Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Ill send him a message. Id like to cut quarters .5 .475 .350 .225 .1 but i am living with my parents and am able to not function i just dont want paws to suck i also wish i could address my testosterone because that is causing alot of the swings and tearfulness i think. So far im on day 6 and my depression was bad today i dont mind the speed im worried about my brain and paws. Could i just go to the pharmacy myself what is the cost of liquid. Im on michigan medicaid so i dont know.

It looks like the LORAZEPAM INTENSOL 2 MG/ML oral solution is included in the Michigan Medicaid Health Plan Common Formulary (see link below).  We have multiple members who dilute this liquid with water so they can make smaller reductions in dose.  As Pamster has noted, you would have to get a prescription for this from your doctor.

Link:

https://www.michigan.gov/mdhhs/-/media/Project/Websites/mdhhs/Assistance-Programs/Medicaid-BPHASA/Other-Prov-Specific-Page-Docs/State-of-Michigan-Medicaid-Managed-Care-Common-Formulary7212022.pdf?rev=2913af16da474fbba96cb0683703107d&hash=9FEA5E6F039C9988F99AD52A53676F81

Yea overall free t is 153. The low end of normal is 300, i am going to do the therapy if it doesnt increase on the next blood test. Since finding this out i cleaned my diet and started lifting. Nothing serious but enough to try to raise my t. Its the mood swings and full days of crying over silly stuff. Ill just do what the endo says. I should be off ativan by the time i start trtment and with any luck itll make me feel better.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read the last 100 pages and I am now completely panicking.

I couldn't sleep two weeks ago because I got Tinnitus. Doctor prescribed me 2.5mg of Ativan. I took this for 9days and then I discovered this forum. In panic I then took 1.25mg for two days and 0.625 mg last night.

So repeat

9days 2.5mg

2days 1.25mg

1day 0.625mg

Today I am incredibly anxious and hugely panicky, I also have a huge headache and very much sensitivity to sound.

Right now I just have no idea if I am really going through WD, or I am just scared of WD.

My plan was to take 1 more 0.625mg this evening and then just stop....

But when I read other stories here of people tapering for months after two weeks of use I am really panicking heavily whether I should do this, I am terrified, really terrified.

But it seems so strange to start months of tapering after such a short use.... I'll be having this poison much longer in my system.

Pls pls pls help me

Do your best to keep calm. Most will not suffer any wild WD from super short term use. You might feel some heightened anxiety for a few days, but that is to be expected. 2.5mg is a decent dose, so the anxiety you feel is just your brain acclimating to doing the job on its own again. You should be alright, especially if you just took it for tinnitus. I wouldn’t let the fear get the best of you. Remember, most of us are long term users 🤷‍♂️

My doctor will not prescribe liquid as it is not “standard of care” says he has never had issues with cutting .25 mg and refuses to listen to me. When i say it gets hard he insists on increasing seroquel but i will not do it. It has too many trash side effects. All the positive days i have had were because i put the work in the seroquel is just another bandaid for sleep i think the grogginess in the beginning actually caused a-lot of un needed anxiety. It made my depersonalization worse. I have lost all faith in him so i am tapering at my speed however the smallest i can dry cut is .125 so my next cut will

Put me at .125 three times a day for a total of .375 then i guess ill have to drop to twice a day then once. Big cuts but i will have to manage. It will just suck for awhile and hopefully my brain will recover.

Happy Holidays All!

It has been a minute since I was last on here, but to give reason for hope, I have been Benzo (Ativan) free for over 6 years. I began my taper in Jan. 2016 and finished in July 2016. It was difficult but so happy I stuck with it. Then about Sept 2021, as a result of insomnia from shoulder arthritis pain I took ambien for about 10 days and was having weird stomach, and other symptoms.

Thought I had covid, but then realized I was feeling similar side effects to when I discovered I had grown physically dependent on Ativan. I concocted a 4 week ambien taper program (still had my scale and cutting tools) and learned my lesson. Z drugs are as bad as benzos, and because of my benzo experience, my system has become overly sensitized to psycho pharmocolgy drugs.

