The Easier Taper Support Group

[so...]

Just checking in to say that 8 months post "jump" I am feeling much more like my old self. A slow, symptoms-based taper worked for me. :thumbsup:

Gardie :)

Hi Gardie, thanks for bumping the thread. I remember you held a whole year and you didn't updose like I did. I'm 9 months into my crash, 8 months into my updose. I have improved but still have constant fear, though of course nothing like the three months after the crash. My question is about when to start tapering. My most concerning symptom apart from the fear, is that when I try to nap once every ten days out of fatigue, I lay on the couch and the second I close my eyes there's this very toxic activity constantly in my brain. Constant flow of memories of events from different times in my life, accompanied by very strong neuro emotions. This tells me how damaged my brain still is. At night I sleep due to trazodone and gabapentin and probably also because that's when I take the Valium, but with this glutamate storm I'm my brain, I'm really scared that cutting would lead me to another crash. I can't afford to be anything but extremely functional. Single working mom with no support. My priority is raising my daughter, not the taper, although I'd love to be able to taper again. My psychiatrist says that whilst I have this symptom, we're not cutting. I really appreciate his support. I'd love to hear your opinion on this symptom Gardener.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [ly...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Just checking in to say that 8 months post "jump" I am feeling much more like my old self. A slow, symptoms-based taper worked for me. :thumbsup:

http://justclickit.ru/smiles/image/jump/jump%20(76).gifGreat News Gardie, it feels so good to feel like ourselves, nothing better, and I believe it keeps on getting better as we continue to heal. Stay Strong.💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Hi Gardie, thanks for bumping the thread. I remember you held a whole year and you didn't updose like I did. I'm 9 months into my crash, 8 months into my updose. I have improved but still have constant fear, though of course nothing like the three months after the crash. My question is about when to start tapering. My most concerning symptom apart from the fear, is that when I try to nap once every ten days out of fatigue, I lay on the couch and the second I close my eyes there's this very toxic activity constantly in my brain. Constant flow of memories of events from different times in my life, accompanied by very strong neuro emotions. This tells me how damaged my brain still is. At night I sleep due to trazodone and gabapentin and probably also because that's when I take the Valium, but with this glutamate storm I'm my brain, I'm really scared that cutting would lead me to another crash. I can't afford to be anything but extremely functional. Single working mom with no support. My priority is raising my daughter, not the taper, although I'd love to be able to taper again. My psychiatrist says that whilst I have this symptom, we're not cutting. I really appreciate his support. I'd love to hear your opinion on this symptom Gardener.

I'm sorry things are so hard for you. :hug: This is a scary time, for sure. But you will get through this. It is a good sign that you've seen improvement.

I still don't nap during the day because my sleep is still like that. Sleep = anxiety. But I was put on the benzo for a severe sleep disturbance. So getting off the benzo was not going to fix that.

As to restarting a taper, I restarted something like this each time. (I've done the one long hold and many short holds.) I was doing daily micro tapering. I figured out what one tiny daily cut would be. I made the cut, but only one cut. And then waited a week. If things were tolerable, I made 2 cuts the next week. If things were tolerable, I went to every other day. If things were tolerable, I went to my daily micro-cuts. So I restarted very slowly.

So, ask yourself, can I function the way I am right now? If so, you could try the super slow start up method. You are very unlikely to crash. You will catch yourself before you do.

I'm glad the trazodone gives you sleep. It didn't work for me. It's a much safer med than Seroquel. :thumbsup:

Gardie :smitten:

P.S. I kind of lean toward what your psychiatrist is saying, wait a bit longer. You can see I waited a whole year. I also got my ducks in a row by learning mindfulness meditation and by making stronger social connections during that year .

http://justclickit.ru/smiles/image/jump/jump%20(76).gifGreat News Gardie, it feels so good to feel like ourselves, nothing better, and I believe it keeps on getting better as we continue to heal. Stay Strong.💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

:smitten: How are you doing since your walk off, BG?

Gardie- I’m so happy to hear about your success.  You mentioned that you were originally put on benzos for a sleep disturbance.  Have you done a sleep study?  I had undetected  sleep apnea for 30 years and had no idea!  It caused nocturnal panic attacks,  daytime anxiety, fatigue and all sorts of other things. Since being on CPAP my sleep is good and anxiety is so much better - and getting even better as I continue to slowly decrease the Xanax!

