Cross-Over to Valium Support Thread

[df...]

3 years 9 months but I worked all the way, have a business on the side and wasted time thinking I could taper symptom free. So I would say it should have been 3 years or maybe slightly more given my circumstances. And just so you know, it wasn't easy.

etown :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [la...]

• [ro...]

• [ly...]

• [et...]

Top Posters In This Topic

3 years 9 months but I worked all the way, have a business on the side and wasted time thinking I could taper symptom free. So I would say it should have been 3 years or maybe slightly more given my circumstances. And just so you know, it wasn't easy.

What made it not easy?

What made it not easy?

The fact that for me I had symptoms all the way down. I'm sure it didn't help that I was working full time and had my business to run on the side. I had to have a "normal" life while tapering even though we all know that is not possible.

etown

I dont see a lot of people on this forum that taper fast and have it easy. And I dont see a whole lot of people that have it slow and easy- most slow taperers still have problems, they just seem to be able to go on with their lives and deal with the symptoms better. I think the people that have it really easy just dont stick around!

I dont see a lot of people on this forum that taper fast and have it easy. And I dont see a whole lot of people that have it slow and easy- most slow taperers still have problems, they just seem to be able to go on with their lives and deal with the symptoms better. I think the people that have it really easy just dont stick around!

Which is ashame as it would be nice to really have some perspective on the whole picture.

Which is ashame as it would be nice to really have some perspective on the whole picture.

The whole picture is that approx 56% of people can go off Benzos easily and 44% have big problems.

etown

The whole picture is on here- its just an awfully big board. You can find headers for good stories and bad. It is all on here but its a big board with a lot of experience and nobody has the time to read it all. Just look for threads that interest you- its all here somewhere. None of us will go through anything someone else isnt going through.

The whole picture is on here- its just an awfully big board. You can find headers for good stories and bad. It is all on here but its a big board with a lot of experience and nobody has the time to read it all. Just look for threads that interest you- its all here somewhere. None of us will go through anything someone else isnt going through.

Hey thanks for the info. By the way couldn't help but notice that you are drinking grapefruit juice everyday. I thought that was a big no no with Valium. On the bottles I get it says right on there " Do not consume grapefruit juice". Apparently it prevents the body from fully being able to process the drug and can lead to more side effects.

I tried to explain it in the signature- my metabolism is too fast. Much too fast. Valium should ideally last 24 hours. I can feel it fading after about 12. By drinking a little grapefruit it slows my metabolism to what most other peoples is and I can have a more normal dosing schedule. Otherwise I have to take it split up into odd doses. I agree for most people grapefruit is a bad idea and it could really be dangerous for slow metabolizers. But for those of us whose systems process it through much too quickly it can be very helpful and allow us to follow a normal dosing schedule with no particular increase in side effects. It just gives us the chance to process it in the way it should be.

[73...]

I posted this in the Valium support thread too but I figured it would fit well here as well.

I'm on 2.5 mg's of Klonopin which I dose 3 times daily (1 mg, 1mg and .5mg) and yesterday my psychiatrist told me to substitute the .5 evening dose for 5 mg's of V. I know that is half of what Ashton recommends and tried to explain that to him by showing him the chart but he didn't seem to understand. I also have talked to several others who do agree that they did well with a lower equivalency than 1 mg K = 20 mg V. I took the Ashton equivalent last night anyway and had a pretty terrible headache. I just don't know what to do with regards to making the crossover. I'm already so bad on the K and don't want to end up on the wrong equivalency of V although I'm inclined to believe Ashton given her obvious years of experience. Wondering what your thoughts are.

It should be noted that I tried a direct crossover to 30 mg's and it did not work at all but I thought maybe that would be different if I did a proper crossover.

[73...]
Also I am trying to follow Ashton's crossover schedule but my benzo brain is so foggy that looking at the chart I understand for two weeks I could do .25 Klonopin and 5 Valium to substitute for my .5 mg evening dose (while taking my other two 1 mg K doses as usual) but after two weeks I am confused about how I would add Valium in along with Klonopin for my 1 mg morning dose without making any cuts and making sure everything adds up to 50 mg V/2.5 mg's K. I'm embarrassed to even ask this but is there any way someone could help explain that.

