Cross-Over to Valium Support Thread

[2a...]

Following Ashton to a t. So overmedicated I am falling into things and I have been at it a pretty long time now. Going to need to drop 2 mg. Valium today. Keep reevaluating. Can't drive, can't walk well, can't wake up. I hate the sad, long and vivid drwams V keeps giving me. I like that it takes my terror away but big trade-off. Anxiety when I drop down but Ashton too much V for me.

Mozart, one thing you need to understand is that the Eqeuvilant dose tables is just a general comparision from experiance of most people some need more some need less you get the idea on the therory here, could be you do not need as much Valium as the majority of people i am doing a K to V C/O and take 30 mgs of V for my pm dose and sometimes i do not even feel it so i am one who may need more then what the Ashton method calls for so IMHO you need to tweak the equevelent part of the tables you read as it just a general guideline not written in stone !Feel Better ~ CD

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [la...]

• [ro...]

• [ly...]

• [et...]

Top Posters In This Topic

mozart- you need to listen to yourself, listen to your body, and don't doubt the messages. Don't be afraid to make changes where you feel they are right for you.

TY CD and Candice.

One thing I can't shake is the severe depression and loneliness.

CD I read your posts often at KK also. Hope you're ok.

Well, I created my own little 'crossing over from clonazepam to diazepam' support group, but I don't expect much of a response ...

I've been on 2 mg clonazepam a day for years, taking in the evening. After a foolish switch to lorazepam and attempt to taper (long story), I have switched to diazepam. I still have to deal with the tolerance to and dependence from lorazepam which I developed. Lorazepam was a good sleep drug at first, but its hypnotic and sedative properties wore off.

One of the issues is, exercise used to make the clonazepam less sedating, these days the clonazepam is even less sedating so doing real exercise is .... bad idea.

A direct switch. If not I would be tapering the clonazepam and that was the problem after all ... all sorts of physical reactions. Clonazepam has been a very physical drug for me, and I'm no longer in good health. Aside from sleep issues, taking clonazepam twice a day caused other issues as well and I have not attempted to take it twice a day for a long time.

Someone once asked me why I could't taper the clonazepam directly, and the phrase the other person came up with that it was 'physically destabilizing' which is a good way of putting it.

It can be 'mentally destabilizing' as well, in particular if I have to deal with this in poor health and in a state of exhaustion.

I've been on the diazepam for two days. First day at 35 mg, two doses of 15 mg and a 'sneak' dose of 2.5 mg at about 6 PM. My intention was to take it twice a day.

First the diazepam gave me euphoria, followed by some nasty and depressing sedation.

Anyway, I managed to sleep reasonably well the first night.

The second day I tried to go for two daily doses, in total 35 mg. I took a 'sneak' dose again at about 6 PM of 2.5 mg, which gave me gastrointestinal issues. The sedation was less. The initial euphoria was still there. I took in total 35 mg.

Falling asleep was very difficult. The diazepam taken in the late evening did not even feel sedating.

I only managed to fall asleep after 4 AM after I took a melatonin pill. I can't do that every day.

And I woke up like I had been in a coma.

I am very concerned about building up levels of diazepam and nordiazepam. Really, I'm not good with anxiolytic benzos at all. With a half life of 1-2 days for diazepam and 50-100 for its main metabolite, it can take 5 to 10 days to eliminate a single dose of diazepam.

Today, ocasionally I noticed some sedation, but mostly flat effect. Some disinterest, minor depression. I decided to halt taking the diazepam, I had already consumed 70 mg diazepam.

I don't want yet another problem drug, so I have to give this some thought.

Those strange peaks and valleys, diazepam sticking in the brain cells doing something, diazepam sticking in other fat cells doing something, take a dose which does something too ... so messy.

It just seems like a miserable drug to be on. Developing full tolerance and becoming dependent on it ... it's really mostly an anxiolytic (feels like), giving it two months to 'depend on it', then doing a long taper for a drug that may prove hard to tolerate ... Perhaps causing massive insomnia, other issues.

You get that I have to give this some thought ? If I were only taking 5-10 mg a day, that would be a different issue.

During the day I took a small dose of lorazepam to 'bridge', tonight I intend to take a dose of clonazepam. I'll have some diazepam in my body that will last some time anyway ...

Anyone else here who went from Klonopin/clonazepam to diazepam, and who is willing to share ?

Well, I created my own little 'crossing over from clonazepam to diazepam' support group, but I don't expect much of a response ...

