Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Exercise support group

[dr...]

Hi BJ,

For what it's worth I have bad reactions to ANY supplement that I have tried during w/d.

I have to stay away from everything including B vitamins -- especially b Vitamins....

:smitten:

SS

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi BJ,

For what it's worth I have bad reactions to ANY supplement that I have tried during w/d.

I have to stay away from everything including B vitamins -- especially b Vitamins....

:smitten:

SS

Me too. I stay away from all supplements for now.  I get my vitamins and minerals from healthy whole foods loaded with nutrients.  Eating a variety of healthy whole foods from different sources is very important.  The body prefers nutrition in natural form.

• 5 months later...

It's been a while since anyone has posted here, so here I am now.

After 2 month's of physical therapy paid for by insurance and then 2 month's of follow up paid by me, I've now joined the gym. In my 4 month's of physical therapy I lost about 107 lbs. I'm almost to my goal weight of 180-185. Only about 5-10 lbs left now. At my highest a little over a year ago, I was 363 lbs ! I loved seeing those scales show 190 today.

Keep at it folks. Exercise, walk, lift, use rubber bands or exercise ball. Anything to get those endorphins going for you. I know how difficult it is, believe me. I also know what it's like to be on the flip side of that overweight coin too. If we an survive benzo withdrawal, for me losing weight became a bit easier. It's also helped to have two dog's who love going for walks. I love my two so much that I've rescued another that will be joining our family soon. He's about 2 hrs away and I had him pulled this afternoon and saved his life. Another walking buddy.

Hope everyone is doing well and always try to do your best. It's so well worth it.

During my first week of withdrawal, I hit the weights and powered through my typical routine that I’ve been doing for 15 years. While I’m driving home, I start having a panic attack (my first ever) out of nowhere. Barely made it home and it scared the crap out of me. I clearly pushed myself too hard and it really depressed me.

Yesterday I was feeling really good, perhaps the best I felt since this ordeal, and decided to run three miles at a 9:30 pace. Revved me up and unfortunately gave me a setback.

I’m just besides myself that 2.5 weeks of usage would affect my life in every facet. I was jogging 2 miles at a slower pace and that was manageable. I just need to figure out a mellower weightlifting routine so I can at least maintain my gains over the years. I’m so frustrated about all of this. Exercise is supposed to be therapeutic and has always lifted my spirits. Now it’s all changed and I don’t know how to cope with it.

During my first week of withdrawal, I hit the weights and powered through my typical routine that I’ve been doing for 15 years. While I’m driving home, I start having a panic attack (my first ever) out of nowhere. Barely made it home and it scared the crap out of me. I clearly pushed myself too hard and it really depressed me.

Yesterday I was feeling really good, perhaps the best I felt since this ordeal, and decided to run three miles at a 9:30 pace. Revved me up and unfortunately gave me a setback.

I’m just besides myself that 2.5 weeks of usage would affect my life in every facet. I was jogging 2 miles at a slower pace and that was manageable. I just need to figure out a mellower weightlifting routine so I can at least maintain my gains over the years. I’m so frustrated about all of this. Exercise is supposed to be therapeutic and has always lifted my spirits. Now it’s all changed and I don’t know how to cope with it.

Be very careful with how you manage physical stresses on your body.  Some respond well to exercise and the endorphins.  For some of us, however, the stress messes with hormones that set the hypothalmus-pituitary-adrenal axis on it's head and cause a spiral of symptom increase.  It took me a while to correlate that my major setbacks were physical stress related as opposed to just related to my tapering.  Now, I must be exceedingly careful.  I damaged myself by doing too much physical activity during my current gabapentin taper.  The challenge is how does one know how much physical stress (exercise) one can tolerate.  The key is to start slowly and then very gradually ease into more and more challenging activity.  As a former competitive jiu-jitsu athlete and mad mountain-biker it never occurred to me at all that exercise could now cause me intense suffering.  It's turned my whole world on its head.

