Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

Hi

I finished my K taper I’m December 2015. I currently am at 16 mg of Valium. For the past several months I have been cutting.25 mg every 10 days. I got hit with very bad withdrawals and had to updose to my 16 mg. My signature says what other meds I am on. Thanks

I don’t have much experience with Valium but I can tell you I reached zero with only minor withdrawal issueson for my benzo drug by first getting very stable and then reducing the same tiny little bit each and every day until I got to zero. I did that by crushing my pills and mixing it in with a special dry filler and then weighing out the small dilution every day into gel capsules. It kept me stable the whole time because I went so slow and had the same small drop every day. It only got a little difficult during the last week

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [bu...]

• [Ul...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I am gathering my courage to begin tapering off of 10mg of Valium that I have been taking for a couple of years. I take 37.5 mg of Mirtazapine as well. I depend on the Mirtazapine for sleep so I am holding off tapering that drug until I am free of the Valium. My psychiatrist is willing to proscribe Valium to me in liquid form. The method he recommends is to start with 240ml of liquid Valium. I ml of liquid is supposed to be equal to 1mg of Valium. He suggested I use a method where I take my 10ml of liquid Valium from the bottle the first day and then replace that 10ml of Valium with water. The second day I would take 10ml again and replace that with 10ml of water and so on. Unfortunately I am unable to do the math on this methodology since my brain is not functioning very well so I am not sure how steep of a taper I would be on. Has anyone ever tried this method? Can anyone give me a clue as to how fast this taper would go? Perhaps he would give me a larger amount of liquid Valium if I need to slow this process down. Any insights would surely be appreciated.

1)  I discontinued the mirtazipine before I started my taper.  You do NOT 37.5mg for sleep.  I continued to take small doses 3.75-7.5mg) for sleep, as needed.  Lower doses are much more sedating than larger (therapeutic) doses.

2) I really don't understand the suggestion about how to use the  liquid, but here' what I did, and probably most folks do with Rx liquid V.  Start with 100ml/100mg of the Rx liquid and add 900 ml water.  Now you have a 10-12 day supply of dilute liquid .1mg per ml.

Write up (or do a spreadsheet) showing your planned daily doses based on your taper rate, and simply draw up and drink the scheduled dose. 

Your Rx liquid is stable, and should be stored in close glass container at room temp.

Hi

I finished my K taper I’m December 2015. I currently am at 16 mg of Valium. For the past several months I have been cutting.25 mg every 10 days. I got hit with very bad withdrawals and had to updose to my 16 mg. My signature says what other meds I am on. Thanks

I don’t have much experience with Valium but I can tell you I reached zero with only minor withdrawal issueson for my benzo drug by first getting very stable and then reducing the same tiny little bit each and every day until I got to zero. I did that by crushing my pills and mixing it in with a special dry filler and then weighing out the small dilution every day into gel capsules. It kept me stable the whole time because I went so slow and had the same small drop every day. It only got a little difficult during the last week

Thanks but very general.

Builder do you have specifics for me?

Thanks for your reply Builder and your patience. I just turned 70 years old today so along with age and the brain fog from the drugs I am a bit slow in understanding much of this. I really want to devise a micro taper plan. I was originally proscribed 60mg of mirtazapine by my psychiatrist to help me with the severe insomnia and depression I was having during the closing of my business and my retirement. I have since cut the mirtazapine to 37.5mg and I am getting about 5-6 hours of sleep per night. I would consider tapering some more but I do fear the insomnia coming back. In the past I would just cut my dose by 3.75mg at a time for say a month and then drop another 3.75 the following month. Is this a practical micro taper going forward or can you suggest a better method?  Would you suggest I taper until my sleep begins to deteriorate or would you stop at a certain level and then begin my Valium taper?

I am really trying to get a handle on this process and I know it is difficult for everyone because we are all different. I value your experience and appreciate any advice you can give me.

Most folk have little, if any, difficulty discontinuing mirtazipine.

I took 22.5-30 mg a day for over 2 years.  When I stopped, I did a 2 week taper (15mg/7days, 7.5mg/7days, then stopped)  Zero WD sxs.  And I found 3.75-7.5 mg mirt a powerful sleep aid.  Above 15mg, mirt has a stimulant effect that offset the sedative effect, so small doses are very effective for sleep.

BTW, I'm 76,  was 74 when I stopped mirt, started my V taper.

Wow! That is such great news for me Builder. I am going to start dropping my dose of mirtazapine tonight then work on the valium down the road. Thanks so much for encouraging me and helping me find my way. You have giving me the best Birthday present ever, Hope!

Wow! That is such great news for me Builder. I am going to start dropping my dose of mirtazapine tonight then work on the valium down the road. Thanks so much for encouraging me and helping me find my way. You have giving me the best Birthday present ever, Hope!

Worked for me!  8)

Hmm ... I happened to see this about the remeron. I have been on 15 mg for about two years now to help with sleep and nausea from the taper. It really doesn't seem to help at all anymore with sleep and I have thought about tapering that first and then only using as needed at a lower dose for sleep, then continuing with my k taper. I am so upset the remeron doesn't help much anymore. Someone else said definitely keep the remeron through the k taper, but I imagine I will be on K for at least another 18 months so not sure if this makes sense. Thanks for sharing your experiences ... this gives me something to think about.

