and sleep. Then I plan dry cuts

5% every 2 wks

big challlenge I suddenly got IBS

type symptoms over past 2 weeks.

Hope it is passing thing.

I also have other symptoms.

Discuss later maybe. Please

wish me and us all luck. Ty

Healthy me, especially if you are having symptoms before even cutting, maybe you should do a smaller cut first, 3 percent? And if I were you I'd suggest letting go of a schedule ... if you listen to your body while you are tapering rather than pushing through symptoms, it may take longer but you will be more likely to succeed. IBS symptoms are very common in withdrawal so that may linger. Or maybe you will be lucky!

I am holding at 1 mg cloz

I am monitoring my stability

and sleep. Then I plan dry cuts

5% every 2 wks

big challlenge I suddenly got IBS

type symptoms over past 2 weeks.

Hope it is passing thing.

I also have other symptoms.

Discuss later maybe. Please

wish me and us all luck. Ty

Healthy me, especially if you are having symptoms before even cutting, maybe you should do a smaller cut first, 3 percent? And if I were you I'd suggest letting go of a schedule ... if you listen to your body while you are tapering rather than pushing through symptoms, it may take longer but you will be more likely to succeed. IBS symptoms are very common in withdrawal so that may linger. Or maybe you will be lucky!

Good point. I've done nothing but a symptoms-based taper the last couple of years due to all of the consistent life stressors that have/had been going on (surgeries, spouse cancer, etc.). I don't even have a schedule or look at how much I've cut in past months or weeks. That process has helped a lot. Sometimes we get fixated on daily cuts and finish lines. Like someone once told me, the object isn't just to get off the drug...the object is to get off the drug healthy! If I'm feeling bad, stressed or have a stressful event coming up, then I just sit tight with my current dosage. I've never up dosed as a result. I've had to go super slow during this taper, but 25 years of psych med drugs at ridiculous strengths causes that sometimes. Working full-time doesn't help either, but we all play with the deck we've been given :)

Hang in there!

Jeff

Have been offline, taking care of myself, but I’m functioning and even doing well for the most part.

I asked my pharmacist if they did compounding. This was really my way of letting them know that I’m tapering off and that this is a positive thing. They said unfortunately they do not. At least it was one more person who made them aware that these drugs are tricky. I read my insert this month and the language is much more plain-speak but also a lot more warnings. I was glad to see that.

Right now I’m taking 0.31, divided into 0.25 in pill form (half of a .5) and 0.06 in homebrew liquid form. Hope everyone is hanging in there.

Just as a side note, I think it’s absolutely ridiculous to expect people to thrive on a dry cut taper, meaning increments of 0.125mg K. I work and I couldn’t “afford” to try this using increments of .125 but am really curious how I would have done with that “plan”, though I’ll never know now!

Hi, not sure why I'm posting, guess I just need a buddy.

I've been at .0833 for a month and am under tremendous stress.

I developed a nasty pinched nerve in August 2019 and the neurosurgeon now says I need spinal surgery to prevent me from becoming paralyzed (it's called a level 2 ACDF surgery for cervical stenosis with myelopathy.) I've gotten 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th opinions and it's unanimous - surgery is required. I'm absolutely terrified. The insomnia is severe - I get 3-4 hours of very broken sleep. I'm having palpitations, hot flushes, panic attacks, nightmares, tinnitus, hyperacusis, sensitivity to light, IBS, muscle spasms - in addition to the nerve pain and tingling and numbness in my arm. And very dark thoughts and images.

I try to distract myself but am now unable to work or fulfill volunteer obligations - even grocery shopping is a challenge. I walk my dog a lot. My husband has been a great support to me, but there's not a lot he can do about my inner turmoil (tho' hugs help.) I'm taking lots of baths and using my acupressure mat frequently - both help to dial down the craziness for a bit.

My doctor won't prescribe any more Klonopin for me. I have enough for about 6 months at my current level, but worrying about it is an additional stress I don't need. I don't even know if my taper is adding to my anxiety at this point. My next cut would be to .0625 (dry cut) but I'm not ready, I'm just not.

I don't have a firm date for my surgery, but it will be by the end of March. If all goes well, I should have less pain and be somewhat recovered by June. I try not to think about things not going well.

I don't know how I'll make it through the next 4 months. I'm just getting through minute by minute as it is.

I just started taking gabapentin a couple days ago (100mg.) So far, it's just making me drowsy without actually helping me to sleep.

I'd be so grateful for any suggestions, support, shared experience, or words of wisdom.

I developed a nasty pinched nerve in August 2019 and the neurosurgeon now says I need spinal surgery to prevent me from becoming paralyzed (it's called a level 2 ACDF surgery for cervical stenosis with myelopathy.) I've gotten 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th opinions and it's unanimous - surgery is required. I'm absolutely terrified. The insomnia is severe - I get 3-4 hours of very broken sleep. I'm having palpitations, hot flushes, panic attacks, nightmares, tinnitus, hyperacusis, sensitivity to light, IBS, muscle spasms - in addition to the nerve pain and tingling and numbness in my arm. And very dark thoughts and images.

