Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Example of a Valium/Diazepam Daily Reduction Method

[Di...]

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Di...]

• [bu...]

• [me...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks Diaz, its a big help for everyone, you are very helpful for replying.

Also I was in my doctor yesterday and had given antibiotic due to (UTI) urinary tract infection.  i wasnt sure about the Distaclor(Cefaclor) antibiotic.  I've taken one lastnight but keep awaking every hour and spasm become more and heartbeat.

Is there anyone who had it before?  not sure if there is interaction between benzo.

the doctor said he can change prescription if there is reaction for me.

ANY SUGGESTION PLEASE in your own experience, what antibiotic you had taken while on benzo.

thanks, mcm

No one reply yet!!             

Also I was in my doctor yesterday and had given antibiotic due to (UTI) urinary tract infection.  i wasnt sure about the Distaclor(Cefaclor) antibiotic.  I've taken one lastnight but keep awaking every hour and spasm become more and heartbeat.

Is there anyone who had it before?  not sure if there is interaction between benzo.

the doctor said he can change prescription if there is reaction for me.

ANY SUGGESTION PLEASE in your own experience, what antibiotic you had taken while on benzo.

thanks, mcm

Hi D-Pam  :)-I posted a longer question (and bit confusing, due to visit of cousin who is also member of BB, don't ask ::)!). I'll try to keep this query shorter, although it's basically the same one.

I've tapered down from 26 mg to 16 mg in the past few months (.5 mg every 2 weeks or so). I've made 3 attempts in the past 2 months to cut and hold in increasingly small increments, from .5-.125 but haven't managed to maintain and be functional.

Having followed the daily taper thread for some time, I figured I'd be an MT/DT-er by between 10-4 mg but looks like sooner than later. Thanks to all your info and encouragement, I'm disappointed I couldn't stick with the pills for a while longer, but not freaked out totally!

What I'm hoping to get your opinion on-bearing in mind everyone is sooo different, so no absolutes-is: since [i think!] you mentioned you tried milk/vodka/liquid v, is there any one medium you feel works for more people than another?

At this point, I'm leaning towards liquid v if my doc will prescribe (+ availability in Canada), or milk. My other 'open ended' question regards the amount of DT to start with; I realize that's not a fair one, but out of my 3 unsuccessful cut and holds from 16, .5 was BAD/.25 not much better/.125? was okay-ish.

After a week, I tried another .125, and that went badly. So, I've hopped back up to 16 for now to get stable-and plan for the DT route. Thanks again for taking up the baton from flipbrain, so to speak, and being such a helpful and inspirational advocate for MT/DT.

I really have read almost every? word you've written re: above, and apologize for asking for a bit more clarification on a personal point or two. THX muchos, again :thumbsup:!

p.s.  would you be interested in exchanging homes for the next coupla months; you'd really find it refreshing here after that pesky Aussie summer haha!!

Hi D-Pam  :)-I posted a longer question (and bit confusing, due to visit of cousin who is also member of BB, don't ask ::)!). I'll try to keep this query shorter, although it's basically the same one.

I've tapered down from 26 mg to 16 mg in the past few months (.5 mg every 2 weeks or so). I've made 3 attempts in the past 2 months to cut and hold in increasingly small increments, from .5-.125 but haven't managed to maintain and be functional.

Having followed the daily taper thread for some time, I figured I'd be an MT/DT-er by between 10-4 mg but looks like sooner than later. Thanks to all your info and encouragement, I'm disappointed I couldn't stick with the pills for a while longer, but not freaked out totally!

What I'm hoping to get your opinion on-bearing in mind everyone is sooo different, so no absolutes-is: since [i think!] you mentioned you tried milk/vodka/liquid v, is there any one medium you feel works for more people than another?

At this point, I'm leaning towards liquid v if my doc will prescribe (+ availability in Canada), or milk. My other 'open ended' question regards the amount of DT to start with; I realize that's not a fair one, but out of my 3 unsuccessful cut and holds from 16, .5 was BAD/.25 not much better/.125? was okay-ish.

After a week, I tried another .125, and that went badly. So, I've hopped back up to 16 for now to get stable-and plan for the DT route. Thanks again for taking up the baton from flipbrain, so to speak, and being such a helpful and inspirational advocate for MT/DT.

I really have read almost every? word you've written re: above, and apologize for asking for a bit more clarification on a personal point or two. THX muchos, again :thumbsup:!

p.s.  would you be interested in exchanging homes for the next coupla months; you'd really find it refreshing here after that pesky Aussie summer haha!!

