Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Exercise support group

[dr...]

I have visited benzo buddies numerous times in the past 4 years. I decided to join and this is my first post. I'm nearly 49 months free of klonopin. I was taking 1 mg a day for approximately 3 months. My doctor advised me to reduce my dosage .25 mg every 3 days. Without knowing any better I followed her instructions. My acute withdrawal was horrific......I just thought this was the normal course that everyone went through to be free of this poison. I now know better.  For the most part I've been functional for the past 4 years with periodic setbacks. I can attribute these setbacks to times when I've physically pushed myself too much. Generally these setbacks, or waves, would last 2 weeks. however, I currently find myself in a 2 month wave that was brought on again by too much physical activity (I like to run and lift weights). In retrospect I realize I was ignoring warning signs, primarily frequent headaches. The result is a bad, enduring wave. I was hesitant to post this as I feel fortunate that I have had an easier road than many (I was never confined to bed or housebound). My major setbacks have usually been self inflicted in the form of too much exercise. Even so, it is inconceivable to me that after 4 years off this poison, I'm still having such a difficult time. I don't know why this wave has been exceptionally long. Can anyone in this group relate?

I think you are looking at the issue of HPA-Axis disregulation.  This is something that seems to be a CNS issue for some of us that influences and is influenced by benzo withdrawal.  I now know I had problems with HPA-Axis disregulation before I took benzos for sleep.  Part of the reason my sleep was bad was due to HPA-Axis disregulation (HPAD).  The HPA has a huge role to play in hormone management.  No wonder sleep is affected.  Severe HPAD can feel just like benzo WD in that it produces insomnia, severe fatigue, nausea, food aversion and other symptoms.  It is compounded by stress and then induces further issues with respect to the excitatory and calming neurotransmitters.  People studying HPAD use exercise (especially aerobic) as a method to stress the HPA Axis and look at the neurological effects (in healthy subjects).

So.  What to do?  This is a challenging question, especially since you are so long past your jump.  I would say you should back off all intense exercise for a year and merely do maintenance exercise to keep yourself healthy.  That is to say, lots of walking at a pace that does not put you into the aerobic range.  If you can afford it, get a heart monitor or one of those sport watches that give you real-time data on what your heart is doing.  That way you won't go into the aerobic range accidentally.  Before benzos, I had a terrible experience with HPAD and it took me over a year to recover.  I did not understand at the time but now I do.  Everytime I did something physical it got severely worse and no doctor had any idea.  Eventually, I just took it really easy for a year and things improved month by month. 

Once I felt strong enough, I introduced more exercise and then progressively more and more until I was back to my original athleticism doing brazillian jiu jitsu and mountain biking.  Then, work stress and other issues caused a return to insomnia and HPAD, but again, I had no idea of the role of exercise as a potential problem in itself.  My only knowledge of exercise is that it's good for you!!!  It is complicated, but I now see my 3 times per week intense jiu jitsu were the worst nights of sleep and progressively more and more benzo-like withdrawal symptoms appeared and went away.

Recently, I just started walking again, and then went for an easy bike ride.  That threw me into a severe wave as I've been tapering gabapentin  for quite some time too.  For the last month I've been in a lot of discomfort, sadly I even updosed my gabapentin from 100mg per day to 180mg per day.  At that dose, I'm somewhat functional but I'll have to continue to taper eventually and I'm in a real dilemma. 

So, yeah, exercise can be really strange in how it affects some of us. 

-RST

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much for the time and care in responding to my post!  I'll have to familiarize myself on HPAD. What little I have read on this subject, I see that fatigue is a major symptom.  I wouldn't say fatigue is a factor at all with me and I'm sleeping rather well. I just feel crummy.  Do you still think this could be HPAD?  I'd like to point out that I started running consistently (3 times a week) about 3 months after "jumping".  I was slower and not running as far but felt relatively good considering my withdrawal.  Most of my workouts were on a treadmill.  This year, I decided to move my runs back outside as I knew this would be a better workout. I felt fair on most of these runs but realized that I was working harder than on a treadmill (especially in the heat of the summer). By mid-summer I was getting regular headaches after my runs.  At this point I should have backed off (not in my nature!)  My family took a trip out west and I believe that's where my current problems really started. We did a lot of hiking, I biked one day and ran one day.  After returning home, my runs were just  not the same.  Now, I haven't had a workout for 2 months. I have the burning, twitching, tingling, jelly legs, nausea, some anxiety and cog fog. Perhaps I should have read about HPAD before writing this, but I'm hoping it's just an extra long wave rather than a new issue!  I think after this episode, I'll listen to my husband and ease off on my workouts! 

Hey BB's

I can say for sure that too much excercise can indeed set you back as it happened to me. I was in a great place, happy, able to travel and not have an ounce of anxiety. I started crossfit to test myself and it was too much too fast and too soon.

