Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Open Group  ·  73 members

Music Lovers

I AM Rockfan, therefore I am... a rock fan: You knew I was going to do this...

[ro...]

Little Rapid Fire from Mr. Halford and THE boys...........yeah baby!!  :thumbsup:

A nice shot of adrenaline in the morning. I love Metallica. They put so much enthusiasm in everything they do. James is not only a great guitar player. His stage antics are so funny. He seems to be genuinely happy to play with all those heavy metal legends. I remember it was the same thing with Lemmy. James has always adored Lemmy. As well as Lars. Who’s an energy bomb, made in DK. Kirk is the most quiet of them probably, but a great soloist. He was trained by Joe Satriani. Woke up in a gloomy mood, still thinking about David Bowie’s early demise. I see Navita that this hasn’t affected you so much ;)

The vid put a smile on my face. Rob Halford is a great singer. He’s just celebrated 32 yrs of being clean and sober three days ago :thumbsup: "One day at a time", he said. I deeply admire all those rockers who managed to quit mind-altering substances. With all the incredible pressure of being a rockstar. It ain’t so easy. My fav song by Judas Priest has always been:

Judas Priest

(1980): Vid

http://i64.tinypic.com/2yto8y1.jpg

"Feel as though nobody cares

If I live or die

So I might as well begin

To put some action in my life" [...]

[Rob Halford]

Great quote for today...

Artisfacts + Lyrics + Songfacts

Thought I'd put another Ride song here. Love the guitars and harmonies in this one. But it's the drumming that makes the song....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This thread keeps expanding nicely. Never thought I’d find a rock/heavy metal thread on BB. They didn’t have one on SA. Not a single music thread. Music is therapeutical. We were supposed to have sun here till Wed. No sun... Too bad...

Glad you liked "Heroes", Rockfan. Good song you posted. There are so many great David Bowie’s tracks, it’s even difficult to choose one. Yeah, maybe he’s become part of the Universe. Like in "Space Oddity". We all will one day. The important thing is never to give up. Never stop trying. So there’ll be nothing to regret when time comes to leave this Earth.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2yki5hx.jpg

"Tell my wife I love her very much, she knows [...]"

David Bowie

(1969): Vid + Lyrics

Artistfacts + Lyrics + Songfacts

Delving into the early to mid 90's with a couple I used to have on my "get stoned to" playlist from years ago. Albeit most of the lists were in my head, always satisfying. :thumbsup:

Smashing Pumpkins ~ "Rhinoceros"

Mazzy Star ~ "Halah"

Little Rapid Fire from Mr. Halford and THE boys...........yeah baby!!  :thumbsup:

A nice shot of adrenaline in the morning. I love Metallica. They put so much enthusiasm in everything they do. James is not only a great guitar player. His stage antics are so funny. He seems to be genuinely happy to play with all those heavy metal legends. I remember it was the same thing with Lemmy. James has always adored Lemmy. As well as Lars. Who’s an energy bomb, made in DK. Kirk is the most quiet of them probably, but a great soloist. He was trained by Joe Satriani. Woke up in a gloomy mood, still thinking about David Bowie’s early demise. I see Navita that this hasn’t affected you so much ;)

The vid put a smile on my face. Rob Halford is a great singer. He’s just celebrated 32 yrs of being clean and sober three days ago :thumbsup: "One day at a time", he said. I deeply admire all those rockers who managed to quit mind-altering substances. With all the incredible pressure of being a rockstar. It ain’t so easy. My fav song by Judas Priest has always been:

Judas Priest

(1980): Vid

http://i64.tinypic.com/2yto8y1.jpg

"Feel as though nobody cares

If I live or die

So I might as well begin

To put some action in my life" [...]

[Rob Halford]

Great quote for today...

Artisfacts + Lyrics + Songfacts

Seen Priest in their hayday......British Steel tour and 'Screaming' tour. Hero Hero (Dreamer Deceiver :thumbsup:) is my fav album though, with Steel a close second.

Metallica's energy still blows me away..........they're actually tighter and sound better than ever. How the hell James's voice has hung in there is unreal. He's improved as well, his version of Purples's "blindman" is pretty good IMO.........and your correct James seems to have more fun than ever now! Killer frontman so sho. I seen an interview with him re: drugs and all the surrounding rock star stuff that surrounds them and how he deals with it, and they as a "unit" insulate themselves from all the drug and drinking and groupies ect with the right people. Plus the familys now come along alot on the tours. Man, they've been through so much and to come out truely better people is saying something.

Estee, not sure what you meant re: Bowie

Best Grunge band of the era IMO............got some rust on the cage!

I could listen to Rusty Cage 20 times in a row. Killer tune!

It was great to be reminded of that Mazzy Star song. Thanks.

