.

Hey HnLoyalty, we really need you to do a drug signature, we can't see your whole picture.  It gives us a time line also on when you tapered or updosed.  Those things are very important  :)

I am new and don’t know how to set up a signature yet. Below is a timeline of my story, but it’s rather long. I really appreciate all those who take time to read it and give me advice.

- I have been taking 0.5mg - 1mg of klonopin for years but not everyday for the first few years.

-

- 2017 I started taking 1mg almost every night for sleep due to undiagnosed severe RA at the time.

-

- March 2018 I switched pdocs and new doc increased my klonopin to 2mg every night for sleep due to increased anxiety/pain and issues with undiagnosed RA. I took this dose every night until September 2018 when my RA became more controlled.

-

- September 2018 - November 20th 2018 - I dropped from 2mg to 1.5mg of klonopin. I don’t recall any strange feelings.

- November 20th 2018 - December 8th 2018 - I dropped to 1mg (but told my pdoc I hadn’t been sleeping so I may need to fluctuate between 1.5mg and she said that was fine. She said to track my average for a month)

- December 8th 2018 - February 17th 2019 - I stopped tracking my klonopin intake entirely. I think I went into withdrawal in December but I didn’t know. I had a bunch of problems and symptoms including losing track of time, and other issues that I thought was happening due to a set back I had with my RA condition. I was going to doctors during this period trying to figure out what was wrong with me, including the emergency room for heart palpitations and other issues. I think during this time I was taking 1mg some nights and 1.5mg some nights and none other nights. I didn’t stop cold turkey because a bottle is missing.

- February 18th 2019 - March 5th 2019  I started tracking my intake again and it was very sporadic:

- 2/18 1.5mg

- 2/19 none

- 2/20 1mg

- 2/21 1mg

- 2/22 1mg

- 2/23 0.5mg

- 2/24 0.5mg

- 2/25 0.5mg

- 2/26 1.5mg

- 2/27 0.5mg

- 2/28 0.5mg

- 3/1 none

- 3/2 none

- 3/3 1.5mg

- 3/4 1mg

- 3/5 none

- 3/6 1mg

- 3/7 1mg

- 3/8 1mg

- 3/9 1mg

- 3/10 -3/26 - I alternated 0.5mg one night and 1mg the next night. I think I was trying to straighten things out.

- 3/27 - I fell apart! I was in so much pain and discomfort and didn’t know what was causing it I finally stopped and looked at the klonopin in horror. I texted my pdoc who told me to take 1mg and come see her.

- 3/27 - 4/7 - I have been taking 1mg steadily every night.

I don’t know why I was this sporadic with the medication, but my symptoms just persisted, changing in nature but my level of discomfort grew. I couldn’t eat, sleep, I had serious GI issues, I lost smell, things looked very strange and my head felt extremely weird among other issues.

Thanks for replying.

I am new and don’t know how to set up a signature yet. Below is a timeline of my story, but it’s rather long. I really appreciate all those who take time to read it and give me advice.

- I have been taking 0.5mg - 1mg of klonopin for years but not everyday for the first few years.

-

- 2017 I started taking 1mg almost every night for sleep due to undiagnosed severe RA at the time.

-

- March 2018 I switched pdocs and new doc increased my klonopin to 2mg every night for sleep due to increased anxiety/pain and issues with undiagnosed RA. I took this dose every night until September 2018 when my RA became more controlled.

-

- September 2018 - November 20th 2018 - I dropped from 2mg to 1.5mg of klonopin. I don’t recall any strange feelings.

- November 20th 2018 - December 8th 2018 - I dropped to 1mg (but told my pdoc I hadn’t been sleeping so I may need to fluctuate between 1.5mg and she said that was fine. She said to track my average for a month)

- December 8th 2018 - February 17th 2019 - I stopped tracking my klonopin intake entirely. I think I went into withdrawal in December but I didn’t know. I had a bunch of problems and symptoms including losing track of time, and other issues that I thought was happening due to a set back I had with my RA condition. I was going to doctors during this period trying to figure out what was wrong with me, including the emergency room for heart palpitations and other issues. I think during this time I was taking 1mg some nights and 1.5mg some nights and none other nights. I didn’t stop cold turkey because a bottle is missing.

