Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

You could be right about that. I re-read my post and I put a 10 ml syringe. It is not, it is a 30 ml syringe. I believe the alcohol is the property way to go but I cannot tolerate it at all. I used to make my own herbal tinctures at home for my family and used everclear as the solvent. Of course that was many years ago and I could not tolerate even 10 drops of the stuff.

That is wonderful about the NICU babies. I worked for many years at Child Protective Services and was at the NICU in Tucson many times with those "tiny littles".

I am seriously thinking the dry taper is the way to go. I have got to order the different scales ast the one I have drifts a lot. I also need the M cellulose and capsules.

I wonder if switching back to dry will cause worsening sx's? Also did you notice a difference putting it in capsules v just swallowing the tablet? Probably not.

I could not figure out how much filler to put in the capsules. Do you mix the filler with the amount of K for each single capsule at a time? Do you think I could taper my amount by itself (.225) without adding the filler yet until I get to .112 or would it be better to add the filler now?

I guess I better wait and see if I can get more medicine first.

Thank You So Much,

Butter

Hi Butter,

I never notices any difference between using capsule or without capsules.

I did dry cutting (without mixing with the powder) until I got down to 0.125 mg which is 1/4 of one of my tablets.  Then I used the microcrystalline cellulose powder to dilute as we have discussed.

Once you start using the powder, you will make 4 weeks worth of gel capsules at a time.  It takes about 2 hours.  You will crush about 10 of your klonopin tablets into a fine powder and mix in the filler (I will do the math for you).  Then you weigh the mixture into the gel capsules, each capsule has less mixture to meet your taper rate (e.g. 0.001 mg less per capsule).  Since you are making 28 capsules at one time, you need to number them so you take them in the right order.  I use a pill sorter for that.  Peaceflower is currently doing this method in case you want to PM her to ask for another person's opinion before you commit.

Hi Bob and all.

If doing dry cut micro taper and your prep your capsules ahead. Then even though you're taking .001mg cut per day I believe, you wouldn't be able to hold would you?

Bob, when you weren't using capsules, did you make a days dose only? Or how did you do that?

Hoping I get thru this too with you all. I've had real set back trying liquid methods and still trying to settle. May be in interdose w/d anyway. Lyme disease. It's a lot to handle.

Thanks for response as I gather info and learn.

Tom

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [bu...]

• [Ul...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob

I ordered the scale you suggested and it works so much better. Thank you! I agree with Mary the support you give everyone so generously is amazing and we are forever grateful for you! :smitten:

I’m so happy to hear that as well as all the nice words from you and Mary.  We will all get through this together. In my belief system I add the words in Jesus name.

Amen!

Could someone give me some advice.

I was on 0.75 of ativan was cutting the tablet in three equal parts and taking it at 10 am 6 pm and 2 am,

I have cut down to half of 0.5 mg of ativan at 6pm and the other half i cut again into two pieces i takae one at 10 am and one at 2am  for a total days worth of 0.5 mg. a day.

which do I cut now and how long do i wait. anxiety and sleep are my biggest problems.

please advice

You could be right about that. I re-read my post and I put a 10 ml syringe. It is not, it is a 30 ml syringe. I believe the alcohol is the property way to go but I cannot tolerate it at all. I used to make my own herbal tinctures at home for my family and used everclear as the solvent. Of course that was many years ago and I could not tolerate even 10 drops of the stuff.

That is wonderful about the NICU babies. I worked for many years at Child Protective Services and was at the NICU in Tucson many times with those "tiny littles".

I am seriously thinking the dry taper is the way to go. I have got to order the different scales ast the one I have drifts a lot. I also need the M cellulose and capsules.

I wonder if switching back to dry will cause worsening sx's? Also did you notice a difference putting it in capsules v just swallowing the tablet? Probably not.

I could not figure out how much filler to put in the capsules. Do you mix the filler with the amount of K for each single capsule at a time? Do you think I could taper my amount by itself (.225) without adding the filler yet until I get to .112 or would it be better to add the filler now?

Thank You So Much,

Butter

Hi Butter,

I did dry cutting (without mixing with the powder) until I got down to 0.125 mg which is 1/4 of one of my tablets.  Then I used the microcrystalline cellulose powder to dilute as we have discussed.

