The Easier Taper Support Group

[so...]

Worth another look:

I've been tapering from 2 MG klonopin since March 2016.  Had been taking 2 MG for 7 years.  I read lots of research and personal experiences before getting courage to start taper.  I have taken a slow approach and I'm now down to .5 MG.  I have had very few symptoms.  I've been fully functional and haven't had sleeping problems and minimal anxiety.  Some breathing issues like many other people have experienced but it's tolerable.  I do a lot of therapeutic work to keep my mind from catastrophic thinking and obsessing.  So far I've learned to just trust my body.  When I cut back I do it in small increments especially now that I'm down to smaller doses.  I'm so hopeful now that I can be klonopin free.  I'm doing much better than I thought I would be.  I was so terrified to cut back.  There's no rush. Please trust that this can be done without horror and agony.  I'm doing it and you can too.  So far so good.  Will post again when I'm even closer.

Excellent post you found there Gardie!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [ly...]

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yup, I am sure it will turn out well in the end.

Today was is one of the days during a cut that everything unpleasant seems to be diminished.

Tinnitus is pretty quiet

Head ache is gone

anxiety is so low as to be non existent

Feet and hands are not tingling

I actually was driving somewhere and caught myself  turning the radio up singing along and feeling happy, I have about 3 1/2 to 4 months left of my klonopin taper but am looking forward to feeling like this pretty much all the time when I am done. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yup, I am sure it will turn out well in the end.

Today was is one of the days during a cut that everything unpleasant seems to be diminished.

Tinnitus is pretty quiet

Head ache is gone

anxiety is so low as to be non existent

Feet and hands are not tingling

I actually was driving somewhere and caught myself  turning the radio up singing along and feeling happy, I have about 3 1/2 to 4 months left of my klonopin taper but am looking forward to feeling like this pretty much all the time when I am done. :thumbsup:

Great post  :laugh:

Hello all,

Stopping in to say hi and give an update.  As I have gotten down lower I am feeling so much more like myself.  More clarity. Less Cog Fog. Still little to no symptoms. Today was a symptom free day and I even got 7 hours sleep last night!  I am not experiencing the morning surges/ jitters. I have been able to work out 20 min 3 days a week.  Working in the yard and getting out and about. Going slow and keeping a positive mind set have really made a difference. Even though my symptoms are mild to none I am still practicing mindfulness, breathing, vagus nerve exercises, self care, lots of water and eating clean. 

Wishing everyone a peaceful evening.

JuJuBi

Hello all,

Stopping in to say hi and give an update.  As I have gotten down lower I am feeling so much more like myself.  More clarity. Less Cog Fog. Still little to no symptoms. Today was a symptom free day and I even got 7 hours sleep last night!  I am not experiencing the morning surges/ jitters. I have been able to work out 20 min 3 days a week.  Working in the yard and getting out and about. Going slow and keeping a positive mind set have really made a difference. Even though my symptoms are mild to none I am still practicing mindfulness, breathing, vagus nerve exercises, self care, lots of water and eating clean. 

JuJuBi

JuJuBi, sounds great that your planing is working for you, and so happy that you know that slow and keeping positive does help. And yes we will still have sx and wd, but it is the things we do and accept that helps us, sadly not everyone has it easy, but it is doable for some and for that I am sure you are grateful, as I am. Stay Strong and Stay Safe. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Hello all,

JuJuBi

It's our Jujubes queen! :D Thanks for checking in!! Good to hear you are doing well. :smitten:

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lovethispic.com%2Fuploaded_images%2F45190-Jujubes.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

I have heard of vagus nerve exercises. Does anyone know of a good link to directions on how to do them?

Here is a good link that explains the vagus nerve and some good exercise tips

https://www.innisintegrativetherapy.com/blog/2017/11/21/calming-a-wigged-out-autonomic-nervous-system-using-the-vagus-nerve#:~:text=Splashing%20cold%20water%20on%20your,face%20and%20holding%20your%20breath.

