Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Open Group  ·  69 members

Music Lovers

I AM Rockfan, therefore I am... a rock fan: You knew I was going to do this...

[ro...]

U2 "Walk On": Music & Lyrics

"All this you can leave behind [...]"

I have my own interpretation of the lyrics. A bit different from that of U2. I understand it in a more universal way. They talk about a given case. Although Bono sometimes admits it can refer to a certain attitude one may assume in the face of adversities. Staying true to one’s values and keeping one’s dignity, regardless of the consequences. As Albert Camus once said: "Man is an idea, and

a precious small idea once he turns his back on love." Therefore, love is the only thing one cannot leave behind. The rest simply doesn’t count in the end.

Umphrey's McGee cover of Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" performed at Red Rocks Amphitheater in Morrison, Colorado on 7/3/2015. If I am ever in a funk, this pulls me out. Great musicianship. Enjoy.

Umphrey's McGee cover of Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" performed at Red Rocks Amphitheater in Morrison, Colorado on 7/3/2015. If I am ever in a funk, this pulls me out. Great musicianship. Enjoy.

Wow, that's pretty impressive. Excellent cover.

Pink Floyd ~ "The Nile Song"

Sorry if this one's been posted but no rock anthology would be complete without this solo by Eddie...https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sI7XiJgt0vY

http://i68.tinypic.com/iw7s6o.jpghttp://i63.tinypic.com/v4z591.jpg

"To hell with the rules. If it sounds right, there it is." [Eddie Van Halen]

Happy Birthday, Eddie!!!

Born 26 Jan. 1955 & 11 Years Sober

We’re a bit late. Better late than never :thumbsup:

Van Halen "Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love" (1978): Music (best sound) & Lyrics

Songfacts & Artistfacts

Eddie’s Bio from Van Halen News Desk

Eddie Van Halen on Surviving Addiction, Why He’s Still Making Music

and What He Really Thinks about David Lee Roth - Billboard Cover

Happy B-day to Graham Nash.

The Hollies ~ "Stop, stop, stop"

Crosby Stills & Nash ~ "49 Bye Byes"

Yeah, let’s celebrate their B-days while they’re still here :thumbsup:

Crosby & Nash

(1975)

Lyrics

Happy B-day to Graham Nash.

The Hollies ~ "Stop, stop, stop"

Crosby Stills & Nash ~ "49 Bye Byes"

49 Bye Byes must be like 50 years ago! Has been quite a long time since I heard that song. Great selection off a truly classic album: Wooden Ships, Suite Judy Blue Eyes, Marrakesh Express, Helplessly Hoping, and my fave Long Time Gone, etc.

This is the B Side of G.S.the Q.  - and I always thought it superior to the A side.  R.I.P. Sid - anniversary of the poor boy's death.  I think he performed this song.  Let me know if he recorded it - you Pistol's fans.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlMckSqHcE4

He only recorded "Bodies", but was overdubbed by Steve Jones. The whole record is Jones on the bass. He always wanted to learn to play bass, but addiction to drugs and Nancy Spungen made it impossible. Lived too short, 21 yrs only.

Yeah, that’s him in the vid. Honestly, I cannot watch Sex Pistols’ vids, because of him. Can only listen to the record, as he doesn’t play bass there. His story has been haunting me all my life.

with his pix. Brings tears to my eyes each time I see it.

A good bio from The Guardian: "Sid Vicious: Little boy lost". I think it accurately describes whom he really was and where he came from.

About him and Nancy from Ultimate Classic Rock: "The Tragic Story of Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen".

Honestly, it’s too depressing for me to post any Sex Pistols song on this date. Thank you for the reminder, WBB. That would be the final blow for today... Maybe it’s good I forgot...

R.I.P. John Simon Ritchie - Sid Vicious (10 May 1957 - 2 February 1979)

Crosby and Nash's "Carry Me" is one I've never heard before Estee. Thanks for posting.

I love digging up old gold from the past, TooManyBennies. Musical therapy is where it's at.

Here's another psychedelic gem from the good old days.

The Byrds ~ "This Wheel's On Fire"

Crosby and Nash's "Carry Me" is one I've never heard before Estee. Thanks for posting.

I love digging up old gold from the past, TooManyBennies. Musical therapy is where it's at.

Agree that the Byrd's version of the Dylan/The Band song is a "gem". It is a better listening experience, at least given my taste.

Speaking of taste, Estee has good taste pointing you to Carry Me.

Great cover of Bob Dylan’s song. The Byrds recorded it in 1969, two years after Dylan and The Band. In fact I like it much more than the original one. The same goes for Jimi Hendrix’ "All Along The Watchtower" (1968), which features one of the best guitar solos of all time. Dylan himself was stunned by Jimi’s version of this song. It gives me the chills each time I have it on my headphones. Not gonna elaborate on it, would be straying from the subject. It’s enough to listen.

Okay, back to The Byrds’ song. Awesome vocals by Roger McGuinn. Superb guitar solo by Clarence White. Who died in a tragic accident at the age of 29 (1973). Just 4 yrs after the release of the "Dr. Byrds & Mr. Hyde" (1969) album. The record features one more Dylan’s cover: "Lay Lady Lay”. It’s very good, but I prefer Dylan’s version. One of my fav songs.

BTW, Dylan fully deserved that Nobel’s Prize in Literature in 2016. Although he was reluctant to accept it for obvious reasons. The lyrics of "This Wheel’s On Fire" are open to interpretation. However, the "wheel on fire" could be be the singer anticipating death, speaking to a friend, enemy or God.