I've been on 2 mg clonazepam a day for years, taking in the evening. After a foolish switch to lorazepam and attempt to taper (long story), I have switched to diazepam. I still have to deal with the tolerance to and dependence from lorazepam which I developed. Lorazepam was a good sleep drug at first, but its hypnotic and sedative properties wore off.

One of the issues is, exercise used to make the clonazepam less sedating, these days the clonazepam is even less sedating so doing real exercise is .... bad idea.

A direct switch. If not I would be tapering the clonazepam and that was the problem after all ... all sorts of physical reactions. Clonazepam has been a very physical drug for me, and I'm no longer in good health. Aside from sleep issues, taking clonazepam twice a day caused other issues as well and I have not attempted to take it twice a day for a long time.

Someone once asked me why I could't taper the clonazepam directly, and the phrase the other person came up with that it was 'physically destabilizing' which is a good way of putting it.

It can be 'mentally destabilizing' as well, in particular if I have to deal with this in poor health and in a state of exhaustion.

I've been on the diazepam for two days. First day at 35 mg, two doses of 15 mg and a 'sneak' dose of 2.5 mg at about 6 PM. My intention was to take it twice a day.

First the diazepam gave me euphoria, followed by some nasty and depressing sedation.

The second day I tried to go for two daily doses, in total 35 mg. I took a 'sneak' dose again at about 6 PM of 2.5 mg, which gave me gastrointestinal issues. The sedation was less. The initial euphoria was still there. I took in total 35 mg.

Falling asleep was very difficult. The diazepam taken in the late evening did not even feel sedating.

I only managed to fall asleep after 4 AM after I took a melatonin pill. I can't do that every day.

I am very concerned about building up levels of diazepam and nordiazepam. Really, I'm not good with anxiolytic benzos at all. With a half life of 1-2 days for diazepam and 50-100 for its main metabolite, it can take 5 to 10 days to eliminate a single dose of diazepam.

Today, ocasionally I noticed some sedation, but mostly flat effect. Some disinterest, minor depression. I decided to halt taking the diazepam, I had already consumed 70 mg diazepam.

Those strange peaks and valleys, diazepam sticking in the brain cells doing something, diazepam sticking in other fat cells doing something, take a dose which does something too ... so messy.

It just seems like a miserable drug to be on. Developing full tolerance and becoming dependent on it ... it's really mostly an anxiolytic (feels like), giving it two months to 'depend on it', then doing a long taper for a drug that may prove hard to tolerate ... Perhaps causing massive insomnia, other issues.

You get that I have to give this some thought ? If I were only taking 5-10 mg a day, that would be a different issue.

During the day I took a small dose of lorazepam to 'bridge', tonight I intend to take a dose of clonazepam. I'll have some diazepam in my body that will last some time anyway ...

Anyone else here who went from Klonopin/clonazepam to diazepam, and who is willing to share ?

Liberty, i will jump in as i a did a gradual C/O starting 9/14 from 4mgs K daily to 45mgs Valium and acording to Ashton charts to equal that amount of Klonopin i would need 80 mgs of Valium ! As of today i am still trying to completly get off the Klonopin and am holding at .585 mgs a day taken along with the 45 mgs of Valium can i say it is working ? There is no way i could have dropped 3.5 mgs of Klonopin in that time frame without the Valium but this is no joy ride as i am holding my cuts for a bit as the S/X `s have become rough but i am still functioning , so to be honest yes it`s helping me get off the Klonopin but like you mentioned i have to taper the Valium once done with Klonopin and i have been on Klonopin for 20 years! Love to hear your thoughts on this one ~CD

Liberty and CD

Been on benzos 39 years. Took Dalmane (long acting) for many years. Took Klonopin with Xanax or Serax many years.Was also put on all kinds of drugs inbetween over all the years. Benzos were the only ones to help my PTSD AND Atypical depression. Then they, especially K, turned on me 30 some years later. There went my life.  Crossed over to Valium fully recently. Very very depressed but takes the terror away. Always a trade off. Always bad. Gonna see it through on Valium. Don't even know if I will ever be able to survive without benzos or survive at all. Remains to be seen.

Liberty, i will jump in as i a did a gradual C/O starting 9/14 from 4mgs K daily to 45mgs Valium and acording to Ashton charts to equal that amount of Klonopin i would need 80 mgs of Valium ! As of today i am still trying to completly get off the Klonopin and am holding at .585 mgs a day taken along with the 45 mgs of Valium can i say it is working ? There is no way i could have dropped 3.5 mgs of Klonopin in that time frame without the Valium but this is no joy ride as i am holding my cuts for a bit as the S/X `s have become rough but i am still functioning , so to be honest yes it`s helping me get off the Klonopin but like you mentioned i have to taper the Valium once done with Klonopin and i have been on Klonopin for 20 years! Love to hear your thoughts on this one ~CD

Well, I respect your choice.