Once you start using the powder, you will make 4 weeks worth of gel capsules at a time.  It takes about 2 hours.  You will crush about 10 of your klonopin tablets into a fine powder and mix in the filler (I will do the math for you).  Then you weigh the mixture into the gel capsules, each capsule has less mixture to meet your taper rate (e.g. 0.001 mg less per capsule).  Since you are making 28 capsules at one time, you need to number them so you take them in the right order.  I use a pill sorter for that.  Peaceflower is currently doing this method in case you want to PM her to ask for another person's opinion before you commit.

Hi Bob and all.

If doing dry cut micro taper and your prep your capsules ahead. Then even though you're taking .001mg cut per day I believe, you wouldn't be able to hold would you?

Bob, when you weren't using capsules, did you make a days dose only? Or how did you do that?

Hoping I get thru this too with you all. I've had real set back trying liquid methods and still trying to settle. May be in interdose w/d anyway. Lyme disease. It's a lot to handle.

Tom

Tom,

You are right, if you’re already made up your capsules and each one is .001 mg per day, the only way to hold is to make some special capsules which is totally doable.

However, I found with such a low taper rate I was able to maintain the taper even if withdrawal symptoms flared up a little bit because they were always so minor. If they did flareup too much then I took Busbar for a week or two which allowed me to maintain my taper by keeping the withdrawl symptoms tolerable. So once I started the .001 mg per day taper I never held again.

As for your question about what I did when I wasn’t using the capsules, I would cut with a razor blade and weight each day to get my pill size and I didn’t worry too much about accuracy back then because I didn’t know how important it was. Once I got down to .125 mg it became hard to get repeatable results on the scale and that’s when I started using the microcrystalline cellulose to dilute into a powder.

I hope this helps  if you need help making dry powder mixture and gel capsules let me know.

Bob

Could someone give me some advice.

I was on 0.75 of ativan was cutting the tablet in three equal parts and taking it at 10 am 6 pm and 2 am,

I have cut down to half of 0.5 mg of ativan at 6pm and the other half i cut again into two pieces i takae one at 10 am and one at 2am  for a total days worth of 0.5 mg. a day.

which do I cut now and how long do i wait. anxiety and sleep are my biggest problems.

please advice

If sleep and anxiety are your biggest problems I would try to take much of my daily dose as close to bed as possible. For me, while tapering, taking my drug close to bed helped me sleep greatly.  In fact I took most of my dose just before bed and the rest when I woke up in the middle the night. As long as I had a good night sleep I felt I could handle the anxiety during the day. In addition to help me deal with anxiety, I would take decaffeinated black tea or decaffeinated green tea or just L’Theanine in pill form.

Of course everyone is different. When my daytime anxiety got so bad I got chest pains the doctor gave me Buspar to take in mornings for a couple weeks which straightened me out greatly. It’s not a cure it just makes it tolerable.

Tom,

You are right, if you’re already made up your capsules and each one is .001 mg per day, the only way to hold is to make some special capsules which is totally doable.

However, I found with such a low taper rate I was able to maintain the taper even if withdrawal symptoms flared up a little bit because they were always so minor. If they did flareup too much then I took Busbar for a week or two which allowed me to maintain my taper by keeping the withdrawl symptoms tolerable. So once I started the .001 mg per day taper I never held again.

As for your question about what I did when I wasn’t using the capsules, I would cut with a razor blade and weight each day to get my pill size and I didn’t worry too much about accuracy back then because I didn’t know how important it was. Once I got down to .125 mg it became hard to get repeatable results on the scale and that’s when I started using the microcrystalline cellulose to dilute into a powder.

I hope this helps  if you need help making dry powder mixture and gel capsules let me know.

Bob

Ty Bob.  When you dry cut with the blade did you have any issues or concerns about the medicinal part of the tablet being unevenly distribited by the manufacturer as others have warned about?

Tom

Tom,

Bob

Ty Bob.  When you dry cut with the blade did you have any issues or concerns about the medicinal part of the tablet being unevenly distribited by the manufacturer as others have warned about?

Tom

I have always assumed it was a uniform distribution as I can’t imagine the manufacturing practice would yield anything else.  Doctors often tell us to split our tablets and I don’t think they would do this if such a problem were known to exist.  I certainly didn’t notice any kind of issue that would lead me to such a conclusion but there are a lot of opinions out there.

