Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Exercise support group

[dr...]

Magnesi,

Are your muscles sore in the way they get when they've had a good workout, or are they sore as in they've been over-extended or "pulled" or are they achey like when you have the flu?  I'm always feeling like I have muscle tightness but I rarely feel sore from a good workout.  Since midway through my taper, my muscles became tighter and I felt more discomfort in them and that hasn't changed at 8 months off of Klonopin.  I was hoping it was due to withdrawal and would improve, but it hasn't.

My biggest issue now with working out is that I'm tired and weaker overall.  I'm not able to lift as much as I did 5 months ago, and I'm too tired to go in every day or work out with intensity.  It's a bummer.  My plan is to keep pushing myself.  I was so tired today I didn't want to do anything but I went and did a workout and it helped my energy.  The next time I think I'm too tired, I'm going to push myself to try and do something because I've never regretted a workout once, but I've regretted not going many times.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here ! I feel so tired when i have to leave to class. i have to give myself a kick in the but to go. But i already teach half an hour of zumba now and following a few songs two. I teach together with someone else. She starts and i follow. That is enough for me, caus teaching asks more energy than following. I Always feel great after class. Also teaching one hour and a half of toddler dance.

Sunday,

I feel sore like after a good workout, with the difference that for "normal people" this feeling goes away if they keep on working out regularly because muscles get stronger, while in my case muscles don't ever seem to get stonger anymore and, so, I Just keep on getting sore. The other day I was offered a physical evaluation at the gym and, while other things like flexibility were good, strenght was very bad for my age group. This is weird because I workout regularly. So, I guess it's from the benzo :(. It never cesses to amaze me how that little pill can do so much damage!

I think you do well in keep on pushing yourself :) I do the same but I also wonder to which point can we do that safely. A lot of people here say that strenuous exercise is bad for the healing process. 

All the best!

Magnesi,

Are your muscles sore in the way they get when they've had a good workout, or are they sore as in they've been over-extended or "pulled" or are they achey like when you have the flu?  I'm always feeling like I have muscle tightness but I rarely feel sore from a good workout.  Since midway through my taper, my muscles became tighter and I felt more discomfort in them and that hasn't changed at 8 months off of Klonopin.  I was hoping it was due to withdrawal and would improve, but it hasn't.

My biggest issue now with working out is that I'm tired and weaker overall.  I'm not able to lift as much as I did 5 months ago, and I'm too tired to go in every day or work out with intensity.  It's a bummer.  My plan is to keep pushing myself.  I was so tired today I didn't want to do anything but I went and did a workout and it helped my energy.  The next time I think I'm too tired, I'm going to push myself to try and do something because I've never regretted a workout once, but I've regretted not going many times.

Hi Sunday, this describes me too. I jumped just three days before you in fact. I just started jogging again this past month since the weather cooled off. My legs were sore after my first run, but now they're just tight all the time rather than sore. And I feel tired constantly too. I can barely run a mile, but I still see improvement from when I started, I just don't feel great. What kind of workout gives you energy? All I do is jog every couple days, with some occasional light yoga. I'm not sure how much of my fatigue is due to benzos vs just being out of shape.

Hey gang,

Quick question please  - I manage to ride my stationary bike through out the past 4 years of tapering. Well - it certainly is not the exercise I used to do, but it is all I can manage. Even with riding daily 30-45 minutes or walking- I have noticed (about 2 years ago) my legs giggle and look like mush.

I was wondering if any of you have noticed the way your muscles look ??? Is this what they call the jelly legs or I have  aged 20+ years in 2 years?  thx :smitten:

Can amino acid tablets give insomnia? I was sleeping alright for a few weeks then wham! Tonight terrible insomnia...the only thing different I did was take two amino acid pills. Trying to work out again....wd has been making me weak.

Hey gang,

Quick question please  - I manage to ride my stationary bike through out the past 4 years of tapering. Well - it certainly is not the exercise I used to do, but it is all I can manage. Even with riding daily 30-45 minutes or walking- I have noticed (about 2 years ago) my legs giggle and look like mush.

