Exercise support group

[dr...]

Definitely agree with this. Cardio helps me tremendously. Also, if we can learn to move in new ways, that is also good for brain recovery. This could be as complex as learning a new sport, or simple as changing our dominant leg/hand or focusing on improving your walking gait. For me, I took swim lessons. When I started, my symptoms were so bad that my vision was fuzzy, but even then, every pool session made be feel substantially better for hours or into the next day. And learning to move our bodies in new ways accelerates the healing process, at least that has been demonstrated for physical brain injuries, and it feels anecdotally true for withdrawal.

I haven't posted in this group in a very long time however, I want everyone to know if you can exercise please exercise during recovery. I'm not suggesting that you run a marathon however exercise is very good for the brain.

I also recommend that everyone read the book Spark by Dr. John Ratey. I spoke to Dr. Ratey several times during my recovery and he reiterated if I wanted to expedite my healing I should work out daily. Whenever I had a wave I worked out on my elliptical or treadmill. As soon as I started to exercise the wave always abated. This was NOT a coincidence. What I learned after reading Spark is when we exercise we release BDNF which acts like a miracle grow in our brain. I do believe that BDNF plays a role in recovery.

If you can't exercise now please try again in a month. You will be surprised to see how much healing takes place every month. I am 50 months off Ambien and Valium and I still exercise 7 days a week. I know that your brain will thank you for exercising.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

mirabilis47 - did you exercise and swim while tapering or when off benzos? I want to get back to the gym like I used to but have this exercise phobia now and am scared of doing anything to rev up s/x or set me into a wave.

My symptoms resulted from a baclofen CT, not benzos proper, so I wouldn't rely on me if you are concerned. But I would start slow and track your symptom severity in writing.  For me, I track my symptoms morning, midday and evening throughout the week and then track when I exercise (or do anything else that could have made things better or worse) and then looked at the patterns over time. But i can feel the benefits of exercise on my symptoms within minutes even without this. Again, your results may vary since I am just a baclofenbuddy and gabapentinbuddy not a true benzobuddy.

mirabilis47 - did you exercise and swim while tapering or when off benzos? I want to get back to the gym like I used to but have this exercise phobia now and am scared of doing anything to rev up s/x or set me into a wave.

Thanks mirabilis47 - smart idea to track everything. I need to do that too. I agree - I will start slow and slowly build up day to day. I just want to do something besides reading posts on BBs...

I have a treadmill and an elliptical machine.  Been doing the elliptical machine 30 minutes a day.  But I have to tell you, I feel so weak and it is hard to just get started.  And I'm tired even after.  But I keep on trying.  Every other day I do push ups and lift 10 lb weights ...just like arm curls.  I am 5'1" and 105lbs.  So I cannot lift more than that.  I try not to overdo bcuz of the adrenals being off. But I always have the inner trembling and weakness, jelly legs (as Ashton says)... That never seems to abate.  And I'm at 10mg.  I don't know if I am just sensitive or if this is normal.  I am tapering 5% at this level.  Cannot imagine if it gets lower how much worse it may be.  Maybe it's my age.....I don't know.  I am also not getting sleep .......so I'm sure that adds to it. 

[61...]

I flat out could not exercise for a long time, the symptoms and disorientation and adrenaline were just way too much, but recently ive managed to take a moderate jog/run, worked up the cardio and didnt suffer for it, felt pretty decent all things considered.

my only stumbling block now to get going with at least some moderate exercise and weightlifting is heart palpitation paranoia. today for instance, i really wanted to go to my gym again and do even a half hour of some light weights, bout 2 hours ago had a heart palp, not a huge one, but enough to kinda make me jolt in my seat.

my dr and cardiologist have told me, dude, youre fine, just be mindful if they intensify in volume maybe take it easy. but im so damn paranoid of them.

i had one, one time while i was running last year (in a modest sort of window) and that freaked me out. my heart rate was up and i had a pretty good palp and ugh it stopped me in my tracks... i dont get them as often as i used to, but i do get at least one pretty noticeable one a day.

my heartrate is still a little high but again not to any degree that my dr or cardiologist are worried about, im often sitting in the high 70s to mid 80s. id love to get my heartrate even around 70 or dip into the 60s, the healthy members of my family who lived/live full lives were all around 70.

