Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Open Group  ·  73 members

Music Lovers

I AM Rockfan, therefore I am... a rock fan: You knew I was going to do this...

[ro...]

You ever heard Riviera Paradise? Some neat guitar work by Stevie.

Very cool :thumbsup: Awesome, dreamy sound of his Fender Strat. Twenty-seven yrs since Stevie’s gone... My fav one is

. A beautiful, Hendrix-inspired ballad, which he wrote for his wife and soulmate of 13 yrs, Lenora.

And also

. He was very much influenced by Jimi Hendix, one of his greatest guitar heroes, and it can heard it in his music. A perfect mixture of rock and blues, with a touch of jazz. Another guitar legend gone too soon, at 35 yrs of age only...

Stevie had gotten clean and sober 4 yrs before his tragic death. As a result, his playing style improved greatly. Although at first, he was scared to perform without drugs and booze.

R.I.P. Stevie Ray Vaughan (October 3, 1954 - August 27, 1990)

http://i65.tinypic.com/s59ueg.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/6xrg9z.jpghttp://i65.tinypic.com/10hod51.jpg

Pink Floyd

(1975): Vid & Lyrics

To me, this song’s lyrics have become an internal dialogue with my inner child. Since I first heard them. Time is an illusion. It is relative. It has been proved by both philosophy and by physics.

All time favorite Floyd song and Album as well. WYWH to me, is simply a cut above the rest. One of the very few old classic rock album's I can still listen to from front to back and still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

All time favorite Floyd song and Album as well. WYWH to me, is simply a cut above the rest. One of the very few old classic rock album's I can still listen to from front to back and still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

They wrote this song for Syd Barrett, whom they lost to schizophrenia. He was replaced by David Gilmour, an incredible lead guitar player. "Uncomfortably Numb" features one of the best guitar solos I’ve heard in my all entire life.

The magic of songs is you can often interpret them any way you want. In "Wish You Were Here", Roger Waters is actually talking to Syd. It’s difficult to get how much emotions ppl with schizophrenia are able to feel. But for those close to them, their change and autism is extremely painful. They have to take APs, which kill all creativity.

These lyrics are a real masterpiece, as well as the music. All the metaphors he uses. Cannot say if Roger Waters is a poet. Don’t know Pink Floyd so much. He’s a very talented writer, for sure. The way I interpret the song is probably depressing. I don’t like to dwell on negative emotions. Road to nowhere. At least for me.

R.I.P. Lemmy. Damn, can't believe it's been two years now. I'll be jammin' some Motorhead and some early tunes today for sure.

Motorhead ~ "Metropolis"

Hawkwind ~ "Silver Machine"

https://youtu.be/yao_T2adl14

Hawkwind ~ "Lost Johnny"

http://i68.tinypic.com/2vkymnk.jpghttp://i63.tinypic.com/5b4g0z.jpg

"Death is an inevitability, isn’t it? You become more aware of that when you get to my age. When

I go, I want to go doing what I do best. If I died tomorrow, I couldn’t complain. It’s been good."

[Lemmy Kilmister, in a 2013 interview with the "Classic Rock” magazine]

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister (24 December 1945 - 28 December 2015)

Motörhead

("No Remorse" - 1984): Original Music Video

Always alive in our hearts. One of the last great rockers, who never gave up. Kept his great ironic sense of humor to the end. Lived and breathed rock n’roll all his life. Was indestructible. Didn’t give

a damn about fame and money. About "what people think." His most faithful fans were his pals. They hung around with the band backstage. Lived in a modest two bedroom appt. in L.A. Not in some fancy moronic mansion. Thank you, Lemmy. For everything. See ya... Sometime... Somewhere...

Lyrics

Article from "GuitarWorld" about Lemmy and Motörhead, realeased at the time of his death.

http://i65.tinypic.com/9u9ffd.jpg

For my Kitty. To sum up 2017. Hoping that 2018 will be better for us both.

