Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Jump from the seroquel? Im going to try to sleep without it if i cant ill take it. I took it as a sleep aid but the doctor was really pushing it for depression as an adjunct to effexor but i took it because with the ativan the seroquel potentiated it aside from that i didnt really enjoy it or think it helped but i can post pone dropping it or i can take half a 25.

Jump from the seroquel? Im going to try to sleep without it if i cant ill take it. I took it as a sleep aid but the doctor was really pushing it for depression as an adjunct to effexor but i took it because with the ativan the seroquel potentiated it aside from that i didnt really enjoy it or think it helped but i can post pone dropping it or i can take half a 25.

I don’t have experience with it but I’ve read a few members having difficulty tapering from it and I’d hate to see you set your recovery from Ativan back by trying to eliminate another medication too soon. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=163390.0

I was on 50 mg of seraquel a month or so ago and i cut to 25 with no problem. I understand people struggle with it but i feel its only hurting me. But i am going to give it a try. I thought about halving the 25 but they are coated so its not really feasible my psych said to go for it.

I also want to note i started it 2 months ago while tapering. Im trying to fix my testosterone and the endocrinologist is behind the decision as well. Id rather take my hydroxyzine or benadryl if needed. Ill keep you posted though. Most nights the Seroquel doesn’t put me to sleep not since i got tolerant to 50 mg. I also want to see if my dizzy anxiety is helped by getting off it. I have this weird like as the day goes i get to a point where i cant like stand up without anxiety its weird.

So does the 5-10% every 2-4 weeks still apply to short term users? I had only taken for 5-6 weeks before starting to taper. At that rate I’d be tapering for a year. This doesn’t seem advisable. Any advice on taper rates for short term users? Thanks all

So does the 5-10% every 2-4 weeks still apply to short term users? I had only taken for 5-6 weeks before starting to taper. At that rate I’d be tapering for a year. This doesn’t seem advisable. Any advice on taper rates for short term users? Thanks all

We’ll typically suggest short term users taper faster but then again, it all boils down to what you can endure.  The purpose of any taper is to rid ourselves of the drug while using the taper to remain functional in our lives.  If your taper, whatever speed you choose keeps you functioning, then its the right rate for you.

You did but it’s okay i haven’t has any side effects im sleeping fine. I just don’t zonk off as hard but i have better energy. I was wondering how to close my account? I think the site did more harm for me than good and want to stop checking it.

We’ll typically suggest short term users taper faster but then again, it all boils down to what you can endure.  The purpose of any taper is to rid ourselves of the drug while using the taper to remain functional in our lives.  If your taper, whatever speed you choose keeps you functioning, then its the right rate for you.

Thank you. I’ve been basically going at a rate I’m comfortable with and still able to function, sleep and so on.

Lucky you.

If you don't mind, how do you micro taper ? What kind of tools do you use?

I do have to turn back to a 1.5mg dose to be able to function. I am at 1mg and went too fast. Does benzo buddies recommend this kind of thing?

Today, I had a chat with my local Pharmacist and told her how hard it was to do this sevrage.

She presented me a plan like this: d1: 1.5, d2: 1,25, d3: 1,25, d4: 1,5, d5: 1,25, d6: 1,25.

Month 2 with the same numbers but less and less 1.5 and so on for month 3.

What do you think about this to taper? Why yes? Why no?

Lucky you.

I do have to turn back to a 1.5mg dose to be able to function. I am at 1mg and went too fast. Does benzo buddies recommend this kind of thing?

BenzoBuddies doesn’t recommend one taper over another, each member has to find what works for them but we’ll help you with whatever method you decide to use.  Here are Titration FAQ’s for you to review.

I feel like im going crazy…. i have such bad derealization and i dont know how to combat it :( every time i look around or notice myself i feel like everything is unreal… accompanying this is crazy wooziness and panic attacks when i leave the house.

i made the mistake last week of going to the mall, and i had a full blown panic attack and almost called 911… literally thought i was dying!!

does anyone else get super hot during a panic attack? my partner said my entire face was flushed and i ended up having to take my top off in the washroom to cool down.

i was on 1-2mg of ativan for 3 months, then tapered off. i have been benzo free since December 28th, and really want to get my life back :(

i had a short window 2 weeks ago where i was somewhat able to function, but the mall incident a week ago really set me back.

any advice or support would be so appreciated :)

Lucky you.

BenzoBuddies doesn’t recommend one taper over another, each member has to find what works for them but we’ll help you with whatever method you decide to use.  Here are Titration FAQ’s for you to review.

Thank you Pamster. I am a bit discouraged due to my set back. I was so enthusiastic. Today I was able to get out after days in bed. I wish to be over this already. I want a normal life again.

I haven't been on this site for several months, but I'm really struggling, and I hope that some of you will reach out to me.

I've just recently made a really stupid mistake that has caused me a lot of pain and distress. And so, now I'm scared. I am down to .45 mg lorazepam from 2mg, but I'm exhausted and weary and demoralized, and now I'm screwing up.

I crush up the pills and mix them with coconut milk, then draw them up in an oral syringe. The other night I was really tired, and I cut to .4 from .5, when I meant to go to .45. in a few days the sxs we're unbearable. In addition, I stopped dosing 4 times a day and just took the whole days dose once before bed.

