Important Survey - Please Participate ×

The Klonopin Klub#2

[ma...]

[66...]
NJstrength, thank you for your support.  I have been on Klonopin for 20+ years.  My family doc told me she wanted me to taped because the DEA and the hospital system she works for are cracking down on ALL controlled substance prescribing.  She was very nice about it ... just giving me a heads up that this can't go on forever.  I am not on any other psych meds.  What I am realizing is that I will have to learn to deal with anxiety in other ways ... I have begun a "me first" campaign, meaning that it sounds selfish but I have to put my well-being first or I won't get through this!  There has to be a better way to live and I am a pretty determined person.  This whole things has changed how I see things now and it is nearly all for the better.

[66...]
I want to add that my father was able to get off oxycodone he was prescribed for cancer (which he beat!).  He had a lot of the same symptoms I am having.  He tried cold turkey and that didn't work, but he got off fairly rapidly.  So I have a good example to follow.

NJstrength, thank you for your support.  I have been on Klonopin for 20+ years.  My family doc told me she wanted me to taped because the DEA and the hospital system she works for are cracking down on ALL controlled substance prescribing.  She was very nice about it ... just giving me a heads up that this can't go on forever.  I am not on any other psych meds.  What I am realizing is that I will have to learn to deal with anxiety in other ways ... I have begun a "me first" campaign, meaning that it sounds selfish but I have to put my well-being first or I won't get through this!  There has to be a better way to live and I am a pretty determined person.  This whole things has changed how I see things now and it is nearly all for the better.

That is awesome. I have also been on K for 20+ years, for sleep, but cannot seem to get off. Managed to get down to .33 mg but I was a mess and chose to updose when faced with a serious illness with my son. I needed to be functional for him. That was 18 months ago and still dealing with his illness. I hope someday I can get off but for now holding. I haven't had any issues with my prescriber. I hope you contiue to do well.

[66...]

NJstrength, I have reduced my nighttime dose but have not stopped it and that is the major thing I will face, getting off it.  If an "issue" came up right now like you have had with your son, I don't know what I would do but likely I would stop my taper.  I couldn't have made it this far without the Propranolol my doctor prescribed.  It has helped the racing heart and blood pressure problems immensely.  Sigh ... even that feels like I'm trading one drug for another but at least it isn't a controlled one.

One day at a time ... ;)  Thanks for your encouragement.

Hi everyone.  I have not posted in a a couple of weeks.  Over the last two+ months I have decreased my Klonopin from 3mg daily to 1mg daily, decreasing .25 mg every week.  Symptoms:  anxiety, difficulty sleeping, muscle aches in my legs, elevated blood pressure but am taking Propranolol for that, dizziness but I had that in public places even on the medication.  Overall, I feel like I am doing well and so want to get the taper over although I realize I will have the symptoms for a while after stopping my medication.  Just looking for support and encouragement here.  I am hopeful and fearful at the same time.  :)

One milligram a month??!! Holy snot, that's awesome! I'd give up my right arm if I could've done that :) . It took me years to go down a couple of milligrams. I was on a huge dose of k for well over 2 decades (this is my 25th yr, including my taper) and I was on tons of other prescribed psych meds along that time too ('med cocktail of the month' club). Klonopin caused me so many problems, but docs couldn't figure it out and just kept adding other meds to the mix to "fix" the other symptoms. You know the drill. Anyway, you're on a great road to recovery. Keep it up! Or, down, I should say. Thanks for posting some positive news. It's great for all of us.

Take care!

Jeff

[66...]

Thanks Ultra2007.  Well, this morning I have to do something stressful so I am not feeling so positive (I have been awake since 4AM ... ugh) but I am going to buck up and get it done.  But those sort of things are what got me on Klonopin in the first place, the difficult, anxiety-provoking things in life.  So now I am going to have to do them without medication.  But truth be told, Klonopin wasn't helping me anymore, was causing more problems than helping.  Yes, I am grateful for the progress I've made but it isn't perfect but then, what is??

Best,

Kate

I feel terrible. See my signature.

I am trying 1 mg cloz per day

divided dose. .25 am .25 at 6 pm

.5 got sleep at 9 pm and now

3 mg melatonin.

Feel generally poor.

Felt like I didn’t sleep but I did

I crashed on sofa at 10 pm.

Not taking Abilify dr np ordered

All these meds make me sick.

Any suggestions?

3 mg melatonin.

Feel generally poor.

Any suggestions?

