Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

I tried tapering with water, but the crushed pill  just floated to the bottom. I tried different types of milk, and the one that had a nice consistency for mixing with Ativan was a pea protein milk called "Ripple." Animal milk spoils easily, and needs to be refrigerated. I had better luck with plant milk. Wish you well, JoJo.

Ok so why is water recommended if plant milk is better? 😩 This all feels so hopeless, my goodness. What are your thoughts on switching to V to do this? I’m sure it doesn’t dissolve in water either.

I’m in tolerance so sxs are ridiculous.

I'm sorry JoJo. I know this is all overwhelming. I don't know why they recommend water, but the drug doesn't mix properly in it. If there's a form of milk that agrees with you, then use that. Just take it one tiny step at a time, and remember that you are doing something important for your health and well-being! You are worth doing this for yourself. Do things that are nurturing for you, whatever they may be. Take a warm bath - maybe with bubbles. Pet a cat or doggie. Watch the birds landing in a tree outside. Eat something yummy. Cuddle up with a soft warm blanket. Your well-being is extremely important. You WILL make it off this poison. We care and will help encourage you.

[b0...]

Tall Girl

Can I send you a PM?

I think you’re the one that had to move to Ativan after Valium, as a dr said it had gone toxic on you etc.

I fear the same for me, just looking for some info, as I’m at 2 mg and really struggling.

I also have a lot of other conditions as well, so it’s hard to know.

Thanks.

Winnie

Tall Girl

Can I send you a PM?

I think you’re the one that had to move to Ativan after Valium, as a dr said it had gone toxic on you etc.

I fear the same for me, just looking for some info, as I’m at 2 mg and really struggling.

I also have a lot of other conditions as well, so it’s hard to know.

Thanks.

Winnie

Absolutely PM me but I’ve not been on Valium

[b0...]

Oh thank JoJoo

I meant Tall Girl as she was on Valium before!

But thanks so much for the offer!

Cheers

Winnid

I can’t seem to find anyone who came off 0.5mg ati dose. I’ve never taken more than 0.5mg in a day.

I can’t seem to find anyone who came off 0.5mg ati dose. I’ve never taken more than 0.5mg in a day.

Hi JoJo007, I can see you’re overwhelmed, if you’d like to post on the direct taper board we can work with you one and one to try to find a taper you feel comfortable with.  Here is the link. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=56.0

This member has done a water taper from .5 mgs Ativan/Lorazepam  dude 66

Hi JoJo007, I can see you’re overwhelmed, if you’d like to post on the direct taper board we can work with you one and one to try to find a taper you feel comfortable with.  Here is the link. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=56.0

Overwhelmed is an understatement. I was thrown into severe interdose / tolerance withdrawals. My pulse Ox would go low at night. I have unrelenting air hunger. I have chest tightness. I have myself totally and absolutely convinced that I’m never going to make it. I have a water taper plan. I just feel so horrible now that I can’t fathom feeling any worse. I am so terrified and scared and devastated for my children. I’ve ruined everything for us. They don’t deserve to grow up without a mom. They are suck wonderful wonderful kids.

Overwhelmed is an understatement. I was thrown into severe interdose / tolerance withdrawals. My pulse Ox would go low at night. I have unrelenting air hunger. I have chest tightness. I have myself totally and absolutely convinced that I’m never going to make it. I have a water taper plan. I just feel so horrible now that I can’t fathom feeling any worse. I am so terrified and scared and devastated for my children. I’ve ruined everything for us. They don’t deserve to grow up without a mom. They are suck wonderful wonderful kids.

What you’re dealing with is a temporary condition, its horrible and painful but its temporary.  What you’re feeling are symptoms of your body’s dependence on a drug, these symptoms aren’t life threatening, they’re just your body reacting to the drug, not a horrible disease with no cure. 

