Exercise support group

[dr...]

Hi Val,

Thanks for the encouragement! You are so right about how easy it can be to start taking the "good-normal" for granted. I did my first 30 minutes of cardio today. Mondays are hard but I got it done.

Gwinna

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Val,

Thanks for the encouragement! You are so right about how easy it can be to start taking the "good-normal" for granted. I did my first 30 minutes of cardio today. Mondays are hard but I got it done.

Gwinna

:clap::yippee: that's you doing jumping jacks....good job, Mary☮️💜🙏

Hi Val,

Gwinna

:clap::yippee: that's you doing jumping jacks....good job, Mary☮️💜🙏

:smitten:

All I managed was walking inside the flat today, really slow, maybe 10 minutes but I have legs, I was basically upright, and that is more than a lot of people can do, or 'have' as there are so many people in wheelchairs, with other problems more severe--and permanent--than what I am going through.

YAY for legs that work, no matter how slow they move or how little on some days they can do, they propel me forward, and sometimes sideways. :-D

Hey! Great thread idea 💡 I started doing yoga last year and it's been great, I'm actually about to undertake a great challenge and do a 200Hr yoga teacher training program I'm absolutely terrified but I know it will be worth the struggle. Maybe someday I will be a teacher and can help other people suffering from anxiety and even benzo WD get some relief! Goals 💕

Glad this thread is helpful....I started it a looong way back.  Exercise intolerance was/is a big symptom for me.  My body just seems to react to it by sending cortisol and adrenaline rushes for a while after.  This far out things have calmed a lot and now i am trying to push through any increase in cortisol/adrenaline by hoping my body acclimates to it with continued pushing.  I did 20 min on elliptical yesterday and that was the most in two years.  The day before I did 16 minutes.  So far slight increase and some twitching of muscles but that's okay for now.

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

Almost 4 months post-withdrawal and My withdrawal symptoms have calmed down a bit the past week or so (window).  Since exercise triggers new wave, I decided to give it another try this time (in 3 wks),  many of the annoying post-exercise symptoms like anxiety, nerve pain, fatigue, vibrations, were minimal this time, but Could Not sleep for 2 nights.  I mean brain just seems very wired and why just the sleep?

I just hopped off after a relatively uneventful taper.  I think a lot the reason it was relatively easy (outside of some excellent advice from those on the titration taper board) was due to my exercising throughout my taper.  I was exercising regularly before I had issues with Benzos and made it a point to increase my exercise load during taper.  Now that I am off I want to try to push my limits.  Last November I did a 70 mile bike ride.  I want to extend that to a century ride (100 mi) at some point in the spring.

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad this thread exists.

I have had mixed results with exercising during my taper. At the start of my taper, I did hot yoga every day (completed a 30 day challenge). I did yoga a few times after that, when my taper got more challenging, and it was great.

Last Sunday I was in a window (during a hard taper time, holding at 3mg for almost 3 weeks and not feeling better). I did hot yoga and then the next day I had a bad wave...not sure if it was the challenging 75 minute hot yoga class or just a wave.

I want to exercise more and having formerly been in pretty amazing shape (ran for 45 mins fast for no problem, weights, boot camp, hot yoga), it's hard for me to go slow - but I know I do have to go slow because I do not want to trigger another wave.

How slow should I start? i do walk a lot but that is not working out...should I try 10min slow on the treadmill and build up?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sober-exercise tolerance is such an individual thing. I would slowly increase and when you get hit just ease up.

It still trips me up at almost five years off.  Not as bad and way less often but it's something I have to watch for.  If i did five minutes on elliptical or something similar I would have a racing heart for days early on.  I was able to exercise through my whole taper but once i jumped that went out the window.  I now am able to do 25-30 min of elliptical, weights when feeling well, and stretching.  This experience crushed my workout ability.

I was on a 3mg of K for many years so hopefully your situation won't be as bad as mine.  Good luck.

drew28

I am going to start slow. I can relate. I was a fitness junkie and could do boot camp and hot yoga and run for 45 mins easy. I hate not being able to do more than walk on this taper...I will start slow though and not over-exert myself. Crazy that such a healthy thing like exercise gets messed up by these pills.

I was taking 10mg of Valium for 14 months...so a good amount and big dose. I am now today at 2.99mg (started a partial DLMT yesterday) - the amount of time I have left freaks me out. I want to be off these pills so badly.

I did 20 minutes of a workout today.  5 minutes warm-up and 5 minutes cool down.  I am working my way up to a 30 minute one.  I do feel like when I do these, my shoulder and back muscles get stirred up, and possibly want to make a migraine happen.  I hate that.  I wish there was a way to make my muscles not so tense as the default. 

Hey everyone!  I've gotten pretty sedentary lately- 'tis the tendency when going through withdrawal.  I know I would benefit from getting up and out even if it's a walk up and down the block, each day.  I'd love to join your thread and get re-motivated! 

I did 20 minutes of a workout today.  5 minutes warm-up and 5 minutes cool down.  I am working my way up to a 30 minute one.  I do feel like when I do these, my shoulder and back muscles get stirred up, and possibly want to make a migraine happen.  I hate that.  I wish there was a way to make my muscles not so tense as the default.

Green cup, have you tried Yoga?  I have never done it myself but I have heard from so many that it is great for muscular tension etc.  May be something to try pre workout.

Welcome to the group Candice!

I LOVE yoga but I do hot yoga which I found on Sunday was a little too intense (I used to be so good at it too) and when I had an awful Monday after a window on Sunday, I couldn't help but think that the 75 mins of hot yoga was a set-back. So I am trying to find a happy balance with how much working out I can do....

This looks like a great thread to be a part of. Exercise has been such a huge part of my taper. I was really bummed a few months ago when I couldn’t run because it was keeping me up at night. So I walked slowly for a few months. Seemed to help me sleep if I walked. If I didn’t walk I didn’t sleep as well. Tried running again last week and I still slept so I’m back at it. I was doing yoga but got out of the habit. It did absolutely nothing for my muscle aches but yoga is so healing I know it’s helping my brain and my body. I work and have a family so I don’t exercise everyday but try to get it in most days of the week. I’ll look forward to seeing what has worked well for everyone else.

Yoga is truly transformative and so good for breathing and being mindful and meditating. I love hot yoga and will try and take a class (not a tough one) tomorrow - manifesting a window to make that a possibility.

Let's all be a team and root each other on as we exercise and keep building it up!

• Popular Now