I try to distract myself but am now unable to work or fulfill volunteer obligations - even grocery shopping is a challenge. I walk my dog a lot. My husband has been a great support to me, but there's not a lot he can do about my inner turmoil (tho' hugs help.) I'm taking lots of baths and using my acupressure mat frequently - both help to dial down the craziness for a bit.

My doctor won't prescribe any more Klonopin for me. I have enough for about 6 months at my current level, but worrying about it is an additional stress I don't need. I don't even know if my taper is adding to my anxiety at this point. My next cut would be to .0625 (dry cut) but I'm not ready, I'm just not.

I don't have a firm date for my surgery, but it will be by the end of March. If all goes well, I should have less pain and be somewhat recovered by June. I try not to think about things not going well.

I don't know how I'll make it through the next 4 months. I'm just getting through minute by minute as it is.

I just started taking gabapentin a couple days ago (100mg.) So far, it's just making me drowsy without actually helping me to sleep.

I'd be so grateful for any suggestions, support, shared experience, or words of wisdom.

Hi Poppy,

I'm sorry you have been in such physical pain for your pinched nerve and of course you would be scared.  On top of that you have been tapering Klonopin, which is a stressful experience in itself. 

How come yout doctor not prescribing Klonopin? Do you mean your regular prescription or another amount?  It's so unfair that doctors get to make these arbitrary decisions about what we need. 

You instintively don't want to cut right now and that makes sense.  Many people have held for medical issues or during periods of psychological stress. Dr. Christy Huff from the Benzo Coalition, held during her breast cancer treatment and then started tapering again when she was ready. 

I think walking your dogs during this time is an achievement.  You are in a particular situation right now and the normal things that you have been able to do, are temporarily causing you stress.  If all you can do is bathe and walking the dogs, that, in my opinion is more than enough. 

I'm dry cutting as well and Klonipin has caused me at times the worst thoughts and feelings of fear.  At those times, I forget that it's the medications impact and not who I really am.  It has caused me terrible depression but I will say as I move lower, that has lifted somewhat.  I still feel emotionally flat and sad but not so depressed. 

You can get through this and once you start to feel better post surgery, you can make the decisions you need to about tapering.

Use distraction, and support to help work the mental symtoms causes by Klonipin. Your CNS is rattled right now but this is not your fault. 

Wishing you an easier day.

Final Healing

Hey Poppy, I understand. I felt like I was reading a large part of my own story when I read yours. Insomnia, palps, panic, yada, yada, yada. I'm right there with you. I was in a really bad car accident a ways back and couldn't move, so ended having spinal surgery (lower lumbar). I then got rear-ended twice by cars which did some damage to my upper spine causing weakness etc in my arms and hands. Injury happened again in low back and then I had a second back surgery (2 yrs ago). They obviously snapped some nerves during that surgery too, so I don't have much feeling at all in my feet and there's weakness in my upper legs. I had no choice but to hold my taper when going through surgery. I think I made things worse in my head before surgery than they really were. One hour at a time and you can do it. Heck, it may really help you a lot! Faith goes a long way, but I know the dread is rough. I struggle a ton these days with my back (heck, my entire body!!), but we can only do what we can do. We sure can't control the things we're not in control of, but we can control our minds. BTW, I have to cut super slow and small, so a cut from .0833 to .0625 would be a big fat cut for this dude. I could never handle that and still be a functioning human being! Maybe try a smaller cut??? I do a liquid taper, so it's easy to do super small cuts. Thank God because that's all I can do! Anyway, my best to you. Try to fill your mind with good things and hang on to some of the folks here on BB's. Great group of people!

Jeff

I comfortably got down to .75 mg cloz

over past 2 days.

But I woke at 4 am Saturday

and was discouraged no more sleep.

So I took .25 extra

I’m disappointed in myself,

and very scared.

My dr provides no support.

They want me on AD or Abilify too

I want off pills.

I am losing my life. I don’t feel very good.

I never felt good on k pin.

It just did help me sleep.

Tried even to call day detox

but they said ‘waiting list’ ?

I know I’m being controlled by fear.

Idk anymore what you people can do.

It all seems up to me.

I have few family suports

over past 2 days.

So I took .25 extra

and very scared.

I want off pills.

It all seems up to me.

Healthyme:

I really think that you need to approach this differently. A drop from 1 mg to .75 mg of K is HUGE. I know recently your dosing has been higher.

I strongly encourage you to figure out a dose you are comfortable with (maybe 1 mg or 1.25 or wherever you feel good), hold that for at least a month, and then make much smaller cuts, like no more than 5 percent every two weeks, maybe less.