- February 18th 2019 - March 5th 2019  I started tracking my intake again and it was very sporadic:

- 2/18 1.5mg

- 2/19 none

- 2/20 1mg

- 2/21 1mg

- 2/22 1mg

- 2/23 0.5mg

- 2/24 0.5mg

- 2/25 0.5mg

- 2/26 1.5mg

- 2/27 0.5mg

- 2/28 0.5mg

- 3/1 none

- 3/2 none

- 3/3 1.5mg

- 3/4 1mg

- 3/5 none

- 3/6 1mg

- 3/7 1mg

- 3/8 1mg

- 3/9 1mg

- 3/10 -3/26 - I alternated 0.5mg one night and 1mg the next night. I think I was trying to straighten things out.

- 3/27 - I fell apart! I was in so much pain and discomfort and didn’t know what was causing it I finally stopped and looked at the klonopin in horror. I texted my pdoc who told me to take 1mg and come see her.

- 3/27 - 4/7 - I have been taking 1mg steadily every night.

I don’t know why I was this sporadic with the medication, but my symptoms just persisted, changing in nature but my level of discomfort grew. I couldn’t eat, sleep, I had serious GI issues, I lost smell, things looked very strange and my head felt extremely weird among other issues.

Ok HL, not a Dr, just someone like you trying to get out of this mess and believe me, most of us have made them because we had no help.  I think you are in tolerance.  You have been at the same averages dose for quite awhile.  Basically that means, your body was use to that amount, it was no longer helps and wanted more.  Giving it more usually only helps for a little while and then the body and brain want more.

Well, we can't keep doing that, so I think at this point, imo, you should go back to the average, which was 1.5 , hold there until you are feeling somewhat stable.  I won't lie to you, this could take sometime.  You are pretty symptomatic, being stable doesn't mean, no symptoms, you feel great, it means the symptoms you have are manageable.  While that is happening, study all the different ways to taper.  Ask questions, read posts, and we will find the one you' re most comfortable with. 

This isn't going to be easy, it's been going on now for awhile.  When you get to the point you can taper. You need to go slow.  Everyone thinks they can do this quickly.  You can't.  The whole point of the taper is to keep enough benzo in your body to keep your symptoms under control .  Hopefully, that will allow you to feel well enough to have a life while this is happening, but you have to go slow .  I am no expert, so I hope more people respond, but that's the best advice I can give you.  We are always here, wish you lots of luck.  Post just to vent if you need too, we understand.  Mary 💜

Well I don't know what to do and lying Aflat on back, nonfunctional... way worse than 2 1/2 yrs ago.  Input?

As you can see...  was tapring clon. uneventfully til too mirtaz... which pushed me off a cliff.

Then got advice to go on to valium, but this was a mistake as was on < .25 clon .

Cut to now: on valium, mostly, about 4 mg.  Recently tried to get bac on clonopin by slowly retapering over...  that has not gone well.

I can't up valium; it makes me sick.

I did add about a small quarter of a tab of clon to valium on night and felt better.  The net night, not so much.

Worst probs are insomnia, fatigue, depression, panic, agoraphobi, not driving, not wanting to live this way, vibrations, hot/cold intolerance, on and on.

Also since URI my voice disappears...  my cough is worse... ondering if tho my thyroid tests ok if it is not.  Am on synthroid for lie  45 yrs.....

Barbara,

It can take a while for an updose to work. So a little more K one night leaving you feeling better and then the next night not is not that much of a surprise. You need at least two weeks of consistent dosing to know.

It sounds like you have a cold with the cough. Have you seen a doctor?

I did updose two nights and felt better, last night forgot to take more and my stomach is just a mess again today. I am not sure this is all about the K though. I really feel that I need to figure out from a dietary perspective what is causing all of my issues.

NJ,

Sorry I not been on much.  Been hopeless and no energy.

The cough have had for years.  In the beginning, had it checked with chest xray and scope down throat.  It comes and goes (mostly comes)... and since URI in January is worse.  Who knows, but am so ill I can't do much and run to drs.

I did go back to the valium and crumb of clon but just can't seem to stay the course with anything.

I am open minded-- too open minded!  Or mind has just shriveled, I don't know.  Dr. initially said ok to up ambien, which did help,but not now.  Then up the valium, which I can't do now without feeling sick.  A few years back switched out valium back to clon, and was ok for 2 days then not... but that was a switch.  Then was trying to cross gradually back, and was not good (but maybe did not give enough time).