Those are just 3 different ways to liquify part of your benzo dose.  Its really the specific taper regimen that will determine the outcome, not the mechanics of liquifying.  Assuming a proper taper procedure and schedule, any one of the 3 methods  should give successful results.

Rx liquid is probably the easiest because you start with  known stable product with reliable consistency and strength.  The other 2 methods do require a seperate mixing step, and reasonable care has to be taken to get correct proportions/ratios, but its still pretty simple.  Once its liquid, both the taper procedure and progress should be pretty much the same.

Welcome to the daily taper club..lol… There are a lot worse places to be! I find 10mg seems to be the turning point for a lot of people, but then there’s nothing to say you can’t start one at any time, and certainly if you’re having problems, sooner rather than later is always best.

Yes, I used all three methods, and changed for various reasons, none of which was because that method wasn’t working. I can’t say that I’ve really noticed a particular trend for one method over another. I personally think the ones with the least amount of messing around though are Liquid Valium and vodka, mainly because you don’t have the spoilage/refrigeration issues you have with milk.

I think a good place to start is a pretty mid-range cut of say around 7% to 8% per month. At 16mg that would be about 1mg to 1.2mg per month. So on a daily basis that would be 0.03mg to 0.04mg per day. On a weekly basis that would be about 0.2mg to 0.3mg. So those cuts would be a bit more than the 0.125mg you did, but the difference would be that you are doing the cut really gradually, so it could work better for you.

If you are going to use a 100ml solution that would be equivalent to 3ml to 4ml per day. Of course if that sized cut makes you nervous, you could always try a smaller cut, like maybe 0.025mg (or 2.5ml of a 100ml solution).

No problem at all. It always gives me a real thrill when someone comes here really scared and totally confused about a liquid taper, but within a very short period of time you literally see their light bulb moment. That's always a good feeling.

Our summer hasn’t actually been too bad where I live (Brisbane). A few sweltery days here and there, but the people in Southern Australian (Adelaide, Melbourne) have had a much worse summer than us. Looking forward to the cooler weather though in a month or so.

Thanks sooo much, Builder and Diaz-Pam :smitten:!! Very reassuring to hear about DT/MT, especially when I'm still a bit jittery after my most recent venture below 16 mg a few days ago (must embrace inner calm person-if they exist!?).

I read both your posts carefully, and am going to print them out for convenience; when I'm not trying to keep the 'Canajun, Eh?!' support thread going, I totally have been lurking among y'all. Not like a stalker, just an aspiring daily taperer ::)! Knew I'd be joining the club at some point!

I appreciate your math calculations, D-Pam; for a numerilliterate? like me, they're invaluable (luckily hubby is math brainiac, but feel more trust at the moment in BB icons  :)). Also it's nice to have your take on comparative rates, and what I might be comfortable starting at.

Doing the c/o from Ativan, I never felt the slightest! sedated; as a small, hyperactive person I tend to have the metabolism of a hummingbird (people have asked me if I'm diabetic or hyperglycemic 'cuz I am a dedicated snacker i.e. in the middle of schooling a horse over jumps, I'll steer to the middle of the ring, and scarf down a handful of walnuts and dark chocolate...horse gets carrots later!).

I wonder if that's why I'm struggling right now, but I'm more likely just slightly demented; the 'why's' of the matter aren't really the issue, so I have to deal with my situation as best I can, period. I've got some of my DT duck in a rows, and may have more dumb questions/comments as I go along.

But I like your light bulb metaphor, Diaz-Pam; you'll be the first to know when I have my illuminating MT/DT epiphany  :thumbsup:! Thanks again!

p.s. I have an aunt on a small 'station/farm' a bit north of Melbourne, and they are pretty warm; glad your area is not so bad. I bicycled about 20k a day for the past 9 days outside, unheard of for even Southern Ontario in most winters (unless you're a bike FREAK!). It was right around -2 to +9 celcius for a while, but now back to snow and sub-zero, so on with the winter pyjamas for the horses!). Say hi to the sun for me!!

North of Melbourne had some bush-fire troubles this summer I think. I hope your aunt is okay.

Brisbane is further north (just over an hour's flight north of Sydney, or about two hours from Melbourne) so while we're technically more tropical, we actually get nicer north/north-easterly winds in summer off the Pacific Ocean. We do get more humidity, but generally our temperatures are lower and we tend to not have the same bush-fire problems they get in southern Australia.