I was wondering if any of you have noticed the way your muscles look ??? Is this what they call the jelly legs or I have  aged 20+ years in 2 years?  thx :smitten:

Hi Kasey,

I'm not sure if this is "a thing" but I have heard some buddies complain about sagging. I believe to have that myself although I do not trust my own judgement with regards to the way I look just now. It is however different from "jelly legs" which is more of a sensation of weakness. Or so I believe. Keep exercising if you can, take good care of yourself and hopefully a lot will get better as you get your health back!! Drink plenty water!!  ;)

Hugs  :smitten:

Julia x

Magnesi,

Hi Sunday, this describes me too. I jumped just three days before you in fact. I just started jogging again this past month since the weather cooled off. My legs were sore after my first run, but now they're just tight all the time rather than sore. And I feel tired constantly too. I can barely run a mile, but I still see improvement from when I started, I just don't feel great. What kind of workout gives you energy? All I do is jog every couple days, with some occasional light yoga. I'm not sure how much of my fatigue is due to benzos vs just being

out of shape.

Grapejuice,

Happy month 9!  I'm having a rough patch right now, I'm really tired and I'm struggling at every work out. I'm pretty sure my fatigue and weakness are caused by stress combined with recovery.  Mostly stress though.  I'm feeling pretty exhausted and weak, much more so than a month ago, and the only difference is work.  I was off during the summer, and even though I was tired, I had a lot of time to relax and rest, so it wasn't as bad.  I play tennis, did standup paddleboard in summer, golf, and

I lift weights, and I do HIIT, and spin class. I cannot do steady state cardio because it makes me feel terrible, but I think yoga is very good if you enjoy it.  I was just telling someone that I hate yoga but I know it's good for me so I should go back to it.  If the instructor tries to be a therapist, is too spiritual or too bright and bouncy, I just cannot.  I like a positive and laid back practice that doesn't strive for perfection and takes itself too seriously.

Everyone:  Keep moving forward, don't beat yourself up, remember you're much stronger than you think, and always make an effort because you can stop or leave if it's not working for you (unless you really cannot find your get up and go  ;)).  Take good care!

Cool thread!! I never noticed it before, but then again, I've only gone to one thread mostly and very rarely, at that. It's the DLMT thread started by my buddy Sharky. I like this exercise thread because exercise has saved my life more than a few times in the past. I used to run marathons and ultra marathons too, but the benzo (and countless cocktails over the years) stopped that in addition to a bad car accident and now two surgeries on my back as a result. I've been tapering for well over two years and it's been tough. I used to love exercise so much, but now it's really difficult due to fatigue. Also, I was told that my adrenals have been blasted (no surprise there), and that intense exercise makes adrenal fatigue even worse and harder to heal. Still, I relate exercise to positive times in my life and like to think that it still plays a roll in life. I miss loving it!! Anyway, just a short intro. Hope to get to know you all.

Take care!

Jeff

Can amino acid tablets give insomnia? I was sleeping alright for a few weeks then wham! Tonight terrible insomnia...the only thing different I did was take two amino acid pills. Trying to work out again....wd has been making me weak.

For what it's worth, aa tablets used to eat my lunch and keep me up at night! Learned that lesson fast. Never again, but I know that every body out there is different.

See ya!

Jeff

Hey gang,

Hi Kasey,

I'm not sure if this is "a thing" but I have heard some buddies complain about sagging. I believe to have that myself although I do not trust my own judgement with regards to the way I look just now. It is however different from "jelly legs" which is more of a sensation of weakness. Or so I believe. Keep exercising if you can, take good care of yourself and hopefully a lot will get better as you get your health back!! Drink plenty water!!  ;)

Hugs  :smitten:

Julia x

I think it's harder to make muscles during withdrawal.  Not necessarily on benzos, but during withdrawal specifically.  I don't know why, but this has been my experience. 

