Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

You're welcome!  I take my doses at 8:30am, 1pm, 5pm, and when I wake up at night, usually between 1:30-2am (I always wake up).  To be honest, I'm not 100% sure what time I was taking the doses before I started tapering, but I believe I was not taking the dose at 1pm.  Also, from what I've read it's best to keep your doses as equal as possible, but I hope you hear from others, too.

Good luck,

BWarrior

Thanks for getting back to me with your dose times.

I think I am going to try 3 doses initially (7am, 2pm and 10 pm) from my existing two doses.  I will try to keep them fairly even.  Will see how my body likes that and will adjust accordingly.

I will let you know how it goes!

Do others comment usually or it just depends on the topic?

Take Care BWarrior!

Started my 2 percent a month microtaper of 4 mg Ativan yesterday and though I was sick I tolerance, I'm surprised by how much worse I am from taking .20 ml from 300 ml two days in a row. Is it just going to be hell cuz I'm kindled or am I doing something else wrong

Lil--That sounds like a good plan.  Yes, please keep us posted as to how it goes.  I think people responding probably depends on how often they check their account (I know I don't check it every day) and whether or not they feel like they have something to add.  I wonder if, because this is a long thread, you might get more responses in one of the taper threads?  Good luck!

Lizagal--I'm sorry you're feeling poorly.  I do a dry cut & hold so perhaps someone who does microtaper might have some thoughts.

BWarrior

Hi BWarrior

One more quick question if I could. Sorry to bother you but you were the only one that answered my original post so I hope you will answer.

As I mentioned I am increasing to 3 doses liquid Lorazepam.  My doctor(not really benzo wise)  suggested different doses (7am 1.3ML, 2pm 1.3ml and 10pm 3.3ML).  My Dr believes more at night is good for sleep? You mentioned as equal as possible is the best route for doses.  I want this to go as smoothly as possible so should I opt for 3 equal doses as I don't want any peaks re levels.

My Doctor is open to any suggestions.

Thoughts?  Thank you for any insights you can provide.

Lil

Hi Lil,

I'm sure BWarrior will answer you.  I just wanted to give you my experience.  I was put on twice as much at bedtime per my doctor but I wasn't having any problems with sleep.  I now have my four doses equal and I'm so glad I do it hasn't bothered my sleep.  I thank God everyday for the blessing of sleep.  I also started out on three doses then added a fourth I wish I had stayed at three.  I'm also using liquid lorazepam.

I don't post as much as I used too I'm having a rough taper the lower I go.

I'm wishing my on the best.

Hugs🤗

Hi Dianedeedee

So sorry to hear the lower tapers are causing you grief!  Sending positive healing vibes.  :)

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.  They helped a lot.  I am definitely doing 3 doses and am thinking equal doses might be best if I don't have major trouble with my sleep.

Wishing you continued success as you taper.  What dose are you on now?

Take care,

Hi Lil,

Thank you I appreciate your support.

I hope the equal dosing will work well for you.  I know how important sleep is for us during this journey.

I am at .374 mg,  sure will be awesome to be free of this poison.

Hugs🤗

Lil-

In answering your question about even doses, everyone is different so having a bigger amount for sleep may work for you.  In my case, having the equal amounts has worked well for me.  I will share some info from the Benzo Information Coalition below about dosing (apologies if i've already shared this):

Dosing Multiple Times Per Day

Depending on the half-life of their particular benzodiazepine, many patients find it helpful to take a dose several times per day (while keeping their total daily amount the same). Patients who dose evenly and at regular intervals may be more likely to complete a successful benzodiazepine taper because they don’t experience peaks and valleys in drug serum levels throughout the day that may make discontinuation intolerable.

For example, some patients taking diazepam benefit from evenly dividing their doses and taking it two or three times a day; some on clonazepam benefit from dosing three or four times a day; and some taking lorazepam need to dose four or five times a day. Some patients on alprazolam require five or six daily doses to maintain steady serum levels. Where possible, all doses should remain as even as possible.

I hope this helps.

BWarrior

DianeDeeDee--Congratulations on getting to the point you are!  I'm sorry, though, that it's been tough. 

Lil-

In answering your question about even doses, everyone is different so having a bigger amount for sleep may work for you.  In my case, having the equal amounts has worked well for me.  I will share some info from the Benzo Information Coalition below about dosing (apologies if i've already shared this):

Dosing Multiple Times Per Day

Depending on the half-life of their particular benzodiazepine, many patients find it helpful to take a dose several times per day (while keeping their total daily amount the same). Patients who dose evenly and at regular intervals may be more likely to complete a successful benzodiazepine taper because they don’t experience peaks and valleys in drug serum levels throughout the day that may make discontinuation intolerable.