But I’m good now and have endured two cancers and three joint replacements in the last 7 years. About to turn 70 and looking forward to many more productive and engaged years.

This is great and I am hoping to be you sooner than later but I know it takes time. I’ve been on .50mg of Ativan since March of this year. I tried to taper off in August with no success. I’m down to .25mg once a day now and am feeling stuck. My dr doesn’t agree with the liquid so I’m cutting the .50 in half and plan to do quarters next which would make it .125. Do you think that’s too big of a jump? Please help- I want to get off of it and my Drs tell me I can just stop but my body and mind are telling me different.

Im in a similar spot. I am taking .125 three times a day off ativan. Dr. Wont prescribe liquid. Trying to figure out how to get my dose lower without giving up the frequency of dosing.

Half to a quarter is not too big of a jump. I actually just quit taking my morning dose this week by accident. I forgot my morning pill and thought, f it! Let’s see how life goes if I just stop this dose here and now. I am on day 5 and things seem alright so far. It is 100% doable.

for me it's more the addiction side so i make my symptoms worse by expectation. for me i was thrust into Ativan taper because the doctor thinks its tolerance and not my Effexor pooping out which I'm hoping he is right. so, I went into my taper already being at about a 8 for anxiety and depression, so that makes the cuts harder because i think that i am going to be worse off without it

Do you attend solo or group therapy? I was so scared to feel the symptoms of another CT that down dosing was terrifying. Without therapy, I don’t think I would be in the position I am in now.

Happy Holidays All!

It has been a minute since I was last on here, but to give reason for hope, I have been Benzo (Ativan) free for over 6 years. I began my taper in Jan. 2016 and finished in July 2016. It was difficult but so happy I stuck with it. Then about Sept 2021, as a result of insomnia from shoulder arthritis pain I took ambien for about 10 days and was having weird stomach, and other symptoms.

Thought I had covid, but then realized I was feeling similar side effects to when I discovered I had grown physically dependent on Ativan. I concocted a 4 week ambien taper program (still had my scale and cutting tools) and learned my lesson. Z drugs are as bad as benzos, and because of my benzo experience, my system has become overly sensitized to psycho pharmocolgy drugs.

But I’m good now and have endured two cancers and three joint replacements in the last 7 years. About to turn 70 and looking forward to many more productive and engaged years.

Hello,

I hope you are doing better. What an inspirational journey you had, yet difficult but you went through it all with lots of courage.

I am new on the forum and very interested in your success story to get out of benzo.

9/15/15 through 12/26/15: 2 mg per day

12/27/15: 1.75 mg per day

1/03/16:  1.5 mg " " "

1/10/16:  1.25 mg

1/17/16:  1.125 mg

1/31/16:  1.0 mg

2/14/16:  0.875 mg

2/21/16:  0.75 mg

3/06/16:  0.625 mg

3/16/16  0.563 mg

3/27/16:  0.50 mg

4/10/16:  0.44 mg

4/17/16:  0.375 mg

4/24/16:  0.3125 mg

5/01/16:  0.25 mg

5/12/16:  0.20 mg

5/22/16:  0.15 mg

6/12/16:  0.10 mg

6/26/16:  0.05 mg

7/10/16:  0.00 mg JUMP!

I am looking for the best way to taper off in order to prevent withdrawal symptoms as I have terrible insomnia when the Doctor has tried to get me out of it cold turkey.

I am on Lorazepam named Ativan and Temesta depends of the country.

How did you taper off? Did you use a scale and pill cutter? From what I can read you taper off every 7 days, so every 7 days you removed 10% of the product. Did you experienced withdrawals symptoms? Did you use other medications or supplements to help you?

I have just started my journey to no more benzo and I am at 2mg that I take at night before sleeping with a sleeping pill Theralene. I don't fall asleep immediately but at least I can sleep with no insomnia and can have a normal day.