The problem with K is the long half life, so you say you got down to .75 mg for past two days, but you would not feel a drop in dose right away, that is probably why you felt the drop from a few days ago this morning.

I am sorry you are scared; this is very hard. But I really think if you found the right dose to start from and cut slow, you would be in a better place. Your dosage needs to be steady so your brain knows what to expect from day to day.

Please take care of yourself.

over past 2 days.

So I took .25 extra

and very scared.

I want off pills.

It all seems up to me.

Hi Healthyme,

I agree with NJS about stabilizing on a dose and then doing smaller cuts.  It is the rare few who can make big cuts and not feel them. 

I have been in your shoes many times and made calls to in patient detox centers earlier in my taper because I couldnt stand the symtoms nor the length of the taper.  But detox places are not the right solution for benzo withdrawal and is not recommended on this site as a way to get off benzos.  Granted there are people who have tried but they end up suffering greatly and have to go back on the benzo to keep from suffering.  This is based on many stories I have read here. 

Its is hard to accept but sleep is affected during benzo withdrawal.  I struggle with it as well but I have now accepted that I will struggle some until I get off.  It's been a hard to accept but it is the truth of withdrawal and doesnt mean we are doing anything wrong. 

The hardest thing for me has been the lack of control over things like sleep, and how fast I want to taper as opposed to what my body can handle.  What I can control is how I eat, how I distract and reaching out for support. 

I suggest you allow your body to settle as NJS recommends, and then start your taper again with smaller cuts.  You'll still arrive at the same place with less stress. 

over past 2 days.

So I took .25 extra

and very scared.

I want off pills.

It all seems up to me.

Hi Healthyme,

I agree with NJS about stabilizing on a dose and then doing smaller cuts.  It is the rare few who can make big cuts and not feel them. 

I have been in your shoes many times and made calls to in patient detox centers earlier in my taper because I couldnt stand the symtoms nor the length of the taper.  But detox places are not the right solution for benzo withdrawal and is not recommended on this site as a way to get off benzos.  Granted there are people who have tried but they end up suffering greatly and have to go back on the benzo to keep from suffering.  This is based on many stories I have read here. 

Its is hard to accept but sleep is affected during benzo withdrawal.  I struggle with it as well but I have now accepted that I will struggle some until I get off.  It's been a hard to accept but it is the truth of withdrawal and doesnt mean we are doing anything wrong. 

The hardest thing for me has been the lack of control over things like sleep, and how fast I want to taper as opposed to what my body can handle.  What I can control is how I eat, how I distract and reaching out for support. 

I suggest you allow your body to settle as NJS recommends, and then start your taper again with smaller cuts.  You'll still arrive at the same place with less stress.

:thumbsup: Yep! Also, klonopin is incredibly concentrated, so even a tiny cut is a big cut. I think klonopin is 20x more concentrated than Valium, for example.

Have as great a day as possible!

Jeff

over past 2 days.

So I took .25 extra

and very scared.

I want off pills.

It all seems up to me.

Hi Healthyme,

:thumbsup: Yep! Also, klonopin is incredibly concentrated, so even a tiny cut is a big cut. I think klonopin is 20x more concentrated than Valium, for example.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

You're right, 1mg of K is equal to 20mg of Valium so 1 mg is actually a high dose which is why cutting .25mg was a really big cut. Unfortunately when we go up and down on our doses it can cause us to have a harder time tapering.

I had a psychiatrist that was an addictionologist who explained it this way. If an alcoholic quits and then starts using again it will be harder for him to quit each time he does that than it would be for someone who was an alcoholic for 20 years to quit once. Our brains really don't like the ups and downs and of course the kindling that occurs. It is the same for any type of drug that affects our brains and so it can become harder to taper each time for some of us. I think it's a really good idea to find a dose and stabilize on it for at least a month before starting to taper again. Then find a taper rate that works for you.

Jeff taught me to do a symptoms based taper and it has enabled me to actually live life while I'm tapering. It's still not easy but it's a lot easier than it was.

Hugs and healing,

T

over past 2 days.

So I took .25 extra

and very scared.

I want off pills.

It all seems up to me.

Hi Healthyme,

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

You're right, 1mg of K is equal to 20mg of Valium so 1 mg is actually a high dose which is why cutting .25mg was a really big cut. Unfortunately when we go up and down on our doses it can cause us to have a harder time tapering.

I had a psychiatrist that was an addictionologist who explained it this way. If an alcoholic quits and then starts using again it will be harder for him to quit each time he does that than it would be for someone who was an alcoholic for 20 years to quit once. Our brains really don't like the ups and downs and of course the kindling that occurs. It is the same for any type of drug that affects our brains and so it can become harder to taper each time for some of us. I think it's a really good idea to find a dose and stabilize on it for at least a month before starting to taper again. Then find a taper rate that works for you.