"And all these emotions of mine keep holding me from

Giving my life to a rainbow like you [...]" [Jimi Hendrix]

Jimi Hendrix "Bold As Love" (1967)

Songfacts & Lyrics

A quick explanation of the concept "axis". It is spiritual. Not related to history or politics. Just as the human brain theoretically should be sth more than a "mystical cauliflower". As my fav poet once put it. After having read comments in "Songfacts" - wanted to clarify.

Black Sabbath ~ "Zero the Hero"

One of Tony Iommi’s best guitar solos ever. Geezer Butler’s bass and Ian Gillan vocals. Very good. Great lyrics. Among my fav lyrics in the Black Sabbath’s repertoire. Too bad Gillan left for Deep Purple. Maybe not. What about "Sweet Child in Time”, "Highway Star”, "Smoke on the Water", "Perfect Strangers", "Wasted Sunsets". To name but a few I like most. Ritchie Blackmore is a guitar genius as well. Thanks Rockfan for posting this wonderful Black Sabbath’s song. Like The Doors’ "Hyacinth House" a lot, too.

I quite enjoyed Born Again with Gillian at vocals 'Trashed' is one of my fav tracks  :thumbsup:

"I knew I wouldn't make it the car just wouldn't make it"

I quite enjoyed Born Again with Gillian at vocals 'Trashed' is one of my fav tracks  :thumbsup:

"I knew I wouldn't make it the car just wouldn't make it"

Yeah, that song has a great rhythm. Ian Gillan’s screams are amazing. No matter how lousy my mood, hearing this man always makes me smile. He’s a fine vocalist.

Tony is awesome on the whole record. I particularly like "Born Again". A superb rock ballad with very good lyrics, included in the link. I’m not much into the original vid, sorry. I don’t like having interpretations of lyrics forced down my throat.

I also like Black Sabbath’s cover of "Smoke on the Water", recorded live with Gillan at the Reading Festival in 1983. An excellent riff by Tony. A masterpiece. Here are the correct lyrics. Those in the link are not.

Though his playing style is so totally different from Ritchie Blackmore’s. Here is a

by Deep Purple to compare the two versions.

However, I prefer Ozzy singing "Paranoid" than Gillan. It’s a perfect song for Ozzy ;)

One of Tony Iommi’s best guitar solos ever. Geezer Butler’s bass and Ian Gillan vocals. Very good. Great lyrics. Among my fav lyrics in the Black Sabbath’s repertoire. Too bad Gillan left for Deep Purple. Maybe not. What about "Sweet Child in Time”, "Highway Star”, "Smoke on the Water", "Perfect Strangers", "Wasted Sunsets". To name but a few I like most. Ritchie Blackmore is a guitar genius as well. Thanks Rockfan for posting this wonderful Black Sabbath’s song. Like The Doors’ "Hyacinth House" a lot, too.

Yep, the solo in Zero the Hero makes that song so much more addictive. Ian can wail good and proper as well. I saw The Doors movie from '91 with Val Kilmer and had that song stuck in my head afterwards, even though it's not in the movie. Glad you like it.

Just found out Ray Thomas from The Moody Blues died last week. Damn! Another one gone and right before their induction into the R&R Hall of Fame.

Put your headphones on for this one.

Moody Blues ~ "Are You Sitting Comfortably"

Yep, the solo in Zero the Hero makes that song so much more addictive. Ian can wail good and proper as well. I saw The Doors movie from '91 with Val Kilmer and had that song stuck in my head afterwards, even though it's not in the movie. Glad you like it.

Just found out Ray Thomas from The Moody Blues died last week. Damn! Another one gone and right before their induction into the R&R Hall of Fame.

Put your headphones on for this one.

Moody Blues ~ "Are You Sitting Comfortably"

Great song. Yeah, Ray Thomas died on Jan. 4th, 2018. Prostate cancer. Like Lemmy. So sad... Men should have a PSA test done since 45 yrs old. Lemmy had metastasis in his brain and cervical spinal cord. Friends took him to a brain scan just two days before death. Cause he was talking strangely. Can’t believe he played a gig just two weeks earlier...