-RST

Yesterday I took a walk with my son to the library and I had to stop multiple times and sit down on the way there and back.  It just felt so weird to need to do that.  It's not even that long of a walk but I haven't been walking or exercising much for the last three months.

I tried to do a low impact cardio workout and I've been able to make it in about 8 minutes now.  It isn't that I *can't* do it, but I am being very very cautious not to overdo it.  I'm trying to just gradually get back to a place where I can do at least SOME exercise.

It's been a while since anyone has posted here, so here I am now.

After 2 month's of physical therapy paid for by insurance and then 2 month's of follow up paid by me, I've now joined the gym. In my 4 month's of physical therapy I lost about 107 lbs. I'm almost to my goal weight of 180-185. Only about 5-10 lbs left now. At my highest a little over a year ago, I was 363 lbs ! I loved seeing those scales show 190 today.

Keep at it folks. Exercise, walk, lift, use rubber bands or exercise ball. Anything to get those endorphins going for you. I know how difficult it is, believe me. I also know what it's like to be on the flip side of that overweight coin too. If we an survive benzo withdrawal, for me losing weight became a bit easier. It's also helped to have two dog's who love going for walks. I love my two so much that I've rescued another that will be joining our family soon. He's about 2 hrs away and I had him pulled this afternoon and saved his life. Another walking buddy.

Hope everyone is doing well and always try to do your best. It's so well worth it.

Way to go, Lakeside! That's a huge accomplishment. In wd we have to go slow and steady but I think exercise is super important for surviving this and ultimately thriving. What that exercise looks like in terms of length and intensity varies widely with us but the important thing is that it's happening. Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Hi all...been a while since I posted on the thread here.  A bit over four years and I’m finally starting to exercise a bit more.  I’m walking 4-5 miles a day.  It’s just simple walking but for me that’s a big one. I do dumbbells occasionally but try not to overdo it. Haven’t done any aerobic workouts yet but will try soon. Occasionally my muscles rebel and I stiffen up like a board.  That sucks. I’m cautiosly optomostic I really turned a corner this time because I can even drink a cup of regular coffee with no major symptom spikes. Everything finally feels like it’s just fading away.  God I hope so. 

Yay Drew! That’s awesome.

I’m in some stage where my hips legs and back get stiff from just cleaning the house. I’ve gained 50 pounds in withdrawal and am in pain constantly. I don’t know if this is just me now or some stage of wd. I feel unmotivated and like I just don’t give a shit how fat or how out of shape I am. I did Crossfit for 4 years before this happened. It’s not like me to not want to do anything. Is this wd? All this pain and tension and stiffness and no motivation to go on a diet or exercise?

I’m in some stage where my hips legs and back get stiff from just cleaning the house. I’ve gained 50 pounds in withdrawal and am in pain constantly. I don’t know if this is just me now or some stage of wd. I feel unmotivated and like I just don’t give a shit how fat or how out of shape I am. I did Crossfit for 4 years before this happened. It’s not like me to not want to do anything. Is this wd? All this pain and tension and stiffness and no motivation to go on a diet or exercise?

it's absolutely withdrawal.  The pain can rear it's head on me at any time.  How can we all have the same things (mostly) but otherwise be healthy?  The diet you can control at any point once you get fed up with how you look overtakes the bnezo lack of motivation.

I’m close to being fed up. I am so fat right now it’s uncomfortable but my motivation is zero and it’s qlmost like I’m so miserable that chocolate Hagen dasz is the only thing bringing me a little comfort. Ugh.

It's also helped to have two dog's who love going for walks. I love my two so much that I've rescued another that will be joining our family soon. He's about 2 hrs away and I had him pulled this afternoon and saved his life. Another walking buddy.

Aw, Lakeside, that's great about getting another dog! Ours (German Shepherd/Husky mix) keeps me moving for sure. Congratulations on all the progress, that is so admirable and inspiring.