Hi Everybody, I am now tapering 10mg or Valium using liquid Valium to taper the first 5mg along with a 5mg tablet. I am only on day 7 of the taper and already I am feeling an increase in anxiety. According to the numbers provided by Bob7 I have only reduced my dose by way less than a milligram. The entire taper should take around 6 months for all 10mg. I am compensating with 2 oz of alcohol a day. I know that is not the proper way to taper but it does keep me sane. I am also experimenting with an herb called Kratom. It is really helpful with my anxiety and has other health benefits as well. It can become addictive so I use it only several days per week. https://www.americankratom.org/index.php

I have a couple of questions. The first is should I be feeling withdrawal symptoms after just a week of micro tapering? The second is, has anyone used Kratom as an aid in their tapering process? The plant is legal in most states but attempts to make it illegal are in the works. It is already illegal in several states. Kratom does not make you high. I just feel normal for a change. I welcome all helpful responses. Is there anything I can be doing to reduce the pain of withdrawl other than what I am doing?

Hi Everybody, I am now tapering 10mg or Valium using liquid Valium to taper the first 5mg along with a 5mg tablet. I am only on day 7 of the taper and already I am feeling an increase in anxiety. According to the numbers provided by Bob7 I have only reduced my dose by way less than a milligram. The entire taper should take around 6 months for all 10mg. I am compensating with 2 oz of alcohol a day. I know that is not the proper way to taper but it does keep me sane. I am also experimenting with an herb called Kratom. It is really helpful with my anxiety and has other health benefits as well. It can become addictive so I use it only several days per week. https://www.americankratom.org/index.php

I have a couple of questions. The first is should I be feeling withdrawal symptoms after just a week of micro tapering? The second is, has anyone used Kratom as an aid in their tapering process? The plant is legal in most states but attempts to make it illegal are in the works. It is already illegal in several states. Kratom does not make you high. I just feel normal for a change. I welcome all helpful responses. Is there anything I can be doing to reduce the pain of withdrawl other than what I am doing?

When I was tapering, I do recall a 3 to 7 days delay before I felt the withdrawal.  Once that handles, in general, you will be in a state of withdrawal until you hit zero (and even a few months after hitting zero). 

The trick is to balance the speed of your taper with how much withdrawal symptoms you can handle.  Remember, if you taper too slow, it will take you forever to get off the stuff.  If you taper too fast, you withdrawal will send you to the ER.  So find your balance. 

Also, there are ways to make your withdrawal more tolerable so you can maintain your taper.  If anxiety is your symptom, drink decaffeinated green or decaffeinated black tea or just take L'Theanine capsules.  GET PLENTY OF SLEEP.  I often noticed, if I could get enough rest, I could handle the daytime withdrawal.  If you have trouble sleeping, take a little aspirin, some Chamomile tea or extract and definitely some magnesium glycinate and then read or listen to guided meditations until you sleep.  I had to do that 3 or 4 times a night but I got enough rest.  And exercise.  Start slow and build up how much you can do, keeping track of your exercise improvement is a way to build confidence and helps you fight the benzo monster.

Finally, when things get real bad, take some Buspar in the mornings for a couple of weeks.  It is not a cure but it will make the withdrawal symptoms more tolerable so you can continue your taper.

Keep pressing for the goal.

Spinner

I read somewhere on here to find a rate in the beginning that you can handle the symptoms and function for two weeks. If it’s not  tolerable for two weeks go down slowly. Honestly I could never do a six month taper off 10mg but I know everyone is different. Best to have a taper based on tolerable symptoms than a set timeline.

Thanks for your comments. I thought a taper of 6 months for 10mg of Valium was a micro taper. Perhaps I am going too fast. I also find that I need my Valium soon after waking in the morning which can be 3:00am after going to bed at 10:00pm. I talked to a friend tonight at dinner and she said she could not function without 8 hours of sleep. She takes her Valium before bed. I have been getting by for 3 years on 3-5 hours of sleep per night. I am wondering how I could take my Valium at night and still get though the day? Am I trying to taper too fast? Perhaps if I did get 8 hours of sleep I would not need as much Valium during the day. I am not sure how to approach it. I could hold my taper at say 7.5mg, taking 2.5mg at bedtime and 5mg during the day and see if my sleep improved. If it did that might give my body the rest it needs to continue the taper. Not sure what to do. I would sure appreciate your input.