My fav song by Moody Blues is "Nights in White Satin". Ray Thomas did the flute and backing vocals on both songs. Here is an article about him from "RollingStone".

Then there’s the 2nd anniversary of David Bowie’s death on Jan. 10th. It’s tomorrow. Won’t probably have time to make a post by then. Will do it later. I liked him a lot.

http://i68.tinypic.com/24npv9k.jpg

"Though nothing

Nothing will keep us together

We can beat them, forever and ever

We can be Heroes, just for one day" [...]

One of the most beautiful love songs I’ve ever heard. It’s always been for T. Though he’ll never know it. So grateful to David Bowie for this song. And for many others. Two years since he’s gone. Two days after his 69th birthday. In New York. Today. He was diagnosed with liver cancer in mid-2014. He’s not forgotten. He lives in the art he’s left behind. Forever and ever.

R.I.P. David Bowie (8 January 1947 - 10 January 2016)

David Bowie

(1977): Vid + Lyrics

Artistfacts + Songfacts

Article from the "RollingStone", released at the time of David Bowie’s death

Article about David Bowie from "Wikipedia"

http://i68.tinypic.com/24npv9k.jpg

"Though nothing

Nothing will keep us together

We can beat them, forever and ever

We can be Heroes, just for one day" [...]

One of the most beautiful love songs I’ve ever heard. It’s always been for T. Though he’ll never know it. So grateful to David Bowie for this song. And for many others. Two years since he’s gone. Two days after his 69th birthday. In New York. Today. He was diagnosed with liver cancer in mid-2014. He’s not forgotten. He lives in the art he’s left behind. Forever and ever.

R.I.P. David Bowie (8 January 1947 - 10 January 2016)

David Bowie

(1977): Vid + Lyrics

Artistfacts + Songfacts

Article from the "RollingStone", released at the time of David Bowie’s death

Article about David Bowie from "Wikipedia"

I was in a pretty bad way when I got the news of David's passing. It was about 3:00 in the morning when I was scrolling through FB and came across it there. I thought it was a B.S. post like much of the crap seen on FB so I investigated and sure enough, it was true.

I had "Heroes" playing on the big stereo in my room and in the living room at a generous volume early that morning. The haunting echo of that song ringing through my house on that dreary day still makes me shiver when I think about it. I love that song.

R.I.P. Mr. Bowie.

David Bowie ~ "DJ"

https://youtu.be/MvwrWI3RJuc

Goo Goo Dolls - We Are The Normal

Awesome song, LRF. Great music & lyrics.

My fav one by Goo Goo Dolls will always be

(1998). Posted a vid with lyrics. I still don’t know how to understand those lyrics. Although I’m familiar with the context. Guess they make me think about my Kitty. However strange it may seem. I don’t mind being strange. Not anymore. "You’re the closest to heaven that I’ll ever be [...]" "And all I can taste is this moment. And all I can breathe is your life. When sooner or later it’s over. I just don’t want to miss you tonight." [...] "And I don’t want the world to see me, ‘cause I don’t think that they’d understand. When everything’s made to be broken. I just want you to know who I am [...]”

Thanks, I love "Iris" very much, too. I remembered when it started playing on the radio. Great song. I loved the melancholy feel of it. Still do.

I think "We are the normal" was co-written by Paul Westerberg, one of the founders of the Replacements. An alcoholic himself, though not to the point that he destroyed his life (he still writes songs and performs). "Here comes a regular" is one the best songs on the subject of a man who is slowly fading away. I remember hearing it for the first time in my 20's and the song broke my heart. The emotions just poured through the song. Oddly, it really helped me to listen to it when I was depressed. The way how the song touches on those feelings of loneliness, isolation and shame is amazing.

