• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [po...]

• [Ja...]

• [Li...]

• [pr...]

Ugh!  It is so hard to wait for news from the Vet!  I hope they call today and that the news is very good. 

Hugs to you and the kitties as you wait.

Love,

Lily

Polenta.

Hoping you have good news. I am sure everything will be all right now. Kitties doing okay now?

Lily, I really like that cartoon---really cute.

Pretty, you're so funny! :2funny:

[c5...]
wait am I missing something here,did it take you 24 yrs to heal? I am happy you are99% now. please tell me I read something wrong or am I being a pessimist?

wait am I missing something here,did it take you 24 yrs to heal? I am happy you are99% now. please tell me I read something wrong or am I being a pessimist?

you did not read it wrong missmom. Polenta took 24 years to be 99% healed. it's not that far out of the realm for some of us although probably a more rare case than not.

Polenta,

I hope you will be feeling more well again soon.  I know it is hard to wait for test results, especially after all the past days of illness and Vet trips.  It's brutal.  In the last years and even as recently as a few weeks ago, I went through days very much like the ones you have been having.  I am so sorry.

Sending you hugs.

Lily

Polenta, Im so sorry. I don't know much about this disease. I have had a couple human patients with it, but that was years and years ago. Things have probably improved since then.

east

Oh Polenta,

I am so sorry that the results were not more positive.  I read through the link you posted and an holding onto hope for your kitty and you.  I hope he will respond to treatment if it is possible for him to have them.  Just so very sorry. 

Could we please know his name.  I have been meaning to ask you if you would mind telling us.  And if you don't mind, I would like to pray for him by name.  (Not that God doesn't know who he is already.)

Please let us know how both of you are doing.  Sending you all the support I can in caring thoughts and prayers today. 

Love,

:therethere:

Lily

Dear Polenta,

I am so sorry about your poor kitty's diagnosis. I read the article you posted.

Do you know if the infection is nasal, or systemic? Really did not expect something like this. I hope they can treat your cat and hopefully heal this infection.

My gosh what a time you're both having. I will be praying for you and both kitties, I have every day. I know you are doing everything you can possibly do.

I can imagine how worried you must feel. I am sending you healing energy and positive thoughts and prayers.

Keep us informed on how everything is going and what you need to do.

I wish we could offer real physical support in your time of need.

Love, Jadetortoise :smitten:

sorry polenta.

i really hope your cat will be able to repond to the treatment. wonder if a good probitoc would help since it's from mold in a systemic way as well as the treatment? i know first hand how this feels as the studio i recorded the record in was terribly moldy and believe i suffered a mold injury from that as well as the benzo issue.

well, all your vet needs to do is get the right antifungal up his little nosy. i hope it works. keep us posted.

pretty

thanks everyone.  I hope it has not got through his sinus cavities into his brain.  I have to get some anti-fungal liquid from the vet today, which aparently I put in his food. He will have to have months and months of this (with possible side effcts) and a 60-7-% per cent chance of a cure.

I hope it is the nasal variety and has not become systemic.  (The vet said the thing he flushed out of his nose looked liike "a ball of decayed food)

which matches the description given in the article.

I also found a link to the dreadful cat litter that awaited him when he came home from the vet for the first time after the poisoning.  He was in a very very weakened state and his immune system was probably overtaxed.  If only i had not bought that new cat litter……  that's when he started sneezing.

http://news.petmeds.com/news/pet-health/aflatoxins-and-corn-based-cat-litter/#.U81iKlywgXE

I stopped using clay litter this year. The dust was disgusting, for me and the cats. I tried a corn litter, but it, too, was dusty and tracked everywhere. I am now using an expensive brand, "Worlds Best." Very little dust. Less tracking. It has a weird smell, however. There are several other brands similar to this.

east

well that's the one that made my cat ill!http://news.petmeds.com/news/pet-health/aflatoxins-and-corn-based-cat-litter/#.U81iKlywgXE

Apparently the fine dust from worlds best makes it even more catching!

