back again

[po...]

thank you again for all your support dear benzobuddies!!

I spoke to the vet yesterday and he said that in 8 weeks time after 2 months of antifungals (luckily comes in a palatable liquid that i add to his food, so far he has eaten it with no problems, and so far, but after only one dose,no side effects), he will xray his nose again and if there have been no more sneezing symptoms and there is no more damage to his nose, we can hope it has not become systemic, so fingers crossed.

Pretty, I asked him about probiotics (I already give my cats live yoghourt) and he said their guts were different from humans and he knew that probiotics for cats were being marketed, but he thought it was a waste of time and did not recommend it, but i will certainly carry on with the yoghourt.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [po...]

• [Ja...]

• [Li...]

• [pr...]

Polenta,

That is great that he ate the meds. on his food!  I am so glad!   

I will be remembering him in prayers for that to be everything he needs to have health again.

Please let us know how it is going in the days to come!

Holding all three of you close,

:smitten:

Lily

Pretty, I asked him about probiotics (I already give my cats live yoghourt) and he said their guts were different from humans and he knew that probiotics for cats were being marketed, but he thought it was a waste of time and did not recommend it, but i will certainly carry on with the yoghourt.

oh, that's good. i had given kneeknee some probiotics that were specifically design for kitty's. i can't remember where i got it now. but the yoghourt is a good idea. i had also had such a bad time for me and my cat with trying so many different kitty liltters. i had tried the corn for awhile and i couldn't take the dust and odor from it. kneeknee probably thought i was nuts in how many times i changed her kitty litter on her. if i get a cat again i will really have to research the best one, so keep me posted as to which litter works. ;)

Polenta,

Praying for you and your kitties every day. You are all in my thoughts.

It's good that he is eating the food with the meds. :thumbsup: Give them some scratchies from me and Nikki (Pronounced Neeki, that's what we call her.)

Love, Jadetortoise

I stopped in Petco, and Worlds Best also has a walnut-shell based litter. And I have a coupon for it! Next  time I need litter, Ill try it.

I will NEVER use clay or corn type litter again. Its was awful. I keep the litter in my spare bedroom (its also a big walk in closet!) and everything got covered in gray, disgusting dust. Even the ceiling fan was covered. When I saw that, I quit using clay. I cannot afford to buy more litter right now. Worlds Best does a decent job for me, and my cats. But next time, I will try their walnut stuff.

Polenta, how is your cat doing? I hope he is doing well.

east

Walnut shells sounds like a good idea for cat litter, I haven't seen that one. Polenta, I really hope your kitty is doing ok...

Thanks again everyone, I have told my cat's how lucky they are to have all this support…..

The one on the antifungal is managing to cope with it so far - he has to take it for a week on and then a week off for at least 2 months.  He has had it for 4 days so far and is starting to get diarrhoea and to be a bit depressed, so I will be glad to get to the end of the first wweek so he can have a break.

the other one (his brother) is fine but is getting a bit jealous of his sick brother and starting to attack him (not too seriously) when my back is turned.  I am still so exhausted, I simply don't have the energy to play with him etc (32 degrees here today, and I am on the top floor with  no AC). 

I do hope I can start to relax a bit soon,

Thanks again dear friends, it is so nice to know you are thinking of me.

Hi Polenta,

I'm so sorry it is so rough for you right now. The heat is really stifling. Here in FL it stays that hot for months. Even with the AC there are places inside here that can't cool down enough, so I really understand. Sometimes you just have to go slower and do only what you can do.

I feel so badly for your poor kitties, both of them. It is obvious that his being ill is having an effect on their daily routines.When one gets ill both suffer. Try to show both of them as much love as you can. They will apperciate any attention that you can give them. It doesn't have to be playing.

How are you holding up? I know the stress must be so terrible right now. I am praying for you every day and sending positive thoughts your way. You continue to amaze me Polenta. I wish I could be as strong as you are.

