The Easier Taper Support Group

[so...]

bump

Good idea..!! :)

How are we all going Guys..??

Seems a lot of earlier posters are off now, but there is always plenty of room for more people..

:)

Im still chipping away at my final med (oxycontin), following the lyrica, and valium before that...

This last year I have been able to work on some more wholistic aspects of general health a lot better than in the years gone by...

-Project Cantfly... lol

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [ly...]

Top Posters In This Topic

bump

Good idea..!! :)

How are we all going Guys..??

Seems a lot of earlier posters are off now, but there is always plenty of room for more people..

Im still chipping away at my final med (oxycontin), following the lyrica, and valium before that...

This last year I have been able to work on some more wholistic aspects of general health a lot better than in the years gone by...

-Project Cantfly... lol

Hi there! I'm still around, but don't post a whole lot outside of my blog these days. I am in a messy part of recovery, dealing with a lot of life things that got away from me while I was on Valium and learning to manage my mental health without it. I continue to make progress. This holiday season, family members cried and told me how glad they were to have me back. Today my therapist told me this is the best she's ever seen me. This has been such a crucible.

Congrats on your progress, Cant!  :thumbsup: I've also taken a holistic approach. Keep on keepin on!

~ Gwinna

Good to hear from you Cant and Gwinna. Me, too. Doing holistic stuff to improve my health. Also, trying to connect back to the real world again. That seems to be a theme for all of us post benzo.

That's so great about your family and your therapist, Gwinna. My SIL recently told me I sounded more like my old self. Wonderful words to hear. Cant, I'm also doing another taper, my gabapentin. I got rid of about half of it and am now holding. I have become a big believer in holding when things (life, symptoms, whatever) get rough.

My prescriber (who I try to stay ahead of lest I get cut off of my meds when he retires), told me this week that my anxiety and depression were so deep that I should not expect to be able to get off my Librium. :2funny: I am off! And I feel better than I ever did while tapering. But also :nono: Imagine how I would have felt if he had said that when I was tapering. I would say what I thought of him, but I don't want to break the no profanity rule. ;)

I’m doing alright... turtling along at this point, moving very slow in my taper. Things have gotten hairier as I approach the 2 mg mark. Manageable for sure, however. Leaning more on my husband for driving- and resting a lot.  Also scaled back my work hours a bit. This taper is taking much longer than I expected, but, I’m realizing that there’s no perfect way to taper, and everyone has their own journey to take to get to 0.  Personally, I’m choosing to taper very slowly, heal on the way down, and preserve as much functioning as possible as I get to 0.  With 2 kids and 2 step kids, I can’t lay in bed until this is over  :smitten:

I’m doing alright... turtling along at this point, moving very slow in my taper. Things have gotten hairier as I approach the 2 mg mark. Manageable for sure, however. Leaning more on my husband for driving- and resting a lot.  Also scaled back my work hours a bit. This taper is taking much longer than I expected, but, I’m realizing that there’s no perfect way to taper, and everyone has their own journey to take to get to 0.  Personally, I’m choosing to taper very slowly, heal on the way down, and preserve as much functioning as possible as I get to 0.  With 2 kids and 2 step kids, I can’t lay in bed until this is over :smitten:

You are a very wise woman. :smitten:

Good stuff..!! -Great to hear from you all... :)

No “wise” words from me.. -you all know the deal..

Gard, I can see your Dr getting a “special” letter from you once your all done and free..

Im still struggling with some aspects of posting and interacting, -Same in life..  The more the connection, the harder it is.. Like a fish out of water.. Yet I can talk to strangers with no problems at all... -A very social shopper... lol

Family etc, is a whole other matter..!!

I need to start a thread on Pro-biotic start up issues, but dread having to reply...

I wonder if its a commitment issue related to fatigue..??  Kind of avoiding appearing rude..??

Anyways, something isnt right yet, but im just starting to see little sparks of change at times...