Good morning from Central Florida,

I did my 3 mile walk in the rain today! What a wonderful experience to be able to walk, enjoy the rain smell and ignore my aches, pains, and other sxs symptoms. I couldn't get out of bed 3 months ago. Yea for me :)

Smiles (not tears) and rain from Pooh: have a good day everyone in BB land  :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone out there experienced devastating setbacks due to exercise?  I am quite convinced my HPA axis gets deregulated from exercise stress.  It's happened 3 times over the last 6 months where I am feeling somewhat functional and my taper  (gabapentin) is going OK.  So, I get a little exercise and then I'm knocked into a terrible increase in symptoms which essentially puts me on my back for 2 weeks. 

The latest episode saw me go for a bike ride where I worked up just a little sweat.  About half an hour after completing it, I felt like I was drunk, a weird cog-fog more intense than ever before.  Soon thereafter, anxiety spiked (which isn't normally very troublesome for me).  Over the next 16 days things have progressively gotten incredibly painful, much worse than ever before in terms of post-exercise syndrome.  My body feels on fire.  I finally updosed  because of the intensity of the physical pain and that has muted the agony somewhat, but it's still there and I have not stabilized yet.  My bike ride took place on October

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-RST

Absolutely! I do that..... I road my bike 7 days in a row, then went into this horrendous wave for the past 9 days. I had intensified my normal workout on the bike and it cost me dearly. So i will allow my body to settle down and hope to return to a gentle riding routine again, until I am able to handle a tougher workout. I wish you the best of luck. :smitten:

Absolutely! I do that..... I road my bike 7 days in a row, then went into this horrendous wave for the past 9 days. I had intensified my normal workout on the bike and it cost me dearly. So i will allow my body to settle down and hope to return to a gentle riding routine again, until I am able to handle a tougher workout. I wish you the best of luck. :smitten:

Good luck with yours resolving soon, too. 

I'm devestated in that I had to updose.  My worst symptom is burning pain and I for 14 days straight it felt like I was on fire.  Insomnia due to pain, intense suffering.  I am quite down about having updosed as I was struggling downward and getting to my lowest dose so far has been hard work.  Aaaaaggghhhhhhhh.  I'm 16 days from my ride and still in pretty rough shape despite the updose.

Hang in there!

-RST

Has anyone out there experienced devastating setbacks due to exercise?  I am quite convinced my HPA axis gets deregulated from exercise stress.  It's happened 3 times over the last 6 months where I am feeling somewhat functional and my taper  (gabapentin) is going OK.  So, I get a little exercise and then I'm knocked into a terrible increase in symptoms which essentially puts me on my back for 2 weeks. 

The latest episode saw me go for a bike ride where I worked up just a little sweat.  About half an hour after completing it, I felt like I was drunk, a weird cog-fog more intense than ever before.  Soon thereafter, anxiety spiked (which isn't normally very troublesome for me).  Over the next 16 days things have progressively gotten incredibly painful, much worse than ever before in terms of post-exercise syndrome.  My body feels on fire.  I finally updosed  because of the intensity of the physical pain and that has muted the agony somewhat, but it's still there and I have not stabilized yet.  My bike ride took place on October

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-RST

There's a lot of info on this under the chewing the Fat Section The thread Can anyone explain this to a layperson....

Lots of research and info.

Good stuff to know!

SS

Am new in this thread, just wanted to chime in and post my recent exercise feats

I have now walked further than just my block fiveish times as of recently. The block has been my limit for the last 6 or so months so its made me feel great to be able to go further. I even ran a little which I haven't done in ages. I also didn't experience much anxiety or fatigue and felt good a few of the times which is huge. Ive definitely noticed it benefiting me so am trying to keep it up when I can =)))

Am new in this thread, just wanted to chime in and post my recent exercise feats

I have now walked further than just my block fiveish times as of recently. The block has been my limit for the last 6 or so months so its made me feel great to be able to go further. I even ran a little which I haven't done in ages. I also didn't experience much anxiety or fatigue and felt good a few of the times which is huge. Ive definitely noticed it benefiting me so am trying to keep it up when I can =)))

