Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

Bob,

1. My current dosage is .22.50 mg 1x per day

2. Tablet weights are different but are .171 grams. I am currently using the Gemini 20 scale and was

going to order another scale today as I want to be fairly accurate. I do like the looks of the one you

recommended.

3. Tablet strength is .5 mg.

4. I would like to go with the 0.001 mg per day reduction for now.

If it is not too much of a problem if you could explain the math part that would be great; hopefully I can wrap my brain around it.

I would like to start at the current dose I am on as I don't want to go back up to the .25 if I don't have to. I started having more severe Sx when I dropped twice after the .22.50, waited a few days until my heart flipped into a-fib for a few seconds from the palps. I dose corrected back to the .22.50. I can take some of these symptoms (nausea, tinnitus, anxiety) but the heart arrhythmias/A-fib is just too much. I guess the 10%/14 days is too much for me. I thought I could taper faster being I wasn't on the K that long but guess not. I am feeling a bit better today so hopefully I can stabilize soon.

They are out of the cellulose powder on amazon so will look for some elsewhere.

Thank you so much Bob for helping. Don't know what we would do without people like you!

Butter

Hi Buttercup and Jlavogt,

I have never used the Gem-20.  In general, you want a scale which can show 3 digits after the decimal point (0.001) and doesn't drift between reading by any more than 0.002 grams.

Buttercup - when you write .22.50 mg, do you mean 0.225 mg?

I can share the math with you but I will need an email address to send the excel file.  I understand if you don't want to share email.  Send me a PM if you like.

Bob

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [bu...]

• [Ul...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello. Am following the information here on dry micro tapering to see if I can learn it. My attempts at LDMT have been a sad setback.

I will be tapering my last 4mg of Valiium. 2, 2mg tablets. One tablet at a time.

The crystalline powder and gel caps are new to me. I see the one youtube video link somewhere here of how she crushes and weighs out on her gem 20 scale.

With Valium, how do most do it? Are you cutting 5-10% per 14 days, so holding at the same cut amount for that period? Then at 14 days if you're good, you take another

5-10% cut and hold same rate? And so forth.

Any info or direction to forum areas for this is welcomed. And thank you for your info and input. Hoping I don't feel overwhelmed by the procedure. I need a simple method

I can handle.

Peace

Infoshare.

Hello. Am following the information here on dry micro tapering to see if I can learn it. My attempts at LDMT have been a sad setback.

I will be tapering my last 4mg of Valiium. 2, 2mg tablets. One tablet at a time.

The crystalline powder and gel caps are new to me. I see the one youtube video link somewhere here of how she crushes and weighs out on her gem 20 scale.

With Valium, how do most do it? Are you cutting 5-10% per 14 days, so holding at the same cut amount for that period? Then at 14 days if you're good, you take another

Any info or direction to forum areas for this is welcomed. And thank you for your info and input. Hoping I don't feel overwhelmed by the procedure. I need a simple method

I can handle.

Peace

Infoshare.

I think of dry cutting in two phases. 

Phase 1 is when you’re still at a relatively high dose so you can simply split your tablets and weigh them on a scale and reduce 5 or 10% every two weeks.

Phase 2 is when your dose is lower.  When I got to 0.125 mg of Klonopin I started reducing 0.001 mg each day.  To accomplish that, I found it useful to crush the tablet and mix with Microcrystalline Cellulose as described in the post above.  If you’re ready for phase 2, let me know and I’ll help you.

I am beginning a 6 month taper off of Valium. Thanks everybody for your support. I am frightened at the aspect of tapering off of the 10mg using any procedure because I have already reached tolerance on the Valium so even though it helps quell my anxiety it does not really help all that much. I am going to use a liquid Valium to taper off of the first 5mg along with a 5mg tablet. Bob7 was kind enough to do the calcs on how to do that and the time required. Six months sound like a long time but then again I am not getting by very well with my full dose of 10mg tablets as is. I may want to even slow it down further but I am going to give it a try this week. I am planning to use meditation and exercise to counter the withdrawal symptoms. If you have other suggestions I would love to hear them. I also am curious about a herb called Kratom. It attaches to your opium receptors and does provide relief from anxiety and depression and pain but apparently it is addictive and requires higher and higher dosages similar to Benzos. I have tried some and it has helped me considerably in social situations. I don't want to use it if I am just replacing Valium with another drug. I am curious if any of you have had experience with this drug...herb... and if so would you recommend a limited use of it to help me with the side effects of my taper? Thank you all for your feedback.

