Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Open Group  ·  73 members

Music Lovers

I AM Rockfan, therefore I am... a rock fan: You knew I was going to do this...

[ro...]

While I really liked Kurt, he really did suffer from depression and some sort of stomach issue I read. I seen an in dept interview with him here in Toronto not long before his death. He really seemed to be a decent guy. At least i was left with this impression after the interview.

Another honourable mention and one really miss as well is Layne Staley........his voice was just an amazing fit for that style of dark music. Haunting classic along with Jerry. 'Nutshell' is one that rips into me. My apologies if this has already been mentioned in this thread.

Yes, "Man in the Box" is where his voice really shined, too. He seemed like a great guy. I remember he plunged into total despair when his girlfriend died (don't remember if it was an OD or some illness). He never, ever recovered after that. I recall him say in an interview that he used drugs to numb the pain. He wasn't glorifying drug use. They were kind of a defensive shield for him. Quite different from the usual mainstream rhetoric. It sounds like he sort of "had it under control" until his gf died. After that, it got really bad. But the other guys from Alice in Chains were all into heroin, so I imagine it is hard to get off of it, while being surrounded by people who partake into the same thing. Imagine living in a household of 4 where everyone's go-to stress relief is valium. Goodness gracious, the problems.....

Absolutely! One needs a strong support mechanism in place for a chance at success.

I think this is why Metallica has overcome this, they are family and "all in" need to isolate from the bad/negative peripheral influences.

While I really liked Kurt, he really did suffer from depression and some sort of stomach issue I read. I seen an in dept interview with him here in Toronto not long before his death. He really seemed to be a decent guy. At least i was left with this impression after the interview.

Another honourable mention and one really miss as well is Layne Staley........his voice was just an amazing fit for that style of dark music. Haunting classic along with Jerry. 'Nutshell' is one that rips into me. My apologies if this has already been mentioned in this thread.

Yes, "Man in the Box" is where his voice really shined, too. He seemed like a great guy. I remember he plunged into total despair when his girlfriend died (don't remember if it was an OD or some illness). He never, ever recovered after that. I recall him say in an interview that he used drugs to numb the pain. He wasn't glorifying drug use. They were kind of a defensive shield for him. Quite different from the usual mainstream rhetoric. It sounds like he sort of "had it under control" until his gf died. After that, it got really bad. But the other guys from Alice in Chains were all into heroin, so I imagine it is hard to get off of it, while being surrounded by people who partake into the same thing. Imagine living in a household of 4 where everyone's go-to stress relief is valium. Goodness gracious, the problems.....

Absolutely! One needs a strong support mechanism in place for a chance at success.

I think this is why Metallica has overcome this, they are family and "all in" need to isolate from the bad/negative peripheral influences.

Yes, I think that's how REM had done it as well. I'm pretty sure that they all dabbled in this or that, but I think they reigned one another in really well, and also, they would also collaborate musically, as well. I recall Michael Stipe being very sad when Bill Berry left the band, because they didn't just lose a drummer. They lost one of their great songwriters, too. Bill wrote quite a few good songs, and he was the one who would reign the others in, and would be the one to say, "Nope, this part is too long, this doesn't belong here, this is too much. Lets do this instead". That sort of thing.

When REM wrote "Let me In", which was a tribute to Kurt Cobain, Peter Buck somehow switched from his guitar to an organ, and Mike Mills didn't play his bass as he alwas did, and played the guitar for that number. Peter Buck has always been a much more proficient guitarist than Mills, but Mills playing is so full of fire, that it really fitted the song.

The Bomber with Joe ripp’n it on slide.

Joe Walsh is a great guitar player :thumbsup: One of the best masterpieces of all time is "Hotel California" (1977) by The Eagles. Awesome interplay between Joe Walsh and Don Felder (on the 12-string electric guitar), which creates a textured sound. It has a wonderful guitar coda and great lyrics. They were written by the late Glenn Frey. One of the best guitar solos ever. Timeless classic. One chiefly hears Felder in the solo part, but the song just wouldn’t be half as good without Walsh.

For me, this song is about addiction. The "Hotel California" is actually addiction, IMO. And the mysterious woman could be an addictive substance... There are so many interpretations. Broken relationship... I don’t buy into it. I think the lyrics are much more metaphorical. Last thing I remember, I was running for the door. I had to find the passage back to the place I was before. "Relax", said the night man, "We are programmed to receive. You can check-out anytime you want, but you can never leave." It’s like with addiction, IMO. Don Felder composed the song. Glenn Frey wrote the lyrics. Love the song. It’s perfect.

In just five days there will be the second anniversary of Glenn Frey’s death. R.I.P. Glenn Frey (Nov. 6, 1948 - Jan. 18, 2016).

Happy 49th anniversary to Zep's first jaw dropping album. Nothing like it before and much like Sabbath, drove a dagger straight through the heart of the hippy-era "peace and love" music (not that there's anything wrong with that). Mmmm, sounds so good.

January 9th was Mr. Page's birthday too but I missed it. Here's to him and his. Cheers!

Love the blistering guitar solo in "You Shook Me"

Led Zeppelin ~ "You Shook Me"

Killer base line and groove...