Try a lower dose, like 7.5mg

Remeron has 2 modes of action.  The therapeutic effect (AD/anxiolytic) kicks in at 15mg and higher.  The antihistamine (sedative) effect works at lower doses, and then is not being offset by the stimulant effect of the higher, therapeutic dose.

NJStrength- I did that with Pristiq.  I was going to just wait until my klonopin taper was over, but I knew it was going to last so long, and I really felt like Pristiq was adding to my headaches.  I held my klonopin and tapered Pristiq, and I'm really glad I did, actually.  I can see now, that the ad were not really helping me but just giving me fake good feelings that were actually holding me back. 

Hi

Bob

I am interested in how you did this. What is the purpose of the filler? Were you able to weight that small of an amount .001mg a day on a Gemini scale?

Thank you

Hi

Bob

I am interested in how you did this. What is the purpose of the filler? Were you able to weight that small of an amount .001mg a day on a Gemini scale?

Thank you

You don’t see a change of 0.001 mg on the Gemini scale of Klonopin but rather you’re seeing a change on your scale of total mixture weight which equals a 0.001 mg reduction of Klonopin. It’s kind of complicated so I wrote it all out but I’m nowhere near my computer right now. Send me a  private message to remind me and I will find it in my computer and send it to you in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Back on here. Re doing the last 4mg Valium taper with vodka micro taper.

Is L-tryptophan and melatonin gabaeric? With Lyme I've been on a lot of supps, they do help. I want to sleep but don't want to

interfere with withdrawal.

Thanks

infoshar

No offense Bob, but I think liquid titration is so much easier to figure out than weighing doses.  Maybe that's just me though.   

Just an update for me here:  I am currently microtapering, cutting .001mg a day.  I've got my solution set up so 1mg = .001mg and I had 37 ml last night.  It's not been uneventful, but I'm sticking with it.  37 more days, unless I need to hold.  I am trying to not hold and just keeping going at this point. 

No offense Bob, but I think liquid titration is so much easier to figure out than weighing doses.  Maybe that's just me though.   

Just an update for me here:  I am currently microtapering, cutting .001mg a day.  I've got my solution set up so 1mg = .001mg and I had 37 ml last night.  It's not been uneventful, but I'm sticking with it.  37 more days, unless I need to hold.  I am trying to not hold and just keeping going at this point.

GreenCup,

I think you are right - liquid titration is easier in terms of math.  Perhaps the only advantage of using dry filler to dilute and measure doses into gel capsule is it gives me freedom for business travel.  I make 30 capsules and then for the next month, I didn't have to mess with the liquids which is difficult while traveling.

GC  :thumbsup:

so close! congrats on the long slow taper and for being such an inspiration.  Hoping that it continues to go well for the last 37 days-- as I'm sure it will or you will adjust...

It's exciting to think that another person who I have followed since I've been here on BB is close to stepping off.

:smitten: :smitten:

SS

Green Cup,

You’re really getting close!  Just curious how you are feeling with this reduction?  I know it sounds really small, but .001 per day is equal to over a 25% cut in 10 days.  I’ve been wondering if that will be an issue for me when I get there so very interested.

Thanks

Hi All-

Hoping someone daily dry cuts Valium here and can help me.

I am going to be crossing over to Valium and doing a daily micro taper dry cutting. I will be starting with 10mg of V a day. Do I need  to ask for my prescription to be in all 2mg pills in order to do this?

Thanks

Hi All-

Hoping someone daily dry cuts Valium here and can help me.

I am going to be crossing over to Valium and doing a daily micro taper dry cutting. I will be starting with 10mg of V a day. Do I need  to ask for my prescription to be in all 2mg pills in order to do this?

Thanks

If your going to do a dry taper, then lower dosage (less dose density) tablets are easier to work with.  Its the same concept as liquid, the more dilute your liquid, the easier it is to accurately  meter doses, and the lower the error factor.

GreenCup,

I think you are right - liquid titration is easier in terms of math.  Perhaps the only advantage of using dry filler to dilute and measure doses into gel capsule is it gives me freedom for business travel.  I make 30 capsules and then for the next month, I didn't have to mess with the liquids which is difficult while traveling.

hi Bob i was wondering could you explain why you use a filler instead of just using the powder when you crush your pills up?? I dont even use a capsule i put a pharmacy paper on the scale tare it out and then weigh the crushed powder because my teva k already has fillers in them why would i add more..

thanks in advance..i do a micro taper that i am going to start back again after being on hold it will be 3 yrs in jan.

deep

GreenCup,

hi Bob i was wondering could you explain why you use a filler instead of just using the powder when you crush your pills up?? I dont even use a capsule i put a pharmacy paper on the scale tare it out and then weigh the crushed powder because my teva k already has fillers in them why would i add more..

thanks in advance..i do a micro taper that i am going to start back again after being on hold it will be 3 yrs in jan.

deep

Good question.  I never used the filler until I got below 0.125mg of Klonopin.  At that point, and when you get really small doses, the filler makes your scale better at metering out small tapers (like tapering 0.001 mg of Klonopin per day when you are already down to 0.010 mg total).  I hope that makes sense.  If not, PM me and I will send you the steps which might make it clearer.