Fear is a huge withdrawal symptom and I can see it’s working overtime on you, this is normal, we all feel it but its important to put it in its place so it doesn’t make you feel worse.  The more negative self talk we allow, the more we let the fear rule us, the worse we’ll feel.  Our symptoms are tied to our central nervous system so when we feed the negative, they get worse. 

This was the worst experience of my life and I’m fairly certain you feel the same way but its survivable, your kids will get their mom back, you have some powerful motivation, your love for your children.  :smitten:

Oh JoJo,

Pamster is so right.  This is temporary its not permanent.  These are sensations and feelings they aren't harmful they are insanely uncomfortable.  I am so sorry you are suffering so badly.  You are going to heal.  You love your children and they love you hang on to that.

There are many of us traveling this journey with you, you are not alone.

Hugs🤗

What you’re dealing with is a temporary condition, its horrible and painful but its temporary.  What you’re feeling are symptoms of your body’s dependence on a drug, these symptoms aren’t life threatening, they’re just your body reacting to the drug, not a horrible disease with no cure. 

Fear is a huge withdrawal symptom and I can see it’s working overtime on you, this is normal, we all feel it but its important to put it in its place so it doesn’t make you feel worse.  The more negative self talk we allow, the more we let the fear rule us, the worse we’ll feel.  Our symptoms are tied to our central nervous system so when we feed the negative, they get worse. 

This was the worst experience of my life and I’m fairly certain you feel the same way but its survivable, your kids will get their mom back, you have some powerful motivation, your love for your children.  :smitten:

Thank you for that. I do have symptoms that are scary like when I was thrown into (what felt like acute withdrawal)- like gasping for air at night when trying to sleep, high heart rate, higher bp, I am unable to stand up for any length of time without feeling like I’m going to pass out, weak legs, weakness in general. Some lower readings on my pulse ox. Some of these have lessened since stabilizing on my divided water doses but I know they’ll all be back once the taler starts and/or once I jump. Oh my 💔

anyone else here experiencing a really hot face due to anxiety?

this is the most annoying symptom as along with it comes panic attacks 😭 i am 4 and a half months off and god some days are hard….

Yes, totally normal.

It’s small fibre neuropathy.

It will go away!

Winnie

Oh thank god!! Thank you :)

this is the most annoying symptom as along with it comes panic attacks 😭 i am 4 and a half months off and god some days are hard….

Mindfulhope,

I'm 2 months off .5mg Ativan (For 2 days I got up to .75mg).  Are you noticing more symptoms as time goes on or less?  My big issues are fatigue and challenges leaving the house.  I tried CBD gummies a couple times for sleep but that ended badly.  I had mild akathisia for a few hours.  Pacing and flexing muscles.  I feel awful for people who have it persistently.  My big fear is aggravating that again. 

J

Mindfulhope,

I'm 2 months off .5mg Ativan (For 2 days I got up to .75mg).  Are you noticing more symptoms as time goes on or less?  My big issues are fatigue and challenges leaving the house.  I tried CBD gummies a couple times for sleep but that ended badly.  I had mild akathisia for a few hours.  Pacing and flexing muscles.  I feel awful for people who have it persistently.  My big fear is aggravating that again. 

J

hmm… its been interesting! the first two months i literally couldnt leave my bedroom. I didnt start working full time again until March, 2 months off of ativan completely and honestly I have no idea how I functioned. The symptoms (daily multiple panic attacks) have decreased, but new ones has come up like the hot face and mini panic attacks. another issue im having is with lightheadedness/dizziness which has been pretty consistent since the jump off in december.

I was agoraphobic for awhile as well and still cant go out to restaurants or out with friends. i have been going to grocery stores and exposing myself to other stressful environments to try and get used to reality again.