It's one way of doing things. However, it seems that there is great potential for these drugs to potentiate each other. It's a bit of an unknown variable.

If possible I would have suggested going lower with the Klonopin before introducing Valium, but what is done is done.

20 years is indeed a long time.

Liberty and CD

Been on benzos 39 years. Took Dalmane (long acting) for many years. Took Klonopin with Xanax or Serax many years.Was also put on all kinds of drugs inbetween over all the years. Benzos were the only ones to help my PTSD AND Atypical depression. Then they, especially K, turned on me 30 some years later. There went my life.  Crossed over to Valium fully recently. Very very depressed but takes the terror away. Always a trade off. Always bad. Gonna see it through on Valium. Don't even know if I will ever be able to survive without benzos or survive at all. Remains to be seen.

I recognize the depression. For me, mostly a lack of energy and unpleasant sedation. Little interest in things.

Unlike Klonopin (which has become a problem drug) it is not so much a 'dirty drug' like diazepam.

I mean, taking the dose does something, it sticks around in your brain for quite a while and also in other fat cells (long half life), the same goes for nordiazepam/desmethyldiazepam.

So messy, unlike Klonopin which is fairly straightforward.

For me, they are completely different drugs. I am concerned that I'll become dependent on yet another drug that turns against me, while I still have massive amounts of diazepam and desmethyldiazepam in my body. It would take to eliminate the drugs two months or more ? that is without tapering.

And the second night, sleep was so hard to get. I had to take some melatonin, which I cannot do every day.

And the diazepam and nordiazepam which is in your body, when will it 'come out of the fat cells', be released ?

When doing exercise, drinking, stress, taking other drugs ?

I think I have stated most of these things already. very concerned about getting dependent on a third drug that turns out to become a problem, possibly the biggest problem thus far.

As far as the Ashton method goes, clonazepam was hardly in use in the UK at the time, or was it ?

I wish there were a better way ...

Hey,

I c/o to Valium on 11.3.2015 from 52,5mg of oxazepam. I was taking oxazepam 11,25mg in the morning, same in the afternoon and then for the night 30 mg. Ashton's manual this daily dose would be equivalent to 26.25mg of V. But my doc calculated it to be approx. 17,5mg with +/- 25% margin. So, I've been now taking 12,5mg of V in the night and 5mg in the afternoon (12h interval). So far seems to be okay, I do feel perhaps slight withdrawal but it's much much more manageable than in the withdrawal between oxazepam doses.

I guess this straight jump is the okay? I didn't replace any oxazepam with V first like in the Ashton manual nor did my doc suggest that. I wouldn't want to take more V now so I guess I can let my body adjust to this V dose and the slowly continue from that?

Hi,

Well , I know that Valium takes a while to build up in the liver, approximately 4 weeks or so , it seems for most people, to be enough to cover the withdrawal symptoms from the original benzo.

Of you're feeling relatively okay now, maybe this works for you, I have to say that I know nothing about oxazepam. Is it a short acting benzo? What's the half life ?

Guessing short acting by the mention of interdose withdrawal?

Many doctors don't know or don't want to hear about the crossing over, so that's a good thing that yours is supportive.

Maybe it's a good idea for you to post this question on the Valium/ diazepam support group thread to reach more people?

Here is the link to it. Many there have crossed over to Valium.

Valium / diazepam support group

Hope that helps.. Sorry I don't know more about your original benzo...

What's this stuff about diazepam building up in the liver ? How is that relevant ?

I Can't wake up. This is scaring me. Been on benzos for decades, now Valium, one I hadn't been on. Have some kind of tolerance I would think to benzos. Since Valium I CANNOT WAKE UP and walking into things.

I Can't wake up. This is scaring me. Been on benzos for decades, now Valium, one I hadn't been on. Have some kind of tolerance I would think to benzos. Since Valium I CANNOT WAKE UP and walking into things.

I had one experience that was a bit similar.

The first day I slept fine. The second day I could not fall asleep and in the end I took some melatonin. I woke up as if I had been in a coma.  I don't recognize the 'walking into things'.

Perhaps the accumulation of diazepam is catching up with you ? In a way, it's there 'all the time'.

Do you fall asleep easily ?

