Exercise support group

[dr...]

translator, I look and feel 100. My mom, who will be 99 in December still lives alone on the farm i grew up on, cooks, gardens, drives. She looks younger than me and does better than I do in every way, so I need to get "crackin" and move. ha

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I know if is hard! Start off small. Any movement is better than nothing. I have been using “Gentle Yoga with Jane Adams” DVD. Good Luck!

I am joining this group too. I use to love going to the gym before this journey.Now, if I walk on the treadmill for 5 minutes my insides will jump all night. So, I am starting with walking to the mail box twice a day which is not far but better than nothing. I may add the 5 minute treadmill back next week. I am so scared of putting myself back in a set back. These meds have turned me into a big old scaredy cat :tickedoff:

Nightengale: I prefer, to avoid the mirror. What is this? Have not combed my hair, and the color of the face is yellow-green. I've probably never felt so horrible. I'm lucky to live alone, to see my face when you wake up, must be like a horror movie! :)

translator, we are all a "fine how do you do!" It's an old saying that my mother used to say. Living alone does make a difference when we look so awful. We are all in the same boat here. Last night when I could not sleep, I worried that I will have no brain left if and when I am finally healed.                                              'There is no point in losing sleep over it and I'm not, I just don't sleep for any reason.

This morning I walked 20 minutes. Yesterday, I walked 15. Lately, I think if I don't get up to walk, I just might fall back to sleep. Usually I don't, but this morning I did. That was a plus even though I slept for maybe 30 minutes. I was so happy I had slept, I got up and walked.

Keep smiling!

I would like to start a thread that supports our endeavors to try and help our recovery through exercise.  I know trying to get an exercise program going and staying with it has been very difficult for me.  I used to be able to exercise for much longer and felt much healthier.  Now, some days my body is so sore that it can be hard for me to walk a mile. 

I would like this thread to be an area where we can post what we did each day or comments about what challenges we may have had. With the large community here we can help each other out with strategies to help us build our bodies back to or even better than they used to be.

Lastly, I want anyone to post here and not worry about if they exercise enough.  Wether you can only walk to the kitchen or do a triathlon all are welcome.

You inspired me. Best money I ever spent was a Hugo Rollator. Now I make it a point to walk every hour for 5 minutes. Not wobbling.  It is great therapy to move!!!!!!

Joy, very good initiative! :)

I have now been lying on the bed, and the sofa, for 30 months. I feel like 100 years. But now, I have to start before anything happens. A few days ago I began, very carefully, with easier exercises. I could feel, how blood circulation started. It would be fun, if we could do this together!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, been a while since I dropped in here. Good to get motivated going, no doubt. Myself, it got so bad, that my back began giving out and nerves getting pinched in my spine. Doc sent to physical rehab after MRI's and it helped, albeit my need for pain meds. I spent 2 month's in physical rehab and did 2 more month's there on my own and am now in my second month at a club doing core lifting exercise's.

Since this all began, I got up to 363 lbs ! I saw a Dr.Oz diet and tried and it works amazingly well. One eats from 8am to 2pm and that's it for calorie consumption. I lost weight at an amazing rate of 25-26 lbs a month average and am now at 188 lbs. I hit the gym 3 times a week, or as long as my mind allows me too. Yesterday was my first day I've not been able to go in nearly 5 month's. I'm in a wave that I thought I was past. Am hoping tomorrow is a little better.

Go team go !!!

Hi All, been a while since I dropped in here. Good to get motivated going, no doubt. Myself, it got so bad, that my back began giving out and nerves getting pinched in my spine. Doc sent to physical rehab after MRI's and it helped, albeit my need for pain meds. I spent 2 month's in physical rehab and did 2 more month's there on my own and am now in my second month at a club doing core lifting exercise's.