Congratulations on getting off!  :thumbsup:

I am doing really well, I feel pretty good, I do on occasion have mini mini blips, but they only last for maybe 30' and go away, I attribute that to healing of the brain in those particular areas. I am sleeping deeply, not any longer, and having dreams again so that is good, all in all I feel good. Even my benzo belly and lower GI problems a lot better. I know that the healing is going to take as long as it takes, and I am not dwelling on the time, it just does not matter, I am off and for that I will be eternally grateful, and I would not change a thing that I did to get walk off. :smitten: :smitten:

Gardener thank you so much for your response. I'll never do the dlmt because that's too hard for me. But I'm quite good with the scale after 4 years tapering Lexapro down to crumbs. When I try tapering again, I'll cut from 2.50 to 2.40 at first and give it a month. When you resumed your taper did you still have fear? My lack of natural sleep is not only due to anxiety, it's this glutamate damage where there's a storm of constant toxic memories and emotions that prevent any relaxation from happening. I can only keep that at bay by staying busy or at night with all the drugs. Hence my fear of tapering. I will try that tiny cut after the summer, only if the coronavirus crises is under control. Again, thank you kindly  :smitten:

Gardie- I’m so happy to hear about your success.  You mentioned that you were originally put on benzos for a sleep disturbance.  Have you done a sleep study?  I had undetected  sleep apnea for 30 years and had no idea!  It caused nocturnal panic attacks,  daytime anxiety, fatigue and all sorts of other things. Since being on CPAP my sleep is good and anxiety is so much better - and getting even better as I continue to slowly decrease the Xanax!

Congratulations on getting off!  :thumbsup:

Thanks, Hope. No, I was denied a study by my sleep doc. >:(  It's something I plan to look into when I see my new doctor.

I am doing really well, I feel pretty good, I do on occasion have mini mini blips, but they only last for maybe 30' and go away, I attribute that to healing of the brain in those particular areas. I am sleeping deeply, not any longer, and having dreams again so that is good, all in all I feel good. Even my benzo belly and lower GI problems a lot better. I know that the healing is going to take as long as it takes, and I am not dwelling on the time, it just does not matter, I am off and for that I will be eternally grateful, and I would not change a thing that I did to get walk off. :smitten: :smitten:

:smitten: :smitten:

Gardener thank you so much for your response. I'll never do the dlmt because that's too hard for me. But I'm quite good with the scale after 4 years tapering Lexapro down to crumbs. When I try tapering again, I'll cut from 2.50 to 2.40 at first and give it a month. When you resumed your taper did you still have fear? My lack of natural sleep is not only due to anxiety, it's this glutamate damage where there's a storm of constant toxic memories and emotions that prevent any relaxation from happening. I can only keep that at bay by staying busy or at night with all the drugs. Hence my fear of tapering. I will try that tiny cut after the summer, only if the coronavirus crises is under control. Again, thank you kindly  :smitten:

That sounds like a good plan. Yes, I always had waves of anxiety and fear, but I also had windows. As long as I could sleep and function, I kept going. I went as slowly as I needed to in order to live my life the way I wanted to and do what was important to me. :)

Thanks again Gardener. And in order to avoid crashing again, what would be the red flags that would tell you you're going too fast? My main fear is crashing myself into acute wd again. It took me three months to barely come out of that. And I know the updose doesn't work for some people. So after resuming your taper, what were the warning signs that you needed to hold longer?

You are so great Gardie.  Very happy just to be your friend and happier as you get better.  LY, Mary  :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks again Gardener. And in order to avoid crashing again, what would be the red flags that would tell you you're going too fast? My main fear is crashing myself into acute wd again. It took me three months to barely come out of that. And I know the updose doesn't work for some people. So after resuming your taper, what were the warning signs that you needed to hold longer?

Because sleep is a huge issue for me, when my sleep problems got worse, particularly the jolts that woke me up, that was my red flag. But for other people it could be something else.

I figured out my red flags by keeping a diary of any changes from my baseline, whether they were good or bad, anything atypical. I discovered if I tried to push through the sleep jolts, things went from bad to worse pretty fast, so I stopped doing that and did a short hold whenever they started. It was slow going, but it was worth it to avoid crashing.

You are so great Gardie.  Very happy just to be your friend and happier as you get better.  LY, Mary  :smitten: :smitten:

It is so good that we all have each other, Mary! You're a great friend to me and so many others. And a true warrior! :smitten:

It is so good that we all have each other, Mary! You're a great friend to me and so many others. And a true warrior! :smitten:

:mybuddy: :mybuddy: :hug:

Thank you Gardener. I get the sleep jolts CONSTANTLY if I ever try to nap. Not at night because I go to bed with Valium plus trazodone plus gabapentin. Having sleep jolts when trying to nap would be a red flag to keep holding? Sorry to ask so many questions. I really trust your experience.