My brain went out of it's mind with all of the changes. And for a few hours akithisia returned after she had been gone for more than a year. That was terrifying!!! Today I up-dose to .45, and resumed dosing every six hours. I'm feeling better.

I am hoping someone will reach out to me and offer some suggestions, and words of encouragement. That would be most welcome.

MAYDAY!!!  MAYDAY!!! I'm in trouble!! The small up-dose resulted in a night of sheer panic and terror. When I'm awake I'm basically okay - not great, but functional. But as soon as I start to fall asleep, panic and terror take over. I can't go to the ER, they have absolutely no idea what to do. I went to the hospital 10 times in 2021, and they just sent me home every time after running tests that all came out normal. My psychiatrist only prescribed lorazepam for me and nothing else. Will I have to up-dose more to get out of this hole? How do I do this?

PLEASE HELP!!!

MAYDAY!!!  MAYDAY!!! I'm in trouble!! The small up-dose resulted in a night of sheer panic and terror. When I'm awake I'm basically okay - not great, but functional. But as soon as I start to fall asleep, panic and terror take over. I can't go to the ER, they have absolutely no idea what to do. I went to the hospital 10 times in 2021, and they just sent me home every time after running tests that all came out normal. My psychiatrist only prescribed lorazepam for me and nothing else. Will I have to up-dose more to get out of this hole? How do I do this?

PLEASE HELP!!!

Anytime we make changes either accidentally or intentionally there is an adjustment period which calls for clam and patience.  I know it’s rough when you’re panicked and miserable but your body needs time to stabilize after your experiment to go to fewer doses and your accident of reducing too much.  You can stabilize but its going to take a couple of days.  You mentioned the futility of going to the hospital so that means getting right is up to you and you can do this. 

Thank you Pamster. I took a tiny bit of benedryl (which I don't usually do) and I slept a couple hours. I am sitting in the sun, exposing as much of myself as possible to it's dopamine making rays. Petting a kitty, and trying to be calm. The lower I go down in dose, the more sensitive my brain is to any change at all. I have to be extremely careful from here on out. Thanks for the guidance and encouragement.

Eileen

I feel like im going crazy…. i have such bad derealization and i dont know how to combat it :( every time i look around or notice myself i feel like everything is unreal… accompanying this is crazy wooziness and panic attacks when i leave the house.

i made the mistake last week of going to the mall, and i had a full blown panic attack and almost called 911… literally thought i was dying!!

does anyone else get super hot during a panic attack? my partner said my entire face was flushed and i ended up having to take my top off in the washroom to cool down.

i was on 1-2mg of ativan for 3 months, then tapered off. i have been benzo free since December 28th, and really want to get my life back :(

i had a short window 2 weeks ago where i was somewhat able to function, but the mall incident a week ago really set me back.

Yes i had the same exp. For the heat i lay on the ground with a cold cloth and a fan blowing on me. It goes away for me it usually was about a week or two the worse time was 13 days. I have the DPDR as well sunglasses and headphones helped with going out big time. Reassure yourself its just a symptom like a headache. For me it wpuld be worse if my sinuses were bad like inner ear and things. If will go away. The thoughts will be silly once your rational brain comes back. Another thing is closing mt eyes and feeling stuff reassured me. Its hard to cope with because you cant explain it but just know that those thoughts arnt the real world. You are here and present and the thoughts are the fake crap.

Thank you Pamster. I took a tiny bit of benedryl (which I don't usually do) and I slept a couple hours. I am sitting in the sun, exposing as much of myself as possible to it's dopamine making rays. Petting a kitty, and trying to be calm. The lower I go down in dose, the more sensitive my brain is to any change at all. I have to be extremely careful from here on out. Thanks for the guidance and encouragement.

Eileen

All great tools to keep your sanity for another day, and good ones for when you’re free from this nightmare, don’t we all wish we would have used kitties and sunshine instead of these awful drugs?

Yes i had the same exp. For the heat i lay on the ground with a cold cloth and a fan blowing on me. It goes away for me it usually was about a week or two the worse time was 13 days. I have the DPDR as well sunglasses and headphones helped with going out big time. Reassure yourself its just a symptom like a headache. For me it wpuld be worse if my sinuses were bad like inner ear and things. If will go away. The thoughts will be silly once your rational brain comes back. Another thing is closing mt eyes and feeling stuff reassured me. Its hard to cope with because you cant explain it but just know that those thoughts arnt the real world. You are here and present and the thoughts are the fake crap.

omg thank you soo much! the hospital ended up putting me on 25mg of seroquel to helo ease my dpdr and anxiety/insomnia… the drpr is gone, but i feel like I shouldnt be on seroquel and just live with the dpdr as I really dont want to taper off another drug🤣

Yea seroquel helped me. I used it for sleep and had no issues coming off. Just try to stay below a 100 mg and you should be fine. And dont feel guilty about it. Take advantage of the help it gives you and try to better yourself when you get that relief. I took it and would read because it was the only time my brain was calm enough to do such. Same with meditation. It so hard to be still in my mind it triggers alot of uncomfortable sensations i need to push through it but when your anxious it is hard. All the screen time we get these days doesn’t help that either…