Dr. has also suggested just take something else:  ativan.  i was afraid to try.

Is it possible a totally new benzo might help?  I just want to get stable and functional!  Then could maybe have decent taper.  But reading posts, I see I have been in acute for years!  Trembles, sweats, cold, not thinking, deprssion, fear of everything-- you name it.

NOT to say I was great before onset of acute 2 1/2 years ago from mirtazapine...  I had fears and was introverted, avoidant, and always the sleep issue..    but just nothing like this.

Open to suggestions, thx....

I just wanted to update that I updosed from .5 mg of K to .75 mg about two weeks ago. I just could not stand the depression/nausea anymore. I just have too much on my plate to feel absolutely terrible all the time. I am feeling so much better. Have had no episodes of sobbing in the shower or to/from work. Nausea is much better--although in all honestly I think I have gall bladder issues, really need another appointment with the gastro.

It was a really hard decision to make as I have tried for almost three years to taper down from 1 mg and only got down to .5 mg successfully. Giving up that progress was hard but I need a break. In the past year I have had two job changes, both self-initiated, my 16 year old son became ill in September and while he is on high dose steroids right now which is helping, we still do not have a diagnosis and I suspect things will get worse again when we taper the steroid May 1, mom fell and broke her hip, and the whole perio-menopause hormonal stuff is really messing me up. I am just so tired. This seems to be helping.

I don't know where I will go from here. My psych feels comfortable with me being on up to 1.5 mg of K a day, so if I need to go up further I can. Hopefully I won't need to.

Just wanted to post this for others who may wonder if an updose can pull them out of a bad place.

I also did just do my repeat mammogram/breast ultrasound, and thankfully that came back negative so one less thing to wory about.

I just wanted to update that I updosed from .5 mg of K to .75 mg about two weeks ago. I just could not stand the depression/nausea anymore. I just have too much on my plate to feel absolutely terrible all the time. I am feeling so much better. Have had no episodes of sobbing in the shower or to/from work. Nausea is much better--although in all honestly I think I have gall bladder issues, really need another appointment with the gastro.

It was a really hard decision to make as I have tried for almost three years to taper down from 1 mg and only got down to .5 mg successfully. Giving up that progress was hard but I need a break. In the past year I have had two job changes, both self-initiated, my 16 year old son became ill in September and while he is on high dose steroids right now which is helping, we still do not have a diagnosis and I suspect things will get worse again when we taper the steroid May 1, mom fell and broke her hip, and the whole perio-menopause hormonal stuff is really messing me up. I am just so tired. This seems to be helping.

I don't know where I will go from here. My psych feels comfortable with me being on up to 1.5 mg of K a day, so if I need to go up further I can. Hopefully I won't need to.

Just wanted to post this for others who may wonder if an updose can pull them out of a bad place.

I also did just do my repeat mammogram/breast ultrasound, and thankfully that came back negative so one less thing to wory about.

NJ, so happy your mammogram came back good!  Hope your Mom is recovering.  You have to do what helps you feel ok , until they find out about your son.  I swear I hope it's soon.  Has he managed to gain some weight with the heavy dose of steroids?  I hope you can relax and enjoy Easterwith your family.  Love you , you are in our thoughts.  Thank you for posting to keep us caught up.  Love you, Mary 🐣🐣🐣🐣.    🐇🐇🐇🐇🍄🍄🍄.    🥕🥕🥕

Mary,

no weight gain with the steroids, which is shocking. So really worried about weaning him off and how he will do. Sick since September, it has been such a long time.

Mary,

no weight gain with the steroids, which is shocking. So really worried about weaning him off and how he will do. Sick since September, it has been such a long time.

I know NJ, they are so hard on your body, I would be scared too.  You hold on tight and pray they find out what's wrong.  That is hard to understand.  We are all here for you  :smitten: :smitten:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Mary.

You and your family are in our thoughts, please keep us posted 💝💕💘💝💕💘

• 1 month later...

Stoppin by to say hi.  NJ, how are you?  How is your son?

Not many folks updose do they?  Or are they in another group or site or some such?

