The Easier Taper Support Group

[so...]

I didn't give up any foods. I was just careful to to over-indulge. But each person is different. The key to an easier taper is to figure out how your own body reacts to things. Jot down a few notes if you notice something makes you feel worse or if something makes you feel better. And then set the notes aside and get on with life. Put your mind on things besides your taper. :)

Good advice for us all!  I’ve been at this for so long, I know my body really well and sugar along with dairy and wheat are big triggers to my nervous system. But, I can’t say no to those dang wafers  :laugh:  I made the kids eat the rest of the bag after dinner last night so they’ll be out of the house, lol.

:laugh:  :thumbsup:

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [ly...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Just checking in...it has been 2 months 2 weeks today since I walked off and generally doing well. I really do not feel much different, still feel like I did at my lower end of taper. I am dreaming again and glad for that, sleep is about the same amt, but I am sleeping. Compared to my first two tapers that I had to reinstate both times, this third taper has been a Easier Taper and for that I am so grateful. Stay Strong. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Just checking in...it has been 2 months 2 weeks today since I walked off and generally doing well. I really do not feel much different, still feel like I did at my lower end of taper. I am dreaming again and glad for that, sleep is about the same amt, but I am sleeping. Compared to my first two tapers that I had to reinstate both times, this third taper has been a Easier Taper and for that I am so grateful. Stay Strong. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

[move] :balloon:  :yippee:  :balloon:[/move]

[move] :balloon:  :yippee:  :balloon:[/move]

:smitten:  :hug:  :smitten:

I didn't give up any foods. I was just careful to to over-indulge. But each person is different. The key to an easier taper is to figure out how your own body reacts to things. Jot down a few notes if you notice something makes you feel worse or if something makes you feel better. And then set the notes aside and get on with life. Put your mind on things besides your taper. :)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Begood, thank you for sharing these uplifting and super great news!!!

http://justclickit.ru/smiles/image/emotions/emotions%20(199).gif

Begood, thank you for sharing these uplifting and super great news!!!

http://justclickit.ru/smiles/image/emotions/emotions%20(199).gif

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Welp, I couldn't muster up the courage to do it. I just don't think I'm ready to put myself through this. I'm an overly anxious person so this often gives me cold feet.

Went to the doctor appointment anyway for a follow up.

Here is my current cocktail.

Citolapram (10mg) - depression/anxiety (new)

Alprazolam (1mg) - anxiety

Trazodone (50mg) - anxiety/sleep

Lisinopril (5mg) - HBP / pounding heart. (Doc said heart sounds much better, probably anxiety related).

So now I'm kind of getting worried. Within a matter of two months I went from 1 medication to now 4. He wants to see me again in a month for another follow up. I assume if my anxiety isn't under control hes going to want to up my xanax, however I intend not to.

So now what? This doctor is just throwing pills at me like candy. While I know SSRIs cause the same dependence (hopefully not dangerous like benzos), I figure I may need it as I did get pretty severe depression during my first taper attempt, and I mean scary dark depression.

I guess at this point I'll just continue on, I don't really like the idea of taking this many psychotropic meds, but if any of them help with w/d symptoms maybe it's for the better. He seems to have no issue with me taking xanax daily so I'm fairly sure hes clueless..

Guess I'll just start a DLMT on my own when ready. Get the benzo out of the way before moving on to these other ones. All this crap just for anxiety and depression. Sheesh.. I didn't even have depression before trying to quit the xanax..

It's OK to take a breather. I believe in Shipko's book he says that sometimes a person has a bad time with a cut and reinstates. A few month later they try again and are OK. You'll know when it's right for you.

Two thoughts about which med to taper first. Some people taper the med they consider the most dangerous first. Some people taper the most stimulating med first. If you are wanting advice about tapering from multiple meds, I recommend the site SurvivingAntidepressants. They do polydrugging and also have a dedicated benzodiazepines board.

I also strongly recommend anyone and everyone look into Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction. I got into it while tapering. I wish I had done a program before I started. There are books, videos, seminars, and online courses. Really, really good stuff. :thumbsup:

Hey Gardener!

I actually started therapy to learn mindfulness and meditation. CBT basically. What I'm afraid of is refusing everything but the xanax, because the doc might just look at me like all I want is the benzo. That's not a position I want to be in.

It's OK to take a breather. I believe in Shipko's book he says that sometimes a person has a bad time with a cut and reinstates. A few month later they try again and are OK. You'll know when it's right for you.

Two thoughts about which med to taper first. Some people taper the med they consider the most dangerous first. Some people taper the most stimulating med first. If you are wanting advice about tapering from multiple meds, I recommend the site SurvivingAntidepressants. They do polydrugging and also have a dedicated benzodiazepines board.

I also strongly recommend anyone and everyone look into Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction. I got into it while tapering. I wish I had done a program before I started. There are books, videos, seminars, and online courses. Really, really good stuff. :thumbsup:

I didn't know this. I hope I can experience that if I'm ever ready to taper again, which I'm not.

I knew nothing about Shipko. Where can I find his book?

Shipko wrote Tapering Xanax. It's a very cheap ebook on amazon. I think he has a website, too. He is a psychiatrist who criticizes psychiatry's bad practices.

So, kind of having a epiphany.

I was 3 days in to taking 25% less of my usual dose. I started Citolapram which set my anxiety and panic through the roof. Now my doctor is having me try again, and I noticed this morning that I was back to the state of panic feeling and massive anxiety that I had when tapering. It's not as intense as when I tapered and I had plenty of physical symptoms plus cog fog. After taking the daily dose the anxiety goes away.

Is it possible my severe reaction to the the taper was just made 1000 times worse by starting an AD? I think after taking it for 6 weeks and leveling out, I might give it another shot and hope that I am not struggling as much as last time. Crossing my fingers!

So, kind of having a epiphany.

I was 3 days in to taking 25% less of my usual dose. I started Citolapram which set my anxiety and panic through the roof. Now my doctor is having me try again, and I noticed this morning that I was back to the state of panic feeling and massive anxiety that I had when tapering. It's not as intense as when I tapered and I had plenty of physical symptoms plus cog fog. After taking the daily dose the anxiety goes away.

Is it possible my severe reaction to the the taper was just made 1000 times worse by starting an AD? I think after taking it for 6 weeks and leveling out, I might give it another shot and hope that I am not struggling as much as last time. Crossing my fingers!

I'm sorry, this is not the kind of thing we deal with on this thread. I suggest you try the Other Medications board or survivingantidepressants.org.

Thank you for creating this thread to share encouraging stories about tapers going relatively well.  Hope mine will help the cause.  :) 

I've been on Xanax (4 times daily) for 21 years.  I started my dry taper using a jewel scale and razor in Oct. 2019 and am about 1/2 way there.  If things keep going well, I'll be done by July 1st.  I talked with my doctor for the first time today about it and showed her my taper chart and plan.  She was quite pleased and encouraged me.

It's been going well.  Each cut has made me only a teeny bit anxious and a little grouchy for the first few days, but nothing I can't handle.  Once the first few  days after a cut have passed,  I'm actually finding that I'm less anxious and better able to handle stress.  So far I haven't had any trouble with insomnia.    I don't take any other benzos or AD's.  I do take a small dose of beta blocker for my bp. 

I'm pretty encouraged by how well things are going so far considering that I have 2 big things going against me.  One, is the fact that I've been on benzos every day for 21 years.  The other is that I have been disabled with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for 33 years. 

So, that's my story so far.  I can only give God the credit.  :smitten:

Thank you for creating this thread to share encouraging stories about tapers going relatively well.  Hope mine will help the cause.  :) 

I've been on Xanax (4 times daily) for 21 years.  I started my dry taper using a jewel scale and razor in Oct. 2019 and am about 1/2 way there.  If things keep going well, I'll be done by July 1st.  I talked with my doctor for the first time today about it and showed her my taper chart and plan.  She was quite pleased and encouraged me.

It's been going well.  Each cut has made me only a teeny bit anxious and a little grouchy for the first few days, but nothing I can't handle.  Once the first few  days after a cut have passed,  I'm actually finding that I'm less anxious and better able to handle stress.  So far I haven't had any trouble with insomnia.    I don't take any other benzos or AD's.  I do take a small dose of beta blocker for my bp. 

I'm pretty encouraged by how well things are going so far considering that I have 2 big things going against me.  One, is the fact that I've been on benzos every day for 21 years.  The other is that I have been disabled with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for 33 years. 

[glow=red,2,300]"Welcome".[/glow] this is a great thread I agree, and if you have time read it from the beginning and you will find that others have felt the same way about their taper. It sounds like you are doing well and you are close to walking off in the future. Stay  Strong and know that you have come a long way :thumbsup:.    💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

This is a wonderful story and very encouraging! I hope that the whole way is smooth for you!

[glow=red,2,300]"Welcome".[/glow] this is a great thread I agree, and if you have time read it from the beginning and you will find that others have felt the same way about their taper.  💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Thank you begood.  I'll do that.

• 1 month later...

Just checking in to say that 8 months post "jump" I am feeling much more like my old self. A slow, symptoms-based taper worked for me. :thumbsup:

Gardie :)