:thumbsup: Glad you liked it.  :thumbsup:

Last concert I'd seen (2012) before I got benzo sick. Unfortunately, they didn't play it :(

Seen Priest in their hayday......British Steel tour and 'Screaming' tour. Hero Hero (Dreamer Deceiver :thumbsup:) is my fav album though, with Steel a close second.

Metallica's energy still blows me away..........they're actually tighter and sound better than ever. How the hell James's voice has hung in there is unreal. He's improved as well, his version of Purples's "blindman" is pretty good IMO.........and your correct James seems to have more fun than ever now! Killer frontman so sho. I seen an interview with him re: drugs and all the surrounding rock star stuff that surrounds them and how he deals with it, and they as a "unit" insulate themselves from all the drug and drinking and groupies ect with the right people. Plus the familys now come along alot on the tours. Man, they've been through so much and to come out truely better people is saying something.

Estee, not sure what you meant re: Bowie

Unfortunately, couldn’t see Judas Priest between 70s and 80s. I was a little kid then.

is an awesome heavy metal ballad, with great lyrics. Rob Halford can sing in an almost as high-pitched voice as Gillan ;) Great vocalist. Wonderful guitar solo by Glen Tipton. Love it!

I guess James had most problems with his alcohol addiction. Of all Metallica. Probably also due to his difficult childhood. Not only the pressure of being a rockstar. He managed to stay seven mos in the Arizona rehab in 2001, however. Then was recovering four further mos with his family. He’s also been undergoing a rehab program since 2002. He’s been married for more than 20 yrs and has three kids!!! Lots to live for. Besides his passion, which is music. A lot of his sobriety has probably to do with his wife.

BTW, I think my husband owes 14 yrs of being clean and sober not only to AAs, but also to me... Sadly, I was the one who relapsed. Into benzos. I don’t only get why James loves hunting. That’s tough to accept. I adore animals. Can’t wear those studded leather jackets anymore, though... Mother is wearing them.

Metallica’s version of "When a Blind Man Cries", is awesome. Though I prefer Deep Purple’s version. Ritchie Blackmore is an absolute guitar genius. Gosh, the way he plays it... Getting high on his solo ATM. The lyrics are wonderful. So melancholy. The "heaviness" of the sound is a bit different. Deep Purple is a rock band, after all. I think it’s one of Lars’ fav bands. Well, mine too. And Metallica, of course.

As to Bowie. I was joking. I have a very dark, ironic sense of humor. Sth like Lemmy. Slash said at Lemmy’s funeral that Lemmy’s sense of humor was "sarcastic". He may be a great guitar player, but he should work on his English a bit. I’m not a native English speaker, BTW. But I happen to be a translator and terminologist. And a photographer lately. Peace :thumbsup:

Delving into the early to mid 90's with a couple I used to have on my "get stoned to" playlist from years ago. Albeit most of the lists were in my head, always satisfying. :thumbsup:

Smashing Pumpkins ~ "Rhinoceros"

Mazzy Star ~ "Halah"

Love the Smashing Pumpkins. I think I’m getting stoned on their music solely. Billy Corgan and James Iha used to be a great team. Billy is an extremely talented musician and songwriter. The vid is quite decent. So many of the Smashing Pumpkins’ songs were ruined by moronic vids. Will post some of my fav songs by the Smashing Pumpkins later. There’s one which has an absolutely amazing riff.

Mazzy Star - also a cool band. Will post my fav song later. Now I can only listen to how Ritchie Blackmore plays "When a Blindman Cries." Thanks to Navita, who reminded me of this great song. Nothing can give one a high comparable to great music. Can hear every note in my headphones. Hope to stop soon and move on to more constructive activities...

Best Grunge band of the era IMO............got some rust on the cage!

Hey again, Navita. Glad you didn’t post the original vid. Which is really bad. I don’t know who makes such vids and why those folks get hired at all. This song deserved a much better vid. Some ppl simply shouldn’t be allowed to hold a camera in their hands.

"Rusty Cage" is an awesome song. With a great riff. As Kim Thaiyl explained, the tuning on the song was quite specific. With a wah wah in low position used as a filter. One can’t really get that tone on an amp, and Chris came up with the idea. The E string was tuned all the way to B.

Chris was a great singer and musician. Very sad he died so young and in such a tragic way. Alcohol, opioids, benzos. In the vid, the guys also mention Johnny Cash did the cover of the song. I find the cover quite good. Johnny Cash did another wonderful cover. I’m gonna post it sometime. Meanwile, I’m posting

. R.I.P. Jonny Cash (Feb. 26, 1932 - Sept. 12, 2003). R.I.P. Chris Cornell (July 20, 1964 - May 18, 2017).

