Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Exercise support group

[dr...]

Hi guys is exercise really helping your recovery? I have been pushing to go back to working (very physical) and getting slammed next 2 days. After that i am ok but soon as i push next day i get punished

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys is exercise really helping your recovery? I have been pushing to go back to working (very physical) and getting slammed next 2 days. After that i am ok but soon as i push next day i get punished

At your level of recovery? yes!!  :thumbsup: start with walking 30min per day or 15min stationary bike.. mix in some yoga (you can find boat loads on youtube) most importantly make sure you eat properly!!!

To me right now it doesn't make a difference... i can have terrible muscle aches in neck and shoulders after a workout especially at night but i also do have those aches when i haven't done any sports. So i keep doing what i'm doing, it reassures my self confidence and it gives me a mental boost !

Locki- I'm kind of feeling like that too except it just lasts the 1 night. I have this inner tension feeling that feels so bad. Had it last night again. Woke up with a little doom feeling.

What happens if we keep pushing even if we feel like that and keep working out?

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Yesterday I over trained after long time without activities in gym,  took my first non decaf espresso , didn't enough only healthy lunch and I suffered extremely powerful panic attack with over the board agoraphobia. First panic attack in really long long time,  maybe first in 2 months since few weeks after I CT valium.

I just want to know what is your experience with exercise and panics. What I want to know,  the relation of over training, caffeine , low blood sugar or combination,  can make like what happened to me?

I know the effects of these may trigger anxiety /panics/ agoraphobia,  but wanted direct experiences from you and advise on how to train without getting panics/ anxiety.

Best regards,

Nuad

Does anyone else get shaky muscles during and after working out?  I used to work out a lot prior to withdrawing and I got shaky muscles but this seems more severe considering I'm not trying to lift as heavy of weights.  I also seem to have trouble using weight machines and pushing/pulling in a 100% smooth manner.  The movements seem slightly jerky. I'm 18 months out and trying to get back into the gym more often.

Eric,

I get this sometimes (used to happen a lot early on) when I lift weights or exercise. It seems to be getting better with time. If it gets too crazy I dial down what I'm doing and try again next time.

MT

Eric,

I get this sometimes (used to happen a lot early on) when I lift weights or exercise. It seems to be getting better with time. If it gets too crazy I dial down what I'm doing and try again next time.

MT

Thanks MT.  I guess I just went too hard.  I'll back it down a bit.

Hi,

I would love to join this group. I am new here and just started tapering off Clonazepam. I do yoga and just joined a gym. I am hoping that staying active will help me! Thanks!

Welcome, Lily.

I think exercise can be very helpful during this process. If nothing else, it helps with the emotional part of this and makes us feel like we're doing something to help ourselves. Just make sure you listen to your body along the way.

It s possible to Workout ! I teached a one hour zumba class yesterday and it felt great ! If your body was used to working out before it s a real boost 2 your selfesteem and it really feels like a victory ! Just listen to your body and Go for it !

Working out through my entire taper and now entering my 6th month post-taper, has been extremely helpful.  If I didn't exercise I'd be so much worse.  Anything you can do is better than doing nothing at all.  There were weeks and months when I had to scale back significantly, but giving up just wasn't an option.  Today I had hellish anxiety and couldn't work out until 4PM.  After 30 minutes, the difference was remarkable.  I also felt weak and unenthused about it today, but instead of an all or nothing mentality I found ways to challenge myself that were less challenging  ;).  Taking care of my body is an essential part of my healing process and I only take a day off if I really can't do it.  Missing too much time affects me the way skipping insulin would affect someone with diabetes.  I don't see it as optional.  Find something you can do and do it as many times per week as you can and build from there. 

A plus for me (I have a membership at a gym) is that I've now met people whom I look forward to seeing and who also encourage me.  They don't know my story, they just see me working hard and have come up to me to tell me that I inspire them (if they only knew!!!!) and now I've got a few support people to help keep me going when the going gets tough.  If you can attend a class, it's also good to be around others. 

• 5 weeks later...

Rode my bike (a 100 pound fat tire mountain bike) from Seattle to Ellensburg (about 125 miles) and back in four days. A 250 mile journey. (My bike broke down in the last 25 miles, which stopped us at 230ish miles.) I went with a friend who is 20 years younger than me and held my own.

Felt pretty heroic when I got home.

I sometimes read on these forums that this whole experience actually makes us stronger and I'm 100% living proof that's true. I've never done such a thing in my life and I put over 3000 miles on my fat tire mountain bike alone this last year. We do recover.

