Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Open Group  ·  69 members

Music Lovers

I AM Rockfan, therefore I am... a rock fan: You knew I was going to do this...

[ro...]

Happy you liked "Carry Me" by Crosby & Nash, guys :) I also like CNSY "Old Man" (1974 - Live). Awesome music & lyrics. It’s more of a Neil Young’s song, though. And wouldn’t be suitable to post on Nash’ b-day. Anyway, age is mostly a state of mind. Neil’s b-day is on 12 Nov. A Scorpio like me. Almost the same date. Hope to still be here and not to miss it. Great singer, songwriter and guitar player. From what I know, he was less than thrilled that his "Rockin’ in the Free World" (1989) was used in a political campaign some time ago. But we’re not talking politics here.

Am a big Neil Young fan. This is my favorite video of Neil live performing Like A Hurricane in Berlin 1982. He shreds it. Love performers that give it their all. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeDADr2M6qo

"Like a Hurricane" (1977) is one of my fav songs by Neil. This concert version is just awesome. Thanks TMB :thumbsup: I remember Slash once saying he only listens to concert versions, as they show how good a guitar player really is. There’s something to it... Neil was totally in the zone. In a state of flow. Like him and the guitar were one. Makes me think of Jimi Hendrix. Neil is definitely one of my fav musicians. Also very good bass by Bruce Palmer on this one.

Posting the studio version for those who want to compare. Along with Songfacts & Lyrics & Artistfacts. Lots of interesting stuff here about the song. Also lyrics for non-native speakers of English. Am one of them, actually.

And a great article from "GuitarWorld" about Neil’s technique and equipment. Neil is actually so good, one can’t help but look for a reason why...

That is really a great story behind that song and how it came to be. What inspiration looks like. I share Slash's opinion about watching live versions, which I normally prefer for late sixties onward. Prior to that, I got interested in the "wrecking crew" studio musicians that did most of the studio recordings for all the major artists of the early to late sixties. Glen Campbell, Leon Russell, Jim Gordon, Bill Pitman, Dr. John and many others. I saw a really excellent documentary on the Wrecking Crew a couple years ago -- an awesome movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0BUyHVsNt0

Here's another hidden psychedelic gem from days long gone.

Anyone ever see the movie "Psych-Out" with Jack Nicholson from 1968?

Strawberry Alarm Clock ~ "Pretty Song from Psych-Out"

Here's another hidden psychedelic gem from days long gone.

Anyone ever see the movie "Psych-Out" with Jack Nicholson from 1968?

Strawberry Alarm Clock ~ "Pretty Song from Psych-Out"

Very good bass on this one. Haven’t seen the movie, but l like Jack Nicholson a lot. My fav movie with him is "As Good as It Gets" (1997). He won an Oscar for it. Love the way he’s performing this

. A great actor, can be so funny :)

Happy B-day, Axl, since I’m here (see above) :thumbsup: Today is the correct date. GN’R again. With one of the best Slash’ solos. Although he initially considered it a simple "string skipping” exercise and hates the song overall. Reminds me how Ed Van Halen thought "Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love" was no good and kept it secret for a year. It was really sad how Slash could mess up a solo at a concert when he was drunk. So happy to see him 13 yrs clean & sober.

Guns N’Roses

: vid (1989)

Artistfacts & Lyrics & Songfacts

I really like Jack Nicholson. My top five Five Easy Pieces, A Few Good Men, The Shining, Terms of Endearment, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. I could swap out As Good As It Gets for Terms of Endearment in my list, they are interchangeable for me. What a body of work.

While onthe subject of Nicholson, a great soundtrack from Easy Rider features my song for the day, Hendrix's "If 6 was 9" [soundtrack version vs. Axis Bold As Love version] https://www.last.fm/music/Jimi+Hendrix/_/If+6+Was+9/+wiki

Diggin' a little deep this morning on a CCR tune.

Creedence Clearwater Revival ~ "Effigy"

Great choice. I used to listen to a lot of CCR back in the day. Songs like Keep On Chooglin and Born on the Bayou were favorites. RE: Effigy, I mostly settled in later years on the Gov't Mule (Warren Haynes) version, so it was nice to travel back to the CCR version!

My song of the day, Allman Brothers Band, "Dreams" -

"Just one more mornin' I had to wake up with the blues..."

I really like Jack Nicholson. My top five Five Easy Pieces, A Few Good Men, The Shining, Terms of Endearment, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. I could swap out As Good As It Gets for Terms of Endearment in my list, they are interchangeable for me. What a body of work.

While onthe subject of Nicholson, a great soundtrack from Easy Rider features my song for the day, Hendrix's "If 6 was 9" [soundtrack version vs. Axis Bold As Love version] https://www.last.fm/music/Jimi+Hendrix/_/If+6+Was+9/+wiki

I’ve seen so many movies in my lifetime I barely remember the plots. Only the emotions. There’s an awesome film with Jack Nicholson: "The Pledge": (2001). He plays a retired cop there. Who pledges to catch the killer of a young girl.

The film was based on Friedrich Dürrenmatt’s story, written for a German movie. The author specialized in philosophical crime novels. I only remember being deeply impressed by the film. It was one of a kind, really. Have never seen anything like this before.

Speaking of crime and Jimi Hendrix. Does anyone remember this? The first song of The Jimi Hendrix experience. One of my fav Jimi’s songs.

"Hey Joe” (1966) - music (best sound)

Watched the vids with comments, read one that made me laugh: "We play this at work, the only reason why I still work there."

R.I.P. Jimi Hendrix (27 Nov. 1942 - 18 Sept. 1970)

Diggin' a little deep this morning on a CCR tune.