I have been too sick to post, I am one of those ridiculous cases.  Tried to get back to clon from valium and now stuc on half and half, plus ambien.

I think either I get of already or go back up (I guess on clonopin).

Any ideas?

Worse side effects are fear/agoraphobia/depresion/fatigue/INSOMNIA (which had prior) / oh and the inner trembling which is very often there.

Am thinking even  if it takes lyrica to get me off to get off.  Many seem to have to take something to get off, it seems.  However, for decades clonopin wa ok for me, ADs always had issues... so don't think can take or sleep and need to sleep.

Thanks!!

Not many folks updose do they?  Or are they in another group or site or some such?

I have been too sick to post, I am one of those ridiculous cases.  Tried to get back to clon from valium and now stuc on half and half, plus ambien.

Any ideas?

Worse side effects are fear/agoraphobia/depresion/fatigue/INSOMNIA (which had prior) / oh and the inner trembling which is very often there.

Am thinking even  if it takes lyrica to get me off to get off.  Many seem to have to take something to get off, it seems.  However, for decades clonopin wa ok for me, ADs always had issues... so don't think can take or sleep and need to sleep.

Thanks!!

Barbara,

Sorry you are not in a good place. I think many people just abandon their tapers and disappear from BB. If you are updosing and not tapering a lot of people would just leave.

My son is starting to falter again on his steroid wean. We see the doctor on Wednesday to discuss next steps. I have had a lot of anxiety/depression and am struggling again. Not sure what to do. Started with a new therapist, which is helping me. Even though I have changed jobs twice in last year saw something yesterday that would let me work from home ... applied last night and will interview Wednesday. I need to have more flexibility and not have to get up and go every day. I am tired. This is so up and down with his health and I don't think there is an end in sight right now. It will be trial and error to find the right medication for him. Still not 100 percent sure on diagnosis. And forget my taper. I have doubled my dose since September to hold onto some degree of being functional.

Do any doctors have recommendations on what you should do? Have you considered working with a therapist for support ... some are even available online via telemedicine.

So no diagnosis still???  gad

Yeah steroids are hard to deal with.

I'm glad you have a good terapist.

I can't go out, mostly.  Did see social worker may have back.  But I can't take stress and with my sleep rhythm prob scheduling days is all a stress.  Yeah, I have nultiple things wrong.

Doing it on computer have heard of... you subscribe to a service and do it, I guess.  TalkSpace is one I think.

My hair is very very very thin now.  So depressing.

Wonder if it would come back if I updosed... wonder if anything good would come of that.

Did you feel better when you too your dosages??

Maybe look at Valley's signature? I believe she was completely off but went back on and last I saw (I have not been on much) she seemed to be tapering well and slowly. Maybe she can help. For me, the updoses are keeping me mostly sane. If I did not have such extreme stress with the ups and downs of my son's illness, I think I would be doing really well. Unfortunately my sister had Crohn's and nearly died from it, so I am definitely having PTSD-like reaction to his illness, as that is what they think it is.

Life is hard and throws us curve balls. I just think you need to find some stability somehow and get your confidence back. Easier said than done.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Barbara,

Sorry you are not in a good place. I think many people just abandon their tapers and disappear from BB. If you are updosing and not tapering a lot of people would just leave.

My son is starting to falter again on his steroid wean. We see the doctor on Wednesday to discuss next steps. I have had a lot of anxiety/depression and am struggling again. Not sure what to do. Started with a new therapist, which is helping me. Even though I have changed jobs twice in last year saw something yesterday that would let me work from home ... applied last night and will interview Wednesday. I need to have more flexibility and not have to get up and go every day. I am tired. This is so up and down with his health and I don't think there is an end in sight right now. It will be trial and error to find the right medication for him. Still not 100 percent sure on diagnosis. And forget my taper. I have doubled my dose since September to hold onto some degree of being functional.

Do any doctors have recommendations on what you should do? Have you considered working with a therapist for support ... some are even available online via telemedicine.

NJ, so sorry to hear about your son but going to send you lots of luck on the job you applied for, I think that would help your stress level so much.  Thinking of you and your son!  Please let us know about the job and how your son is doing.  Love you, Mary ♥️

OMG am I happy to find this thread!!