BTW, I prefer Pearl Jam and Nirvana to Soundgarden. But it’s my personal taste in music. I love Mike McCready’s playing style. He’s especially good on "Alive" and "Yellow Ledbetter". The second one was influenced by Jimi Hendrix. Kurt Cobain was such a great guitar player and singer. Wish I knew what circumstances really contributed to his tragic death. Difficult to listen to his stuff now. Quite depressing. R.I.P. Kurt Cobain (Feb. 20, 1967 - Apr. 5, 1994).

BTW, I prefer Pearl Jam and Nirvana to Soundgarden.

Hey, that's why there's chocolate n vanilla right.  :thumbsup:

Is the other cover Trent's "Dirt" awesome cover

Happy 49th anniversary to Zep's first jaw dropping album. Nothing like it before and much like Sabbath, drove a dagger straight through the heart of the hippy-era "peace and love" music (not that there's anything wrong with that). Mmmm, sounds so good.

January 9th was Mr. Page's birthday too but I missed it. Here's to him and his. Cheers!

Love the blistering guitar solo in "You Shook Me"

Led Zeppelin ~ "You Shook Me"

Killer base line and groove...

Led Zeppelin ~ "How Many More Times"

Happy 49th anniversary to Zep's first jaw dropping album. Nothing like it before and much like Sabbath, drove a dagger straight through the heart of the hippy-era "peace and love" music (not that there's anything wrong with that). Mmmm, sounds so good.

January 9th was Mr. Page's birthday too but I missed it. Here's to him and his. Cheers!

Love the blistering guitar solo in "You Shook Me"

Led Zeppelin ~ "You Shook Me"

Killer base line and groove...

Led Zeppelin ~ "How Many More Times"

Jimmy Page - one of the greatest guitar players of all time :thumbsup: 

"You Shook Me" is a very good cover of Muddy Waters blues classic. BTW, M.W. liked it a lot. The first Zep’s song to use a call-and-response blues style. Page used his “backward echo" technique on this song towards the end, along with Plant’s screaming vocals. Plant is a good screamer, one must admit...

"How many more times" is also influenced by some old blues songs. Jimmy Page used a violin bow to play guitar on this one and "Dazed and Confused".

Lots of great tracks there. Difficult to choose. My own fav song from this record is probably "Babe I’m Gonna Leave You". This is a cover of the song by Joan Baez. Like ballads, can’t help it. Great accoustic guitar by Jimmy Page (he used Gibson J-200). Awesome vocals by Robert Plant. "Communication Breakdown" is also one of my favs, great down stroke riff, a punk rock song ahead of the time.

Got some sad news in case anyone didn’t know. I didn’t. Learnt from a BB who doesn”t post here. I guess there should be another thread, like: "Deaths of Rockers". For ppl who aren’t sufficiently depressed.

The last remaining member of Motörhead’s classic lineup, guitarist "Fast" Eddie Clarke, died at the age of 67. On Jan. 10th. Of pneumonia. Here’s the article from the "RollingStone".

R.I.P. Eddie Clarke (5 Oct. 1950 - 10 Jan. 2018). Now you’ll be rocking with Lemmy and Phil "Philthy Animal" Taylor... Somewhere...

Nirvana was my favorite of the three, but it was hard to listen to after Kurt died.

Nirvana was my favorite of the three, but it was hard to listen to after Kurt died.

Yeah, Kurt was such a great guitar player. I just wish I knew if Courtney had sth to do with his suicide. This woman is insane, IMO. And he desperately needed to be loved. From what I remember. Being given amphetamine salts as a kid for ADHD isn’t a factor predicting a bright future. Not to mention how his early life looked like. Being a child of divorced parents, who both didn’t want him to live with them. And kicked him out of their houses. He was actively suicidal by thirteen. I remember how he talked about Courtney. It was strange. As though he saw someone he wanted to see. Not someone real. The fact is, he hated himself and used drugs to escape it. Maybe love too. Love is a drug, after all. Sometimes good. Sometimes lethal. A tragic life. It’s heartbreaking to think about it.

Yeah, Kurt was such a great guitar player. I just wish I knew if Courtney had sth to do with his suicide. This woman is insane, IMO. And he desperately needed to be loved. From what I remember. Being given amphetamine salts as a kid for ADHD isn’t a factor predicting a bright future. Not to mention how his early life looked like. Being a child of divorced parents, who both didn’t want him to live with them. And kicked him out of their houses. He was actively suicidal by thirteen. I remember how he talked about Courtney. It was strange. As though he saw someone he wanted to see. Not someone real. The fact is, he hated himself and used drugs to escape it. Maybe love too. Love is a drug, after all. Sometimes good. Sometimes lethal. A tragic life. It’s heartbreaking to think about it.