Hey,

I c/o to Valium on 11.3.2015 from 52,5mg of oxazepam. I was taking oxazepam 11,25mg in the morning, same in the afternoon and then for the night 30 mg. Ashton's manual this daily dose would be equivalent to 26.25mg of V. But my doc calculated it to be approx. 17,5mg with +/- 25% margin. So, I've been now taking 12,5mg of V in the night and 5mg in the afternoon (12h interval). So far seems to be okay, I do feel perhaps slight withdrawal but it's much much more manageable than in the withdrawal between oxazepam doses.

I guess this straight jump is the okay? I didn't replace any oxazepam with V first like in the Ashton manual nor did my doc suggest that. I wouldn't want to take more V now so I guess I can let my body adjust to this V dose and the slowly continue from that?

Hi,

Well , I know that Valium takes a while to build up in the liver, approximately 4 weeks or so , it seems for most people, to be enough to cover the withdrawal symptoms from the original benzo.

Of you're feeling relatively okay now, maybe this works for you, I have to say that I know nothing about oxazepam. Is it a short acting benzo? What's the half life ?

Guessing short acting by the mention of interdose withdrawal?

Many doctors don't know or don't want to hear about the crossing over, so that's a good thing that yours is supportive.

Maybe it's a good idea for you to post this question on the Valium/ diazepam support group thread to reach more people?

Here is the link to it. Many there have crossed over to Valium.

Valium / diazepam support group

Hope that helps.. Sorry I don't know more about your original benzo...

What's this stuff about diazepam building up in the liver ? How is that relevant ?

Bump. Sorry for posting that much.

But I'd like to know how the diazepam building up in the liver is relevant.

My BB

Need your help. Can this happen from w/d or Valium?..I am taking two 10 mg V one in the morning and and one in the evening as per Ashton schedule 5 stage 10. I feel so much agitation rage and in a nightmarish state. So hard to bear. I want to drop another 2 mg tomorrow as per schedule saying I can drop in one to two weeks. This would be day 8. I do have waves of hellish, severe anxiety piercing through too. This is a nightmare. Sedated and angry both. Stimulated sedated it fluctuates.To clarify I mean this would be day 8 or 9 of this stage only not of my entire crossover.

Hi BB friends. I have missed you all. I have been very sick with both sinus and bronchitis infection. I am in withdrawal Hell on top of it. On antibiotic. I have had a fever anywhere from 99.5 to 100.8 for a month which won't go away. Not only should the doctor have ordered a Ct of my sinuses but she should lengthen the 10 day course of my Doxycycline. She did a lung fray and bloodwork but that's it. She actually had her assistant call me to tell me she thinks my thermometer must be wrong. But I had a fever in her office!!! And I have 2 thermometers. They're not wrong.  I am very upset. If I call her again they will think I am neurotic and I will lose her. I AM incredibly neurotic. Worse now because I sm in so much severe terror and sx from the Valium taper. I am in Hell all over again. Very scared I will die. I cannot calm down at all. I am completely bedridden. Was supposed to go with stepson and hubby to a Father's Day restaurant meal tonight.  Couldn't go. I need you guys I am TRULY inconsolable like the little girl who just list her mom that I was at eleven. I cannot calm down. My biggest fear is not only the fever that recurs daily but that I am freezing on 90 degree days.One time I had something like this and my tooth was infected.  Doctors couldn't figure it out then either.  I got hooked on oxycodone then. Now it could be another tooth that is tender.  I cannot take opiates if another tooth has to try to be saved. I may have to get it pulled like my other MAIN tooth was on the other side. And my upper airways sound like the possessed girl wheezing in the exorcist.  I would be grateful for your help.  Inconsolable.

Mozart

My BB

Need your help. Can this happen from w/d or Valium?..I am taking two 10 mg V one in the morning and and one in the evening as per Ashton schedule 5 stage 10. I feel so much agitation rage and in a nightmarish state. So hard to bear. I want to drop another 2 mg tomorrow as per schedule saying I can drop in one to two weeks. This would be day 8. I do have waves of hellish, severe anxiety piercing through too. This is a nightmare. Sedated and angry both. Stimulated sedated it fluctuates.To clarify I mean this would be day 8 or 9 of this stage only not of my entire crossover.

Sure happens to me on Xanax......weird $hit like that....

• 9 months later...
[3f...]

I know this is an old thread, but I am doing a crossover from zopiclone to valium.

I was taking a cheap generic zopiclonen from an online pharmacy, the pills were supposed to be 7.5mg but they were probably less due to the price.

I was taking upto twelve of these zopiclones a day.

I knew I wanted to crossover to valium before tapering, but I was not sure of the valium dose I would need, due to not being sure what was in the cheap zopiclones.

I could need anything from 30mg of valium a day to 60mg.