I have heard of vagus nerve exercises. Does anyone know of a good link to directions on how to do them?

Here is a good link that explains the vagus nerve and some good exercise tips

https://www.innisintegrativetherapy.com/blog/2017/11/21/calming-a-wigged-out-autonomic-nervous-system-using-the-vagus-nerve#:~:text=Splashing%20cold%20water%20on%20your,face%20and%20holding%20your%20breath.

Thanks!! :smitten:

Gardener last summer I did what this benzo success youtuber teaches here for the vagus nerve. I might try it again now as I was too sick then to feel any difference and still, even in that state, this type of breathing seemed to help a tiny bit. I really like her too.

Gardener last summer I did what this benzo success youtuber teaches here for the vagus nerve. I might try it again now as I was too sick then to feel any difference and still, even in that state, this type of breathing seemed to help a tiny bit. I really like her too.

Thanks, VNM! That's an interesting video and helpful. :thumbsup:

Hey Buddies! Just popping in to share that I've posted a success story! This was my favorite crew when I was in the thick of it. Thanks for all the support.

Hey Buddies! Just popping in to share that I've posted a success story! This was my favorite crew when I was in the thick of it. Thanks for all the support.

Great to see you, Gwinna! Heading right over to read your story! :smitten:

I read your Success Story, and shed tears, sad ones and happy ones to read that after going through so much, you succeeded to build a new life for you and little Gwinna. Stay Strong and Stay Safe. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Whooohooo!!  I will read it a little later, but thrilled for you 🙋🏼🙋🏼🙋🏼♥️🙏😷😘♥️🙏😷😘♥️

Worth another look:

Hooray!  Finally a group/thread which reflects my mind frame!  This is awesome!

My taper from Xanax started nuts-ville because I didn't know what my body needed.  Once I had that figured out, it's been smooth sailing and has only gotten easier and easier. 

The road is not always easy, but it is always worth it.  I can honestly say that this whole experience has been a gift to me because I found the root of who I truly am when I was forced to go to places that were way outside of my comfort zone, that I would not have taken myself voluntarily.  I've been blessed with the resources and opportunities to taper in a way that my body can tolerate, not everyone is as fortunate. 

For what it's worth, I can say that what has helped me a whole lot is meditation.  I've learned the skill of bearing witness to what I'm experiencing, and not becoming wrapped up in a story of it all, a story that quite frankly makes it feel a whole lot worse and scares the living daylights out of me.  I've learned the impermanence of everything through meditation, of becoming aware and knowing that everything passes, no matter how uncomfortable I may feel at the time.

Another nugget of wisdom I've found is that you ARE NEVER STUCK.  Ever.  So anytime you feel stuck, just repeat to yourself, "I am not stuck."  Because it's the truth.  Your cells are always changing, always renewing.  Your body is literally renewing itself as you read this.  For example, it has been scientifically established that cells inside the body regenerate at different speeds – liver cells in 6 weeks, stomach lining cells in 3 days, eye cells in less than 48 hours.  In one year from today, your entire body will contain 100% brand new cells where you will physically not be the same person that you are today.  Your healing is constantly happening.  What you are experiencing is temporary.  If you're going to doubt something, doubt your own limits.  Don't doubt your capabilities.

Love your body, love it while it heals.  Honor and respect the process it is inherently so smart to find its way through.  Listen to the messages of what it is saying it needs.  Is it rest?  Is it exercise?  Is it a hug?  Is it a creative outlet?  The key is finding who you are, understanding what promotes your own healing, and doing those things.  Be flexible, those things might shift from day to day.  For me, one day I'll be in a hot bath with candles, lavender oil and epsom salts to rest my tired body, the next day running my booty off to get the nervous energy out.  Be okay with it all, release the 'shoulds' and just love yourself through whatever arises. 

