Exercise support group

[dr...]

I have cut back on my exercise at the gym but mainly cardio! It's been 4 months tapering and so many times I've wanted to give up but keep at it even jogging! I'm sick sometimes but I've found consistency the key where ever you want to be! O totally get some cant exercise! But benzos took alot from me and I wasn't going to let it win taking the gym and my exercise that had been my mental health support for 2 years prior to hitting tolerance. Stubborn I just couldn't give in

That's an awesome attitude and achievement.  It is absolutely wrenching for me to be unable to exercise.  I was competative in  Brazilian JJ and an avid downhill mountainbiker.  Sadly,  trying to continue exercising has done me much more harm than good.  How ironic.

-RST

RST i gotta say best name ive heard on here...  I LOLd pretty damn hard. Bravo son!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Thanks, man.  Glad it gave you a chuckle.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

So after my panic attack after the gym back in May I abstained from weightlifting for several months. I started easing myself back in starting in July by doing lighter sets and reps with no ill effects.

Last week I was in the best window I ever had and thought I was healed. That Saturday I went to the gym and did a slightly more intense routine. Driving home I felt anxiety building up similar to May but avoided a panic attack. My brain/head hurt the rest of the day as well as the next.

Now I’m dealing with severe insomnia, increased anxiety, inner vibrations, and increased sensitivity to sugars.

How is this even remotely possible and how much did I set myself back? I am utterly devastated because I felt the best I ever have just last week and inadvertently threw myself into a wave with new, worse symptoms.

I was sleeping through the night with early wake ups prior to this and now had zero sleep four out of the last eight nights.

I’m praying this will dissipate soon but I will be abstaining from exercise indefinitely following this. I was in tremendous shape prior to my very brief exposure of Klonopin and this has been simply devastating.

Hey man - I feel your pain.  I just started going back to the gym and at first had anxiety attacks, etc. which caused me to take more Xanax.  Now that I eased off of that crap, my therapist told me to go to the gym 3 times a week and to increase the time.  I started out with lighter weights but am building up my strength and bulk.  He said that it increases endorphins.  at first I didn't believe him but little by ittle, I am starting to feel like myself again.  Worth a try.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to workout 3-4 times a week.  I took a break in April 2018, due to extreme fatigue, which sometimes comes in the form of migraine headaches.  I am not very carefully, starting to do just 5-7 minutes of a workout each day.  I started on Tuesday, and I'm following along this Denise Austin 36 minute workout.  It's actually hard for me to make myself stop, but I did the full workout all in one shot, two weeks ago, when I was feeling better, and I was just slammed with symptoms that night and felt so exhausted. 

I seem to be okay with 5-7 minutes so far.  I plan to add in more time slowly.  I do think that this is the way to go, for me, right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I am continuing my baby steps with exercise.  I was going to just do half a 36 minute workout, but right about minute 8, I felt fatigued, however, I can't tell if this is something I should listen to or just push through.  I was stopping at 8 minutes for the last 2 weeks, so I am thinking that this is where my body is used to going to now, and who knows what happens if I go past it.  I am also excited that I can exercise for 8 minutes now.  That was pretty much impossible just two months ago. 

Baby steps.  That is how I am doing this. 

A lot of things can set us off.  I stopped doing yoga and lifting weights after my shoulder began having pain around March. Then it moved to the other shoulder, though not as severe as the right one. After reading posts on here, I think it could be the product of withdrawal. The PCP suggested it was a slight rotor cuff tear and recommended an exercise, which made the pain even worse. He then sent me on to an ortho doctor, but I chose not to go. I didn't want either surgery or meds. The pain went away, on its own, completely, mid October and has never returned.

As for exercising, I can manage 30 minutes of walking with 5 mins of jogging in that 30 min time frame, but can't go beyond that more than a minute or two. I'm just too exhausted.

I realize we have our limits on the road to benzo recovery, so I try not to stress too much about it. My anxiety levels remain fairly even with spikes during the night when I can't go back to sleep. My brain is racing away like it's on fast forward. I just say, "stop" and that helps for the moment.

mobako, I forgot how long I stopped exercising, but I'm guessing most of the first year during my withdrawal and part of the second year after I completely tapered off. I do remember starting with 5 minutes and working up to 15, then 20 over time. I really could not rush it. As Greencup says, Baby steps.

Alright, I am continuing my baby steps with exercise.  I was going to just do half a 36 minute workout, but right about minute 8, I felt fatigued, however, I can't tell if this is something I should listen to or just push through.  I was stopping at 8 minutes for the last 2 weeks, so I am thinking that this is where my body is used to going to now, and who knows what happens if I go past it.  I am also excited that I can exercise for 8 minutes now.  That was pretty much impossible just two months ago. 

Baby steps.  That is how I am doing this.

Good job GreenCup, if you have been doing 8 minutes for 2 weeks, try to move up to 10.  Throw some music 🎶 on that moves that body and you will be doing 10 minutes without even noticing .  Stay there another 2 or 3 weeks, see how you feel.  It's great you are adding exercise into your day :clap: :clap:  Love, Mary ☮️💜🙏

2 years and still unable to excercise.. :( How long did it take anyone who can excercise now to be able to do it again?