I read about crossovers, and the time they took put me off, so I just switched over to 10mg valium 3 x a day. 30mg in total.

Even though I took 30mg in total in one day, wd symtpoms came bach harsh, so i decied to split my dose of 12 7.5mg zopiclones into 4 six hourly doses and each week, replace one of those with valium, hoping that I was taking the right amount of valium.

So it looks like this so far

Stage 1 - 4 6hrly doses of 3 zopiclone

Stage 2 - 3 6hrly doses of 3 zopiclone, one dose of 10mg valium

Stage 3 - 2 6hrly doses of 3 zopiclone two doses of 10g valium (this is the stage I have just completed)

It's going ok so far, the 10mg valium seems to be covering the 3 zopiclone pills of unkonwn dose. So, this proves that the zopiclone 7.5mgs I got, were not 7.5 otherwise the 2 10mg valiums wouldnt be enough.

This week, instead of taking 3 doses of valium and one of zopiclone, I might just start taking 10mg valium 3 x a day, because I have a feeling that 30mmg valium plus 3 zopiclone pills may be too much, but my body will soon tell me otherwise, and I can always increase the valium.

I hope that one week at each med chamge has been enough for the valium to settle in and build up a little.

I don't want to have to go on 40mg valium if I don't need it, I want to start tapering at as compfy andn as low a dose as possisble.

• 1 year later...

Old thread but figured I'd give it a shot.

I am currently on my 2nd week of crossing over from Clonazapam to Valium. I only ever took my dose once per day at bed time. I had gotten down to 0.4733mgs Clonazapam but even with a daily micro taper I just couldn't shake the endless extreme insomnia symptoms going 5 days plus without sleeping an hour and even holding things weren't improving. I have read that Clonazapam was less than ideal for withdrawal and tapering and that valium was the way to go.

Looked at Ashton's schedule around the cross over however it's all based upon people who dis multiple times per day.

So my question is my adding 20%valium removing 20% Clonazapam per week ideal in my situation?

My first week I slept 3 days and 4 days insomnia, two days into this week I've slept and it's been hard to get out of bed I also seem really Spacey and the brain fog is worse than it's ever been during the Clonazapam taper is this normal is it just th cross over creating increased brain fog or is this just how valium will be for the whole of the taper? I feel really dumb and am walking weird legs like Jello.

I am shooting for 9.46mg Valium or maybe go for 9 mgs depending on how I'm feeling in the last week of the cross over.

Considering I'm doing this gradually at a rate of 20 % per week do I really need to wait a full month once the cross over is done before I start tapering again? Could I not just wait two weeks? I worry about starting my taper already in tolerance withdrawal

Ooogh I waited a few weeks at least before I started tapering but I see a lot of folks just start right off the bat. Everyone is able to reduce at their own speed and sadly its hard to know what that is without just doing. In the year I have been on here I see a lot of folks doing both and it seems like some do great cutting fast but others cant- and at the same time many like me go slow and do ok and others go slow and do poorly. Its probably best to stick to a recommended schedule at least at first and if you do well then increase- at least that way you may not get hit as hard. Whatever way you decide to go I wish you good luck

Ooogh I waited a few weeks at least before I started tapering but I see a lot of folks just start right off the bat. Everyone is able to reduce at their own speed and sadly its hard to know what that is without just doing. In the year I have been on here I see a lot of folks doing both and it seems like some do great cutting fast but others cant- and at the same time many like me go slow and do ok and others go slow and do poorly. Its probably best to stick to a recommended schedule at least at first and if you do well then increase- at least that way you may not get hit as hard. Whatever way you decide to go I wish you good luck

Thanks

Tolerance will not be an issue with those timelines and erring on the side of caution is always a good idea.

etown

Tolerance will not be an issue with those timelines and erring on the side of caution is always a good idea.

etown

One more thing I've read mixed things about this. How many doses per day are you supposed to take I've heard both one and two times mentioned?

I had been up to this point only dosing once per day at bed time with both Clonazapam and Diazepam. My most prevalent wd symptom is always extreme insomnia which is why I became an addict in the first place so had been taking it all at once to help with sleep.

Is this actually counter productive in the long run?  Should I be splitting my dose once I'm all the way crossed over ?

Valium has a half life of up to 200 hours so there is not usually a problem with interdose WD. So If you have been dosing once per day I would suggest to keep it that way.

etown

Valium has a half life of up to 200 hours so there is not usually a problem with interdose WD. So If you have been dosing once per day I would suggest to keep it that way.

etown

Cool thanks again. Just curious how long did it take you to taper off your 27.5mgs of Valium?