I started to feel wierd about a week after and since then I have not returned. I never thought it would have thrown me off as I jogged occasionally but wow CF was intense and for some odd reason I am having new WD stuff pop up again.

I hope to slowly crawl back to how I was before CF and I have certainly learned my lesson. WD sucks, I will stick to running and light weight traning. I am sure CF is great for some but not for me unfortunately.

Warm regards,

Leo

I can certainly relate. I tried to hold a plank for 1 minute and that caused a major setback. Anything that engages many muscle groups or large muscle groups (quads, glutes etc.)  sets me back. Cross fit would do me in.

It's been interesting reading everyone's posts here. I usually don't get around BB's much at all except for the daily micro taper thread that a friend started. Anyway, I introduced myself on this exercise thread some time ago. I won't go through it again, but I can relate to your running/exercise challenges. I ran marathons and ultra marathons for years. They were my saving grace for dealing with the tolerance withdrawals that I didn't even know I had. I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. So, I ran more and more (passed up Forest). It was nuts. I know that's how I blew out my adrenals. Lately, I exercised fairly hard on Fridays, and then I was down for the count by Saturday morning. I backed that way down and had the sx drop way down as well. I was on a ton of meds for years (see profile below), and now I'm trying my hand at getting off the last med, klonopin. It's been a miserable 2 1/2 years, but I'm getting there. Veeeerrryyy slowly. I'm so sensitive to literally anything, so any cut hurts. Exercise definitely lights up the adrenals and sx!! It's a bummer to lose that, but gotta do it. The car wreck and two surgeries on the back haven't helped either. I'm sure my HPAD was killed because a functional med doc had me do the cortisol test, etc. It was a mess. We tried a few things to help out, but my body was/is just too sensitive to any supplement or whatever. I finally focused on real food, plenty of good fats, purified and filtered water, coffee enemas, meditation, and avoiding killer anxiety-provoking situations. Things are better, but still challenging.

My best to all!! We'll be in touch.

Jeff

Five days ago I added 20 minutes of easy floor exercises to my almost-daily treadmill walk of .8 mile in 25 minutes to a 45-minute program recommended by a book I have.  I know this isn't much by the standards of many of you, but it is helping my Valium reduction.  I increased my daily micro-tapering to .025 today, and while I know it hasn't been long enough yet, I do know that I have felt no added stress today.

Just wanted to join this group.  I will read more of your posts.

Five days ago I added 20 minutes of easy floor exercises to my almost-daily treadmill walk of .8 mile in 25 minutes to a 45-minute program recommended by a book I have.  I know this isn't much by the standards of many of you, but it is helping my Valium reduction.  I increased my daily micro-tapering to .025 today, and while I know it hasn't been long enough yet, I do know that I have felt no added stress today.

Just wanted to join this group.  I will read more of your posts.

Wow that's great.  A long slow taper and a gradual increase in exercise!  i know i always feel better the day after a long walk in the woods.  Don't have a regular regimen as .... well  I don't right now  :D.... Inspiring though!

:smitten: :smitten:

SS

Hello all...I started this thread way back when and thought I'd be back to exercising by now but benzos always keep giving.  I have felt mostly good lately and hardly any anxiety or adrenaline surges. I still have muscle pain and tightness, some eye pain, and exercise intolerance but all are way better than even six months ago.  I did a mild walk which ended up in me pushing a stroller up a steep hill.  Pushed myself harder than any time in memory during this nightmare.  Well it's been two days and I have had surges and increased anxiety symptoms I didn't miss.  The positive thing is I know they won't last as long this time.  Maybe another day or so but apparently it's just not my time yet to exercise hard again. 

Hello all...I started this thread way back when and thought I'd be back to exercising by now but benzos always keep giving.  I have felt mostly good lately and hardly any anxiety or adrenaline surges. I still have muscle pain and tightness, some eye pain, and exercise intolerance but all are way better than even six months ago.  I did a mild walk which ended up in me pushing a stroller up a steep hill.  Pushed myself harder than any time in memory during this nightmare.  Well it's been two days and I have had surges and increased anxiety symptoms I didn't miss.  The positive thing is I know they won't last as long this time.  Maybe another day or so but apparently it's just not my time yet to exercise hard again.

Hi Drew!

Thanks for starting this thread two and a half years ago!! It is still going strong today and helping Buddies  :thumbsup:

I'm sorry you are still sensitive to working out but thankfully you too can testify that we all do heal  :thumbsup:

...and you won't have to pace yourself forever  :thumbsup:

Best wishes!

Julz

Hi folks-

For thr first time since this while wd ordeal resurfaced I took a  quick 1.5 jog. I felt great!

Listening to music and just concentrating on my breathing was a great way to take my mind away from WD. I hate that this thing has returned but the moments where everything is good feels wonderful.