We definitely won't get as cold as you in winter though. Usually minimums around 7-10 ish and maximums around 20-ish (celsius).

Dear Diaz-Pam,

I've been reading through a bunch of this thread and haven't come across an answer to a question I have:

When you drop your 1mg of diazepam into opaque milk, how can you tell when it is fully dissolved?  Also, how can you ensure the drug is evenly distributed throughout the liquid in a uniform amount?

Finally, because questions beget questions, I see your signature shows .5 reductions all the way from 5mg to 1mg. At what point did you begin to do your liquid taper? Not until 1mg?

Thank you very much!

--Ed

Hi Diaz and everyone,  Can I use just water for my tablet if switch to microtaper daily== i could not stand with vodka or milk. due to side effects and i have stomach ulcers too.

Im on 3 mg Diazepam at the moment  1mg--11a.m-----2mg 7pm

any idea if i need to start taper the am dose till only evening dose left, im afraid as well for the interdose withrawal.

if im on once day do you think no interdose x/s.

need hellp!

mcm

Dear Diaz-Pam,

I've been reading through a bunch of this thread and haven't come across an answer to a question I have:

When you drop your 1mg of diazepam into opaque milk, how can you tell when it is fully dissolved?  Also, how can you ensure the drug is evenly distributed throughout the liquid in a uniform amount?

Well I suppose you can't really because of the colour, but if you want to make sure your tablet has completely broken down you could maybe put it in a tiny bit of milk first where you can see it break down and then add it to the full amount of milk. Just note that the tablet won't completely dissolve or disappear because the fillers/binders will still be there, but that's not valium.

The distribution is something you have to trust. I always did a backwards and forwards "swishing" movement to mix mine, plus I would always pull up and push down on the syringe between each pull when I was measuring out my dose to make sure it was constantly being mixed.

Finally, because questions beget questions, I see your signature shows .5 reductions all the way from 5mg to 1mg. At what point did you begin to do your liquid taper? Not until 1mg?

Thank you very much!

--Ed

If you look at the top of the dates in my signature you will see I started a daily taper right from the beginning when I was at 5mg. Those are only milestone dates. I was decreasing every day (or most days - depending on holds).

Hi Diaz and everyone,  Can I use just water for my tablet if switch to microtaper daily== i could not stand with vodka or milk. due to side effects and i have stomach ulcers too.

Im on 3 mg Diazepam at the moment  1mg--11a.m-----2mg 7pm

any idea if i need to start taper the am dose till only evening dose left, im afraid as well for the interdose withrawal.

if im on once day do you think no interdose x/s.

need hellp!

mcm

You could try it, but it's not something I would recommend. I've never done it myself, but I have seen a lot of people get very mixed results using just water. Some do okay, but others don't.

There are alternatives to milk, like almond, soy etc. It's really just the fat content you need. If it's similar to full-fat milk it should be okay. There are also suspension agents you can get from the pharmacy, called Ora-Sweet and Ora-Plus, but I've never used them so I don't have any experience to pass on.

If all else fails you could try dry tapering by weighing with a jewellers scale. Once again, I've never used that method, and I do think liquid tapering is better, but it could work for you if you simply can't do a liquid taper. I would actually prefer the weighing method over the plain water method.

Also, the amount of vodka you use is so tiny I honestly don't think it should be too much of an issue for anyone. You could get away with using 1ml with 1mg of valium. Measure that with a syringe and you will see just how tiny it is. Then you aren't even consuming that full 1ml every day. Each day you will be consuming a smaller and smaller portion of that 1ml, so the amount you are getting is really just so miniscule. There is more alcohol in a glass of orange juice.

How you taper your doses is up to you. You could taper one at a time or you could taper each dose evenly. I only dosed once a day, so I don't have an actual opinion on what is the best way to do it.

Dear Diaz-Pam,

Well I suppose you can't really because of the colour, but if you want to make sure your tablet has completely broken down you could maybe put it in a tiny bit of milk first where you can see it break down and then add it to the full amount of milk. Just note that the tablet won't completely dissolve or disappear because the fillers/binders will still be there, but that's not valium.

The distribution is something you have to trust. I always did a backwards and forwards "swishing" movement to mix mine, plus I would always pull up and push down on the syringe between each pull when I was measuring out my dose to make sure it was constantly being mixed.

Thank you very much!

--Ed

If you look at the top of the dates in my signature you will see I started a daily taper right from the beginning when I was at 5mg. Those are only milestone dates. I was decreasing every day (or most days - depending on holds).