Thanks for your comments. I thought a taper of 6 months for 10mg of Valium was a micro taper. Perhaps I am going too fast. I also find that I need my Valium soon after waking in the morning which can be 3:00am after going to bed at 10:00pm. I talked to a friend tonight at dinner and she said she could not function without 8 hours of sleep. She takes her Valium before bed. I have been getting by for 3 years on 3-5 hours of sleep per night. I am wondering how I could take my Valium at night and still get though the day? Am I trying to taper too fast? Perhaps if I did get 8 hours of sleep I would not need as much Valium during the day. I am not sure how to approach it. I could hold my taper at say 7.5mg, taking 2.5mg at bedtime and 5mg during the day and see if my sleep improved. If it did that might give my body the rest it needs to continue the taper. Not sure what to do. I would sure appreciate your input.

So you’re at 7.5 mg now. Question - how long did it take to get from 10 mg down to 7.5 mg?

I am not really at 7.5mg. I am really at about 9.5mg. Sorry about that I was just postulating and did not actually think out exactly where I am at. I am taking a 5 mg tablet at about 8 am and around 4.5 mg liquid at around 9:30 am. This 4.5mg is created by removing 5mg from the liquid Valium every morning and replacing it in the bottle with 5mg of water. It is hard to calculate the liquid exactly. Bob7 did the calcs for me but I told him I was starting with a 250ml bottle of liquid when in actuality it turned out to be a 240ml. Using Bob's calculations I should be in the 4.5mg of liquid range after my first week for a total of 9.5mg. That is about a 5% cut in a week if my math is correct. That may be too fast for me. I could hold the liquid strength at this level and cut my 5mg tablet in half for consumption when I awake at 3 in the morning. Sorry to be so vague on this but the process has got me stumped and anxious.

I am not really at 7.5mg. I am really at about 9.5mg. Sorry about that I was just postulating and did not actually think out exactly where I am at. I am taking a 5 mg tablet at about 8 am and around 4.5 mg liquid at around 9:30 am. This 4.5mg is created by removing 5mg from the liquid Valium every morning and replacing it in the bottle with 5mg of water. It is hard to calculate the liquid exactly. Bob7 did the calcs for me but I told him I was starting with a 250ml bottle of liquid when in actuality it turned out to be a 240ml. Using Bob's calculations I should be in the 4.5mg of liquid range after my first week for a total of 9.5mg. That is about a 5% cut in a week if my math is correct. That may be too fast for me. I could hold the liquid strength at this level and cut my 5mg tablet in half for consumption when I awake at 3 in the morning. Sorry to be so vague on this but the process has got me stumped and anxious.

Yes, the process is difficult because it is so slippery.  Reductions made weeks ago can impact you with symptoms all of a sudden.  It is so hard to correlate anything.  We must stick to the overall facts.  We are addicted.  The withdrawal symptoms are not linear.  We only know if we can slowly taper off, when can keep the symptoms reasonable and then one day, be at zero.  Also, just because you are at zero, you may not be symptom free.  Depending on has fast you got to zero (and other unknowns), you may have waves of symptoms BUT THEY ARE NOT TOO BAD AND DO NOT LAST LONG.  Then one day, perhaps weeks or months or even a year later, it is all better.

I like your proposal about improving your sleep.  For me, if I could get enough sleep, I could deal with my daytime symptoms.  Hence, I took all my drug right before bed or 1/2 at bed and the other 1/2 when I woke up at 2 or 3am.  By doing this and other sleep helps, I got my 8 hours (usually took me 10 hours in bed to get 8 hours of sleep). 

Thank You So Much,

Butter

Hi Butter,

Hi Bob and all.

Tom

Tom,

Bob

Bob

Just a quick question when you say .001mg do you mean the weight in the scale .001g?

Thanks for your help Buddie and Bob7. I am feeling like crap tonight so I am going to try taking half of my 5mg tablet at bedtime and half when I awake at 3:00am. Lack of sleep is killing me.  I am going to take my 5mg liquid [really about 4.5mg Valium due to dilution with water] tomorrow morning. I think I will hold there for a few days and see how I can handle this approximate 9.5mg dose. I really appreciate you guys talking to me about this because as you know, working with this drug can make your life hell. I will report in after trying this approach. Thanks again.

Hi I was just wondering if I am doing this right. I have just got down to 0.5mg diazepam and hit a bit of a wall and plan on holding for a couple of weeks till symptoms pass. I was using cut and hold technique till I got down to 1mg then started daily micro cuts of 0.01mg a day dissolving 2mg tablet in 200ml milk. I got down to about .8mg was doing ok so upped to 0.015 per day.