If you have any advice to a safe tapering off, please do not hesitate. I think I will copy your way to get out of this. On Sunday I will remove 10% of my 2mg (1mg each) pill, and stay on 1,80mg for a week or 2 depends on how I feel and gradually diminish the dose 10% at a time.

Do you attend solo or group therapy? I was so scared to feel the symptoms of another CT that down dosing was terrifying. Without therapy, I don’t think I would be in the position I am in now.

Hello, I am on Ativan as well. After 0.5mg how do you cut the smaller doses?I am right now at 1,75 mg then 1.50 and so on. After 0.50 I need to find the best way to cut and get the right dose.

So my full pill comes as 0.5mg. I just break it in half, then quarter, then bits lol I laugh because I basically separate the bits into like sizes and do it that way. I was worried at first, but the more I shrug it off, the easier it gets for sure.

no i should look into it

So my full pill comes as 0.5mg. I just break it in half, then quarter, then bits lol I laugh because I basically separate the bits into like sizes and do it that way. I was worried at first, but the more I shrug it off, the easier it gets for sure.

Thank you for your answer.

The Ativan pill comes in 1 mg, I can cut it in half and then the half in another half. I must confessed that I don't think it is very precise. That's why I am interested in the water titration to taper once I will be at 1mg. The dry cut is faster though. I don't want this thing in my body for too long.

Edit: Fixed quote

You should ask for the .5mg pill. It makes it easier for sure. It might not be precise, but for the most part when you get that low, the chances of it wrecking you are far lower. I mean, if you already know you are that sensitive, then yea, go for the liquid. But again, a .5 pill is way better :3

Im at three quarters a day and i cant see cutting smaller so i might try water or just going to 2 a day and so on. I know I’ll be in interdose withdrawl but i dont have support from doctor.

You should ask for the .5mg pill. It makes it easier for sure. It might not be precise, but for the most part when you get that low, the chances of it wrecking you are far lower. I mean, if you already know you are that sensitive, then yea, go for the liquid. But again, a .5 pill is way better :3

Thank you. Alright, I will ask my gp for the 0.5 pills. Hope you are doing well. You went through a lot from what I read below your messages. We are warriors here.

Hi Buddies

My dr wouldn't taper me off of lorazepam so i soldiered on and in about 4 months tapered on my own.  No help from my medical field as psychiatrist said I would be on this the rest of my life. NOOOO!  So I went from about 3 mg daily to nothing as of Nov.20.  Withdrawals have been horrible.  If someone wants to know what  they are omg so many. Burning, anxiety, trembling,mouth tongue gums lips sleep is nonexistent at times.  Did I mention intrusive thoughts.  So will I make it.  Yes.  Do I have at times suicide thoughts.  Of course. Will I act on it.  NO!  so now 50 days and their are windows but I suffer daily.  I will make it and appreciate all of the help.  Love to hear back.

Maryjanet

We can make it! It’s a road for everyone, but with time, we will get better. If we knew any of this would have happened, I don’t think most of us would have taken the pill.

Hi Buddies

My dr wouldn't taper me off of lorazepam so i soldiered on and in about 4 months tapered on my own.  No help from my medical field as psychiatrist said I would be on this the rest of my life. NOOOO!  So I went from about 3 mg daily to nothing as of Nov.20.  Withdrawals have been horrible.  If someone wants to know what  they are omg so many. Burning, anxiety, trembling,mouth tongue gums lips sleep is nonexistent at times.  Did I mention intrusive thoughts.  So will I make it.  Yes.  Do I have at times suicide thoughts.  Of course. Will I act on it.  NO!  so now 50 days and their are windows but I suffer daily.  I will make it and appreciate all of the help.  Love to hear back.

Maryjanet

How did you dose it? Im qt .375 but now i cant get pills smaller to dose it three times daily so im going to go to twice a say and hope for no interdose. Or ill split it up with water. My father is a 40 year pharmacist so he said we could do it with simple syrup and polyglycol

I asked my Psychiatrist, she said it's only in 2.5 and 1mg here. I am in Europe. I will try to do the best I can with the 1mg.