Many, especially physical SX have eased right off now, but have a little tantrum with each of my cuts on the last med... Some still have a ways to go and need that transition back into life to help knock them on the head once and for all...  A bit of a chicken or the egg thing still though...

Strength and well wishes to you All...

I can totally relate to the worry about being able to interact, Cant. I have been through lots of times like that. It's not as bad now, but it is still a struggle at times. Comes and goes. Yes, the fatigue makes one afraid of committing to anything. I think you could start a thread. You could throw in a disclaimer that you read and appreciate replies even if you don't always feel up to posting.

I agree with Gardie, Cant.  Start the thread- we all definitely understand why people go quiet sometimes.  I know fatigue definitely knocks me on my butt often lately.

Awww.. Thanks Guys.. :)

I keep waiting till I feel a bit better, then when I do, I end up doing something else..!!

-lol, maybe tonight... :)

Hi everyone.

I really like this thread. There's so much common sense and down to earthness in it.

Candace, I see you cut 4mgs 11 months. For some of us that's a lot so I can relate to it becoming difficult. I wish I'd slowed down and I wouldn't have crashed. You're doing the wise thing IMO.

Gardener and Cantfly, I never would've thought of you two having social issues! As for not having enough energy to post, it's true that both of you always answer very thoroughly, you take time to write long posts with all the pros and cons etc, and that must be exhausting. But of course your posts are like little benzo withdrawal articles and many of us are benefiting from them. The balance between helping others while not losing all your energy in the process. I hope you guys take care of yourselves too apart from caring for all of us.

Cantfly I agree with other buddies, you can open the thread warning that you're not able to answer much but you'll do so when your taper and life allows. Others can come up with great info too. My belly is full of gas always but I'm not spending a single penny on another supplement throughout this taper. I'm convinced all those supplements are out to kill me, based on what happened when I tried magnesium, vitamin d and multivitamins  >:(

I’m doing alright... turtling along at this point, moving very slow in my taper. Things have gotten hairier as I approach the 2 mg mark. Manageable for sure, however. Leaning more on my husband for driving- and resting a lot.  Also scaled back my work hours a bit. This taper is taking much longer than I expected, but, I’m realizing that there’s no perfect way to taper, and everyone has their own journey to take to get to 0.  "Personally, I’m choosing to taper very slowly, heal on the way down, and preserve as much functioning as possible as I get to 0.  With 2 kids and 2 step kids, I can’t lay in bed until this is over"  :smitten:

Good insight, do what you can, when you can. It is OK to be a Turtle.💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Hi everyone.

I really like this thread. There's so much common sense and down to earthness in it.

Candace, I see you cut 4mgs 11 months. For some of us that's a lot so I can relate to it becoming difficult. I wish I'd slowed down and I wouldn't have crashed. You're doing the wise thing IMO.

I actually cut only 2 mg in 11 months, roughly 4 in about 2 years.

Candace you're right. I still think I'm living in 2019 and I misinterpreted your signature. Yes, some of us need to go slow and I think that's much better than ending up in such a bad place that you can't function.

Hello everyone.

I am new here and have been learning a lot about benzodiazepine withdrawl. Cantfly recommended I drop by so I am.

I haven't started my taper yet, however about a month ago I did try to cut from 1mg of xanax in the morning to .75mg and needless to say, it was a very uncomfortable week. I ended up updosing back to 1mg because I didn't really know what was going on. After looking at some YouTube videos I found BB and decided to learn all I can. I'm going to the doctor on Jan 27th to discuss a tapering plan, not sure if I'm ready to start personally as withdrawling hit me like a truck and I couldn't focus on work. Benzo WD living alone without financial support is very difficult. Just hoping my doctor doesn't decide to rip me off the xanax against my will but that's a risk I have to take as much as I don't want to. He is a new doc of mine and it's not his fault I developed a dependency on these pills, so it makes me nervous as I don't have much of a relationship with them yet.