I wish all of you continued healing and will definitley go for another jof tomorrow. Updates will follow.

Leo

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting thread, I would like to join this group, hope that's ok.

I haven't exercised in over a month because it revved up my symptoms.  But my body has been craving physical activity.  So I exercised yesterday for one hour (moderate cardio, brisk walk and jogging) for the first time in over a month.  Did the same again today.  I wanted to see how I'll feel afterwards.  They say that exercise helps create new brain cells and heal from benzos more efficiently.  Didn't feel so good right after.  But after 2-3 hours, the body calmed down a little, and I started to feel some relief/endorphins.  Not easy to do this though, it's tough both mentally and physically.  So, I've been exercising now for two days in a row after a month's break.  Will continue exercising for next several days as an experiment to see if there's any positive effect on the mind/body.  So far I don't feel any lasting negative impact on my symptoms, except for some dizziness and moderate anxiety right after.  It lasts for 2-3 hours and then gradually dissipates (but I work at it and make sure there's no stressors around me).

Has anyone done something similar and did it rev up your symptoms?  Would appreciate some advice.  Thanks.

I haven't exercised in over a month because it revved up my symptoms.  But my body has been craving physical activity.  So I exercised yesterday for one hour (moderate cardio, brisk walk and jogging) for the first time in over a month.  Did the same again today.  I wanted to see how I'll feel afterwards.  They say that exercise helps create new brain cells and heal from benzos more efficiently.  Didn't feel so good right after.  But after 2-3 hours, the body calmed down a little, and I started to feel some relief/endorphins.  Not easy to do this though, it's tough both mentally and physically.  So, I've been exercising now for two days in a row after a month's break.  Will continue exercising for next several days as an experiment to see if there's any positive effect on the mind/body.  So far I don't feel any lasting negative impact on my symptoms, except for some dizziness and moderate anxiety right after.  It lasts for 2-3 hours and then gradually dissipates (but I work at it and make sure there's no stressors around me).

Has anyone done something similar and did it rev up your symptoms?  Would appreciate some advice.  Thanks.

It definitely revved up my symptoms!! I had to cut way back, and that's super hard since I used to run marathons and ultra marathons all the time. Activity is what kept me sane, but now I have to be careful. Cutting back also helped decrease the "morning blasts" that I've had forever. Cortisol rush, adrenaline blast...whatever people want to call it. I know that exercise is a stressor on the body and therefore causes a release of cortisol. Really sad because I miss the harder exercise so bad!! Good luck to you :)

It definitely revved up my symptoms!! I had to cut way back, and that's super hard since I used to run marathons and ultra marathons all the time. Activity is what kept me sane, but now I have to be careful. Cutting back also helped decrease the "morning blasts" that I've had forever. Cortisol rush, adrenaline blast...whatever people want to call it. I know that exercise is a stressor on the body and therefore causes a release of cortisol. Really sad because I miss the harder exercise so bad!! Good luck to you :)

Thanks Ultra2007, very useful info, will definitely incorporate it into my exercise regime.  Taking a break today from cardio, can't go jogging in the park, it's 38 F in San Antonio and raining really hard.  Will do some moderate weights at home instead  Again, thanks.

Thanks Ultra2007, very useful info, will definitely incorporate it into my exercise regime.  Taking a break today from cardio, can't go jogging in the park, it's 38 F in San Antonio and raining really hard.  Will do some moderate weights at home instead  Again, thanks.

San Antonio!! We have lots of family there and get there fairly often. I live near Hilton Head Island, and rain and cold temps are soon to be here. Not looking forward to that (my joints aren't either).

Take care!

San Antonio!! We have lots of family there and get there fairly often. I live near Hilton Head Island, and rain and cold temps are soon to be here. Not looking forward to that (my joints aren't either).

Take care!

Thanks Ultra2007!  Always wanted to visit South Carolina, I hear Hilton Head Island is a beautiful resort town.  We had very warm/sunny weather in San Antonio for the past two weeks in the upper 80's, but yesterday it turned cold and rainy, it'll be in the 30's tonight.  But in a couple of days the sun will comeback, though it'll be cool.  Really looking forward to it, so I can resume my jogging in the park.  Again, thanks for all your advice regarding exercise and take care.