There's some photos on my Instagram, including a video.

https://www.instagram.com/badselfiesinseattle/

I'm impressed you could lift a 100lb mountain bike up into a tree!  :laugh:

But seriously, great job; you should feel like a hero.

Best,

Ed

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone-

Been a while since I posted but just dropping in to say hi. Excercise has been a godsend for me during this whole ordeal. Running/jogging helped me burn off excess energy and about a month ago I started crossfit. Feeling these new sensations and learning to deal with the aches and pains of being much more active was at first pretty intense but in hindsight, it has been totally worth it. Keep it up guys, your body will thank you for taking care of it. Godspeed and God Bless!

Leo

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone-

Been a while since I posted but just dropping in to say hi. Excercise has been a godsend for me during this whole ordeal. Running/jogging helped me burn off excess energy and about a month ago I started crossfit. Feeling these new sensations and learning to deal with the aches and pains of being much more active was at first pretty intense but in hindsight, it has been totally worth it. Keep it up guys, your body will thank you for taking care of it. Godspeed and God Bless!

Leo

Nice job Leo.  Crossfit?  That sounds really hard.  I just stick with my low-impact aerobics, 3 times a week.

I just recently started jogging again every other day. I got so out of shape and lethargic on benzos and during withdrawal I just didn't feel capable of anything. I can only jog for 15 minutes for about a mile and that wears me out. But I can tell my stamina and muscles are already getting stronger, it's encouraging.

I also take long walks every day, nothing strenous there. I really enjoy the walks, but I have jogging is a real act of willpower. I don't have the excess nervous energy to burn off like some do. I'm not even particularly anxious, strangely, just tired all the time. I don't get as much sleep as I like, I keep waking up. Have any of you noticed at what point, if any, that exercise improves your sleep?

I'd like to join!

I used to be a 5 to 8 mile daily walker, upper body machine work outs, body/yoga daily stretches and daily 30 meditation.

40 days ago I was able to walk 9 full minutes outside. I was so proud of myself. By daily increasing my distance by just a few yards, I am now walking about 40 minutes daily, doing my 3 sets of body/yoga stretches and meditation for 30 minutes. NONE OF THIS IS EASY; it is so very hard to force myself to do these "good things" for myself. Especially the walking: I have difficulty breathing, my joints ache, my muscles ache, my body tingles and my fingers swell. Due to morning diarrhea, I can't walk too far from the house. But I struggle through the walk at a good pace and it measures a little over 2 miles. Once I am done with the walk, I feel so proud of myself and it is one of my small victories of the day. I am learning to ignore my symptoms, but sometimes it is so hard. My agoraphobia prevents me from going to the clubhouse to work out on the machines; hopefully that will happen again sometime in the future. Oh yeah, I did miss 3 days of walking due to hurricane Irma (USA, Florida)  :tickedoff:

Grapejuice,

RE: your sleep question. It depends on how extreme your insomnia is. I was one of the super extreme insomniacs. So early on sleep didn't help me sleep (nothing did) but it would make it more possible to have a less restless night where I could relax, meditate, whatever. As time has passed I've noticed I'm more likely to have a night with fewer wake ups that lasts longer if I exercise. I get pretty extreme with exercise and try for an hour and do some intense hiking. Very, very hard sometimes but worth it.

Pooh,

You're really coming along. I understand how hard it is to push yourself when you don't feel well but you're seeing the rewards. Be proud of yourself!

MT

Today went for an 8 mile cyclocross ride, did some weight lifting after and ending with some meditation for 20 mins tonight. Im weak and have lost muscle and weight in the past few months. Trying to regain my strength and stamina one day at a time.

Today went for an 8 mile cyclocross ride, did some weight lifting after and ending with some meditation for 20 mins tonight. Im weak and have lost muscle and weight in the past few months. Trying to regain my strength and stamina one day at a time.

I've been wondering how you're doing Two Wheels, since your hospital w/d experience.  Sounds good if you can do that much exercise?!?

So glad for you!  :thumbsup:

SS

Hello  :)

My muscles get very sore after exercise. Before, they became sore for the first few days after summer holidays, for example, but then they would become stronger and there was no more pain. Now it's like they never become stronger, and I'm always getting sore.

I'd planned to workout in the gym every day, but because of this situation, I can only do it every other day at best.

Can anything be done to improve this situation? I tried increasing protein intake after exercise, but didn't notice any difference. Thank you!