i dunno, im about where its time to push back against this withdrawal, im 21 months post now, and im still alive, id love to get the body in motion and start training again when im not too symptomatic, yet another thing this withdrawal took away from me, 2 years of muscle mass, ugh. i had just finally gotten to benching 225 sets on my own at 43 years old. id never lifted like that before

and then withdrawal hit....

i just rambled more than i intended :P

hope everyones hangin in there

OK...I am jumping in.  Sounds like a lot of you are much younger than me (57) but I think exercise may even be more important.  I made a lot of mistakes and went to detox to get off of 4mg klon daily.  Woops.  6 days of detox and off I went in Dec 2018.  Don't want to talk about the pain and fear.  So...I am sick but am starting to stretch on yoga mat and walk around house.  Colder than hell outside so that's out for now.  Glad to have my legs back.  Never thought I could be so grateful for ability to walk without stumbling. (most of the time)

I love reading your posts...very motivating!!!!

i dunno, im about where its time to push back against this withdrawal, im 21 months post now, and im still alive, id love to get the body in motion and start training again when im not too symptomatic, yet another thing this withdrawal took away from me, 2 years of muscle mass, ugh. i had just finally gotten to benching 225 sets on my own at 43 years old. id never lifted like that before

and then withdrawal hit....

i just rambled more than i intended :P

hope everyones hangin in there

One good thing I found with weight training is that once you have reached a point it generally isn't to hard to get back there after a layoff.

Sober I can definitely attest to the benefits of exercise while tapering. It is very healing. I have noticed a difference when I’m exercising vs. when I’m not. I have had times where vigorous exercise affected my sleep so I could only walk but even walking improved how I felt and I slept much better on the days that I walked. And I only had that issue very late in my taper so not sure how common it is. Now I’m running again and so far so good on sleep. Every little bit helps.

OK...I am jumping in.  Sounds like a lot of you are much younger than me (57) but I think exercise may even be more important.  I made a lot of mistakes and went to detox to get off of 4mg klon daily.  Woops.  6 days of detox and off I went in Dec 2018.  Don't want to talk about the pain and fear.  So...I am sick but am starting to stretch on yoga mat and walk around house.  Colder than hell outside so that's out for now.  Glad to have my legs back.  Never thought I could be so grateful for ability to walk without stumbling. (most of the time)

I love reading your posts...very motivating!!!!

DoveLuv - glad to hear that you are up and moving! That is a victory in itself!

Something not too stressful that you might check out is Tai Chi. You can find instructional videos that you can do in your own home. It will get you moving all your limbs in new ways, but very slowly and with a focus on meditation. I find both the movement and mediation aspects helpful.

Dovelov    I really like to do yoga on youtube  One very good instructor's channel is called Yoga with Adrienne.  Physical activity seems extremely helpful for withdrawal symptoms.  Biking has  even thrown a window my way once or twice and it lasted like 3 hours.

[61...]

so i ran last night and actually did 3 sets of pushups and some sorta makeshift arm curls at home. definitely got my heart thumping for a while.

didnt feel bad at all while exercising, but this morning ugh my anxiousness is through the roof and had a heart palpitation here at work. i feel off for sure compared to yesterday, maybe i overdid it a little bit.

the soreness of exercise doesnt bother me at all, but alittle disappointed at feeling more anxious and symptomatic today. hopefully, as usual, the afternoon will bring a measure of peace....

horizon, yep, i remember that if youve weightlfited for a considerable time, you can get back or close to where you were at faster than when you had started. i dont know if ill ever get totally back, but should be able to make good gains if i can get through this withdrawal without falling over.

mountaintop1 - thank you for that - needed some encouragement. Going to the gym today and starting slow and will build up a little every day...

Thanks guys...Used to practice meditation and yoga on a regular basis.  Will keep edging forward. I will check out Adrienne/yoga.  Good idea about Tai chi.  Did this 30 years ago.  Slow easy does it movements.  Will report back.

I love yoga Dove - but I am used to hot yoga and sadly that is too intense for me now while tapering so going to check out this YouTube video too.

I WISH I was younger than 57!!! 