I was doing a super slow taper (2% a month) for last 2 years and got down to .16 Sandoz brand clonazepam. Sandoz was discontinued so after a terrible experience trying to switch to Activas, went with brand name Klonopin. I have been switched over for 6 weeks now and it's been hellish-feels like acute withdrawel. My Dr. told me to go ahead an updose 2 weeks ago-so I conservatively went up to .2 (and feeling guilty and angry as hell about updosing). I am still feeling wretched. I own a business and on my taper up until the K I was functional-now barely. I have been toying with updosing more but am so hesitant to....so any words of advice would be greatly welcomed!!!

ddjohn,

I was down from 1 mg of K down to .33 mg or so (took years), when my 16 year old son got sick in September right after I had started a new job. I had to be functional. I was a total mess at the time and some of the early signs of his illness (weight loss) I had not really noticed as I was so sick myself. Went up to .5 mg which really helped but with continuing symptoms of nausea/anxiety/depression I went up to .75 mg a few weeks ago, so I have more than doubled my dose since September. I don't feel good about it; but I do feel good that I have been able to manage (somedays barely) my son's illness and working full time. I hope to taper someday but not now. I have no regrets. My doctor feels comfortable with me going up to 1.5 mg if needed daily but I hope to keep it to .75.

There are others on here who have updosed, held, some for a long time and eventually figured out how to taper at a later time. I hope I am one of those people. I would like to be off someday.

Good luck. Everyone's journey is different and we all just have to do the best we can.

OMG am I happy to find this thread!!

I was doing a super slow taper (2% a month) for last 2 years and got down to .16 Sandoz brand clonazepam. Sandoz was discontinued so after a terrible experience trying to switch to Activas, went with brand name Klonopin. I have been switched over for 6 weeks now and it's been hellish-feels like acute withdrawel. My Dr. told me to go ahead an updose 2 weeks ago-so I conservatively went up to .2 (and feeling guilty and angry as hell about updosing). I am still feeling wretched. I own a business and on my taper up until the K I was functional-now barely. I have been toying with updosing more but am so hesitant to....so any words of advice would be greatly welcomed!!!

I am sorry you are feeling wretched.  I don’t have any advice to offer but I do have a few questions.  Am I remembering correctly that you are tapering using a “water titration” method you found on YouTube?  If so, I wonder if you are using a solvent such as vodka or propylene glycol to dissolve your tablet before you add water? If not, then the clonazepam is not going into solution and consequently is not uniformly distributed throughout the liquid.  So, when you measure out your liquid, you have no way of knowing what your actual dose is.  I wonder if these possible dose fluctuations, along with your being switched to a different generic and then to brand, might be contributing to your distress?

When I was on the Sandoz I only used water and it seemed to go fine-but I am toying with using whole milk now on the K. I have tried alcohol and the prop glyc and my body didn't like either of those :-( I am just so frustrated to go from doing fairly well, to really awful. I have updosed slightly, but it doesn't seem to have helped at all. I guess all there is, is to just wait it out and hope it gets better. So I normally dissolve a pill in 300 ml of water...do I just substitute that for 300 ml of whole milk? How long is that good for? Thanks!

When I was on the Sandoz I only used water and it seemed to go fine-but I am toying with using whole milk now on the K. I have tried alcohol and the prop glyc and my body didn't like either of those :-( I am just so frustrated to go from doing fairly well, to really awful. I have updosed slightly, but it doesn't seem to have helped at all. I guess all there is, is to just wait it out and hope it gets better. So I normally dissolve a pill in 300 ml of water...do I just substitute that for 300 ml of whole milk? How long is that good for? Thanks!

That’s great that you are considering using milk to create your tapering liquid. I think this will help smooth out your taper (in addition to giving your CNS some more time to adjust to the change from Sandoz to Actavis to brand/Klonopin).  My understanding is that clonazepam does dissolve in full fat, homogenized milk.  But please ask the experts for assistance by posting to Titration Taper Plans.  Please include the strength of the clonazepam tablet you are using.  For example, if you dissolve a 1.0 mg tablet in 300 ml of milk, you will create a 1 mg/300 ml = .00333...  solution.  That’s extremely dilute and also challenging to work with math-wise.  The folks on the Titration Taper Plans board can help you make a solution that is as dilute as you want but also easier to work with math-wise.  Wishing you all the best as you continue forward with your taper!