Anyways. Want to drop by and introduce myself. I've been spending too much time reading horror stories and that naturally is doing more harm than good. This is a journey I don't want to be on but then again none of us did.

Welcome Zurek!  Congratulations for deciding that you want off of Xanax. It may be a long road, but it is entirely possible and you WILL get there. Start when you feel ready. In fact, your entire taper should be on your terms. The more you feel safe and secure with your pace, the better. That being said, find a doctor that understands benzo withdrawal or is at least willing to let your body set the pace. No doctor should be ripping anyone off of a benzodiazepine, because it’s potentially deadly. It’s no one’s fault that dependence is developed- it’s the body’s natural process when the medication is taken daily as prescribed. There’s no shame in this.  I always say to people- We don’t blame anyone for developing tolerance or dependence to blood pressure medication, etc., so why is this medication tolerance or dependence anyone’s wrongdoing?  And please be kind to yourself, don’t beat yourself up for updosing or taking an extra .5 mg. You’re only doing the best you can with what you have to find your way through this.

Hello everyone.

I am new here and have been learning a lot about benzodiazepine withdrawl. Cantfly recommended I drop by so I am.

I haven't started my taper yet, however about a month ago I did try to cut from 1mg of xanax in the morning to .75mg and needless to say, it was a very uncomfortable week. I ended up updosing back to 1mg because I didn't really know what was going on. After looking at some YouTube videos I found BB and decided to learn all I can. I'm going to the doctor on Jan 27th to discuss a tapering plan, not sure if I'm ready to start personally as withdrawling hit me like a truck and I couldn't focus on work. Benzo WD living alone without financial support is very difficult. Just hoping my doctor doesn't decide to rip me off the xanax against my will but that's a risk I have to take as much as I don't want to. He is a new doc of mine and it's not his fault I developed a dependency on these pills, so it makes me nervous as I don't have much of a relationship with them yet.

Anyways. Want to drop by and introduce myself. I've been spending too much time reading horror stories and that naturally is doing more harm than good. This is a journey I don't want to be on but then again none of us did.

Welcome. :) I started my Xanax taper way too fast and had to cross to Librium and then hold a long time recover well enough to taper again. I sometimes think if I had up-dosed back to start and started over I would have had an easier, shorter taper. If you up-dose quickly, you can often recover quickly and then start again from a much better place.

One thing I would suggest is getting the Rx liquid Xanax and diluting it. Xanax is very potent and short-lived. Most people dose 4x/day. It's hard to make small reductions by cutting tablets. However, there is a Xanax Support Group, so maybe somebody on there knows how to dry cut it. I used the liquid (but foolishly did not dilute until after I crashed).

Another thought, not everybody can find a doctor willing to taper them. They just get their scripts filled and taper themselves. ;)

If you haven't yet, you might want to go back and read some of the earlier posts on this thread. There is a wealth of info on here about how to taper with less pain. :thumbsup:

I’m doing alright... turtling along at this point, moving very slow in my taper. Things have gotten hairier as I approach the 2 mg mark. Manageable for sure, however. Leaning more on my husband for driving- and resting a lot.  Also scaled back my work hours a bit. This taper is taking much longer than I expected, but, I’m realizing that there’s no perfect way to taper, and everyone has their own journey to take to get to 0.  Personally, I’m choosing to taper very slowly, heal on the way down, and preserve as much functioning as possible as I get to 0.  With 2 kids and 2 step kids, I can’t lay in bed until this is over  :smitten:

Hi Candice,

Good to hear from you and happy that you are doing alright, I hope things will get better and better for you! Yes, there is not such a thing as a perfect way to taper that "fits" all, but I think that keeping our functionality is of outmost importance. :thumbsup: Great work!  :smitten:

Hello everyone.

Hello Zurek,

Just droping by to wellcome you  :)

I agree with what Gardener and Candice wrote you, so not much to add.