Go to the Quitting Kratom Reddit forum and read the horror stories of those that got hooked and how quickly too. The stuff is as addictive as benzos.

IMO, the most "efficient" way to taper is to do reductions at the same fixed rate (mgs/day) as long as you aren't experiencing major sxs.

With a daily taper, your body will give you fair warning when you need to re-evaluate your taper rate.

Over the course of my taper, I learned that as long as my taper rate was under about 6%/2 weeks, I was fine.  So I would stay at a given mgs/day schedule until my declining dose meant it was approaching 6%/2 weeks.

So glad you are here Builder. You make so much sense. You are one of the the persons who helped me understand how to make my 10:1 solution of liquid Valium about two years ago. And you helped me through a lot of rough spots! So much knowledge! And so much giving and sharing on your part! Much appreciation and gratitude to you! I’m at .35mg Valium and creeping down mighty slowly. Thanks again.

Heathcliff

I can handle.

Peace

Infoshare.

Phase 1 is when you’re still at a relatively high dose so you can simply split your tablets and weigh them on a scale and reduce 5 or 10% every two weeks.

Phase 2 is when your dose is lower.  When I got to 0.125 mg of Klonopin I started reducing 0.001 mg each day.  To accomplish that, I found it useful to crush the tablet and mix with Microcrystalline Cellulose as described in the post above.  If you’re ready for phase 2, let me know and I’ll help you.

Hi Bob.

Do I take 5-10% cut of the total or of the one pill? 2, 2mg Valium tablets. That would be hard to dry cut accurately wouldn't it?

Infoshare.

Glad to hear things are going well for you.    :thumbsup:

Hi Builder,

I started my DLMT on the 2nd Oct and have reduced my dose of V from 12mg to 11.6mg over the last 12 days. With the long half life of V when should I start to feel the reductions? I don't want to go too fast only to get hit with bad sxs in a week or so.

Hopefully next week will see me at 11.5mg all things being well.

Thanks Staz

I can handle.

Peace

Infoshare.

Hi Bob.

Do I take 5-10% cut of the total or of the one pill? 2, 2mg Valium tablets. That would be hard to dry cut accurately wouldn't it?

Infoshare.

You take it of the total.  Yes, it can be hard because you need to crumble bits of pill together to get your dose.  It helps to crush the pills into powder and then carefully weigh the powder into gel capsules you buy on Amazon.  I buy these  '00' Gel Capsules

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E40DJ82/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

When your dose gets too small to measure (the weight is so light your scale cannot get repeatable values), then I recommend you mix the crushed benzo with Microcrystalline Cellulose Power to dilute it.  I can tell you more about that when you get to those low levels.

Hi Builder,

I started my DLMT on the 2nd Oct and have reduced my dose of V from 12mg to 11.6mg over the last 12 days. With the long half life of V when should I start to feel the reductions? I don't want to go too fast only to get hit with bad sxs in a week or so.

Thanks Staz

At that taper rate (5%/12 days)  you  probably won't feel any WD effects. 

Hi Bob7

Can one measure out/weigh the pill crushed powder simply on the scale dish. What is purpose of the gel cap? To take with you...or is it helpful in

getting an even measurement?

Infoshare

Hi Bob7

Can one measure out/weigh the pill crushed powder simply on the scale dish. What is purpose of the gel cap? To take with you...or is it helpful in

getting an even measurement?

Infoshare

That is exactly right.  The gel cap are just for convenience.  I liked to make a whole months worth of gel cap.  Very useful as I travel all the time.

Hi Builder,

Thanks Staz

Thanks Builder.

At that taper rate (5%/12 days)  you  probably won't feel any WD effects.

Hello All,

I started my tapering mixing K with milk. I stayed on my dose of .25 for 5 days before starting the taper. Did ok for 4 days then symptoms appeared. Held for 3 days resumed taper. On day 16 symptoms really revved up. Went back to dose what I thought tolerable at .225 and have held there for the last 5 days. Symptoms have gradually worsened, with anxiety most of the day, some tachycardia even though I am on a BB, some tinnitus, nausea, and bad intestinal pain.