I googled it and found other people complaining about their cats sneezing blood after getting worlds best, and the smell …… 

It made me feel a bit sick….

I have gone back to a much more dust free clay based one.  called "clean paws" can give details if you would like them

Hmm, that's not good news. I have never seen "Clean Paws." Im in the STates...where are you? I don't want to pay shipping for kitty litter.  What clay based litter has less dust? I thought I had tried them all. The worst was Fresh Steps....horrible gray dust everywhere, even two rooms away. Disgusting! But yes, let me know more.

east

I'm in the uk -

Pettex super clumping cat litter:

Clean Paws is a premium microgranule cat litter with superior clumping abilities.

Clean Paws comes from the world’s only natural source of Sodium Bentonite. As well as being more economical to use due to easier waste separation, it is also environmentally friendly as with all Pettex Cat Litters.

A dust-free litter, Clean Paws is also suitable for cats with dust allergies too.  It will also control odours effectively and last up to 4 times longer than regular litters.

Clean Paws is available in a 5kg or 15kg size. 

Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat is a good clumping clay litter that is very dust free that is available in the USA.  Petsmart has it probably other pet food stores do too. Also I have used the pine pellets but some cats don't like that. The corn stuff sketches me out, probably GMO

corn...

For my 2 cents on the litter quality!

We used "Fresh Step Extreme", a none clumping litter, for our cats and felt it worked very well for controlling odor, had a pleasant enough scent and lasted well between times of cleaning the boxes for fresh litter. 

But THE DUST!  I was very concerned from the beginning about our cats inhaling the dust and didn't like it in our air either.  Since we live in the country surrounded by nothing but fields, we could go out to the "back 40" and pour the litter back and forth between two large buckets.  If there was any wind at all, a cloud of dust would bellow up and away as we sifted it!  It worked really well to do that!  By the time we were done, maybe 4 or 5 minutes at the most, the dust was completely gone.  (I wish the company would do something like this to make it dust free from the start!  Hello - these are our kitties!)  I never saw any dust in our home or even when I was cleaning the boxes.  So, if you liked Fresh Step other than the dust and you have a way to let a breeze carry it away... it works well for us.

That is alllll.

Thanks for this discussion,

:smitten:

Lily

thanks everyone.  I hope it has not got through his sinus cavities into his brain.  I have to get some anti-fungal liquid from the vet today, which aparently I put in his food. He will have to have months and months of this (with possible side effcts) and a 60-7-% per cent chance of a cure.

I hope it is the nasal variety and has not become systemic.  (The vet said the thing he flushed out of his nose looked liike "a ball of decayed food)

which matches the description given in the article.

I also found a link to the dreadful cat litter that awaited him when he came home from the vet for the first time after the poisoning.  He was in a very very weakened state and his immune system was probably overtaxed.  If only i had not bought that new cat litter……  that's when he started sneezing.

http://news.petmeds.com/news/pet-health/aflatoxins-and-corn-based-cat-litter/#.U81iKlywgXE

Polenta,

I so hope your kitty can eat the meds. on his food and that it will bring him back to health without any difficult side effects.  If he is reluctant to eating it, please tell us here.  There are some different ways to help them get it down.  Okay? 

Don't feel badly about getting the new kitty litter for him... you were trying to do the best thing and sometimes this is how that goes.  That is exactly what has happened more than once with our pets.  It is hard to bear.

Love and prayers for you and little pussy cat, 

:smitten:

Lily

Polenta,

I know that this is so very difficult for you. It would be for me too.

Does your kitty need more tests to determine if it is systemic? Or just time on meds?

Hopefully the side effects will not be too severe for him. I know you are doing all the best you can. Give him the meds and give him as much love as you can.

I am praying for you and kitties.

Keep us informed on what's happening.

Love, Jade :smitten: