Exercise support group

[dr...]

Way to go Soberhope...Keep pushing!!  Love to hear about healing.  Am no where close to where you are but my day is also coming.  Off to do my Tai chi.  Doesn't sound like much but I could barely walk.  Grateful.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

That is awesome DoveLuv!!

I would love to try Tai Chi...I honestly think all exercise heals us when we taper, when we jump, while we recover.

What I do is "taper up" my workouts and add a little more every day....and it helps, A LOT.

You’re very lucky you can exercise Sober. If only I could sleep when I exercise I totally would. Earlier in my taper I had the same result as you  from sweating and it helped me so much. Now it only makes me more anxious, revved up and awake all night. I look forward to getting back to the old me for sure. What a wild ride.

• 4 weeks later...
did anyone on here have exercise intolerance and how long did it last?  I can't exercise.  I guess I probably could but i tried in the beginning and it made me worse.

• 2 weeks later...
This is a great thread. I rode my stationary bike for 6 minutes this morning. Going to try to do more everyday. Some days I can’t walk to the mailbox. Baby steps. George

Congrats Greencup,

wow,  a coincidence or what?.  I too came to this thread to actually write that I started tolerating exercise much better about 4 weeks ago (5 months post withdrawal) and will be hitting 6 months in 4 days.  No more of vibrations, induced insomnia, extreme anxiety and de-realization for days post exercise.  I just had to wait for a few weeks before announcing to make sure I don't make a fool out of myself.  I now exercise 3 times a week on average 1.5 - 2 hours of cardio, weight lifting, strengthening, agility, and balance exercise because I've realized how much I lost stamina, strength and balance.  Starting too feel more optimistic about my journey!!

Hi I was wondering if  zoloft could have caused you the induced insomnia as its a  stimulating AD while tapering  klonopin?

did anyone on here have exercise intolerance and how long did it last?  I can't exercise.  I guess I probably could but i tried in the beginning and it made me worse.

Yes, I did.  April of 2018, I was tapering and wow, I just could NOT exercise anymore without feeling awful, and triggering migraines later in the day.  I think it was connected to my very very tight shoulder and neck muscles, as that's where my headaches seem to come from.  Anyways, I did not exercise from April- January on any regular basis.  I don't remember exactly when I started back in, but I started with just 5 minutes a day, a few days a week, and just built up from there.  I can now do a 30 minutes workout and it seems to affect me in a pretty good way.  I'm not able to do it every time for the full 30 minutes and not everyday yet, but I'm getting there. 

Yes, I did.  April of 2018, I was tapering and wow, I just could NOT exercise anymore without feeling awful, and triggering migraines later in the day.  I think it was connected to my very very tight shoulder and neck muscles, as that's where my headaches seem to come from.  Anyways, I did not exercise from April- January on any regular basis.  I don't remember exactly when I started back in, but I started with just 5 minutes a day, a few days a week, and just built up from there.  I can now do a 30 minutes workout and it seems to affect me in a pretty good way.  I'm not able to do it every time for the full 30 minutes and not everyday yet, but I'm getting there.

I'm doing some stretching and meditation now, as that is about all I can do but I guess it's a start.  Thank you for the reply :)

• 1 month later...
Exercise is one of my saving graces, Im thankful that I have been able to work out throughtout the entire process, but exercise has always been part of my life and a tool used to help with anxiety. Some days I end up crying on my yoga matt, but for me, and I know we are all different, exercise always helps me. If I feel like I cant exercise I put on calming music and stretch.

Hey everybody, are there any crossfitters here? I’ve been doing CF during my entire wd and sometimes can’t decide whether it’s hurtung or helping. It did get me in really good shape, I made some great friends, and it’s a great distraction. But I know I’ve overdone it some days. My main symptoms are extreme fatigue and insomnia, so CF can be insanely difficult sometimes - probably should stay home those days, but I love it... I did slow down with it a few months back, but didn’t really see any change, so I went back full force. I don’t know, sometimes I think a jog in the woods would be better for my healing instead of deadlifts and burpees as fast as I can do them. Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there. I finally joined BB after reading it for years.

I got a YMCA membership a few weeks ago and resolved to make the most out of it. I've been going 3 times a week for the fitness center and different classes. Until this point, I was only able to do gentle cardio - mostly long walks. Now I'm doing weights and all of it. Progress!

Gwinna

Thinking about scaling back on the intensity of exercise for a month. Anybody else have an opinion on this? I just read the HPA axis sticky and it made me concerned that I’m doing more harm than good with intense workouts.

• 2 weeks later...

Exercise is my cure ! It helps again my muscle tightness, my breathing issues, fatigue and feelgood in general. Now it's a holiday i only go to Zumba once a week and 3 dance camps with kids. but during the year i attend 1 Zumba class and teach  7 hours of kids dance a week. I feel so much better after and being with kids makes me smile and connect with other people. But i think when your body was used to working out before, it also needs it now and if it didn't you should go for one step at a time.

Anybody sill active on this thread? I’ve recently decided to stop the extreme exercise I was doing. I had a cortisol test done and showed my cortisol as being out of whack. I’m going to do some light lifting with kettlebells and body weight exercises. Anybody have an opinion on the exercise/cortisol connection? How hard do you workout? What’s too hard?

I’m over five years off and I am now able to walk at a good clip and push it with hills.  Get anywhere from 2-4 miles in most days.  At times (like now) my body acts up and I have to pull back on pace and distance. The more I exercise the better my body manages cortisol.  If you can handle the exercise physically pushing yourself when you can is very helpful as your body learns how to process the cortisol better as time goes by. It’s tough sledding though as we all know cortisol can make us feel like crap and panicky.

• 3 weeks later...

hi everyone, I am new in this support group. I am currently exercising to help with my recovery. I was dealing with stifness and muscle weakness a few months ago (like 4). I started to feel better in that aspect a month ago and decided to give the gym a shot. I am very happy with the way exercise has helped me, but the thoughts in my head mess with my happiness sometimes and I think at the end of my taper something bad will happen to my muscles again and that I won't be able to exercise (catastrophic thoughts) (or maybe real??)

I am trying to stay positive and I try to think that (maybe) my body will "get used" to exercising and it won't fail me in the  musculoeskeletical aspect again....

I just try to stay positive, I know exercise helps a lot to relieve stress...but to be honest I don't know  A LOT of how it works in taper...

I'm joining the group :)

much love everyone

Blossom

Hey everybody, are there any crossfitters here? I’ve been doing CF during my entire wd and sometimes can’t decide whether it’s hurtung or helping. It did get me in really good shape, I made some great friends, and it’s a great distraction. But I know I’ve overdone it some days. My main symptoms are extreme fatigue and insomnia, so CF can be insanely difficult sometimes - probably should stay home those days, but I love it... I did slow down with it a few months back, but didn’t really see any change, so I went back full force. I don’t know, sometimes I think a jog in the woods would be better for my healing instead of deadlifts and burpees as fast as I can do them. Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there. I finally joined BB after reading it for years.

Hi, I am not a crossfitter BUT! I used to exercise kind of hard before the taper started...my flexibility is very bad because of the taper.. I injured myself because of that. My muscles are just not the way they used to be...

I recommend just do a normal workout without having to push yourself with a timer..I think It would be much more enjoyable and comfortable in the state that our bodies are

anyway, just my opinion

hugs

blossom

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I used to exercise 3-4 days a week in group classes. HIIT, Boxing, Core class, you name it, I did it. I topped my class in PB's and won a few prizes. Before this, I went to PT sessions 3 times a week, but quit that due to money issues.

Now I'm lucky to go once or twice a month for 30 minutes at a time and I go during a "window".  :crazy:

I do have a 40kg armbar and I do squats every day at home though. Trying to build myself back up again.

Dave.  8)

Crowman,

I’ve lifted all through withdrawal. I’m not sure if I overdid it though. Mostly CrossFit. I’ve been taking breaks lately since my cortisol tested high. I miss going all out in the gym. I do kettlebell and body weight stuff at home.

Crowman,

I’ve lifted all through withdrawal. I’m not sure if I overdid it though. Mostly CrossFit. I’ve been taking breaks lately since my cortisol tested high. I miss going all out in the gym. I do kettlebell and body weight stuff at home.

I'm amazed you can do CrossFit during withdrawals. Phew! I tip my hat to you.

Dave.  8)

guys, is it normal to get mild headaches after exercising? it's not that bad. I rather exercise, but I don't want to think something bad is happening, only positive thoughts :)

Blossom

guys, is it normal to get mild headaches after exercising? it's not that bad. I rather exercise, but I don't want to think something bad is happening, only positive thoughts :)

Blossom

Hey Blossom,

Yes this is normal. Because blood is pumping through damaged GABA receptors throughout your body, you can experience all sorts of weird sensations if you exercise, rotten headaches and muscle spasms being a couple. It's kind of like putting your head upside-down for too long. Blood rushes to the head. I sweated about a litre of fluid on the bike/stair machine. It's best to ease yourself back into your routine, rather than go all out and risk crashing the CNS.

Dave.  8)

Blossom

Hey Blossom,

Yes this is normal. Because blood is pumping through damaged GABA receptors throughout your body, you can experience all sorts of weird sensations if you exercise, rotten headaches and muscle spasms being a couple. It's kind of like putting your head upside-down for too long. Blood rushes to the head. I sweated about a litre of fluid on the bike/stair machine. It's best to ease yourself back into your routine, rather than go all out and risk crashing the CNS.

Dave.  8)

Thanks Dave!!! I get muscle spasms also, very informative :) thank you!!!

Blossom

Hey Blossom,

Dave.  8)

Thanks Dave!!! I get muscle spasms also, very informative :) thank you!!!

Hey Blossom,

Not a problem! Both Ashton and the Reconnexion website in Australia cite that:

"Resuming your usual sporting activities is permissable, but be aware that muscle spasms can occur, and is often a sign of withdrawal."

At the moment, I do Yoga once or twice a week, and light weights, as well as weights at home.

A good app I use is the 7-minute HIIT workout. You can pace yourself and the exercises use body weight.

All the best,

Dave.  8)

• Popular Now