What I am wondering is, should I hold longer and see if these will level out or start tapering at a lower rate? I was tapering at 0.025/14 days. Since I had only been on .25 K for 4 months I thought this would be ok. Guess not! Also I have not felt that well on the milk titration. I am dairy sensitive but thought the low amount of milk would be ok. I cannot tolerate any alcohol even in other meds so that is not an option. I did some research on PEG, am not sure if my overly sensitive system would tolerate that either, but suppose I could try it. I really felt better on the dry pill but as it it such a low dose was worried about the accuracy of my Gemini scales. Bob7 was kind enough to e-mail me his recipe for dry tapering as I thought that might work. (Thank You Bob)

I really don't want to jump back and forth with different methods but need to find one that would suite. I guess I wouldn't know till I tried right?

Opinions please, do you think I should keep on the milk for longer to see if things would get better before trying something else? There have been days when it feels like I am not getting any meds in my system, then other days I can feel it in 30 -40 minutes. I always take it on an empty stomach first thing in the AM. I wait 2 hours before eating. Should I hold for longer to see if I will stabilize more? I I do know that I started at a too high taper rate.

My other problem is my PCP will not write me any more scripts as he is benzo ignorant and thinks I should be off this in 2 months, he will not listen. I have an appointment with a P doc tomorrow and am hoping she will be ok writing scripts for K. I am not going to mention tapering unless she balks at writing one for my anxiety, then I will show her my taper schedule and go from there. Wish me luck for tomorrow.

I am just flabbergasted that I am having these symptoms on such a low dose, having taken it for such a short time. I have accepted it though as I have read through hundreds of posts on this amazing site and know that time and strength of med sometimes does not matter. I just know I need to taper slowwwwly, if I can get the meds.

Bob7, I only have an iPad, no PC so I don't have excel. I can open the attachment you sent but cannot even print it out to study it.  I was hoping I could figure it out. If I do decide to go that route would you help me? I know you said you would already and I thank you for that.

I would be grateful for any and all opinions and some cyber hugs. YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING.

Butter

Hello All,

I started my tapering mixing K with milk. I stayed on my dose of .25 for 5 days before starting the taper. Did ok for 4 days then symptoms appeared. Held for 3 days resumed taper. On day 16 symptoms really revved up. Went back to dose what I thought tolerable at .225 and have held there for the last 5 days. Symptoms have gradually worsened, with anxiety most of the day, some tachycardia even though I am on a BB, some tinnitus, nausea, and bad intestinal pain.

What I am wondering is, should I hold longer and see if these will level out or start tapering at a lower rate? I was tapering at 0.025/14 days. Since I had only been on .25 K for 4 months I thought this would be ok. Guess not! Also I have not felt that well on the milk titration. I am dairy sensitive but thought the low amount of milk would be ok. I cannot tolerate any alcohol even in other meds so that is not an option. I did some research on PEG, am not sure if my overly sensitive system would tolerate that either, but suppose I could try it. I really felt better on the dry pill but as it it such a low dose was worried about the accuracy of my Gemini scales. Bob7 was kind enough to e-mail me his recipe for dry tapering as I thought that might work. (Thank You Bob)

I really don't want to jump back and forth with different methods but need to find one that would suite. I guess I wouldn't know till I tried right?

Opinions please, do you think I should keep on the milk for longer to see if things would get better before trying something else? There have been days when it feels like I am not getting any meds in my system, then other days I can feel it in 30 -40 minutes. I always take it on an empty stomach first thing in the AM. I wait 2 hours before eating. Should I hold for longer to see if I will stabilize more? I I do know that I started at a too high taper rate.

My other problem is my PCP will not write me any more scripts as he is benzo ignorant and thinks I should be off this in 2 months, he will not listen. I have an appointment with a P doc tomorrow and am hoping she will be ok writing scripts for K. I am not going to mention tapering unless she balks at writing one for my anxiety, then I will show her my taper schedule and go from there. Wish me luck for tomorrow.