Hi all, just wanted to leave this here for anyone interested to check out.  In the beginning of my CT, exercise was my life line that helped with my crippling anxiety, then at about months 4.5.. the bottom fell out, fatigue, muscle soreness, tightness, deathly flu symptoms.  Almost as if my acute came at 4.5 months out.  Since I could hardly get out of bed to go to work, I implemented this protocol below to maintain some sort of level of strength and fitness.. plus it made me feel better that I was "fighting back".  It's relatively simple.. but the modality will not jack up your heart rate, and it won't soak your muscles in Nitrogen/lactic acid.. therefore inducing soreness/fatigue.  So for those in a dire situation wondering WTF to do, give it a go.  Hope this helps. 

https://www.artofmanliness.com/2016/01/20/get-stronger-by-greasing-the-groove/

Hi all, just wanted to leave this here for anyone interested to check out.  In the beginning of my CT, exercise was my life line that helped with my crippling anxiety, then at about months 4.5.. the bottom fell out, fatigue, muscle soreness, tightness, deathly flu symptoms.  Almost as if my acute came at 4.5 months out.  Since I could hardly get out of bed to go to work, I implemented this protocol below to maintain some sort of level of strength and fitness.. plus it made me feel better that I was "fighting back".  It's relatively simple.. but the modality will not jack up your heart rate, and it won't soak your muscles in Nitrogen/lactic acid.. therefore inducing soreness/fatigue.  So for those in a dire situation wondering WTF to do, give it a go.  Hope this helps. 

https://www.artofmanliness.com/2016/01/20/get-stronger-by-greasing-the-groove/

t1d!

i don’t really understand the text.. it’s hard to understand as a non native speaker because of the medical language..  :-[

so just short... is weight lifting now good or bad? ? i have been to the gym one month 4-5 times a day but since my wave started 2 weeks ago i can barely walk to the kitchen!

In short, the idea is: if you can do 10 push ups, do only 2-3. And rest at least 15 minutes between each set. And just drop down and do a sets through out the day. The idea is to avoid fatigue. Body weight exercises are ideal here ie: push ups, pull ups, pistol squats etc...and no matter where you are on the ability/Strength spectrum...this protocol can work. For instance if you can’t do a push up, push off a counter top or chair.

If you do a set of 5 push ups maybe 8x through out the day, that’s 280/week. All while avoiding strain, and therefore a longer recovery period, and in our case avoiding any potential uptick of symptoms.

Make sense??

In short, the idea is: if you can do 10 push ups, do only 2-3. And rest at least 15 minutes between each set. And just drop down and do a sets through out the day. The idea is to avoid fatigue. Body weight exercises are ideal here ie: push ups, pull ups, pistol squats etc...and no matter where you are on the ability/Strength spectrum...this protocol can work. For instance if you can’t do a push up, push off a counter top or chair.

If you do a set of 5 push ups maybe 8x through out the day, that’s 280/week. All while avoiding strain, and therefore a longer recovery period, and in our case avoiding any potential uptick of symptoms.

Make sense??

i get it! thanks  :thumbsup:

Thank you T1D, for taking time to post this. This is really helpful, having spent the last 5 months in bed, I'm trying to do something to regain a bit of muscle tone, but suffering from crushing fatigue, muscle pain, joint pain and high heart rate makes this so very difficult. I will give this a go, and like Pavel's idea of presenting strength as a skill.  :)

I hope you'll find other ways to manage your anxiety. Have you by any chance read Rickatu's post?

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=193391.0

Sending you many hugs and wishes of emotional wellness!

:hug: :hug: :hug:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone. I have a few questions I would be grateful if people could answer.

1) Does anyone feel drunk or completely spaced out visually when you do a bit of exercise? Like after cycling on a bike or lifting some weights, my vision goes all weird like I’ve got an invisible object right up to my face which strains my eyes/my eyes can’t focus on.

2) Does anyone shake uncontrollable during and after exercise as if you’ve Parkinson’s or you’re terribly weak even at the lightest of weights or activity?

3) Does anyone’s vision get ‘glitchy’ around the edges of objects when you get into a workout? Like the edges of objects looks like they distort/bounce/flicker at the edge only.

Hey everyone. I have a few questions I would be grateful if people could answer.

1) Does anyone feel drunk or completely spaced out visually when you do a bit of exercise? Like after cycling on a bike or lifting some weights, my vision goes all weird like I’ve got an invisible object right up to my face which strains my eyes/my eyes can’t focus on.

2) Does anyone shake uncontrollable during and after exercise as if you’ve Parkinson’s or you’re terribly weak even at the lightest of weights or activity?

3) Does anyone’s vision get ‘glitchy’ around the edges of objects when you get into a workout? Like the edges of objects looks like they distort/bounce/flicker at the edge only.

#1-yes,  #2-yes,  #3-yes.  In reference to # 3, I used to get that a lot especially early in the withdrawal when I tried to exercise, that flickering was really disturbing.  But it has improved, though it comesback sometimes when I do too much exercise.  Pick light exercise at first and don't do it for too long, even few minutes at a time is enough.  Then as your withdrawal progresses and you get stronger, slowly increase the intensity and duration of exercise, but always with room to scale back if necessary.

Just tried getting back into some mild exercise. Took some creatine and protien to tey to put some mass back on my skeletal body. That was about a week ago. Past 4 days ive felt like ive been in acute withdrawal. Anybody have any bad reactions to creatine?