From peoples experiences when I start again should I continue on 0.01mg reduction everyday. Its weird as 24 hours have gone by holding and already feel better but had this when I was cutting and holding. I would make the cut then after 24 hours I would feel a lot better then the symptoms would slowly ramped up until they peaked at about day 10 then start to ease then build again then start to really ease off after about 4 weeks. So I am wondering if this will again now as when I hit 0.5mg started to feel those bad symptoms again.

Thanks for your comments. I thought a taper of 6 months for 10mg of Valium was a micro taper. Perhaps I am going too fast. 

Micro taper refers to making a tiny (micro) cut each day rather than a large cut every few weeks. It doesn't refer to the rate of the taper. You can go fast or go slow and still be doing a micro taper.

As far as when to take your doses, some people are helped by keeping their blood levels even. Taking half in the morning and half in the evening 12 hours apart would do that. My sleep improved a lot when I started dosing evenly.

After 1 week of tapering Valium I am convinced that I am going at too fast of a rate for me so I am going to hold any further tapers at this point. Symptoms of anxiety, depression and the big one for me, insomnia started worsening. I have been taking my Valium in the morning. Usually around 8-10am. A friend suggested that I take the bulk of my dose which is around 9.5 mg at night. Part when I went to bed which is usually around 9:30 pm and part when I awaken in the early morning hours, anywhere from 2-4am. Last night to test the process I took one half of my daily dose. I awoke for good at 4:00 am so it did not seem to help much but at least I slept for 6 hours which is good for me. Tonight I will try taking my entire 9.5mg dose during the night and see if that improves my sleep. I also take 37.5 mg of Mirtazapine at bedtime which use to help my sleep considerably but it has seemed to lose its effectiveness. Any suggestions on how long I should hold at this level? I may have to go back up to the 10mg level I have been on for the past 2 years. The thought of being stuck there is miserable. I feel like I am trapped taking drugs that compromise my life tremendously but if I stop it makes my life unbearable. Can any of you relate to that? I am sorry to sound so down but this does get me down.

Yes Spinner I feel trapped on my benzo. One should be able to get OFF their medication without hell.

I would think the 10mg V is enough at one dose to help during the day. I know I can't handle mirt. anything above 1/2 of 7.5mg.

Be well.

infoshare

Hi I was just wondering if I am doing this right. I have just got down to 0.5mg diazepam and hit a bit of a wall and plan on holding for a couple of weeks till symptoms pass. I was using cut and hold technique till I got down to 1mg then started daily micro cuts of 0.01mg a day dissolving 2mg tablet in 400ml milk. I got down to about .8mg was doing ok so upped to 0.015 per day.

From peoples experiences when I start again should I continue on 0.01mg reduction everyday. Its weird as 24 hours have gone by holding and already feel better but had this when I was cutting and holding. I would make the cut then after 24 hours I would feel a lot better then the symptoms would slowly ramped up until they peaked at about day 10 then start to ease then build again then start to really ease off after about 4 weeks. So I am wondering if this will again now as when I hit 0.5mg started to feel those bad symptoms again.

Hi Ella

Was wondering how/why 400ml of milk for 2mg benzo? I was told 20ml milk when I tried it. Mine failed as did vodka/water taper. Not judging just wondering. Peace and healing.

infoshare.

Don't want to interrupt the flow of the convo, but wanted to say HI to Gard and see how she is doing?  Carry on everyone.  :smitten:

Hi Kasey! Family problems taking a lot of my time and energy so not online as much as I used to be, but doing OK. Able to cope. I am nearing being down to one capsule! ;D Should be there before Christmas. Then will do a short hold through the holidays.

Hope you're doing well. You've been a great buddie to me and many others! :hug:

Gard :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks ever so much for the update on you and yours. Please know how dearly appreciated you are. I am so thankful for you and your amazing guidance to so many, you are making a huge difference for many as you persevere through your own trials.

I am lifting you up! (())  :smitten:

Thank You So Much,

Butter

Hi Butter,

Hi Bob and all.

Tom

Tom,

Bob

Bob

Just a quick question when you say .001mg do you mean the weight in the scale .001g?

Jlavogt,

The 0.001 mg is the amount of Klonopin I reduced each day (each pill I made had 0.001 milligrams less of Klonopin).    It had nothing to do with the scale which reads in grams (not milligrams).  Remember, a typical klonopin pill of dose 0.5 milligrams actually weighs on your scale about 0.17 grams.