I am just flabbergasted that I am having these symptoms on such a low dose, having taken it for such a short time. I have accepted it though as I have read through hundreds of posts on this amazing site and know that time and strength of med sometimes does not matter. I just know I need to taper slowwwwly, if I can get the meds.

Bob7, I only have an iPad, no PC so I don't have excel. I can open the attachment you sent but cannot even print it out to study it.  I was hoping I could figure it out. If I do decide to go that route would you help me? I know you said you would already and I thank you for that.

I would be grateful for any and all opinions and some cyber hugs. YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING.

Butter

Hi Butter,

Yes, I will help you - don't worry about that.  Just let me know when you are ready.

I too am amazed you got addicted after just 4 months.  That is a shame.  But everyone is different.

I wonder sometimes about milk.  I understand the milk fat helps with the suspending the drug.  From my readings about milk fat, up to 20% can stick to the walls of a container in particular if you use a plastic cup instead of glass.  Question.  After you drink your dose, do you add warm water to the cup and stir and then drink the water so you make sure to get even drop of your dose?

Hi Bob,

I put a .5 mg K pill in a small glass container, crush it, then add 50 ml of almost room temp milk, let it sit for a while then swish gently back and forth for several minutes, then refrigerate. Next day, I swish again then draw up the .22 in a 10 ml syringe and the .05 in a 1 ml syringe and squirt both in my mouth, I then draw up water(not hot) in the syringes 3 times each and squirt in mouth. The rest of the milk solution is for the next days dose.

Yes, I am also wondering about the milk even though others on here say it really does dissolve the benzo, or else it sticks to the fat and the fat is dispersed throughout the mixture.

I spoke with a P doc online about a month and a half ago and he said for a lot of people that are especially sensitive they can become dependent in as little as 2 weeks and absolutely at 4 weeks.

Wish I would have known, but can't go back, have to move forward no matter.

I had never taken any other psyche drug ever in my life before, what an eye opening experience. Docs have tried to put me on different SSRI's and mood stabilizers but I refused to take them. Yes I had some pretty bad anxiety the last 2 years due to death of my mom ( dementia), I was taking care of her at my home. Then last year I came down with C-diff that I could not get rid of. I thought then that I would surely die, had it for 6 months before fecal transplant. I was put on K during that time as I was a mess begging God to take me home.

I then ended up with severe post infectious IBS. This benzo ordeal has really messed my intestines up now. I also have had heart arrhythmias since I was young so those have really kicked up. Sorry for the long post, just would like this taper to be as smooth as possible if that is possible, to try an avoid as many xs as I can.

Well Butter, you certainly seem to be very sensitive to Klonopin.

Sorry to hear your troubles with the GI track but I am happy to hear you trust God in your life.

Since you are so sensitive to Klonopin, then perhaps your troubles are due to poor distribution of the Klonopin using the milk method.  I am a Medical Electrical Engineer and my company is currently developing a new way to feed NICU babies breast milk.  I have learned the fats in the breast milk stick to the walls of the plastic syringe such that the babies are losing 20% of the milk fat. 

Let us apply this to your situation. 

If the benzo does stick to the milk fat and 20% of the milk fat stick to the walls of your container, then your syringes are not getting a uniform dose.  Perhaps that is why people say to dissolve in alcohol?

Just a thought.

You could be right about that. I re-read my post and I put a 10 ml syringe. It is not, it is a 30 ml syringe. I believe the alcohol is the property way to go but I cannot tolerate it at all. I used to make my own herbal tinctures at home for my family and used everclear as the solvent. Of course that was many years ago and I could not tolerate even 10 drops of the stuff.

That is wonderful about the NICU babies. I worked for many years at Child Protective Services and was at the NICU in Tucson many times with those "tiny littles".

I am seriously thinking the dry taper is the way to go. I have got to order the different scales ast the one I have drifts a lot. I also need the M cellulose and capsules.

I wonder if switching back to dry will cause worsening sx's? Also did you notice a difference putting it in capsules v just swallowing the tablet? Probably not.

I could not figure out how much filler to put in the capsules. Do you mix the filler with the amount of K for each single capsule at a time? Do you think I could taper my amount by itself (.225) without adding the filler yet until I get to .112 or would it be better to add the filler now?