Since this all began, I got up to 363 lbs ! I saw a Dr.Oz diet and tried and it works amazingly well. One eats from 8am to 2pm and that's it for calorie consumption. I lost weight at an amazing rate of 25-26 lbs a month average and am now at 188 lbs. I hit the gym 3 times a week, or as long as my mind allows me too. Yesterday was my first day I've not been able to go in nearly 5 month's. I'm in a wave that I thought I was past. Am hoping tomorrow is a little better.

Go team go !!!

Do you feel that this intermittent fasting is helping withdrawal/tapering? I have quite a bit of weight to lose, so sad I donated some of my smaller clothes last week that I think will never fit again. I do feel if I don't eat after dinner, i do better with sleep/less anxiety. Wondering what your experience has been.

I do try to work out but so much nausea last few months, I have been very inconsistent. also think I have done something to a bicep muscle on my right arm, not sure if I should see a doctor or just let it rest. Too much kickboxing with weights did that in.

Hey NJ, I believe the less food in my system helps with sleep. Then my body isn't having to digest anything. The cool thing about this diet is when you go to bed, your body goes into what's called starvation mode and really attacks the fat. I've had weight problems all my life and I've never lost weight so easy. But then, I'm single and don't have anyone else eating at regular times either. I've had a few friends comment about that not being easy with family dinner times.

I do not feel it interrupted anything in a bad way with my withdrawal. If anything, it induced more energy for me and helps me to go work out.

Sounds like you were getting pretty active there. I'm not done anything like kickboxing at all. I'm just lift weights and walk my dog's. Consistency is key though. Start with a little and add to it as long as you feel comfortable. I began in rehab at the hospital, twice a week doing 2 sets of 15 reps. I'm now 3 times a week and doing 3 sets of 15 reps and have gone from 6 exercises to 10, taking about 45-50 minutes.

It wasn't easy going this morning, but I pushed and the endorphins it created put me over the top....all in a good way.:)

• 2 weeks later...
[ed...]

Hi everyone, like many of you I'm sure I'm someone who loves to be active. Before being put on benzos I used to try and lift weights and run about 3.5 miles 4-5 times a week. Unfortunately since hitting tolerance I have not been able to handle high intensity workouts like this. Fortunately that led me to discover yoga which I actually love! However as I progress on my taper I'm finding it more and more difficult to even do yoga routines. I try to limit myself to just stretching but then I don't really feel any better as there isn't any release of endorphins. Even if I push myself I feel good in the moment and for a little while afterwards but ultimately it's not worth it as I get very revved up for the rest of the evening and night.

I was wondering if any of you have lower intensity routines that are easier on the central nervous system. Thanks!

Hey Fuzzy.  For most of my taper I was able to do a variety of Denise Austin's low impact cardio workouts.  Then in April, I took a break.  And now, I am having the hardest time getting back into it.  On Monday, I tried to do one of these workouts and then, I got slammed with a migraine in the afternoon and I've been more anxious and aggressive than ever for the rest of the week.  I read somewhere that your body wants to do the same thing everyday, so you should only increase of decrease a little bit, one way or the other.  I'm going to try that this week.  Maybe I'll just aim for 10 minutes of the workout instead of the whole 30. 

[ed...]
When I first started I was doing a fairly intense 30 minute Denise Austin DVD but I haven't been able to do that for quite a while at this point. I just use YouTube channels like Yoga With Adriene and MaliaYoga it's just so difficult to know what my limit is and not going any further otherwise I will get really revved up for at least the whole next day. I guess my CNS is just quite sensitive at this point.

Today I did 5 minutes of a DA workout video.  It feels silly to stop at 5, but I am serious about not overdoing it.  Hopefully, this will get easier.

Just wanted to update here, I have done 5 minutes of a workout, three times this week, with no ill effects.  I think I am going to continue this next week and maybe do it more days in the week.  I feel really silly only doing 5 minutes, but it has to be better than nothing, right? 

Just wanted to update here, I have done 5 minutes of a workout, three times this week, with no ill effects.  I think I am going to continue this next week and maybe do it more days in the week.  I feel really silly only doing 5 minutes, but it has to be better than nothing, right?