D-Pam,

Thank you so much for the quick responses. They will be very helpful.

Just a couple more questions:

1) How long should I leave the pill in the milk and should I swish the milk back and forth the whole time?

2)Should I make the mixture at night and leave it in the fridge overnight, then swish it again (or will the diazepam remain suspended on its own overnight?)

I currently take 4mg at 11am and 3mg at 10pm(ish).

3)Is this an okay spread for a timeline (11 hours between doses)?

4) When I switch over to a liquid taper, should I reduce from the higher dose at 11am or should I reduce equally from each dose?

Thank you,

Ed

There are many helpful, experienced and informed BB folks on here, but hard to believe how you tirelessly and patiently advocate for DT/MT-without being pushy or tetchy about it, Diaz-Pam. I don't generally ooze praise (certainly not indiscriminately!), but my mother always made a point of noting how many people find it easy to criticize things...yet are oblivious when it comes to expressing gratitude and/or recognition of helpfulness. So there.

Anyhow, thanks again for answering my specific questions so speedily  :thumbsup:! I know I've claimed to have read almost all you've written, but I have a leaky brain, so can I ask what you've no doubt covered before: do you recommend using the amber vs. clear glass containers some people seem to use for whatever 'elixir' you use? Sorry to be clueless  ::), but am totally appreciative of your input!

p.s. yeah, auntie had some close calls with brush fires; glad you're out of harm's way. I am about THIS close to stowing away on a Quantas plane; you know it's winter in Canada, Eh? when even though you live in a [small] city, people are snowmobiling down your street/sidewalk! I used to think that only happened in the north and the prairies (when I lived there), but give Southern Ontario types 2" of snow and everyone grabs their snow blowers and skidoos  :crazy: !

D-Pam,

Thank you so much for the quick responses. They will be very helpful.

Just a couple more questions:

1) How long should I leave the pill in the milk and should I swish the milk back and forth the whole time?

2)Should I make the mixture at night and leave it in the fridge overnight, then swish it again (or will the diazepam remain suspended on its own overnight?)

I used to make it up the day/night before I needed it and just left it in the fridge overnight. However, if I got caught short and needed to make and use at the same time I'd just leave it for about 30 minutes or so, but I'm not even sure if you really need to do that.

I also used to just swish it before and as I was measuring out what I needed.

I currently take 4mg at 11am and 3mg at 10pm(ish).

3)Is this an okay spread for a timeline (11 hours between doses)?

4) When I switch over to a liquid taper, should I reduce from the higher dose at 11am or should I reduce equally from each dose?

Thank you,

Ed

Everyone's dosing needs will be different. Some people only dose once a day (eg me) and others need to dose 2, 3 or 4 times a day. If you feel okay with 11 hours between doses then that's the right amount of time for you. If you feel you need to dose closer together you could always experiment with 3 doses a day.

Similarly with how you reduce your doses. It really depends on the individual. As I only dosed once a day I don't feel qualified to give advice on how to do that. Some people taper off each dose individually and others taper each dose equally. I suppose it depends on whether you aim is to continue dosing twice a day or if you would like to eventually dose once a day. If it's once a day then just reduce from one dose at a time, but if you plan on continuing your two doses then taper each one equally.

There are many helpful, experienced and informed BB folks on here, but hard to believe how you tirelessly and patiently advocate for DT/MT-without being pushy or tetchy about it, Diaz-Pam. I don't generally ooze praise (certainly not indiscriminately!), but my mother always made a point of noting how many people find it easy to criticize things...yet are oblivious when it comes to expressing gratitude and/or recognition of helpfulness. So there.

Aww thanks, that's really sweet of you.

Anyhow, thanks again for answering my specific questions so speedily  :thumbsup:! I know I've claimed to have read almost all you've written, but I have a leaky brain, so can I ask what you've no doubt covered before: do you recommend using the amber vs. clear glass containers some people seem to use for whatever 'elixir' you use? Sorry to be clueless  ::), but am totally appreciative of your input!

I personally don't think it matters much because mostly you should store your mixtures in a cupboard away from the light anyway. I used clear glass jars. I suppose the amber glass ones could be helpful if you have to carry your doses around with you, like when you're working or travelling.

p.s. yeah, auntie had some close calls with brush fires; glad you're out of harm's way. I am about THIS close to stowing away on a Quantas plane; you know it's winter in Canada, Eh? when even though you live in a [small] city, people are snowmobiling down your street/sidewalk! I used to think that only happened in the north and the prairies (when I lived there), but give Southern Ontario types 2" of snow and everyone grabs their snow blowers and skidoos  :crazy: !