Also I am trying to follow Ashton's crossover schedule but my benzo brain is so foggy that looking at the chart I understand for two weeks I could do .25 Klonopin and 5 Valium to substitute for my .5 mg evening dose (while taking my other two 1 mg K doses as usual) but after two weeks I am confused about how I would add Valium in along with Klonopin for my 1 mg morning dose without making any cuts and making sure everything adds up to 50 mg V/2.5 mg's K. I'm embarrassed to even ask this but is there any way someone could help explain that.

The idea is to only change one dose at a time. Yes you can go down from 0.5mgs K to 0.25mgs K for your evening dose and add 5mg valium. and then I believe you wait one to two weeks until you feel ok then eliminate the rest of the evening K and take 10mgs Valium.

You then repeat this step method for your morning and afternoon doses. Doing only one at a time

So the say for your morning dose one week reduce the 1mg dose to 0.5mgs and add 10mgs valium wait a week or two to see if you feel better than remove the remaining 0.5mgs and add another 10mgs = 20kvalium and 0 Klonopin.  Wait one to two weeks and then finally do the same with your other 1mg dose i.e remove 0.5K add 10mgsV wait another week to two weeks go to 0K 20mgs V

So your Valium schedule would be as follows once done crossing over :

Am : 20mgs Valium Pm : 20mgs Valium Bedtime : 10mgs Valium.

Personally I would rather take a larger dose at night than in the morning and eventually you should be able to get down to only taking Valium once or twice per day max.

I am now 80  % of the way crossed over to Valium from Klonopin and tonight would be when I start 100 % Valium.

Not going to lie I feel scared to make that last bit of tj cross over as this week has been so far far and away the hardest part of the cross over. Way more anxiety, agitation and sometimes my mind just going totally blank and can't even string a sentence together.  Right now taking 0.07mgs K and 8mgs Valium after tonight going to 9.46mgs Valium via liquid taper.

I have heard conflicting info now about crossing over and that perhaps the reason for people's struggles crossing over from Klonopin is because they drag out the cross over too long leaving their body in tolerance withdrawal while the valium gets up to peak concentration. Others say that Ashton's method is the best method but others such as Dr Peart disagree and believe the crossover should be done in a week to reduce the time in withdrawal.

At any rate I know I have to take the plunge this evening knowing that I may deal with hell week next week but I've now come so far I got to commit to it.

Just looking for a little love and support...

[73...]
Thank you for the reply. That's interesting that so far into your cross is when you're having the hardest time because I'm having a TERRIBLE day today (with that heightened anxiety, dizziness and inability to think clearly) and I figured the hardest time would be at the beginning and as your body got more acclimated to the Valium you'd be feeling better. I am worried about being on such a high dosage of Valium but I'm just doing so, so bad on Klonopin I don't know what to do.

Fuzzy: You may want to PM Benzogirl - she had to cross over to 70 mg of Valium as I recall.  I don't recall how long she held but she is on these boards and I am sure she will help you. 

We all do what we have to do to get off of these crazy benzos - hopefully the Valium will work for you, your body will adjust and then you can start your taper. 

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I'm going down to 2mg of Ativan a day, which is taken as 0.5mg, four times a day, then I'd like to crossover to valium.  My question is that in the ashton manual she says to half a dose ativan and add the other half in valium. 

For example

8am- 0.5mg ativan, will instead be 0.25mg ativan, and 2.50mg valium

She says to do this until all doses in the day are replaced.

For my situation is it necessary to half 0.5mg of ativan?  Does 0.25mg of ativan do anything?

Could I instead do:

8am - 5mg valium, replacing the whole dose of ativan since it is so low?

Thank you :)

I think the reason for gradual crossover to valium is not only to give you time to get over the sedation most people have at first but also allow the valium to really take effect which generally takes about two weeks.

• 1 year later...

Hoping to get some wisdom and/or guidance from people who crossed successfully to Valium.

I'm in Stage 4 of c/o from K to V and wondering how long the depression from V lasts, as well as when people seem to stabilize once fully crossed? 