Yes. His death hit me hard that year. I was very depressed, my stomach was an absolute mess and was taking antacids and pepto-bismol. Had quite a few sleepless nights because of the stress. I used to listen to In Utero quite a bit during 1993-94. My life drastically improved in 1995. But late 1994 was bad, and I was hoping that would be the worst of the depressions I'd ever have. I was wrong....

Was watching a documentary about Kurt. Now switched to the one about Courtney. It seems to me like he was just depressed and withdrawn. The drugs did him in. Courtney looks more like a Bipolar Disorder. Don’t know, should go to sleep. A good pdoc would have it all figured out without much difficulty. We can only make conjectures. Ad infinitum. This woman reminds me of Nancy Spungen. Though I think Nancy was diagnosed with schizophrenia at a young age. That makes sense. Ppl with BP can be very productive when they’re in a manic state. Am trying to play a detective while I should sleep. We will never know. I think I’ll give it a break and continue watching tomorrow. Or not. Courtney makes me nauseous. Can’t help it.

P.S. Maybe they were both BP. Courtney mostly manic and Kurt depressive. If psych meds make it difficult to diagnose an individual, drugs make it twice or more as tough. Just as they diagnose drug addicts as schizophrenics. I suppose the disease is most visible before the active use of a mind-altering substance starts. But I remember interviews with Kurt. He was quite calm and resigned. His thinking was logical. Didn’t seem psychotic. This woman gives the impression of being in a constant manic state. Don’t really know. Maybe it’s better to stop thinking about it at all. There are many more constructive issues to contemplate. The past is gone. There is the present and the future to think of.

While I really liked Kurt, he really did suffer from depression and some sort of stomach issue I read. I seen an in dept interview with him here in Toronto not long before his death. He really seemed to be a decent guy. At least i was left with this impression after the interview.

Another honourable mention and one really miss as well is Layne Staley........his voice was just an amazing fit for that style of dark music. Haunting classic along with Jerry. 'Nutshell' is one that rips into me. My apologies if this has already been mentioned in this thread. 

While I really liked Kurt, he really did suffer from depression and some sort of stomach issue I read. I seen an in dept interview with him here in Toronto not long before his death. He really seemed to be a decent guy. At least i was left with this impression after the interview.

Another honourable mention and one really miss as well is Layne Staley........his voice was just an amazing fit for that style of dark music. Haunting classic along with Jerry. 'Nutshell' is one that rips into me. My apologies if this has already been mentioned in this thread.

Yes, "Man in the Box" is where his voice really shined, too. He seemed like a great guy. I remember he plunged into total despair when his girlfriend died (don't remember if it was an OD or some illness). He never, ever recovered after that. I recall him say in an interview that he used drugs to numb the pain. He wasn't glorifying drug use. They were kind of a defensive shield for him. Quite different from the usual mainstream rhetoric. It sounds like he sort of "had it under control" until his gf died. After that, it got really bad. But the other guys from Alice in Chains were all into heroin, so I imagine it is hard to get off of it, while being surrounded by people who partake into the same thing. Imagine living in a household of 4 where everyone's go-to stress relief is valium. Goodness gracious, the problems.....

To me, Kurt really seemed like a person who wanted to "belong" to someone. He never had a real family. Both his parents remarried and kind of rejected him. I think I saw in the documentary he didn’t have many friends at school. All he had was his guitar and music. Didn’t know about the gf who ODed.

Then his judgement was so impaired cause of drugs he chose the worst possible person: Courtney. Or maybe she chose him. She seems like an alpha female in every respect. I guess he was sick and tired of all this fame and hysteria that surrounded him and the band. His drug use and depression escalated.

What also puzzles me about Courtney is that she let her cat and dog die. That seems particularly cruel. Frances Bean got a restraining order at 17 against Courtney on the basis of these events. She’s been estranged from her mother for several years. Living quietly with her bf. Maybe she’s got more of her father’s genes.

Layne Staley is just another story that’s been haunting me for years. "Would?" is a masterpiece.

I remember Layne’s gf died of heroin OD. Oh my, too much of that dark stuff...

I watched the documentary about Layne, and I think you're right. I think his gf died from a heroin overdose. I think she was a visual artist or painter or something like that. But Mike and Sean were all doing heroin, as well. Mike died, which inspired Sean to get clean. I don't know about Jerry Cantrell. I think he was into it, too, but I think he had not really sunk into it. He's always seemed like a very grounded person. I recall reading over the years that Layne and Jerry used to clash over the direction the band should go in until Layne gave up on performing around 1995-1996. I remember, around 1999, I was listening to a local radio station on my lunch break, and everyone kept wondering where Layne was, because he was practically a recluse at that point. Hardly anyone saw him. I think he passed 3 years later.