It might be helpful to remind yourself that there are easier tapers too, so you are at the right place :)

blue

Thanks everyone!

I guess one thing that is constantly bothering me about all this is, I really have no idea what a 'comfortable' taper feels like. The week that I tapered put me in a very dark place that I do not want to return to. What does one expect as 'tolerable'?

My biggest fear is going back to the constant fear, panic, and depressive state. My physical WD symptoms didn't go much further than muscle/eye twitches, fast heart rate/palpitations and I think it's causing my BP to rise. Naturally not being able to sleep either. The doc put me on lisinopril (5mg) to compensate, and this is one of the reasons I want to get off. I currently smoke, but will be working toward quitting as I'm sure it will just make everything worse, but it's also a nervous habit of mine which makes it difficult.

My problem is I'm afraid my doctor will think I'm an addict and start tapering me right away with 10 other medications to go with it. I am hoping this is an unsound fear but I won't know until I try. If he decides to taper me too quickly I'll do my best to find a different doctor before time runs out.

At this point I just want my life back. For the 8 years or so I've been taking the 1MG it never gave me any problems, but after the taper I haven't felt 'right' since. It's just one of those situations where I don't want to take this medication if it does this to me, but I'm terrified to go through the taper if it is uncomfortable as I cannot take time off work, nor lose my job.

My bosses are aware of this, as I gave them full disclosure on what to expect from me, and they were the ones pushing me to go to a doctor and get it worked out as its been a constant distraction at work worrying about tapering.

Thank you for your kind words everyone!

Hi Candice,

Good to hear from you and happy that you are doing alright, I hope things will get better and better for you! Yes, there is not such a thing as a perfect way to taper that "fits" all, but I think that keeping our functionality is of outmost importance. :thumbsup: Great work!  :smitten:

Thank you :))))

The wonderful support you all provide says to reduce the amount we are taking based on symptoms.

For those of you tapering from K, when do symptoms show up?  I started a taper in November at 0.5mg and I am at now at 0.365. If you have symptoms that are difficult do you just hold at that dosage or do you update? When do people update? I am also working with a compounding pharmacy. Thanks for your help with this!

Hi 52.  It's updose.  You would only updose if your symptoms are very bad.  To hold, you symptoms should be getting worse and and you want to hold as quickly as possible to keep them from ramping to the point you need to updose.  Updosing and holding when the symptoms have become out of control or you are working and need to keep yourself as stable as possible.  So there are many reasons to do a hold, an updose, or both.  All are symptom intensity related and what is happening in your life at the time.  I hope that made sense.  Mary 💜

Thanks everyone!

I guess one thing that is constantly bothering me about all this is, I really have no idea what a 'comfortable' taper feels like. The week that I tapered put me in a very dark place that I do not want to return to. What does one expect as 'tolerable'?

I can say that for me, I'm constantly redefining "comfortable" based on what I'm experiencing.  What was comfortable for me when I began this taper has changed wildly, because there are so many layers of healing that I've been through within my body and my emotions.  I was way less able to cope with withdrawal when I first began.  I've definitely developed coping mechanisms, so my comfort zone with this whole thing has expanded. 

I'm finding that withdrawal has so many facets, so many symptoms that come and go.  I know I can tolerate some better than others.  For instance, I can tolerate the fatigue a lot better than I can the irritability.  Also there are ways that the withdrawal has affected my life that I can tolerate more than other ways- for instance, I can tolerate needing to rest every day and spend hours on the couch, more than I can tolerate not being able to drive. 

I am grateful to be able to help people just beginning this process, please send yourself love for finding support from the very beginning of your withdrawal experience.  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the information Candice!

It definitely helps to know what to expect beyond what I experienced with a 25% reduction. You mention that you have trouble driving. That could be a deal breaker for me as I work out of town. Is it because of the medication or a symptom with withdrawl? I am glad there are others here that offer positive feedback to us newbies!