I am also trying to use this time to get into healthier habits. I have a home elliptical for when it gets too hot outside, and there's a high school at the end of my block with a track that the whole neighborhood uses - I'll walk laps there pretty frequently. My favorite thing to do, though, is longer walks by the river. I never really liked running, I'd rather do low-impact for longer.

Maybe I'll get to weights eventually...right now I just try to keep moving, even if it's not very fast.  ;)

Gwinna

Hey I’ve just started doing some very light exercise for the first time in years and my body is reacting quite well. The only thing that’s worrying me is I’m getting a lot more brain zaps whilst I exercise and shortly after. Is that a red flag or am I ok to continue what I’m doing 🤷‍♂️

I stupidly did some light Qi Gong yesterday.

Today I don’t have the strength or energy to sit on the toilet.

To me exercise is my rescue… I'm now at 2.04 Diazepam and i'm having 2 Zumba workouts a week.. heavy but i come out so much better. I'm still tired as i leave but it gets better and i fight my issues during class. i know i can do this.

Next year i'm off to teach 6 times a week and take one class myself. To me it's doing wonders but i was used to working out a lot before this mess. It brings me back to my wonderful comforting happy space.

I'm sorry to read this, Ang. I don't know whether you remember, but a couple of years ago, you made me start yoga. For 3 or 4 months, I followed a Youtube video every single day. It started with Yoga with Adrienne, as suggested by you, then I found Fightmaster Yoga. I made quite a lot of progress throughout those few months of practice, building up rapidly to arm balances! But like everything, when you stop practising... I went to visit family that Summer and my healthy yoga habits........!

Anyhoo, I wanted to tell you, or remind you, of your role in my discovery of yoga, and say thank you again!

Now, we both seem to be lacking motivation right now. Would it help to try to motivate each other to at least try a yoga video (if that is what you feel like doing - or least don't feel like doing)?

I did a 20 min one a couple of weeks ago, simple sun salutations A and B and ended up very sore for 4 days. Since jumping in April 2017, my muscles have wasted a lot, the muscle I have lost has been replaced by fat. Yay. Even going up a one-story stair gives me leg and bottock pain. I can't believe how unfit I have become! And that is not all linked to not exercising, I really think my body has been eating up my poor muscles to repair my brain.

Anyway. Yes, lack of motivation is withdrawal alright. I don't know if you have regained your interest in reading and listening to music (sorry for going off topic here!) but I am quite positive those will return to you in time.

Take good care of yourself and don't hesitate to PM if you wish!  :smitten:

Julz xxx

To me exercise is my rescue… I'm now at 2.04 Diazepam and i'm having 2 Zumba workouts a week.. heavy but i come out so much better. I'm still tired as i leave but it gets better and i fight my issues during class. i know i can do this.

Next year i'm off to teach 6 times a week and take one class myself. To me it's doing wonders but i was used to working out a lot before this mess. It brings me back to my wonderful comforting happy space.

Hello my dear Shake!  :smitten:

I am delighted to "see you" here! And with such great news!

It's wonderful to see you get back into life as you taper, I remember not so long ago, just going to Zumba was a bit of a struggle still for you - and look at you now, not only going to Zumba but planning on TEACHING 6 days of the week!  :D How wonderful is that?  :yippee:

Of course you can do it! You are already doing it!!  :thumbsup:

I LOVE to see people getting their lives back after psych drugs (and during their tapers!), some things feel miraculous although they are quite simple, quite natural. I know dance was always a part of you, so it was only natural that you'd be back in time!

Actually you may know the same type of thing happened to me after jumping. I am nowhere near healed and not yet much better either but I have gone back to dancing. I found out the teacher I give up on in 2004, when I first got unwell and put on drugs, was still teaching at the same school, so it is a bit as if I picked things up where I left them off all those years ago. I now do contemporary with her and have found another class I enjoy (modern jazz), I have been dancing 4 times a week! Last Sunday was my contemporary gala, first time on stage after all these years!!

