Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

haha thanks, but you're suppose to encourage me to keep cutting, not just kick it.. :laugh:

you vounteered way too enthusiastically..

normal anxiety? thats a good thing, right?!? (Kinda)

atleast its not out the roof messed up anxiety...

good luck wit dat ..

my poor blind mare hurt her foot today, the horse shoer's coming tomorrow, it will be the worse day of my current cut, usually is the 3rd day, plus when someone comes like that and ties up the whole day it makes me really nervous, I guess because I anticipate having a problem and dont wanna be embarrassed, so I guess I'll "hold" in my cut tonight and not cut more until tomorrow night, that should help

has anybody not cut on time "just because"...I always wonder if its ok to do that or if you should just push on through, I guess waiting til your "mentally" prepared to do a cut is ok, if you have the luxury of doing so...like youre not on a time scheduele, or running out of meds. etc...

I held on any cuts from Thanksgiving til New Year's the year I was tapering.  The holiday stress was too much to keep cutting at that time.  Your body will let you know.

Hopeful,

Proud of you for doing so well through your ordeal.  Now that was a test for sure.  I hope you won't be going through the bad part of town anymore!  :D

Love,

Mama  :smitten:

Benzy...I am not Babyrex, but I will be glad to kick your butt if that is what it takes to keep you in line. :laugh:

I have to do a procedure I have never done before at work today. I can feel the anxiety monster already :tickedoff: I have prepared myself by printing out instructions and watching a video on youtube. I think this is normal anxiety vs withdrawal. None the less, it still is uncomfortable.

Blue :smitten:

Blue,

I'm not Babyrex either...

I say let's all form a butt kicking line and make Benzy walk it :muscle:  hopefully,This will assure that he stays in line :laugh:

We love you Benzy :smitten:

FluterByee

whoo hoo! its been a strangely good day!!

been up snce 6 this morning, worked with the farrier all morning/noon, then hauled a load of hay, just got through at 6... I aint lasted this long in 2 years, it must be a "window"?

I wanna lay down and nap really bad, after this big cheeseburger, but that'll mess it all up, maybe I can tough it out til feeding time and then go to bed like a normal person  :D

Tapering Off Xanax Without Valium:

Can this even be done smoothly on a benzo with a short half-life or is it going to be a rough road?  I can't get diazepam or any other benzo with a longer half-life (no doctor, no money).

If you have done this I'd appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Thanks

Welcome to the Xanax thread Rebel Maven.  Yes, tapering directly from Xanax is doable.  As I mentioned to you on your other thread, I completed my Xanax taper in April.  Please don't think you can't do this because those of us posting on this thread are living proof it can be done.  :thumbsup:

hey  Rebel, we're all tapering straight from Xanax here, thats what this threads for..

are you going to dry cut, or do a titration?

Im dry cutting, those that are usually cut .0625 at a time, that equals out to Dr Ashtons 5-10% cut of your current dose, its a 1/4th of a .25 pill..

its been pretty smooth for me, others have had a few problems, but its very do-able...

biggest problem with the short life is inter-dose withdrawals, some split their doses 3 or 4 times a day, I still just do the one dose, Ive had a few interdose problems here and there, but nothing major, not enough to make me change anything...

ps. I started at 2 mgs, I was on 2 mgs a day for about a year, with a few extra doses here and there, and I generally cut every 3 to 4 weeks, sometimes earlier if I feel OK...

I was in tolerance for a year, but Ive felt better and better the lower I got, today was my best day yet....

I  have been on Xanax for 23 years and taking as much as 4mg a day, mostly SID.

I think that I am going to do a liquid micro taper with possible holds and increase the dosing from SID to BID or TID depending on my sleep habits and the amount of time that I am up that day.

I think that I am going to do a liquid micro taper with possible holds and increase the dosing from SID to BID or TID depending on my sleep habits and the amount of time that I am up that day.

Please don't be discouraged because of the length of time you've taken Xanax or your dosing of 4mg.  Me and a few others took it even longer and in higher doses.  You can do this!  :thumbsup:

Hello there,

Just wanted to drop you a note and let ya know that I micro water taper, and am now 72% free from my starting dose, so if you want/need help with it, just hollar! Hopefulgirl and Carita on here both have successfully become Xanax free using water titration as well, so know that it absolutely CAN be done ;)

Baby-I have aged a lot too. I look at myself and think wow! Who is that?  :laugh: However, like you, I am ok with it. Sure I wish I hadn't aged but I earned every bit of grey hair and every wrinkle and no wonder I look tired and beat up! I am so grateful that my body is carrying me through this.

Benzy-I'm sorry about your horse. I hope it all goes well tomorrow!

Hopeful,

I'm getting beaten up big time!  Such an awful day!  I've avoided mirrors for so long it hard to remember what I used to look like...  But today I spent some time looking in the mirror trying to reacquaint myself.  Guess what?  I liked what I saw!  I'm just me albeit 8 years later.  Long term users lose years or decades of their lives.  But the benefit of healing outweighs any regrets.  And damn, I'm still cool!  :laugh:

:smitten:

its gonna be a bright bright sunshiney day here!

ya, just imagine being out in the muck at 2 in the morning, in the freezing rain, with a crazy horse, trying to get it up out of the pasture into the barn, the others are flying by just trying to cause problems,  the mud sucks off one boot just as you're stepping so you step knee keep sock footed in the mud, standing there in the middle of withdrawals.....trying to do a little deep breathing? yaaaaaaaaaaaa RIGHT! Why do I do this???

Im cutting from a 1/2 of a .25 pill now, I get tickled at myself, when I make a cut the pill seems sooooooooooo little, I say "oh no that cant be right", and cut again, and again,,,its getting scarey seeing this low dose coming, I should be happy, but it makes me really nervous instead... I could really get hung up at this dose if I let myself, I need BabyRex to stop by and kick my butt again one time...

Benzy,

You can do this!  Yes you can!  ;D  No excuses and whiny baby stuff about how much it hurts and how scared you are, like you see in so many posts.  You will never heal until you are completely off the poison.  I'm telling you, I've had a some pretty scary times since my final cut, but IT'S NO WORSE THAN ANY OTHER CUT I HAVE MADE!  And the positive: I am feeling some small signs of healing as my body adjusts!  Dig deep my friend.  We are on our way to the other side!

From what I have read alprazolam has a half-life of  6-26 hours with a mean half-life of 11 hours and trazodone has a biphasic half life of 3-6 hours in the first phase and 5-12 hours.  I take both SID.

I have never had interdose withdrawal from Xanax in 23 years.  But I have only been taking trazodone for a few months and it appears to have a shorter half-life than the alprazolam. I am on a pretty hefty dose of trazodone for SID dosing (150mg). 

Could I be having interdose withdrawal from the trazodone and not the alprazolam?

This would determine which drug is causing the most interdose withdrawal symptoms and which one to taper first.

" Dig deep my friend.  We are on our way to the other side!"

Nicely said Babyrex, and the the point. I likey :thumbsup:

Blue :smitten:

Thank you Blue! 

Hopeful,

Proud of you for doing so well through your ordeal.  Now that was a test for sure.  I hope you won't be going through the bad part of town anymore!  :D

Love,

Mama  :smitten:

Thank you, Mama! Don't worry. I will steer clear of that part of town!

The blind mare is "ok", the horse shoer was able to help her pretty good, that's a load of worry off...

Thanks Santa!

I wondered several times today! I'm glad she is ok!