Jeff taught me to do a symptoms based taper and it has enabled me to actually live life while I'm tapering. It's still not easy but it's a lot easier than it was.

Hugs and healing,

T

Howdy Tnt!! Weird that I can get on this site from my work computer but not from my email. Actually, none of us can get on any email. I suppose email sites are more of a threat than sites like this BB's site. Stay away from Corona! :)

Hugsters,

Jeff

over past 2 days.

So I took .25 extra

and very scared.

I want off pills.

It all seems up to me.

Hi Healthyme,

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Hugs and healing,

T

Howdy Tnt!! Weird that I can get on this site from my work computer but not from my email. Actually, none of us can get on any email. I suppose email sites are more of a threat than sites like this BB's site. Stay away from Corona! :)

Hugsters,

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

So weird. You would think this would be blocked over your email. My Jeff can't access anything except work sites from his phone or computer while he's at work. He can email though....

You stay away from Corona too. I don't know about you but it has caused a bit of anxiety for me. It doesn't helped that I developed asthma last year so it puts me at higher risk.  Ah well, we'll get through this too.

Hugs and healing,

T

Just wanted to tell everyone to hang in there.

I did catch and recover from a common cold for the first time since I started my taper. It was very uncomfortable. I couldn’t rest properly.

I’m trying to be proactive about anxiety that I see coming back little by little.

Physically, I’m in good shape and feeling well, including dreaming normally.

Just wanted to tell everyone to hang in there.

I did catch and recover from a common cold for the first time since I started my taper. It was very uncomfortable. I couldn’t rest properly.

I’m trying to be proactive about anxiety that I see coming back little by little.

Physically, I’m in good shape and feeling well, including dreaming normally.

Thanks haveagreatday.  I'm.glad you are over your cold and feeling good physically.  Sounds great that you are proactive about the anxiety. 

Did you feel better as you came down?

I'm feeling a lot better mentally now than I did when I was higher in the med.  My depression has lifted a lot, which is helping me cope with the light sleep and anhedonia.  I mainly feel blah but not as blah as before. 

I'm hoping this will continue as I get lower. 

Does the clonazapam cause anxiety

and depression and maybe paranoia

Bc that what I’m going through I think

Yes, the side effects of Clonzapamn cause depression and anxiety along with other symtoms.  My benzo coach was the first person to point out to me that the heaviness of the medication, at the higher doses caused my depression.  She said it probably start to lift as I got lower and it has.  I looked up the side effects of Klonopin and it confirmed it for me.

I'm not even that low yet but it has started lifting.  I now have been able to gauge whether the symptoms are side effects or withdrawal.  They do cross over but when I'm  hit with wirhdrawal symtoms, its usually after a cut and I'm much more physically tense, down and weepy.  I used to cry everyday when I was higher and it was all due to that awful depression and despair.

Again, this is my experience and from what I have researched. 

Hi everyone just switch from Ativan .5mg twice daily 1 mg total to clonazepam 0.5 mg daily.. .25mg morning .25 mg at night. What would be the best way to taper off cut in quarters and remove .125mg at a time? Thanks so much

You could try that to begin with but if it's too much, get a scale then crush and weigh them to go smaller. 

Hi pamster they are .5 mg . So I take half in the am and half at night

I use a scale but I don't crush my pills.  I shave them down with a nail file.  My pills are .5 as well and I take my dosen3 times a day with a heavier dose at night. 

I weigh my pills which average between  200-201 grams on the scale.  Then I shave off one dose every 4 days.  So if the pill weighs 200, I would shave down to 199 pill weight. Then the next cut would be 198.  Just an example. 

My pace is on the slow side so you can figure out the best pace for you.  Using a scale helps you be more precise though there are many ways to taper including liquid. 

Hope your taper is going well.

Hi pamster they are .5 mg . So I take half in the am and half at night

I use a scale but I don't crush my pills.  I shave them down with a nail file.  My pills are .5 as well and I take my dosen3 times a day with a heavier dose at night. 

I weigh my pills which average between  200-201 grams on the scale.  Then I shave off one dose every 4 days.  So if the pill weighs 200, I would shave down to 199 pill weight. Then the next cut would be 198.  Just an example. 

My pace is on the slow side so you can figure out the best pace for you.  Using a scale helps you be more precise though there are many ways to taper including liquid. 

Hope your taper is going well.

hey final healing i just weighed one of my tablet its comes out to about 0.0174 grams weird. which brand of scale do you use . mine is pretty inaccurate the numbers always fluctuate making this difficult to me.

thanks for the response

My son is a hard time with withdrawal Klonopin. Till now he has come from 1 mg a day to 0,75 afther 2 months!!

The advises a read here are very helpfull!