Creedence Clearwater Revival ~ "Effigy"

Great rock song from the 60s. My fav one by CCR is

(1970). Been working for this kind of ppl most of my life. Difficult to remain sane.

"It ain’t me, it ain’t me,

I ain’t no wearing Wrangler jeans [...]"

(Wrangler used this song in their 2000 commercials. Misinterpreting the lyrics grossly and on purpose. Which upset John Fogerty a lot. Reminds me of that story with Neil Young and "Rockin’ in the Free World".)

Duane Allman (Skydog) was a guitar genius. Here he is playing guitar in a studio session for Wilson Pickett in The Beatles’ cover of

(1969).

R.I.P. Duane Allman (20 Nov. 1946 - 29 Oct. 1971)

Duane Allman (Skydog) was a guitar genius. Here he is playing guitar in a studio session for Wilson Pickett in The Beatles’ cover of

(1969).

R.I.P. Duane Allman (20 Nov. 1946 - 29 Oct. 1971)

Definitely one of the greatest. I wore out the vinyl record of Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore, particularly "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed", back in 1970 I guess it was. Then I wore out Eat a Peach, particularly "Blue Sky". I was always struck by how reverently Clapton always spoke of Skydog, as he does in the intro on the link you provided. Of course, their guitar work together with Derek and the Dominoes was mutual inspiration.

I’ve seen so many movies in my lifetime I barely remember the plots. Only the emotions. There’s an awesome film with Jack Nicholson: "The Pledge": (2001). He plays a retired cop there. Who pledges to catch the killer of a young girl.

The film was based on Friedrich Dürrenmatt’s story, written for a German movie. The author specialized in philosophical crime novels. I only remember being deeply impressed by the film. It was one of a kind, really. Have never seen anything like this before.

Speaking of crime and Jimi Hendrix. Does anyone remember this? The first song of The Jimi Hendrix experience. One of my fav Jimi’s songs.

"Hey Joe” (1966) - music (best sound)

Watched the vids with comments, read one that made me laugh: "We play this at work, the only reason why I still work there."

R.I.P. Jimi Hendrix (27 Nov. 1942 - 18 Sept. 1970)

The first album I ever purchased in my life was "Are You Experienced". Hey Joe was a highlight, as well as The Wind Cries Mary. Loved the line "After all the jacks are in their boxes, And the clowns have all gone to bed....".

I never saw Nicholson's "The Pledge". Need to add that to my list of movies I need to see.

Song for today, the old Billie Holiday song, "God Bless the Child", by Blood, Sweat & Tears. Love the horns, keys, .... everything .... David Clayton-Thomas powerful vocalist. Lyrics so true. Studio version:

Damn, you guys are posting some killer tunes. I guess that's why I started this thread in the first place, for kick ass music. No disappointments here!  :thumbsup:

Here's a deep cut from 1970 that I may have posted before. A tune that I usually listen to 2-3 times in a row when I do.

Listen close enough and could hear a bit of Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song" which more than likely was an influence. These guys could easily pass for Deep Purple if one didn't know better. Dig the French horn.

Lucifer's Friend ~ "Ride in the Sky"

https://youtu.be/GX5uGJ4eask

Damn, you guys are posting some killer tunes. I guess that's why I started this thread in the first place, for kick ass music. No disappointments here!  :thumbsup:

Here's a deep cut from 1970 that I may have posted before. A tune that I usually listen to 2-3 times in a row when I do.

Listen close enough and could hear a bit of Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song" which more than likely was an influence. These guys could easily pass for Deep Purple if one didn't know better. Dig the French horn.

Lucifer's Friend ~ "Ride in the Sky"

https://youtu.be/GX5uGJ4eask

Rockfan - very high energy! I've only passively listened to LF, so I am just a bit familiar. Definitely hear Zep's Immigrant song. Cool that it is with horns.

Hey rockers!

This is not rock. I don't think I know what to make of it even now.

Tilahoun Gessesse - Alegntaye

YES - really like this which reminded me of this:

more please

Hey rockers!

This is not rock. I don't think I know what to make of it even now.

Tilahoun Gessesse - Alegntaye

YES - really like this which reminded me of this:

more please

Right on point. How did I do without mulatu Astatke before this?  They're both ethiopian. TG is the only one I knew until now.

Here's some early 70's Krautrock. Singer sounds like a drunk witch.

Amon Duul II ~ "Archangel Thunderbird"

Drunk witch is a good description. I'm embarrassed to say I was not familiar with this band, but my horizons are now broadened.

In the spirit of prog rock and falsetto voices, song for the day: Rush, "Red Barchetta", live from their 2011 tour which, despite their advancing ages they really kicked butt. I enjoy listening to this album straight through from time-to-time and the video really showcases their collective (Alex Lifeson, Neal Peart, Geddy Lee) virtuosity>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eULGEKncHvI

Here's some early 70's Krautrock. Singer sounds like a drunk witch.

Amon Duul II ~ "Archangel Thunderbird"

Drunk witch is a good description. I'm embarrassed to say I was not familiar with this band, but my horizons are now broadened.

In the spirit of prog rock and falsetto voices, song for the day: Rush, "Red Barchetta", live from their 2011 tour which, despite their advancing ages they really kicked butt. I enjoy listening to this album straight through from time-to-time and the video really showcases their collective (Alex Lifeson, Neal Peart, Geddy Lee) virtuosity>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eULGEKncHvI

Rush has always been a great band. Never saw them live but any live footage I've seen has always been pretty damn impressive.

Rush ~ "Finding My Way"