When I look at your signature, you K doses seem to be all over the place, as recently as December 1.5 mgs, then 1.25 mgs, now 1 mg. That is a huge variation. If I were you I would figure out a starting dose that left me in a place of stability. Is it 1.25 mg? Then cut no more than 10 %, I would probably suggest 5 %. Do you have your gram scale to make smaller cuts? Because a drop from 1.25 mg to 1 is an awful lot for many people.

3 mg melatonin.

Feel generally poor.

Any suggestions?

I agree with NJStength.  I think the jumps up and down are destabilizing you and causing your increased symptoms. 

I too suggest that you choose one dose and then start with a smaller percentage.  When you went from 1.25 to 1, that was a 20% decrease.  The recommended amount to taper, according to Ashton is 5-10% cuts every 2-4 weeks. 

It sounds like you need to stabilize at what ever dose you choose to start from.  Then as NJS suggested, start with a smaller percent cut with a gram scale.  You can do this. 

3 mg melatonin.

Feel generally poor.

Any suggestions?

When I look at your signature, you K doses seem to be all over the place, as recently as December 1.5 mgs, then 1.25 mgs, now 1 mg. That is a huge variation. If I were you I would figure out a starting dose that left me in a place of stability. Is it 1.25 mg? Then cut no more than 10 %, I would probably suggest 5 %. Do you have your gram scale to make smaller cuts? Because a drop from 1.25 mg to 1 is an awful lot for many people.

:thumbsup:

[45...]

Hello,

I am wondering if I can use  two .125 waifers to dose .25 mg. Of Klonopin and start cutting from them to taper.  What kind of reduction would be a good starting point?  Thank you.

Lookinup

Hello,

I am wondering if I can use  two .125 waifers to dose .25 mg. Of Klonopin and start cutting from them to taper.  What kind of reduction would be a good starting point?  Thank you.

Lookinup

Hi Lookinup,

How often are you dosing your Klonopin now?

And when you say water, so you mean pills or actual wafers? I'm not familiar with wafers.

Hi sorry I disappeared... I cut last week and feel awful the last few days...

0.24 to 0.23... I realize my cns is very sensible... so my question is should I updose?

I have many sxs...  shortness of breath all day today, extremely weak, muscle weakness especially my legs,  dizziness,  broken sleep but thats always.... everything is moving..

can't do much and live alone, any advice? 

When did you make your cut Bonty and are these typical symtoms if withdrawal for you?  Meaning do you have to ride these out or is this unusual?

If you felt stable at the higher dose then updosing is an option. I don't think you want to suffer unnecessary but that decison is up to you.  It wasnt a huge cut so going back up may help you feel better. 

I understand about the sensitive CNS.  You are also getting low and that can be a factor too. 

FH

Bonty: I am sorry you’ve hit a rough patch. 

The reduction you’ve just made is 4.17%.  That is within the “rule of thumb.”  However, it is difficult to provide additional input without knowing more about your previous tapering history. 

Can you fill in the blanks in your signature between June 2019 when you were at 0.3mg of clonazepam and now?  How long did you hold?  When did you begin tapering again? What reduction did you make?  What other reductions did you make?  When?  How much?

What is your typical pattern for withdrawal symptoms? Not the symptoms themselves but rather how long does it typically take for your withdrawal symptoms to emerge after you make a reduction?  How long does it typically take for your withdrawal symptoms to subside to the point where you feel ready to make another reduction?

Final Healing has asked another important question: Are your current withdrawal symptoms typical or unusual for you? 

Final Healing has also has made an important observation: You are getting low in dose (a little less than half of where you started).  It is not uncommon for members to discover they have to make smaller reductions in dose during the last 1/3 or so of their taper.

When did you make your cut Bonty and are these typical symtoms if withdrawal for you?  Meaning do you have to ride these out or is this unusual?

If you felt stable at the higher dose then updosing is an option. I don't think you want to suffer unnecessary but that decison is up to you.  It wasnt a huge cut so going back up may help you feel better. 

I understand about the sensitive CNS.  You are also getting low and that can be a factor too. 

FH

my cut was a week ago, some sxs are new never had so many at the same time or severe  also inner tension, I do have to go slower, microtaper... breathing heavily, tension at night , very weak....I was cutting 2% very 2 weeks.... I may just updose, bc I live alone

Bonty: I am sorry you’ve hit a rough patch. 

The reduction you’ve just made is 4.17%.  That is within the “rule of thumb.”  However, it is difficult to provide additional input without knowing more about your previous tapering history. 

Can you fill in the blanks in your signature between June 2019 when you were at 0.3mg of clonazepam and now?  How long did you hold?  When did you begin tapering again? What reduction did you make?  What other reductions did you make?  When?  How much?