The Replacement - Here comes the regular

https://youtu.be/Oya9HZ85XAM

Well a person can work up a mean mean thirst

After a hard day of nothin' much at all

Summer's passed, it's too late to cut the grass

There ain't much to rake anyway in the fall

And sometimes I just ain't in the mood

To take my place in back with the loudmouths

You're like a picture on the fridge that's never stocked with food

I used to live at home, now I stay at the house

And everybody wants to be special here

They call your name out loud and clear

Here comes a regular

Call out your name

Here comes a regular

Am I the only one here today?

Well a drinkin' buddy that's bound to another town

Once the police made you go away

And even if you're in the arms of someone's baby now

I'll take a great big whiskey to ya anyway

Everybody wants to be someone's here

Someone's gonna show up, never fear

'Cause here comes a regular

Call out your name

Yes here comes a regular

Am I the only one who feels ashamed?

Kneeling alongside old Sad Eyes

He says opportunity knocks once then the door slams shut

All I know is I'm sick of everything that my money can buy

A fool who wastes his life, God rest his guts

First the lights, then the collar goes up, and the wind begins to blow

Turn your back on a pay-you-back, last call

First the glass, then the leaves that pass, then comes the snow

Ain't much to rake anyway in the fall

Thanks, I love "Iris" very much, too. I remembered when it started playing on the radio. Great song. I loved the melancholy feel of it. Still do.

I think "We are the normal" was co-written by Paul Westerberg, one of the founders of the Replacements. An alcoholic himself, though not to the point that he destroyed his life (he still writes songs and performs). "Here comes a regular" is one the best songs on the subject of a man who is slowly fading away. I remember hearing it for the first time in my 20's and the song broke my heart. The emotions just poured through the song. Oddly, it really helped me to listen to it when I was depressed. The way how the song touches on those feelings of loneliness, isolation and shame is amazing.

The Replacement - Here comes the regular

https://youtu.be/Oya9HZ85XAM

Well a person can work up a mean mean thirst

After a hard day of nothin' much at all

Summer's passed, it's too late to cut the grass

There ain't much to rake anyway in the fall

And sometimes I just ain't in the mood

To take my place in back with the loudmouths

You're like a picture on the fridge that's never stocked with food

I used to live at home, now I stay at the house

And everybody wants to be special here

They call your name out loud and clear

Here comes a regular

Call out your name

Here comes a regular

Am I the only one here today?

Well a drinkin' buddy that's bound to another town

Once the police made you go away

And even if you're in the arms of someone's baby now

I'll take a great big whiskey to ya anyway

Everybody wants to be someone's here

Someone's gonna show up, never fear

'Cause here comes a regular

Call out your name

Yes here comes a regular

Am I the only one who feels ashamed?

Kneeling alongside old Sad Eyes

He says opportunity knocks once then the door slams shut

All I know is I'm sick of everything that my money can buy

A fool who wastes his life, God rest his guts

First the lights, then the collar goes up, and the wind begins to blow

Turn your back on a pay-you-back, last call

First the glass, then the leaves that pass, then comes the snow

Ain't much to rake anyway in the fall

Yeah, this one is even better than the previous. Beautiful accoustic ballad. Very good lyrics. This is what I call poetry. Even put on my headphones on to listen. Though I’ve barely woken up. Makes me think of some Dylan’s songs. Sometimes a song touches one’s heart in a way, it’s impossible to forget it. And one comes back to that song over and over again. I have songs that make me cry each time I listen. Like Jimi Hendrix’ "Little Wing". And many others. I have songs that bring back distinct memories from the past. Some in my native language. It was very difficult to hear those songs in the office. When I was sitting in a room with many ppl. Cause suddenly this song came up on the radio. I started crying and had to leave the room. So that nobody could see me crying. That someone is a high-functioning alcoholic doesn’t mean they don’t suffer. They suffer much more than those who are recovering. I met those ppl at AA meetings. I distinctly remember their faces, their words, their suffering. Many are dead by now. Guess I’m gonna listen to this song many times in the future. Right now must have a proper mood to face another day in paradise...