Realistically, you and I are still really early in withdrawal. 4 months for me and 2 months for you - but i do find that I definitely have really good weeks followed by a bad one. the good weeks are a bit more common than the bad at this point. :)

Mindfulhope,

J

hmm… its been interesting! the first two months i literally couldnt leave my bedroom. I didnt start working full time again until March, 2 months off of ativan completely and honestly I have no idea how I functioned. The symptoms (daily multiple panic attacks) have decreased, but new ones has come up like the hot face and mini panic attacks. another issue im having is with lightheadedness/dizziness which has been pretty consistent since the jump off in december.

I was agoraphobic for awhile as well and still cant go out to restaurants or out with friends. i have been going to grocery stores and exposing myself to other stressful environments to try and get used to reality again.

Realistically, you and I are still really early in withdrawal. 4 months for me and 2 months for you - but i do find that I definitely have really good weeks followed by a bad one. the good weeks are a bit more common than the bad at this point. :)

Thanks for the detailed response.  I'm 9 weeks out.  My biggest issues are going out, getting back in the gym, and insomnia.  I work from home which is a huge blessing.  My focus and memory are a challenge but I'm still performing at or just above par (whereas before I was unstoppable).  I have to go to a wedding next week which requires an 8 hour connecting flight, renting a car, driving for an hour to the hotel, and standing in as a groomsman, and then returning back - so that is going to be stressful.  At least I think I'm past acute withdrawal which was rough for about a month. 

I'm pretty much bedridden and spend all my time comparing my situation to everyone here on BB to see what I can expect.  I'm also pretty angry at my doctor for giving me this the first time.  I was benzo ignorant, and had just asked for some sleeping help.  Had he said he was giving me something similar to Xanax, I would have walked out there and then.  I'm still in disbelief they can pass out this neurotoxin with no warnings or informed consent whatsoever. 

I realize my subsequent uses were due to anxiety from my first withdrawal.  I didn't realize each withdrawal compounds.  This one floored me.  Hoping for a reasonable recovery and a life lesson learned.  I don't think I will ever forget this. 

Hi everyone,

I just got COVID and I would like to know if it has any effect on your recovery and what can I expect regarding my W/D symptoms.

Thanks

I’ve read members say they have difficulty telling the difference between the Covid and benzo symptoms since Covid causes so many neurological issues.  Some have said Covid took their minds off of their withdrawal symptoms.  I guess it depends on how bad your case is, it seems to range between slight cold symptoms to severe.

Thank you Pamster,

Do the effect of the COVID last a long time?

That varies too, for some it was over in a couple of weeks, others, it was longer and still others long Covid has been taking a toll.  We have a couple of members who have or have had long Covid and its been very difficult for them. 

Anyone with breathing issues from Ativan? WithdrawL, tapering? Anything? Feeling lots of air hunger or like you stop breathing at night?

JoJo007,

I haven't had that happen while I've been tapering (at least not yet), but something similar was happening when I was going through interdose withdrawal before I started tapering.  At the time I didn't realize it was interdose withdrawal, but I would wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air and my heart rate was high.  I had a heart cath done & other testing and everything checked out OK.  I've since realized it was probably interdose withdrawal, because I started reading about benzos and once I started splitting my doses to 4x/day (one of those doses at night) that stopped happening.  I realize that as I get lower it may start happening again. 

BW

JoJo007,

I haven't had that happen while I've been tapering (at least not yet), but something similar was happening when I was going through interdose withdrawal before I started tapering.  At the time I didn't realize it was interdose withdrawal, but I would wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air and my heart rate was high.  I had a heart cath done & other testing and everything checked out OK.  I've since realized it was probably interdose withdrawal, because I started reading about benzos and once I started splitting my doses to 4x/day (one of those doses at night) that stopped happening.  I realize that as I get lower it may start happening again. 

BW

This is me too. It was horrific with interdose but now seeems to have settled now that I’ve split 3 water doses a day. I’m sure it’ll be back tho as I taper down. Already having increase of symptoms and I’m only on day 3. Pulled .5mls instead of the 1ml. Should be an interesting 200 days getting off of .5mg ativ 😞