I am 70.  :tickedoff:

So yea, it's really hard at this age.  However, thank The LORD I have always been active all my life.  The only problem with overdoing it is that No 1: Too much exercise can increase Cortisol and if you are nervous, it will make you much MORE nervous.  This is why I am now keeping the exercise at 30 minutes rather than an hour or more like I USED to do.  I had a SPIT TEST and my adrenals are off as well, shooting out too much Cortisol at night which causes Insomnia and too much when I wake up.  So bcuz of all these things, I have to make certain choices as to how long I exercise so I do not raise up that Cortisol level, otherwise, I'll never get sleep or be calm.  I shake all the time on my taper as it is.

So I only say this as a warning to those who are really going through severe sxs of nervousness .....you do not want to increase that Cortisol in your body and over 30 minutes of exercise will do just that.  You may look it up if you so wish.

Yes, I have read about neurogenesis and healing of the brain........and yes, Ideally, if we were NOT on Benzos tapering, I'd wholeheartedly agree with it.  But we ARE on Benzos tapering which is affecting our CNS, not just our brains.  And EVEN THOUGH we want our brains healed and restored and working again, healing again, if we get too much Cortisol levels in our bodies, it will SET US BACK and I don't know about you guys but I'm shaking and nervous enough as it is.  Can't imagine it becoming worse.

[61...]

hope i think im suffering from just that today, im just anxious reved up feeling (ugh i hate it, its been sooo long of this)

but last week i ran a good distance for me, til near exhaustion actually, and felt pretty good even afterwards.

yesterdays exercise definitely hitting me today though with symptoms - its not toooo bad, but im uncomfortable fosho.

so freakin tired of this, its so unhealthy to sit around, but then any amount of adrenaline spent and it still can annihilate me. damned if you do, damned if you dont.

Well, we have to WAIT for our brains to heal that is the problem and it takes time for the Brain to heal.  We want it to happen faster but it is going to take as long as it needs to heal unfortunately for us.  The worst part is when you are older, you don't have a lot of time left to wait...so my latter years will be now spent waiting to heal then I'm really old. 

However, positive thoughts are the way to go.  I do not wish to offend, only to help.  But there is a NeuroScientist, Caroline Leaf (she is a Christian) but she has a 3-part Series on YouTube showing the neurons in the brain reacting negatively to negative thoughts and/or thoughts of fear to the body and visa versa with positive thoughts and how they heal the brain and the body.  It was awesome watching those neurons react in split seconds.  It helped me better understand the brain.  So we can teach ourselves to rewire the brain and that's what I've been working on.  I still have 10 mg to get off and I am tapering 5% which bothers me......it's so slow.  I wish I could taper faster but I cannot at this time. 

It's great that you are off that medicine, but you have to give your brain the chance to heal and we're all individuals ...so we have to be thankful for the good days and good parts.  I wish you the very best.  You will make it.  I hope I do!

mountaintop1 - thank you for that - needed some encouragement. Going to the gym today and starting slow and will build up a little every day...

Yes sober, slow is great! This isn’t a race, I’ve had to tell myself that. This process has truly taught me patience for sure. I’ve had to force myself to slow down so much but I’m learning. I’m sure all will go well at the gym.

Hopeforrecovery ….I am hearing you!  Cortisol is pumping through my body and it hurts.  Today I am all hyped up and can't pin point anything I did or didn't do.  It is what it is.  I am tentative about everything I do and will slowly introduce movement back into my day.  Thank you so much for the link to Caroline Leaf.  It helps me soooo much visualizing or reading about my brain healing.  I worked with brain injured for so many years and here I am.  Sounds like you are doing alright.  30 min a day is great!  I hope to get there someday.

Had a great hard run yesterday, even did some hills,  and lifted a few weights. But then could not reach a deep sleep last night. I guess I overdid it. Back to slow walk jogs for me. And I was planning to try rock climbing in the next few weeks I felt ready. Heck I may still try it even if I don’t sleep that night. I am so ready to do everything I want to do. My scale is creeping up and not sure why maybe the revved up symptoms are increasing cortisol. Who knows. Taking a few steps back but remaining active. Patience. Hope everyone is doing well.