Great news.  I am so happy for you that exercise gives you some positive benefit.  Outstanding.  Isn't it bizarre how some of us are walloped by exercise while others aren't.  I really think it means some of us have messed up Hypothalmus-Pituitary-Adrenal systems in addition to withdrawal while others don't.  Who knows?  Anyway, the good news is it is seems to be good for you.  If I may be so bold, may I suggest to just be cautious with pushing yourself.  I ramped-up my exercise minimally with more walking and 1 bike ride over a 10 day period and it got to be too much and caused me to crash severely.  So, I'd just say ramp-up slowly and incrementally and don't push yourself into the aerobic range where your heart rate gets elevated too much, especially since it's been 6 months since you've been able to walk much.  Still, FANTASTIC NEWS.

All the best,

-RST

Thanks a lot realslimtaper. Great advise. I will definately work it up slowly. Im being extra cautious with the running as my heart rate definately increases a lot. I used to always push myself when it came to running but i wont be doing that again unless i return to much much better health. Im bot sure it would be so great for you then anyway.

Hi, this is a great idea. I happen to be a personal trainer. I'm 13 months out from taking a small dose of xanax for a year. I have never wished so badly that I had never taken this route for anxiety. Who knew, right. I have had every WD on the list except for some of the mental one and the ringing in your ears. What a battle everyday is. Just when I think I'm getting better, something will change and it will be a whole new set of symptoms. Exercise, which as stated, is very beneficial. It's what you can do, and when you can do it. Walking when your legs seem to heavy, lifting when you have pain already. Just get started. If you need encouragement, get a personal trainer and let them know what you are enduring. Start very slowly, but keep constant and steady. I'm hear for any help you need. Best to all.

Hi, this is a great idea. I happen to be a personal trainer. I'm 13 months out from taking a small dose of xanax for a year. I have never wished so badly that I had never taken this route for anxiety. Who knew, right. I have had every WD on the list except for some of the mental one and the ringing in your ears. What a battle everyday is. Just when I think I'm getting better, something will change and it will be a whole new set of symptoms. Exercise, which as stated, is very beneficial. It's what you can do, and when you can do it. Walking when your legs seem to heavy, lifting when you have pain already. Just get started. If you need encouragement, get a personal trainer and let them know what you are enduring. Start very slowly, but keep constant and steady. I'm hear for any help you need. Best to all.

I love your enthusiasm and positivity.  There is just one thing to be careful of.  Some of us seem to have HPA axis disregulation as a function of exercise.  This really really messes with a taper and post-withdrawal recovery.  So, it's a double-edged sword.  I normally am a downhill mountain biker and practice brazillian jiu jitsu and too much exercise set me back 6 months.

-RST

I have visited benzo buddies numerous times in the past 4 years. I decided to join and this is my first post. I'm nearly 49 months free of klonopin. I was taking 1 mg a day for approximately 3 months. My doctor advised me to reduce my dosage .25 mg every 3 days. Without knowing any better I followed her instructions. My acute withdrawal was horrific......I just thought this was the normal course that everyone went through to be free of this poison. I now know better.  For the most part I've been functional for the past 4 years with periodic setbacks. I can attribute these setbacks to times when I've physically pushed myself too much. Generally these setbacks, or waves, would last 2 weeks. however, I currently find myself in a 2 month wave that was brought on again by too much physical activity (I like to run and lift weights). In retrospect I realize I was ignoring warning signs, primarily frequent headaches. The result is a bad, enduring wave. I was hesitant to post this as I feel fortunate that I have had an easier road than many (I was never confined to bed or housebound). My major setbacks have usually been self inflicted in the form of too much exercise. Even so, it is inconceivable to me that after 4 years off this poison, I'm still having such a difficult time. I don't know why this wave has been exceptionally long. Can anyone in this group relate?