September 10, 2012 was my last dose of Xanax. I then gained weight and got to 363 lbs while enduring all the depression from my doctor doing a cold turkey on me. The first 2 yrs I couldn't do more than walk, as if I built up any sweat or body heat really, it was surely followed with an anxiety attack. About a year ago, my back began getting real bad and my doctor put me into physical therapy 2 days a week. I began losing a little weight and before I knew it, the 2 month's were up. I then joined a gym where I go 3 days a week and have and am continuing top do so. I'm down to an amazing 198 lbs right now, with about 15 more to go. I'm 54 and will soon be rockin the best body of my life.

Don't give up. We all have limits while enduring this. Some can do more, sooner than others can. The key is to not give up and

don't give in. You will learn some limits, but don't be afraid to push.

Love and encouragement

2 years and still unable to excercise.. :( How long did it take anyone who can excercise now to be able to do it again?

September 10, 2012 was my last dose of Xanax. I then gained weight and got to 363 lbs while enduring all the depression from my doctor doing a cold turkey on me. The first 2 yrs I couldn't do more than walk, as if I built up any sweat or body heat really, it was surely followed with an anxiety attack. About a year ago, my back began getting real bad and my doctor put me into physical therapy 2 days a week. I began losing a little weight and before I knew it, the 2 month's were up. I then joined a gym where I go 3 days a week and have and am continuing top do so. I'm down to an amazing 198 lbs right now, with about 15 more to go. I'm 54 and will soon be rockin the best body of my life.

Don't give up. We all have limits while enduring this. Some can do more, sooner than others can. The key is to not give up and

don't give in. You will learn some limits, but don't be afraid to push.

Love and encouragement

That is so exciting to hear you accomplishment.  Wow.  When I first started  physical therapy I thought I would hate it, but as it went along and I built up my confidence, I loved it.  You are doing amazing.  Keep up the good attitude and work!!

Mary, ☮️💜 :clap: :clap:

This is very inspiring.. I have had a bad 2 days and needed to hear about progress being made with exercise. At 155 pounds, I am the heaviest I have ever been minus the pregnancies. I won’t force it but will shed the pounds SLOWLY when my body is ready. Thanks.

I exercise regularly. The only times I have not been able to have been when withdrawals have been too much and I needed to back it up, so I did that yesterday--I had cut two medications at once, and too much of both. So I put the 2nd cut for the tramadol back in, and then put 1 mg. of the 2 mg. Valium back in the same time--Noon dose.

Today, I was able to do what I call my Hard Core workout, which means walk around inside the flat to warm up, do stretches, then balance, some yoga--both dynamic and static, other isometrics including The Plank, Donkey Kickbacks, more leg and ab work, and in between light weights for all parts of the body.

I always finish with at least 15 minutes, but usually 30 minutes of Relaxation--head and trunk of an exercise mat, legs up on my bed, a home-made eye pillow (dish towel covering a ziplock with rice in it).

I'm always very tired afterward but I also feel better psychologically, not just physically.

I hope others are doing what they can, moving regularly in some way. It does help with withdrawals, and for those of us on a long taper, it keeps us from getting really flabby and taking a big hit to our self-confidence.

[48...]

18 months post and STILL get annihilated with symptoms upon working out too hard sometimes, but its getting time to say the hell with it and push i think. I can get away with a brisk walk sometimes, and occasional couple sets of pushups. Ive been motionless for so long, havent worked up a sweat barely ever last two years, i went from the best shape of my life to the worst.

ive had on and off heart palpitations which has really scared me into being sedentary. Im approaching a time though that man, i really gotta get my body moving. i passed right through my midlife crisis years with this withdrawal, im 47 now, at 44 i felt like a 27 year old, was benching sets with 225lbs, now ugh im pretty shot. im a couch potato totally out of shape.

my cardiologist told me very adamantly, "'Luke', your heart is FINE, exercise will do you good" just 3 weeks ago, so i have his ok, but im still hesitant. i dont get palps a lot, at my worst a handful a day, and often none now, but i dont know how to proceed exercising if i get one.

i dunno, i just cant gauge how hard to go or how to handle my current withdrawal situation and exercise/weight lifting. i do know i wana get moving, i dont even care if i get some reved up symptoms from it, i can deal with that, id rather my body get back into real shape underneath the damn withdrawal. just alil concern over the ole heart - i do kinda get paranoid now whenever i even get my heartrate up for anything. admittedly, the withdrawal has scared me into stillness. long walks i kinda get more paranoid and nervous the farther from home i go. god i hate this, i was in such good shape just 3 years ago, strong, running, lifting, some sports, playing gigs in two metal bands. never ever was worried about my freaking heart exploding, at all, now im paranoid at every beat and every step i take.... must get through it....

as usual, me rambling...

LukeSkywalker,

Could you try doing some meditation before you begin your workout? Only 10 minutes to start, or heck, period if that is all you can do.

Just sit back on your heels if that is comfortable or on a chair if it isn't, close your eyes, and just breathe...

Don't try to breathe any particular way, just in and out, no pushing.