Love, Jade

the other one (his brother) is fine but is getting a bit jealous of his sick brother and starting to attack him (not too seriously) when my back is turned.  I am still so exhausted, I simply don't have the energy to play with him etc (32 degrees here today, and I am on the top floor with  no AC).

I do hope I can start to relax a bit soon,

that's kinda funny that he's jealous of his sick brother and attacking him. maybe it's a form of healing that they do and he's trying to get him up and about ??

it's 32 degrees there? i don't get it? that doesn't seem hot but cold. am i missing something?

it's so hot here too. and no air conditioners in Ventura. so i have to use a fan. so sticky and sweaty all the time with waves on top of everything.

i hope you can relax soon. :)

Hi Pretty,

Polenta is in the U. K. so 32' C is like around 90' F.  That should clear it up for you.  I bet it did sound strange!  (She mentioned she was in the U. K. at the top of page 13 just in case you were wondering where I saw that.  *wink*)  I wish it would cool for all of us for the rest of the summer.  It was 105' F. here last week - way too hot for me!  We do have a wall air conditioner but it didn't keep up quite enough.  Right now is comfortable but by the weekend, we will have more heat again.  Come on Autumn!!!  : )

Hi Polenta,

Whenever we have had a sick kitty, the others always seem to change their behavior, too.  I think maybe they are stressed by it.  ?  I hope that the one who is well will find a different way of "talking" about his discomfort with the situation. 

I hope you are trying to rest as well as possible.  Drinking lots of cold water is one of the best things I can do for heat and running cold water over my wrists now and then too.  Do you have any ice packs?  I sleep with them!   

Thinking of you and send you prayers.

Love,

Lily

Hi Pretty,

Polenta is in the U. K. so 32' C is like around 90' F.  That should clear it up for you.  I bet it did sound strange!  (She mentioned she was in the U. K. at the top of page 13 just in case you were wondering where I saw that.  *wink*)  I wish it would cool for all of us for the rest of the summer.  It was 105' F. here last week - way too hot for me!  We do have a wall air conditioner but it didn't keep up quite enough.  Right now is comfortable but by the weekend, we will have more heat again.  Come on Autumn!!!  : )

Lily,

yeah i thought it was a celcius/fahrenheit thing. i knew Polenta lived in UK. thanks for the clarification. i can't wait for Autumn too.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/Lilyagain/Smileys%20from%20Annie/Greetingwavinggril_zpsadb9553b.gif  Hi Pretty,

Yes, won't Autumn be lovely!!!

Have a good night!  I think maybe you are still here and I just wanting to send you a Hi!

Love,

Lily

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/Lilyagain/Smileys%20from%20Annie/Greetingwavinggril_zpsadb9553b.gif  Hi Pretty,

Yes, won't Autumn be lovely!!!

Have a good night!  I think maybe you are still here and I just wanting to send you a Hi!

Love,

Lily

Hi Lily,

you have a good night too. i was just watching 'How I Met Your Mother' it's the only show and thing that helps me to distract from the symptoms. i leave my light on but not always on here. :)

Love, Pretty

Hi Polenta,

Sending you healing vibrations and energy. Are you and your kitties doing okay?

Love, Jadetortoise

yes, we are ok thank you Jade.  It is a bit cooler today and my cat has got through his first week of antifungal ok, he has a week off now and then another week on and so on.

His fur looks terrible and all he wants to do is lie quietly, but I think he is not as bad as he was.

Polenta, Im glad your cat is doing okay. My Oreo decided last night to sleep on the bed with me....after a week of sleeping on the sofa! I think he did that to show dominance over my other cat,Peggy Sue (who was here first). It was funny. About midnight, he started meowing loudly at the door, making the sounds he makes when he's killed his "mousie" toy. I opened the door and there he was, toy in his mouth. God, I love animals! They are so wonderful and interesting.

east

that's great news polenta. lying quietly is a good healing measure. that's all i do. :)

my glutes aren't for the better but it's all i do. :o

Polenta,

Awwww...his poor body is probably trying so hard to heal and rebalance. Poor furry baby.