So here you go, psych drug poisons, in your face!!!  :D :D :D

Doing what makes us happy (or at least, did prior to all this mess!) is the best way forward  :thumbsup:

Keep taking good care of yourself, and keep dancing of course!  :thumbsup:

Julz xxx

Hey Julz, so nice to see/read that you haven't give up on dance or shall i say dance hasn't given up on you through all this. It makes me smile to hear that you restarted some things that you did before ! It will take some time to recuperate and be the person all energized but you will, you can and you shall !!!

After one hour of Zumba my feet are killing me but the monster can't take away that big grin in my face. I remember dancing Zumba at home and crying cauz i didn't feel it anymore. Now my friends keep telling me when i'm dancing i'm in a kind of trance. It's like i'm in the room and no one is watching. But i feel so great being able to do what i love to do again. It won't be 6 days a week but 6 hours a week though. I will still need time to recuperate and take some rest cauz the tiredness never really left the building yet. But i just want to push myself to leave my comfort zone even though it's hard sometimes. I know everybody around here knows what i'm trying to say.

Take good care of yourself and you're Always welcome to dance one Zumba song on YouTube a week. Hugs

x Shake x

Ang,

Thank you for mentioning your symptoms.  I also for the last few months have had an out of ordinary stiffness in my back and legs been bothering and worrying me.  Stretching is now helping it.  But reading your post now I think maybe it's a late-onset symptom ( like when I had weird stinging hands and vibrating teeth) that will pass like other weird sxs did. 

Also weight gain. In the w/d initially I lost 25 lbs.  But then 20 lbs crept back.  It worsens the depression sx  and then I don't care from having the apathy sx.  My doctor, who is familiar with benzo withdrawal, believes it is a brain / CNS injury tells me to stop beating myself up and says benzo w/d plays havoc with many systems including metabolism - and he says my metabolism will correct itself in time.  So I just keep eating a generally basic good normal diet, take walks, confess to overeat on this or that - and brownies.  (I've been enjoying baking again and craving and baking dark chocolate brownies.) 

Also I feel more forgetful now than before, I can think through complex subjects but not well do organizing tasks (file, put things away)  Dr says that its part of the benzo caused brain / CNS injury and my brain is healing.   

Hang in there, Ang.  And all.  I will too.  And please keep bringing up weird sx - it helps us see they ARE sx - and like other sxs they WILL go away.

Hi all, I would like to be a part of this group. I used to walk 1.5 hours a day, but as I kindled on clonazepam, I walked less and less because I didn't want to meet people while walking. I would cross the street to avoid people. It never dawned on me why, because I had made friends all over the neighborhood while out walking. I purchased a treadmill, but disliked that with a passion. Finally I settled on walking around the house for 30 minutes a day. It was better than nothing. I wear a Fitbit and try to walk 10,000 a day. I also did yoga and lifted hand weights. A couple of months ago, I developed a shoulder pain. I had lots of pains come and go during my taper, but this one has stayed. I was not aware of injuring my shoulder, but probably should go to the PCP to have him at least give his opinion to me about what he thinks is going on. I procrastinate a lot.

Three weeks ago, my husband and I went on a cruise with our children and two grandchildren. I was dreading going, even though I love cruising. It all worked out and I had a wonderful getaway. My husband has mid stage Alzheimer's stressed me out, as he complained about foot pain and wobbled as he walked, holding on to the railing down the hall and using a cane. I believe it is a brain issue not a pain issue, when he is out of his element, he thinks he cannot walk. He is not yet bad enough to be placed in a memory care facility and even though we have LTC insurance, the cost of $7,000 to $10,000 a month will eat up our joint policy in 2.5 years.  But back to my exercise program. Since we returned from the cruise, I have walked 30 minutes once. I took off my Fitbit, as I thought that could be causing my arm pain.  Obviously I need some motivation here! ha

My vision is off at times. I see a pin point of blue light in the night, but in answer to your question, exercise does not do anything to my vision.

After 29 months, on the couch, it's time to start training. Am I 100 years old? Now, something has to happen, otherwise I break my arms and legs. So, slowly but surely, even if it's the last thing I want to do! :)