Absolutely! Every little bit helps.

Absolutely! Every little bit helps.

Thanks for the encouragement Edzo. 

Went a little farther on my walk yesterday (not even a quarter mile total) and paid for it last night and still paying today.My brain felt like it was moving around the whole night, Internal tremors worse.

Sorry PG, I have been bedridden again probably after overdoing it. About to try some step ups in my lounge room so I can just stop if necessary but my brain is already against the idea.

Wish I could know whether pushing some exercise might increase inflammation but lying down doesn’t feel like healing either.

Oh preachergirl, that sucks!!!  I've had that happen too.  I just go a little bit farther and I'm done for.  I have been doing no formal exercise for the last week because we have started packing for our move in two weeks.  There's just so much to do,  I have to be really careful with how I spend my energy so I do not get a migraine.

I just wanted to chime in that I am a big fan of Jessica Smith ... she has hundreds of free videos on youtube and extensive selection of dvds on amazon. I love her barefoot workouts which are low impact and usually just right for me now. Even up to a few weeks ago I could do an hour of intense workout ... no more, I am just sticking to 30 minutes a day now. My goal is just not to lose too much muscle tone as my weight continues to drop from the nausea.

GC: Good luck on your move!

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since anyone has posted here, so here I am now.

After 2 month's of physical therapy paid for by insurance and then 2 month's of follow up paid by me, I've now joined the gym. In my 4 month's of physical therapy I lost about 107 lbs. I'm almost to my goal weight of 180-185. Only about 5-10 lbs left now. At my highest a little over a year ago, I was 363 lbs ! I loved seeing those scales show 190 today.

Keep at it folks. Exercise, walk, lift, use rubber bands or exercise ball. Anything to get those endorphins going for you. I know how difficult it is, believe me. I also know what it's like to be on the flip side of that overweight coin too. If we an survive benzo withdrawal, for me losing weight became a bit easier. It's also helped to have two dog's who love going for walks. I love my two so much that I've rescued another that will be joining our family soon. He's about 2 hrs away and I had him pulled this afternoon and saved his life. Another walking buddy.

Hope everyone is doing well and always try to do your best. It's so well worth it.

That was a great story.  I know you are proud of yourself and should be!  And rescuing another dog, being a dog lover myself, makes me really like you ;). I just wanted to say if you found you liked physical therapy much better than you thought?  I didn't need to loose weight but my back, neck and sides were a mess.  As I got better at the stretches and exercises, I really enjoyed it and now do most of them every day at home.  I would recommend pt to anyone now :D:smitten:

• 1 month later...
I have cut back on my exercise at the gym but mainly cardio! It's been 4 months tapering and so many times I've wanted to give up but keep at it even jogging! I'm sick sometimes but I've found consistency the key where ever you want to be! O totally get some cant exercise! But benzos took alot from me and I wasn't going to let it win taking the gym and my exercise that had been my mental health support for 2 years prior to hitting tolerance. Stubborn I just couldn't give in

I have cut back on my exercise at the gym but mainly cardio! It's been 4 months tapering and so many times I've wanted to give up but keep at it even jogging! I'm sick sometimes but I've found consistency the key where ever you want to be! O totally get some cant exercise! But benzos took alot from me and I wasn't going to let it win taking the gym and my exercise that had been my mental health support for 2 years prior to hitting tolerance. Stubborn I just couldn't give in

That's an awesome attitude and achievement.  It is absolutely wrenching for me to be unable to exercise.  I was competative in  Brazilian JJ and an avid downhill mountainbiker.  Sadly,  trying to continue exercising has done me much more harm than good.  How ironic.

-RST

That's an awesome attitude and achievement.  It is absolutely wrenching for me to be unable to exercise.  I was competative in  Brazilian JJ and an avid downhill mountainbiker.  Sadly,  trying to continue exercising has done me much more harm than good.  How ironic.

-RST

RST i gotta say best name ive heard on here...  I LOLd pretty damn hard. Bravo son!