What is your typical pattern for withdrawal symptoms? Not the symptoms themselves but rather how long does it typically take for your withdrawal symptoms to emerge after you make a reduction?  How long does it typically take for your withdrawal symptoms to subside to the point where you feel ready to make another reduction?

Final Healing has asked another important question: Are your current withdrawal symptoms typical or unusual for you? 

Final Healing has also has made an important observation: You are getting low in dose (a little less than half of where you started).  It is not uncommon for members to discover they have to make smaller reductions in dose during the last 1/3 or so of their taper.

I have been cutting around 2% every 2 weeks,  these are not typical wd sxs, I started tapering gain in july 4% with holds then in sept started 2% every 2 weeks then decided to make a bigger cut, ugh. I feel awful even my brain is sore at times not severe thou.. I have to continue with 2% ...

I have been cutting around 2% every 2 weeks,  these are not typical wd sxs, I started tapering gain in july 4% with holds then in sept started 2% every 2 weeks then decided to make a bigger cut, ugh. I feel awful even my brain is sore at times not severe thou.. I have to continue with 2% ...

Thank you for providing this additional information, bonty. It is very helpful.  Would you feel comfortable adding it to your signature?  That way other members can see your history “at a glance” and will be able to respond more quickly and thoughtfully to any questions you might have.

Based on what I’ve read here and elsewhere, my understanding is that smaller reductions in dose are easier on our receptors than larger reductions.  Based on what you’ve shared, it sounds like a 4.17% reduction made all at once was too large for you but you have been ok with 2% reductions made every two weeks.  You have discovered two important things — the amount and timing of reductions that work for you given your unique physiology and the pharmacology your particular benzodiazepine (in your case, clonazepam).

Do you keep a taper log/journal?  If not, might I encourage you to do so?  This will enable you to keep a close eye on both your taper rate (percent reduction relative to previous dose) and the pattern of your withdrawal symptoms so you can make adjustments in your taper plan if needed.  For example, as you get lower in dose (perhaps in the 0.15mg or 0.125mg range for clonazepam given its high potency and your starting dose of 0.5mg, but I’m just guessing here), you may need to “stop slow as you go low.”

I’ll close by giving you a link to an online tool you can use to calculate percent reductions along with my best wishes for a successful completion your taper.  Libertas

Percentage Change Calculator

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/algebra/percent-change-calculator.php

Thank you for providing this additional information, bonty. It is very helpful.  Would you feel comfortable adding it to your signature?  That way other members can see your history “at a glance” and will be able to respond more quickly and thoughtfully to any questions you might have.

Based on what I’ve read here and elsewhere, my understanding is that smaller reductions in dose are easier on our receptors than larger reductions.  Based on what you’ve shared, it sounds like a 4.17% reduction made all at once was too large for you but you have been ok with 2% reductions made every two weeks.  You have discovered two important things — the amount and timing of reductions that work for you given your unique physiology and the pharmacology your particular benzodiazepine (in your case, clonazepam).

Do you keep a taper log/journal?  If not, might I encourage you to do so?  This will enable you to keep a close eye on both your taper rate (percent reduction relative to previous dose) and the pattern of your withdrawal symptoms so you can make adjustments in your taper plan if needed.  For example, as you get lower in dose (perhaps in the 0.15mg or 0.125mg range for clonazepam given its high potency and your starting dose of 0.5mg, but I’m just guessing here), you may need to “stop slow as you go low.”

I’ll close by giving you a link to an online tool you can use to calculate percent reductions along with my best wishes for a successful completion your taper.  Libertas

Percentage Change Calculator

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/algebra/percent-change-calculator.php

thank you Libertas, for your detailed replay.. yes 0.5 was my starting dose, I will add to my signature... are you a moderator?

You are most welcome, bonty.  I am not a moderator (although I hold them in highest regard!).  I am just a fellow traveler with advanced education and experience in science/research who has read extensively about benzodiazepine discontinuation in general and discontinuation of clonazepam in particular.

I am holding at 1 mg cloz

I am monitoring my stability

and sleep. Then I plan dry cuts

5% every 2 wks

big challlenge I suddenly got IBS

type symptoms over past 2 weeks.

Hope it is passing thing.

I also have other symptoms.

Discuss later maybe. Please

wish me and us all luck. Ty

[66...]
Stress was why I started taking Klonopin in the first place!!  Now, 20+ years later I am tapering off it and I am having to learn new ways to handle stress.  I'm not much for regrets but I wish I had worked harder on that aspect of life all those years ago.  :crazy:  Stress isn't totally avoidable (wish it was ...) but I believe it is possible find new ways to deal with it.  One day at a time.  :thumbsup: