Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Hi Ativan Support Group

I am new to Benzo Buddies and am not sure to to join this group as I too am tapering from Lorazepam.  So I just picked a name and pressed reply.  Is this right?  If there is another way to do it please let me know.  Do I then see all the posts from this group?

I started tapering in September 2022.  I started at 2mg and am now at 1.25mg as of Feb 21st.  With this reduction I went from a not to bad withdrawal to an explosion of symptoms 24/7.  I don't understand what has happened?  I am now bed bound because I feel so ill and needless to say I am scared out of my wits. Nausea, headaches, fog, unsteadiness, no appetite, little sleep, hand tremors etc!

Not sure what to do?

Thanks for any help you might have...... such a lonely journey.

Lil

Hi Lil,

Welcome to the Ativan Thread! There are some really kind and encouraging folks on this little thread. I'm wondering if you could post your tapering schedule, so far, so we could see how much you have cut, and when, and maybe a little about how things have gone so far. It sounds like maybe you have gone too fast or cut a little too much - hence, your suffering. I am very sorry that you are having such a rough time and I truly hope that you will soon feel much better. I recently was in misery and this little Ativan thread helped SO MUCH!! I am feeling WAY better. So, we will try to help you along this difficult journey. Sending soothing thoughts.

Eileen

Hi Lil,

Yes you did the right thing by selecting reply.  You will be able to see all the posts made on this thread.  Like Eileen mentioned it sounds like you may have tapered too fast or made to big of cuts.  But you can slow the taper down and/or make smaller cuts.  I started out too fast and large cuts by an under informed doctor.  I am so sorry you are struggling so much we all understand your struggles.  This is probably the hardest thing any of us will ever have to endure.  You will find lots of good info on this site.  I have read this ativan thread over and over.

Please hang on you are not alone we are all here fighting this battle together.

Hugs Diane

Hello Clinda,

I am very glad to hear that you are doing so well! It seems that when we follow a certain path that works for each of us, individually, that we suffer less, which is the goal, even if we have to slow down a bit.

That's always where I get into trouble - trying to speed things up! When I first posted on this thread, it felt like the end of the world to me! I cut too much and made too many changes. I think the thing that is helping the most right now is that I am dosing 4 times a day every six hours. The more I adhere to that schedule, the better I feel. And yes, I am able to walk, and that seems to help me most of all.

The syringe I use is in milliliters. It seems like the only way for me, personally. I am having symptoms from the last cut, but it's tolerable. And yes, I am sleeping much better! 12 hours last night - which is a big change!

Keep up the good work, Clinda, we will get there step by step!

Eileen

Hello Eileen,

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement and explanation on your tapering. I must confess that I hesitate to change tapering method and do a liquid one. But now so far so good. I will take my time and cut as little as I can.

I am glad you have found what is working for you. Wow 12 hours of sleep on benzo at such a low dose is quite amazing. Sleep can be difficult on benzo for me. I actually take my benzo medication at night before sleep, I can sleep better that way. I am dependent on it to sleep otherwise it's insomnia.

You are almost there, hang in there.

Hi Lil,

You are on the right thread for lorazepam. We are at the same dose for now. Maybe as the posts said before you cut too fast or a too big dose. Just the fact of talking about it and find support is already a good thing. Hope you will find how you can adjust to fully function. Yes the benzo tapering journey is quite a lonely one. Thank God this forum exists.

Thanks for your kind works.  Do you take 2 or 3 doses per day?  What doses? Equal or unequal?

I hope you are doing well.

Thanks Lil

Hi Lil,

I am very glad that you found your way back to the lorazepam thread. I take four doses a day, every six hours. I take a little more at bedtime.

If you look up at the top of this page, you can hit "profile" and then enter your dose reductions and the dates. Look at the bottom of this post and you'll see mine. This can help everyone here to see the whole picture of how your taper is progressing, and offer suggestions and possible helps.

I think you mentioned in your PM that your last cut was 2/23/23, is that right? So what dose are you at currently? It might be a good idea to hold at that dose to give everyone a chance to see how your taper is going and offer possible solutions. Hopefully this will lead to you feeling much better as soon as possible!

You also wrote that you are taking magnesium, niacin, GABA & melatonin supplements. Did I get that right? Many Benzo taperers have difficulty taking supps. It seems that benzos make us super-sensitive in many ways. I personally had a bad reaction to ALL of the supps you are taking. So it might be helpful to stop taking them for now, and see if that helps you to feel better. Many of us have gotten to the place where we were feeling pretty horrible, and with the help of this forum, we got thru it and started feeling better. My hope is that you will be feeling much better very soon, Lil.

If you have any questions or concerns please post them here and give everyone a chance to offer suggestions and encouragement.

Wishing you all the best!

Eileen

Hi Ativan Group

My Taper:

Started tapering at 2mg on Sept 28/22 to cut Lorazepam

Reduced 10% every 1-2weeks (some weeks I would stretch it to 3 or 4 weeks if my symptoms were not settled

So I am  still withdrawing from Sept 28th to current date(6 months)

I have been holding since  my last taper which was Feb. 20th as my symptoms were overwhelming.

I am currently tapered to 1.25mg.

I was surprised by this taper and why so many symptoms appeared quickly that I hadn't experienced before.  I had done nothing different from eating to supplements so I was surprised. 

I currently take 2 doses per day (10am and 10pm).  Wondering if spreading to 3 doses might help as I believe I am getting withdrawal between doses.  If I try this is it best if they are equal doses?

I was also wondering if I should go from a 10% taper to a 5% (maybe 10% is to too high the lower the dose i go?)

Plus wondering if i should switch to liquids rather than tablets?  Are there any benefits?

I also have taken the whole time the following supplements -Gaba, Niacin, Magnesium and Melatonin at night to help with sleep.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you might have.  I am so open to your vast experience and how it might make this journey more manageable.

With appreciation,

Lil

Thanks for the hugs, Diane, I really, really need them. Feeling pretty crappy. I had been taking essential Aminos for several months, but now I'm super sensitive to the tryptophan, and I got mild Serotonin Syndrome. Taking the DAO with the aminos was helping me greatly with my taper, now I feel lost. I've also been super exhausted and weak, so I took low dose vitamin B1, but it made me feel like I stuck my tongue in an electric  outlet! I feel like I'm allergic to EVERYTHING now. 😒

So sorry to hear that you are suffering, too, and hope that you feel much better soon. Sending lots of hugs your way.

It's also been raining here for days, very gloomy. I was trying to think of something to lift my spirits when I saw an amazing picture of a HUGE field of wildflowers taken about 20 miles down the hill from here. What an explosion of color! On Thursday it's supposed to be sunny, so I'm gonna head to the flowers, and pack a little picnic.

Sending happy thoughts,

Eileen

You are so welcome Eileen, we can never get too may hugs or prayers.  I am so sorry the essential aminos turned on you.  Its terrible how we have become so sensitive to everything.

I understand rainy gloomy days really bring me down too.  I hope you go on your picnic and can relax flowers always help lift our spirits.  Spring is my favorite time of the year.

Thank you i am ready to feel better as i know you are too. This journey has been horrendous for all of us.

Hugs and prayers🤗🙏

The sun is out today! It's a miracle! We are SO water-logged here in California. Half of my neighbor's property across the street is under water. 🏊🏊‍♀️🏊‍♂️🐬 I'm up on a hill, but still, the constant gloom really gets to me ⛈️🌧️🌦️🌥️🌤️🌞 I sat in the sun for an hour, and it really improves my mood, I guess because of dopamine. Exercise, music, meditation, sleep and sex also improve dopamine levels. This really helps my Benzo taper. Hope you are all doing alright.

Eileen

I have the flu 🤢 I can't figure out how I could have possibly contracted this! Benzo withdrawal has made me SO ISOLATED!!! I have as little contact with people as possible because there's no way that they could ever understand. They say things like "pull yourself up by your bootstraps!" OMG! If they only knew. Keep well, buddies. Will someone please write something, PLEASE?!?!?

Eileen

Hi Eileen,

I am so sorry you have the flu.  I know what you mean I got covid last August and I don't go anywhere.  The only thing we could figure out was that someone in my family brought it in to me.  I hope it is mild and you get over it soon.  Do you access Dr. Jennifer Leigh's website?  If you don't and would like her website let me know.  I hope you are having more sunny days.  One day its warm here and then the next its rainy and cold.  I do so much better sunny days it helps my mood so much.  I felt pretty rough today it has been a stressful couple of weeks with lots of stimulation.

Sending you hugs🤗

Thanks Diane for letting me know about Dr. Leigh. I know that you are suffering terribly, as most of us are, but you are so kind and supportive desp. ite your misery. That means so much! Will you please pray for me to find my keys? I have been so deliriously sick, and I can't find them. I know they are in the house. Thank you!

Eileen

Yes I will Eileen.  Thank you for your kind words.❤

You are welcome maybe Dr. Leigh can give you some hope she has several good videos on her website.

Hugs🤗

I have a question has anyone noticed after detox and your in the Post Acute stage that Morning and late nights are the most difficult?  my mom is about 9 months clean from 2mg of lorasapam use for a little bit over 8 years and a way to fast taper over 4 months. generally I see this at 11 PM and when my mom wakes up

Hi. It seems like the early morning is difficult for everyone. Our histamine levels are high then, and going from being asleep, to being awake, is such a big change. Going from unconsciousness to consciousness, is so dramatic, it's like a resurrection. And that's when we are most vulnerable to anxiety and panic. And the late night is the opposite because you are going into unconsciousness..It's a state that you have very little control over. If there is anxiety then there can be high histamine, too. There are some breathing exercises that increase nitric oxide, and can reduce anxiety. They involve humming for a few seconds, then breathing in thru your nose, and finally exhaling slowly thru your mouth. This technique increases nitric oxide by 15 times! This could provide some relief. Also, maybe soft music, or a gentle meditation tape before and/or after sleep. Perhaps a favorite blanket or beloved pey pet. Whatever might comfort her.

Eileen

Hi everyone, sorry to butt into a conversation here but looking for some advice. My tapering schedule is in my signature but obviously worried I went to fast and wondering if i should updose to a previous dose - maybe 1.2mg? Not sure if it's been too long now that I would cause kindling.. but would like a semblance of a life back. Right now it's just looping thoughts, doom and gloom, now nausea and generally feel trapped in my body.. I felt great on 1.5mg so I am wondering if I should restart there and then do a very long taper? Thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Hi, I would say that if there's anyway that you can avoid an up-dose and just try to ride it out, in the long run it will be better for you. But only you can decide how much misery you can handle. When I have gone up in dose, I have always been sorry. It made my brain so angry to bring another change into this scenario. Have you tried diamine oxidase (DAO)? Look up "DAO" and "Quinn" - she has a blog on what helps. DAO has been a miracle for me. Wishing you all the best.

Eileen

Hi everyone, sorry to butt into a conversation here but looking for some advice. My tapering schedule is in my signature but obviously worried I went to fast and wondering if i should updose to a previous dose - maybe 1.2mg? Not sure if it's been too long now that I would cause kindling.. but would like a semblance of a life back. Right now it's just looping thoughts, doom and gloom, now nausea and generally feel trapped in my body.. I felt great on 1.5mg so I am wondering if I should restart there and then do a very long taper? Thoughts? Thank you in advance.

I agree with Tall Girl, updosing isn't all it's cracked up to be.  I've read so many posts where people don't get relief and they're disappointed.  Also, tapering for most members is tough, you may very well feel better on the 1.5 but when you begin your taper, you'll be right back in it covering ground you already have.  Unless you're not functional, as in you can't feed or bathe yourself or take care of your basic needs, I'd stay the course.

Alrightttty, thank you both. I won't updose, but I will hold this dose a little longer than planned. I'm physically entirely functional but my brain will not shut up and keeps reminding me of things that ( don't want to think about. I hope this too shall pass.

B1rdie, there's so many  glorious wildflowers popping up everywhere in California, maybe you could get outside and try to turn your attention to the beauty of nature. I'm up at 4,000 feet, so it's still pretty cold here and not much blooming yet, but there are baby animals everywhere! I saw three tiny skunk babies the other night play-fighting. I stood really still! You can do this! Hang in there, and just hold your dose until you stabilize. Your brain will thank you for it!

Happy Spring,

Eileen