Set a timer for 10 minutes and whenever your mind wanders bring it back to your breath.

I meditate like this for 25 minutes, used to do it every day but I'm struggling with withdrawals right now so I'm doing it a few times a week and especially on my hardcore workout day with weights.

It helps me feel calm even when the heart palpitations don't ease up right away.

Also, can you walk around inside your house or flat if the weather is bad? I do that, same as meditation, set a timer and then walk slowly, until the time is up, and then I stretch my calves and more, and workout.

It's like our bodies tell us 'Don't do that!' because of the heart palpitations while the rest of our bodies are indicating, "Move!" because we need the blood flowing and the endorphins and confidence and just overall improvement in our health.

If you've had a physical and your doctor says it looks good, then just be gentle, don't push yourself too hard but make yourself workout and it'll become habit again.

I've been working out in spite of symptoms for over a year now, a few times a week. It's made a big difference in my over all attitude although right now I'm struggling, but if I wasn't working out it would be much worse, the depression especially.

I still have problems exercising. I don't know if it's my fear that symptoms will pop up or what. I was tested for catecholamines and, last I read, my norepinephrine is off the charts. I would love to do what I used to do to feel good: yoga, weights, mini-trampoline, walking, or manual treadmill. But doing that adds stress. As of yesterday my weight is 111, and I eat well and walk. Was just out of the hospital for very low sodium. Scared the hell out of me. I have to take lots of bp meds. My benzo anxiety has been very hard to get over.

Yes, you'd think exercise would fix the anxiety, but having been through this numerous times, I know that going slowly is a must, just like tapering off benzos. See how your body responds. It's always been difficult for me because as I do the exercises, it feels SO GOOD that I want to keep going. Then I realize that I did too much. Luckily I walk quite a bit. That I can do. But yoga and weights are iffy. And forget being on the treadmill or trampoline. Wish it weren't so!!!

[48...]

Valzone thank you so much for that advice, and your thoughts!!

im actually copying over some of what you read to save (in a private folder)

good idea, to meditate and breathe first,

and i can walk around inside a bit, with the back doors open i can actually do "laps" through the house and around the back of the lanai.

yeah im gonna have to bite the bullet and work through this (gently as you say) i imagine my body, my breathing, my heart, is gonna trip over itself alil at first, but I HAVE to get to where i can lift my heart rate up and work up a sweat, geezus i havent worked up a good sweat holy crap in probably a year or something, just crazy.

Luke SkyWalker

I'm so glad it helped. And if you're having any memory problems--I sure am, copy it off in larger font and put a reminder on the refrigerator door and anywhere else like the medicine cabinet (because of shaving, tooth brushing), etcetera so if you don't look one place, you'll notice it in another. That's what I do with my workout schedule because some days I'm groping through it and need whatever devices I can think up to bump me along. :-)

Time to take this to the next level! Walking for exercise was all I could really manage during my taper, but my endurance did increase. I went from walking around the block, to a few miles, to weekly 7-10 mile hikes. It doesn't really get my heart rate up much anymore, and I think this is a sign of progress. I've been bummed that it's cold and dark early, and I can tell that the lack of exercise is contributing to post-withdrawal and seasonal depression even as the anxiety is finally easing up. I'm going to break this cycle once and for all!

This weekend I did a bunch of housework (stress cleaning), and put a little extra effort into the guest room where we keep the elliptical/stair master. I set up a TV in there and hung some posters and artwork that cheer me up. My plan is to do half an hour of cardio while watching TV in the evenings right when I get home from work. That's it to start. I'll slowly work up to an hour and start adding in things like pushups, situps, weights. But I want to take it slow.

Wish me luck!  :thumbsup:

Gwinna

When I was a teenager I used to walk outside and read at the same time, crossing streets, etcetera.

I've since found that I can walk inside my flat without being bored if I read. Now I just make sure to walk barefoot so I am less likely to trip over a rug. It's working!

I walked earlier today doing two of my favorite activities, and I am retaining what I read better, which seems a bit odd but it's good, too.

Gwinna

I just saw your post, I miss things sometimes.

I do wish you success, not luck, because you are doing--not just thinking about doing--what you need to set up your workout spot, so you will succeed.

Only caveat, which I give myself not just others, is don't think of having to 'back up' as any kind of failure; it is a 'readjustment' made according to what our bodies indicate we can handle day by day.

Keep us posted on your progress even if it's just "I'm doing the same routine" because that means you have a great habit going.

Gwinna

I just saw your post, I miss things sometimes.

I do wish you success, not luck, because you are doing--not just thinking about doing--what you need to set up your workout spot, so you will succeed.

Only caveat, which I give myself not just others, is don't think of having to 'back up' as any kind of failure; it is a 'readjustment' made according to what our bodies indicate we can handle day by day.

Keep us posted on your progress even if it's just "I'm doing the same routine" because that means you have a great habit going.

That was a great post Val, so often we don't give ourselves credit for what we are doing, luv Mary ☮️💜🙏

Thanks, Mary.

No, we don't, do we. We see the negative and it looms so large but the good-normal we just shrug off or think isn't good enough. It is PUL-LEN-TY good enough! :-)