Glad to hear they were only close calls.

Sending it by express air mail now...  8) although we haven't got much of it ourselves at the moment. Pretty cloudy outside at the moment.

Appreciate the EXPRESS air mail-waiting by snow drift covered mailbox ::)! Will settle for warm clouds!! right now :thumbsup:! Seriously, this northern hemisphere living ain't for everyone; I used to work for a national ski promotion program whose slogan was "Don't hibernate, participate!" HA.

When I took my coaching certification (3-5 days spent mostly on snow), I was voted 'most likely to be found in warming hut!' My examiner actually asked, "Do you really like skiing?" Luckily, once in front of a sweetly hopeful group of ski newbies, I was able to switch on my intrepid and encouraging personality  ::).

I have a good friend from NZ who is a botanist, and does a lot of summer work in the Arctic; great, since the sun never goes down for those brief summer months! She's taken up skiing and trying to embrace snow, but finally conceded she couldn't survive :P  without taking a mild AD.

Dunno how folks in 'the land of the midnight sun' (and the pretty much 24 hour winter darkness) survive. If most or many of us in southern Canada get some cabin fever in the winter, I think I'd just succumb to full on 'shack delirium' and have to get air lifted to the tropics ::).

Yes you've got the hang of it. However, if you are on 3mg per day, I would suggest not going over a 1.5ml per day cut initially (which is 0.015mg). That will take 66 days to reduce 1mg. Maybe you could try 2ml per day, but I really don't think I'd like to be cutting more than that. When I was on 5mg I was only cutting between 2ml and 2.5ml per day.

You can always increase it as you go if you feel you can, but you really don't want to get too ambitious to start with because then you might only have to end up holding anyway.

thanks, So i will try in my next cut i need to stabilise first cause im on antibiotic at the moment due to UTI, very bad s/x

Can I just mix water if im using liquid Diazepam? Im stuck on 3mg.  I will try to cut 1mg every month.

thanks MCM

Yes you've got the hang of it. However, if you are on 3mg per day, I would suggest not going over a 1.5ml per day cut initially (which is 0.015mg). That will take 66 days to reduce 1mg. Maybe you could try 2ml per day, but I really don't think I'd like to be cutting more than that. When I was on 5mg I was only cutting between 2ml and 2.5ml per day.

You can always increase it as you go if you feel you can, but you really don't want to get too ambitious to start with because then you might only have to end up holding anyway.

thanks Again,

Im planning to taper when im stabilise cause Im on antibiotic this time due to UTI, so I hold on to my 3mg Diazepanm at the moment.

Can you help me to PLan Please, i will be using Liquid Diazepam suspension 2mg/5ml

So i need to dilute 2.5ml LD to 97.5 water to make 100ml solution

then discard 3.5ml everyday if I choose to withraw 1mg every 28 day

when i go down to 2mg D-- ineed to discard 2.5ml daily

at 1mg D--------------------how much i need to discard daily? is 2ml ok?  and how many days i can keep the mix solution coz if going half way i dont need to throw the solution, i can use it next day.

another question--Can i use just water to mix for the liquid Diazepam to make the 100 solution?

Im not good in math as well and my brain this time not really ok.... so i need help especially the decimamal point and converting to decimal point.

3MG dIAZEPAM =  1MG AM  ===2MG NIGHT PLEASE HELP ME PLAN how to do it ....Im begging to anyone who can draw my plan

coz im not yet familiar oon Micro daily tapering. ineed help to take out this meds in my system. it causing me delay and stop working at the moment i couldnt bear the S/x  i have a child who needs support.

waiting for your helping hands.

MCM

thanks, So i will try in my next cut i need to stabilise first cause im on antibiotic at the moment due to UTI, very bad s/x

Can I just mix water if im using liquid Diazepam? Im stuck on 3mg.  I will try to cut 1mg every month.

thanks MCM

Yes.

thanks MCM

Yes.

Yes !!! i can only use water to mix the solution. Thanks Builder for the reply

How about the mix solution how long I can keep it if I dont want to throw the one that i disard, can i keep it nextday specially wen im already in the very very low dose.  is it necessary to keep in the fridge if already mix.

thanks again. mcm

There is no need to discard your diluted solution, it will be stable and reasonably non-perishable.  I always made enough dilute solution to last 10-14 days, sometimes a little longer.  Protect from light in a sealed container and store at room temp.