Give both of them lots of love.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. :)

Jade

Polenta,

Healing energy and positive thoughts to you and both kitties.

Hope everything is going well.

Love, Jade :smitten:

Just stopping by to see if there might be an update.

I hope everything is still going well. 

Love and Blessings,

:smitten:

Lily

Thanks Lily and everyone - no change really, my cat has got through his first week on antifungals ok, and is now having a week off, he is getting more like his old self and is not putting up with any nonsense from his (much smaller) brother.  So the littler one is slinking around in a bit of a sulk because he rather liked  sleeping in his brother's favorite spot etc etc.  I keep telling them it's Karma, but they still always want what the other one (usually the bigger, boss cat) has and it's Not Fair……..

I was feeling a whole lot better until I thought I heard the big one sneeze about 3 times yesterday, but I haven't managed to see him do it yet, so  I am keeping my fingers crossed that it wasn't a sneeze that i heard.

Polenta,

I hope your cat continues to do well with the antifungal. :thumbsup:

I think about you and your kitties every day. Praying and sending healing energy. It sure is time for these stressful situations to let up and give you a break.

Cats are the most amazing animals, really intriguing and intelligent. If I ever heal I hope togive back by helping cats in whatever way that I can---that is my promise to myself.

Love, Jade :smitten:

and you WILL heal dear Jade.

If I had to do it again, knowing what I now know, I would come off caffeine now, when you feel so awful that the wd sx won't make much difference, and get all your nutrients from food and NONE from supplements.

I can't believe that I have been hit with another 18 months (so far) of new sx, ie fatigue and severe back pain after quitting the what I thought was "harmless" two cups of tea a day that I drank out of sheer habit.  I read a book called "welcome to the dance" by Ruth whalen, who said that after she came off caffeine she still had fatigue 2 years and 3 months after coming off it, although all the other sx had gone.  Apparently when we develop a sensitivity to any substance our bodies stop metabolising it properly and it gets stored up instead of being processed by the liver etc.  (benzos too I expect).

Anyway, I keep hammering on in the faint hopes that somebody else might benefit from my mistakes.

Thanks for all the support Jade and everyone!!

Hi Polenta,

Thank you for your thoughts on getting all of our nutrients from food and NONE from supplements.  I believe you and think that is more the way to go all the time as I am trying now to avoid food additives and supplements.  I have tried several times, the last time just a couple of months ago, to take only 100 IU of Vitamin D.  I can't do it at all!  And I know for sure MSG and Glutamate really bring on mental symptoms for me. 

I am down to trying to make everything from scratch now.  I even made homemade mayonnaise the other day for a salad.  Not a necessity for life but it was very nice comfort food in our super hot weather.  Just a one off sort of thing.  I have been using a "No MSG" broth in my soups but have found out recently that their is yeast extract in it and that is pretty much the same thing for my body. 

I now think I have found a broth that is truly free from all those possible additives.  I have sent an email to the company to see for sure before "buying stock" in it and then beginning to buy the broth and/or stock they make.  They make lots of products - like soups or drinks.  For anyone in the US that might like to check them out their name is Pacific Natural Foods in Tualatin, OR.  Since it is a commercial site, I can't leave their website here.  It can be Goggled though.

Sorry this got to be so long!

I hope you and the kitties are doing well today.  Has it cooled any there?

Love,

Lily

P. S. I so often think Potentilla in instead of Polenta when you come to mind!  I always have since I first saw your name here.  I guess I think of you like a pretty little yellow flower!

This variety is called Happy Face!  Perfect!

http://naturehills.s3.amazonaws.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/200x200/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/p/o/potentilla_fruticosa_happy_face_t.jpg

Good Morning, Happy Face!

Dear Polenta,

I hope you and your kitties are doing okay. How is your little one doing on his meds? I hope he is able to tolerate ithe antifungal so far.

My Nikki is better again. The wobbling and dizziness let up, but she still seems wary, and won't jump up to her favorite "nest." Not sure if she will ever be able to again. :(

Prayers and love to you.

Jadetortoise