Led Zeppelin ~ "How Many More Times"

Jimmy Page - one of the greatest guitar players of all time :thumbsup: 

"You Shook Me" is a very good cover of Muddy Waters blues classic. BTW, M.W. liked it a lot. The first Zep’s song to use a call-and-response blues style. Page used his “backward echo" technique on this song towards the end, along with Plant’s screaming vocals. Plant is a good screamer, one must admit...

"How many more times" is also influenced by some old blues songs. Jimmy Page used a violin bow to play guitar on this one and "Dazed and Confused".

Lots of great tracks there. Difficult to choose. My own fav song from this record is probably "Babe I’m Gonna Leave You". This is a cover of the song by Joan Baez. Like ballads, can’t help it. Great accoustic guitar by Jimmy Page (he used Gibson J-200). Awesome vocals by Robert Plant. "Communication Breakdown" is also one of my favs, great down stroke riff, a punk rock song ahead of the time.

Yeah, Zep stole quit a bit of material for sure, but who doesn't. The mighty Zep was my first love. I remember the first time I heard them, they absolutely floored me. Black Dog was the song that did it. Up till that point nobody recorded music like they did. Jimmy Page was a wizard in the studio. They had a completely different management direction than any other band as well. Their manager, Peter Grant was a force to be reckoned with. He was a mean motherfucker if you tried to cross the band. Him and the roadies were always beating someone's ass for attempting to boot-leg a show os rip them off. They had their own little "mafia" so to speak. Richard Cole (road manager) and John Bonham were known to cause mayhem on tour.

I love how Jimmy Page keeps releasing remastered material every 8-10 years or so and has kept some stuff hidden in his back pocket all these years. Like this tune...

Led Zeppelin ~ "Sugar Mama"

I don’t know much about those older bands’ history. Just listened to some records. Very cool song :thumbsup: Jimmy Page actually makes each of Zep’s songs special. There’s a great solo and bassline (by John Paul Jones) on "Heartbreaker".

This solo inspired Ed Van Halen to develop his "tapping" technique (

- 1987). Ed is a guitar genius. So happy he’s got sober. Here’s an article from "The Fix" on the subject. I think it’s been 11 yrs. I guess his alcoholism ruined his first marriage. What’s really sad is that he started drinking cause of stage fright. His dad told him to. How very nice.

Been awhile since I checked out this thread , lots of great tunes! You mentioned Johnny Cash's cover of Rusty Cage. Did you ever hear his cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt"? Haunting... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go

Yeah, I absolutely love this cover. I rarely watch the vid, though. Cause for me, it’s a very personal song. Made me cry many times. Johnny’s version is way better that Trent’s, IMO. It’s a masterpiece. There’s so much emotion and pain in his voice when he’s singing it. The best proof "fame and fortune" don’t really make ppl happy. Wanted to post it, but have had very little time lately. This week is gonna be tough, overall.

This came out the summer I turned 14. First Judas Priest song I ever heard. I had an older cousin with a '69 Charger with an 8 track player. He played this tape over and over. Fastest car I was ever in in my life. The speedometer went up to 160 mph and he buried it one night rolling down 74 into Cincinnati. I'll never forget the tunnel vision. Picture yourself doing 160 when you listen to this...https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ocLYOrgOwaM

Sorry if this one's been posted but no rock anthology would be complete without this solo by Eddie...https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sI7XiJgt0vY

Totally different genre, but I always loved Seger. Only singer I ever saw who sounded every bit as good live as he does in the studio.

Hey Confused, I’m still alive. Just having a difficult, stressful, busy week. Hoping to survive. Yeah, Bob Seger is great :thumbsup:

He wrote such a wonderful tribute in 2017 to the late Glenn Frey of the Eagles:

. It’s second anniversary of Glenn’s death tomorrow, Jan. 18. Here are the lyrics for the non-native speakers of English.

I have always liked

(1973). About life on the road. Wonderful melancholy and reflective song. Awesome lyrics and music.

Metallica did a really great

in 1998, on the "Garage Inc." album. The saxophone part has been replaced by a high slide guitar by Kirk Hammett. Posting the version with lyrics, cause the vid is very disturbing and sad. But also quite good and anyone can google it for themselves if they wish.

I guess the song’s lyrics could be understood metaphorically. Like they’re about the hardships one faces in life. Yet one always has to rise after the fall and go on living as best as one can. As long as there’s life. There’s hope for a better future.

It was depressing to hear about Dolores O’Riordan’s death on Monday. Was never a big fan of The Cranberries, but she was still very young (46 yrs old) and talented. She suffered from depression. Not much is yet known about the cause of death.

Since someone close to me has just passed away unexpectedly and in tragic circumstances. I’m very sad and still trying to believe it’s true. Cause it somehow seems completely unreal. So those deaths of famous ppl don’t affect me so much ATM. I need time to accept and somehow understand what has happened in my own world.

Lol, it looks like my song selections shut down thread! Sorry.  :D

No, they didn't. Just not feeling all too good lately. Excellent Judas Priest selection BTW.

Gotta start my day off with a Sabbath fix.

Black Sabbath ~ "A National Acrobat"

Oh yeah. How about this one...https://youtu.be/X7UZeHvMYZA

Or this one...https://youtu.be/5mpy_L-p398

On a sad note, Estee is leaving us. Some kind of controversy with another poster and decided to quit. I'll miss her rock insights. Not a lot of hardcore female rockers like her.