Thank you Gardener. I get the sleep jolts CONSTANTLY if I ever try to nap. Not at night because I go to bed with Valium plus trazodone plus gabapentin. Having sleep jolts when trying to nap would be a red flag to keep holding? Sorry to ask so many questions. I really trust your experience.

No, not when trying to nap. When they overcame my sleep med at night. But that was just what I figured out for myself, that if I pushed through that things kept getting worse. It could be different for you.

I know you want to figure this all out ahead of time, as did I, but this process is a learn-as-you-go thing. That's why I think it's best to start slowly and then speed up slowly. It gives you space to learn. I think that when you've made a very small cut and nothing comes crashing down you will get some of your confidence back. Meanwhile, I'm very glad you have a doctor who is not rushing you. That is the very best thing to have in this. :thumbsup:

Thank you Gardie. You've given me such good advice always and you probably saved my life when I first landed here. I still have a folder somewhere with some of your posts printed that I read in my terror filled sleepless nights last summer. I will wait to see how this coronavirus evolves, and if we go back to some kind of normalcy I'll try a very small cut. Yes, I'm SO LUCKY with this psychiatrist. I visited five different doctors last summer and finally found this one. He doesn't believe many things, like cognitive impairment, becoming dumb due to withdrawal... He just laughs at that. Howe, he believes in symptom based tapers so yes, he's a rare jewel and I'm so glad I found him and hope I never lose him. I think he's sick of me but I'm trying to be nicer 😅. I promise not to ask more questions for a while. I already owe you many dinners. Have a nice day and I hope you keep improving and becoming more and more like your old drug free self and enjoy life like you deserve.

Thank you Gardie. You've given me such good advice always and you probably saved my life when I first landed here. I still have a folder somewhere with some of your posts printed that I read in my terror filled sleepless nights last summer. I will wait to see how this coronavirus evolves, and if we go back to some kind of normalcy I'll try a very small cut. Yes, I'm SO LUCKY with this psychiatrist. I visited five different doctors last summer and finally found this one. He doesn't believe many things, like cognitive impairment, becoming dumb due to withdrawal... He just laughs at that. Howe, he believes in symptom based tapers so yes, he's a rare jewel and I'm so glad I found him and hope I never lose him. I think he's sick of me but I'm trying to be nicer 😅. I promise not to ask more questions for a while. I already owe you many dinners. Have a nice day and I hope you keep improving and becoming more and more like your old drug free self and enjoy life like you deserve.

You have a very sensible plan. One day you will be off and helping other people, too! :smitten:

I don’t know how long ago anyone has posted here.  I love the idea of a support group for easier tapers.  I think people who don’t struggle a lot still need support.  I’ve had symptoms, but not a horror show.  Ive coped well and right now, I feel good.  My taper has been direct, not rapid, no updose etc.  I believe in healing, the brain can and will.  I believe in not over focusing on the hard parts.  A lot of people who suffer went Cold turkey or fast,  or jumped around in the doses.  I’d love to come back here and see new posts. 

I don’t know how long ago anyone has posted here.  I love the idea of a support group for easier tapers.  I think people who don’t struggle a lot still need support.  I’ve had symptoms, but not a horror show.   Ive coped well and right now, I feel good.  My taper has been direct, not rapid, no updose etc.  I believe in healing, the brain can and will.  I believe in not over focusing on the hard parts.  A lot of people who suffer went Cold turkey or fast,  or jumped around in the doses.  I’d love to come back here and see new posts.

:thumbsup: When you post it bumps this. So keep posting!

Gardie and BG I am so happy to hear that you are doing well! You are both success stories to be sure! Thanks for being such a great inspiration 💗🌈

Gardie and BG I am so happy to hear that you are doing well! You are both success stories to be sure! Thanks for being such a great inspiration 💗🌈

Thanks OliveKitty, you have joined us too, and you are inspiring others too. [glow=red,2,300]"Congrats on Your Walk Off" :thumbsup:[/glow]💚 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Thanks OliveKitty, you have joined us too, and I you are inspiring others too. [glow=red,2,300]"Congrats on Your Walk Off" :thumbsup:[/glow]💚 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

:thumbsup:  ;D:thumbsup:  ;D

Thanks OliveKitty, you have joined us too, and you are inspiring others too. [glow=red,2,300]"Congrats on Your Walk Off" :thumbsup:[/glow]💚 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Thank you!!! Slow and steady wins the game! 🐛🐛🐛