In my experience so far, it's provided a lot of relief from the K interdose WDs and acute sxs I was having during micro-taper.  In this past 5 days I've lost my "spark", feel less interest in things (even my go to distractions), and just miss my spirit.  I don't feel like I'm in constant "fight or flight" mode anymore, so that's good!  Just really in need of some encouraging words and experiences. 

Can anyone chime in and offer some positives?  Is it normal to be a weird, bumpy ride during?  How long did it take you to stabilize after crossing over? 

Thank you so much, in advance!

Love,

Uni❤️

Back to report that the past few days have been SO much better!  I was beginning to doubt C/O but this is really working.  Those K WDs are BRUTAL at times, even underneath Valium. 

Found my sweet spot to be 5 days between stages but this last stage, I'm gonna wait longer.

I'm getting a break and feeling so much better, right now.  WAY better than I ever did after reinstating and even updosing Klonopin!!  Didn't even know this was possible during Benzo WD after a horrific CT experience. I'd much rather feel stable and "functional" and walk off than rush through and suffer the whole time.  Seems Valium is going to be the path for this to be possible. Slow and steady.

Patience, Hope and Healing...  What is patience again??  Oh, that's right...  It's what I'm finally learning to accept! 

Back to report that the past few days have been SO much better!  I was beginning to doubt C/O but this is really working.  Those K WDs are BRUTAL at times, even underneath Valium. 

Found my sweet spot to be 5 days between stages but this last stage, I'm gonna wait longer.

I'm getting a break and feeling so much better, right now.  WAY better than I ever did after reinstating and even updosing Klonopin!!  Didn't even know this was possible during Benzo WD after a horrific CT experience. I'd much rather feel stable and "functional" and walk off than rush through and suffer the whole time.  Seems Valium is going to be the path for this to be possible. Slow and steady.

Patience, Hope and Healing...  What is patience again??  Oh, that's right...  It's what I'm finally learning to accept!

Hey uni! Glad your getting some relief from Valium I had no idea you were having a tough time on k. I thought after teva being discontinued you switched over to brand K and were having success. I too am thinking about switching over to Valium. So far your doing better then on k it sounds like, glad to hear uni, hope you continue feeling better with each day

Such good news Uni!

Praying I have similar results.

Thank you for sharing.

Hey uni! Glad your getting some relief from Valium I had no idea you were having a tough time on k. I thought after teva being discontinued you switched over to brand K and were having success. I too am thinking about switching over to Valium. So far your doing better then on k it sounds like, glad to hear uni, hope you continue feeling better with each day

Hey Dub!

I had high hopes after switching to Brand, and some days were ok.  I tend to minimize my suffering on here, because I'm always looking for the positives and trying to remain hopeful.  I was suffering pretty badly when a lot of acute sxs (hallucinations, inability to take walks or stand in the shower, SI, constant fear state, and more) started coming back and/or got stronger... and even during a 3 week hold they got progressively worse.  Freaked me out way too much!  Also, I just couldn't handle the interdose WD's anymore.  Nor did I see how I would ever be able to get further down on K.  So, decided to do the good ol switch to Valium.  I'm still having K WDs now, under the Valium, but it's much more even keeled and I'm not in constant fear and overstimulated now.  The depression and lethargy from V is hard, so different than any feeling of depression I've ever felt, but most say it lifts.  I've had some really good days during C/O so far and have been able to participate in life more, here and there.  I'm so glad I decided to do this.  I support whatever decision you make!  If you're suffering too much on K and not getting anywhere, just know this is an option.  Jlavogt is in C/O too.  Some of us just can't do it on K. 

I hope you're doing okay, better than okay..  I've not been on much so I'm behind on how everyone is doing.  One of my buddies always reminds me, there is more than one way off of benzos and there are always options.  Helps a lot to remember this!  Love to you, Dub :hug:

Such good news Uni!

Praying I have similar results.

Thank you for sharing.

We've got this, Jen!!  You're doing great, hang in there friend.  And...

:happybday:

Love you!  :hug:

So glad to read that the crossover is working and that things are looking up despite the  Valium induced depression!!!

Yay to relief!

❤️❤️❤️