I choose to also focus on gratitude. I've found it's the one emotion that cannot be swallowed when I'm overwhelmed in benzo withdrawal upticks.  I might be grumpy as heck, irritable, anxious, etc.  But, I can ALWAYS find something to be grateful for.  And that feeling of gratitude takes me out of the negative feeling I was having, even if just for a few minutes.  It breaks the cycle, it stops that negative story from continuing in my head.  It gives me perspective and clarity.  It reminds me that I am much more than this experience.

You are capable, you are loved, you are much more than withdrawal.  And buddies, you are never alone. 

:smitten:

Candice

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations Gwinna!  Great job!

I’ve sure enjoyed catching up on everyone’s posts. 😀

I’m still doing well and am now down to dosing twice a day.  Yippee!

I took a long break because the quarantine and everything going on in this crazy world was stressing me out.  But I didn’t updose and am back in the saddle again.

I’m having some insomnia but so far it’s

not unbearable - It’s  probably partly due to my age because my husband has the same problem- LOL.

My sx after each cut lasts about 5 days and mostly makes  me edgy and cranky.  But I just remind myself to get comfortable with being uncomfortable- and it always passes.

I originally thought I’d be done by July, but taking a break was a good idea.  I’m in no hurry. I’ve been on Xanax every day for 21 years so going slow is working best For me.

So glad people are doing well.  Stay positive everyone. We can do this!

Blessings to all. ❤️

I took a long break because the quarantine and everything going on in this crazy world was stressing me out.  But I didn’t updose and am back in the saddle again.

not unbearable - It’s  probably partly due to my age because my husband has the same problem- LOL.

My sx after each cut lasts about 5 days and mostly makes  me edgy and cranky.  But I just remind myself to get comfortable with being uncomfortable- and it always passes.

I originally thought I’d be done by July, but taking a break was a good idea.  I’m in no hurry. I’ve been on Xanax every day for 21 years so going slow is working best For me.

Blessings to all. ❤️

So glad to hear things are going well for you, Hope. That's great that you can dose Xanax only twice/day. I had to switch to liquid Xanax because my interdose withdrawal was so bad I had to dose 6 times/day! That's why I crossed to Librium. Then I only had to dose 2x/day. One of the keys to tapering is to keep busy thinking about other things, and dosing less often sure helps! :thumbsup:

So glad to hear things are going well for you, Hope. That's great that you can dose Xanax only twice/day. I had to switch to liquid Xanax because my interdose withdrawal was so bad I had to dose 6 times/day! That's why I crossed to Librium. Then I only had to dose 2x/day. One of the keys to tapering is to keep busy thinking about other things, and dosing less often sure helps! :thumbsup:

I LOVED your Success Story!  :smitten:  I'm so happy for you!  You mentioned that your phobias are gone.    I've also noticed that my anxiety has improved a lot!  I used to "spin a yarn" in my head until I was almost in a panic, but that rarely happens.  Going from 4 to 3 doses, and then from 3 to 2 was sketchy but not unbearable.  I read Stuart Shipko's Xanax Withdrawl and did the stretch and cut method.    That made all the difference.  I don't know if that will fly when I go from 2 to 1 -  Time will tell.  :D 

Blessings to all. ❤️

Thanks for your update, attitude helps so much, and you have a head start going forward. Stay Strong and Stay Safe. Wise you have thrown the calendar away. Peace and Healing. :smitten:

I LOVED your Success Story!  :smitten:  I'm so happy for you!  You mentioned that your phobias are gone.    I've also noticed that my anxiety has improved a lot!  I used to "spin a yarn" in my head until I was almost in a panic, but that rarely happens.  Going from 4 to 3 doses, and then from 3 to 2 was sketchy but not unbearable.  I read Stuart Shipko's Xanax Withdrawl and did the stretch and cut method.    That made all the difference.  I don't know if that will fly when I go from 2 to 1 -  Time will tell.  :D

I read that book, too. I really like Shipko. But my brain was so cooked from the crazy dosing schedule my original nurse put me on, I could not read well enough follow Shipko's methods! I also seem to be a hyper-fast metabolizer, so a slower benzo worked better for me. If you find you need to dose the Xanax twice/day to the finish line, you could try the Rx liquid form. It's easier to make those tiny cuts with a liquid. But, with Shipko's method, maybe you will be able to cut tablets all the way. :thumbsup:

I read that book, too. I really like Shipko. But my brain was so cooked from the crazy dosing schedule my original nurse put me on, I could not read well enough follow Shipko's methods! I also seem to be a hyper-fast metabolizer, so a slower benzo worked better for me. If you find you need to dose the Xanax twice/day to the finish line, you could try the Rx liquid form. It's easier to make those tiny cuts with a liquid. But, with Shipko's method, maybe you will be able to cut tablets all the way. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip!  I'll keep that in mind if things get too shaky! 

@begood - Thanks for encouragement!  :smitten:

Worth another look:

Hooray!  Finally a group/thread which reflects my mind frame!  This is awesome!

My taper from Xanax started nuts-ville because I didn't know what my body needed.  Once I had that figured out, it's been smooth sailing and has only gotten easier and easier. 

The road is not always easy, but it is always worth it.  I can honestly say that this whole experience has been a gift to me because I found the root of who I truly am when I was forced to go to places that were way outside of my comfort zone, that I would not have taken myself voluntarily.  I've been blessed with the resources and opportunities to taper in a way that my body can tolerate, not everyone is as fortunate. 

For what it's worth, I can say that what has helped me a whole lot is meditation.  I've learned the skill of bearing witness to what I'm experiencing, and not becoming wrapped up in a story of it all, a story that quite frankly makes it feel a whole lot worse and scares the living daylights out of me.  I've learned the impermanence of everything through meditation, of becoming aware and knowing that everything passes, no matter how uncomfortable I may feel at the time.

Another nugget of wisdom I've found is that you ARE NEVER STUCK.  Ever.  So anytime you feel stuck, just repeat to yourself, "I am not stuck."  Because it's the truth.  Your cells are always changing, always renewing.  Your body is literally renewing itself as you read this.  For example, it has been scientifically established that cells inside the body regenerate at different speeds – liver cells in 6 weeks, stomach lining cells in 3 days, eye cells in less than 48 hours.  In one year from today, your entire body will contain 100% brand new cells where you will physically not be the same person that you are today.  Your healing is constantly happening.  What you are experiencing is temporary.  If you're going to doubt something, doubt your own limits.  Don't doubt your capabilities.

Love your body, love it while it heals.  Honor and respect the process it is inherently so smart to find its way through.  Listen to the messages of what it is saying it needs.  Is it rest?  Is it exercise?  Is it a hug?  Is it a creative outlet?  The key is finding who you are, understanding what promotes your own healing, and doing those things.  Be flexible, those things might shift from day to day.  For me, one day I'll be in a hot bath with candles, lavender oil and epsom salts to rest my tired body, the next day running my booty off to get the nervous energy out.  Be okay with it all, release the 'shoulds' and just love yourself through whatever arises. 

I choose to also focus on gratitude. I've found it's the one emotion that cannot be swallowed when I'm overwhelmed in benzo withdrawal upticks.  I might be grumpy as heck, irritable, anxious, etc.  But, I can ALWAYS find something to be grateful for.  And that feeling of gratitude takes me out of the negative feeling I was having, even if just for a few minutes.  It breaks the cycle, it stops that negative story from continuing in my head.  It gives me perspective and clarity.  It reminds me that I am much more than this experience.

You are capable, you are loved, you are much more than withdrawal.  And buddies, you are never alone. 

:smitten:

Candice

I'd never read this and I just have. It's so helpful that I'm putting in my plog.