I guess I better wait and see if I can get more medicine first.

Thank You So Much,

Butter

You could be right about that. I re-read my post and I put a 10 ml syringe. It is not, it is a 30 ml syringe. I believe the alcohol is the property way to go but I cannot tolerate it at all. I used to make my own herbal tinctures at home for my family and used everclear as the solvent. Of course that was many years ago and I could not tolerate even 10 drops of the stuff.

That is wonderful about the NICU babies. I worked for many years at Child Protective Services and was at the NICU in Tucson many times with those "tiny littles".

I am seriously thinking the dry taper is the way to go. I have got to order the different scales ast the one I have drifts a lot. I also need the M cellulose and capsules.

I wonder if switching back to dry will cause worsening sx's? Also did you notice a difference putting it in capsules v just swallowing the tablet? Probably not.

I could not figure out how much filler to put in the capsules. Do you mix the filler with the amount of K for each single capsule at a time? Do you think I could taper my amount by itself (.225) without adding the filler yet until I get to .112 or would it be better to add the filler now?

Thank You So Much,

Butter

Hi Butter,

I never notices any difference between using capsule or without capsules.

I did dry cutting (without mixing with the powder) until I got down to 0.125 mg which is 1/4 of one of my tablets.  Then I used the microcrystalline cellulose powder to dilute as we have discussed.

Once you start using the powder, you will make 4 weeks worth of gel capsules at a time.  It takes about 2 hours.  You will crush about 10 of your klonopin tablets into a fine powder and mix in the filler (I will do the math for you).  Then you weigh the mixture into the gel capsules, each capsule has less mixture to meet your taper rate (e.g. 0.001 mg less per capsule).  Since you are making 28 capsules at one time, you need to number them so you take them in the right order.  I use a pill sorter for that.  Peaceflower is currently doing this method in case you want to PM her to ask for another person's opinion before you commit.

Thank You So Much,

Butter

Hi Butter,

I did dry cutting (without mixing with the powder) until I got down to 0.125 mg which is 1/4 of one of my tablets.  Then I used the microcrystalline cellulose powder to dilute as we have discussed.

Once you start using the powder, you will make 4 weeks worth of gel capsules at a time.  It takes about 2 hours.  You will crush about 10 of your klonopin tablets into a fine powder and mix in the filler (I will do the math for you).  Then you weigh the mixture into the gel capsules, each capsule has less mixture to meet your taper rate (e.g. 0.001 mg less per capsule).  Since you are making 28 capsules at one time, you need to number them so you take them in the right order.  I use a pill sorter for that.  Peaceflower is currently doing this method in case you want to PM her to ask for another person's opinion before you commit.

Bob, I always read your posts and I just wanted to say, you are such a nice person and a wonderful mentor.  Your knowledge and patience mean the world to the people you are helping.  Thank you so much for being with bb.  Mary 💜☮️

Thank You So Much,

Butter

Hi Butter,

Bob, I always read your posts and I just wanted to say, you are such a nice person and a wonderful mentor.  Your knowledge and patience mean the world to the people you are helping.  Thank you so much for being with bb.  Mary 💜☮️

Mary - you just made my day.  I type this with a smile on my face.  That is significant because, as we all know, smiling doesn't come as often in this benzo world we share.

Thanks again.

Thank You So Much,

Butter

Hey Butter,

A few of the others I am helping said the Microcrystalline Cellulose from Amazon is out of stock.

So I found a replacement. I am going to order it to check it out.  Here is the link:

https://smile.amazon.com/Microcrystalline-Cellulose-Ultra-Pure-Type/dp/B00JKU6IL6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1539726692&sr=8-3&keywords=microcrystalline+cellulose

Bob

I ordered the scale you suggested and it works so much better. Thank you! I agree with Mary the support you give everyone so generously is amazing and we are forever grateful for you! :smitten:

Bob

I ordered the scale you suggested and it works so much better. Thank you! I agree with Mary the support you give everyone so generously is amazing and we are forever grateful for you! :smitten:

:thumbsup::smitten::D.    Mary

Bob

I’m so happy to hear that as well as all the nice words from you and Mary.  We will all get through this together. In my belief system I add the words in Jesus name.