For example, some patients taking diazepam benefit from evenly dividing their doses and taking it two or three times a day; some on clonazepam benefit from dosing three or four times a day; and some taking lorazepam need to dose four or five times a day. Some patients on alprazolam require five or six daily doses to maintain steady serum levels. Where possible, all doses should remain as even as possible.

I hope this helps.

BWarrior

DianeDeeDee--Congratulations on getting to the point you are!  I'm sorry, though, that it's been tough.

Hi BWarrior,

The weird thing about my body is that when I try to spread my doses out to get that "steady serum level" i go splat!

I dose Valium -- yes I know it has a long half-life but the duration of action is still only 4-6 hours -- 3X a day.  At 1:00pm, 4:00pm, and 7:00pm having just tapered the  10:00pm dose to 0.

Still with this regimen which i thought would get really messed up by getting rid of the 10pm dose,  I dose during the day the same way. 

When I try to change times, going slowly, about 15 minutes later every 2 days - splat!

When I try to spread the doses out -- SPLAT!

Weird huh?  Wish there was a reasonable explanation for the phenomenon.

Anyone care to try with a thought?

Thanks all

:)

SS

SufferingSixty,

That _is_ interesting, especially since, like you said, Valium is supposed to be a slower-acting benzo.  It almost seems like your body knows exactly when it's supposed to get the dose.  I hope you hear from others with some suggestions, or at least might have a good explanation.

Take care,

BW

SufferingSixty,

That _is_ interesting, especially since, like you said, Valium is supposed to be a slower-acting benzo.  It almost seems like your body knows exactly when it's supposed to get the dose.  I hope you hear from others with some suggestions, or at least might have a good explanation.

Take care,

BW

Thanks BW,

It's truly a puzzle for me around this whole thing.  I'd love to hear if anyone can make sense of this phenomena other than my body continues to be so damaged by the initial Xanax.

SS

PAMSTER,

Is there any difference in recovery time or characteristics of recovery between the different benzos? Do they all do the same damage? Or is it different for each individual Benzo?

I am down to .2 mg lorazepam, and I'm thinking that it's actually possible I might get off. ☺️

Eileen

Wow Eileen, congratulations. You are almost benzo free. I can't wait for my turn, but I still have a few months to go.

How are you feeling? How is your sleep? I am doing the milk titration like you. I am at 0.9 mg, 9ml. With a 10 ml syringe I take 10 ml of milk, put 1 lorazepam, let it disappear in it then melt with the stem of a spoon to even the mix, I remove 1 ml of milk and drink the rest. It seems easier to taper below 1 mg that way. Thank you for this method Eileen.

I am so happy to hear from you, Clinda.

There has recently been an explosion of stress in my life. It feels like things are coming at me from all directions, fast and furious! So, I started to feel like I was falling apart, and maybe I should updose. But, I read back over my w/d journal - a very helpful tool - and remembered what a battlefield this struggle is! I determined to stay the course. This is only my 2nd day at .2 mg., and it seems like each cut has it's own unique personality. Nothing about this journey has been predictable for me.

I'm glad that what I learned about titration has benefitted you, Clinda. I think that we all feel so horrible thru this journey, and it's hard to share or keep connected here on BB. But I keep trying to reach out, and also to learn from others. I think that's the only reason I'm still alive - staying connected and inspired by those who suffer like no one else ever has!

I will post when I'm finally off. All the best to you!

Eileen

Hi Eileen

This benzo battle is a journey not an event so things can vary greatly from dose to dose. This site and you are helping me a lot. So thank you for contributing to my taper journey.

I am glad to read you and will be happy to know when you will complete your taper. Please let us know how you are doing.

Take great care for now.

I am at the point where I need to make smaller cuts.  I read about people doing so all over this thread.  Are they using liquid tapers?  It is so very hard to cut a .5 mg pill into small pieces.  I have no idea how to start a liquid taper if that is what I need to do.  I can't see my doctor until the end of May.  Any help would be appreciated.

Hi EllieM,

I use lorazepam intensol and mix with water it works very well.  There are several on here that dissolve their pills in liquid maybe they will offer their help.  I chose the liquid intensol because it was easier to mix.

Wishing you the best.

I'm at .125, and yesterday I had a cup of tea in the afternoon. This was a miracle for me since I have not been able to tolerate even the slightest trace of caffeine for three years. It probably seems trivial, but to me it was HUGE! All this is just to say that healing really does happen. I savored every sip of that miraculous tea!

Eileen