Happy you liked "Carry Me" by Crosby & Nash, guys :) I also like CNSY "Old Man" (1974 - Live). Awesome music & lyrics. It’s more of a Neil Young’s song, though. And wouldn’t be suitable to post on Nash’ b-day. Anyway, age is mostly a state of mind. Neil’s b-day is on 12 Nov. A Scorpio like me. Almost the same date. Hope to still be here and not to miss it. Great singer, songwriter and guitar player. From what I know, he was less than thrilled that his "Rockin’ in the Free World" (1989) was used in a political campaign some time ago. But we’re not talking politics here.

http://i68.tinypic.com/15xu1hk.jpghttp://i65.tinypic.com/2agp650.jpg

Happy Birthday, Alice Cooper!!!

Born Vincent Damon Furnier, 4. Feb., 1948

Clean and Sober Since 1982

"Mistakes are part of the game. It’s how well you recover from them, that’s the mark of the great player." [Alice Cooper]

If you like AC, then put on some goth make-up on and play "Poison" at full blast today :thumbsup: Love this song. I think it can apply to both sexes, if one doesn’t see the vid. So posting two versions: the first Original Music Video and the second one with lyrics. For women addicted to toxic men - Mr Unavailables, as I call them. BTW, Ms Unavailables also exist. After all, they’re in the first vid.

Alice Cooper

(1989): Original Music Video

Lyrics & Artistfacts & Songfacts

Alice Cooper "Poison" - Lyrics & Vid

AC’s bio from "RollingStone"

AC on Sobriety and Mental Health for "the fix"

If there ever was a keyboard/pianist who could really set the mood it would have been Richard Wright.

I love starting my Sunday mornings with this song. One would think they were conjuring angels (or the ghosts of Pompeii) with this number.

Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii 1971 ~ "Celestial Voices"

If there ever was a keyboard/pianist who could really set the mood it would have been Richard Wright.

I love starting my Sunday mornings with this song. One would think they were conjuring angels (or the ghosts of Pompeii) with this number.

Indeed. I also think Nick Mason does a tremendous job on drums. What a band. They figure prominently in my collection.

Happy you liked "Carry Me" by Crosby & Nash, guys :) I also like CNSY "Old Man" (1974 - Live). Awesome music & lyrics. It’s more of a Neil Young’s song, though. And wouldn’t be suitable to post on Nash’ b-day. Anyway, age is mostly a state of mind. Neil’s b-day is on 12 Nov. A Scorpio like me. Almost the same date. Hope to still be here and not to miss it. Great singer, songwriter and guitar player. From what I know, he was less than thrilled that his "Rockin’ in the Free World" (1989) was used in a political campaign some time ago. But we’re not talking politics here.

Am a big Neil Young fan. This is my favorite video of Neil live performing Like A Hurricane in Berlin 1982. He shreds it. Love performers that give it their all. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeDADr2M6qo

Totally agree. Richard Wright was playing the Hammond B-3 Organ. But I’d rather listen to it before sleep. So deeply relaxing. David Gilmour is a guitar genius. He was using his fav black Fender Stratocaster. Great job by Roger Waters on Fender Precision bass and by Nick Mason on drums. There’s such a perfect harmony between them playing. It’s incredible.

Am a big Neil Young fan. This is my favorite video of Neil live performing Like A Hurricane in Berlin 1982. He shreds it. Love performers that give it their all. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeDADr2M6qo

"Like a Hurricane" (1977) is one of my fav songs by Neil. This concert version is just awesome. Thanks TMB :thumbsup: I remember Slash once saying he only listens to concert versions, as they show how good a guitar player really is. There’s something to it... Neil was totally in the zone. In a state of flow. Like him and the guitar were one. Makes me think of Jimi Hendrix. Neil is definitely one of my fav musicians. Also very good bass by Bruce Palmer on this one.

Posting the studio version for those who want to compare. Along with Songfacts & Lyrics & Artistfacts. Lots of interesting stuff here about the song. Also lyrics for non-native speakers of English. Am one of them, actually.

And a great article from "GuitarWorld" about Neil’s technique and equipment. Neil is actually so good, one can’t help but look for a reason why...

http://i67.tinypic.com/nxjjph.jpg

Don’t you cry tonight, Duff & Axl...

It’s not over yet. Happy Birthday to Both!!!

Duff McKagan (born Feb. 5, 1964) - the guy in the middle - 24 yrs sober :thumbsup:

Axl Rose (born Feb. 6, 1962) - would have a fit of fury to receive b-day wishes a day earlier...

Guns N’Roses

: vid (1991) from the "Use Your Illusion I" album

Lyrics & Songfacts & Artistfacts

Still a good vid, while "November Rain", also by Andy Morahan, is dangerously close to a kitsch. Lovely scene with Stephanie in the bar, fighting over Axl. And Slash driving the car off a cliff with a screaming chick inside. BTW, he was actually beaten by that chick. But he survived. So many wonderful guitar solos, like "Sweet Child O’ Mine", "Welcome to the Jungle", "November Rain", "Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door", "Estranged", "Civil War" etc.

Some great work for Velvet Revolver - on the part of Slash, Duff, Matt and the late Scott Weiland.

(2004) is my fav song, with a great riff by Slash. Songfacts & Lyrics for this one.

Not a good time to talk about Scott. Here’s sth more optimistic. A great

- interview with Duff.

Well, Duff turned into an accountant after he had gotten sober, according to the interview. And this article from "The Independent". He also published an interesting autobiography, which was made into a movie before GN’R last tour. A new "Not in this Lifetime..." European tour is planned for Summer 2018. So the guys are in top form.

Not much to say about Axl. Hoping the therapy helps. And that he resolves and gets over his past demons. May be a difficult person. But a great frontman. There would be no GN’R without him.