Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

I am ready to start my wean after updosing and stabilizing on 0.5mg Ativan for 4 weeks after a rough & crazy several months due to Ativan chaos. I am very medication sensitive so I have been struggling with which method to use. My psych NP is very willing to help in anyway and has agreed to order the liquid Ativan to hopefully help with more precise dosing for weaning? Although even switching from my pills scares the crap outta me.

I was interested in having the Ativan compounded to 0.1mg/ml so the dose could be more precise since I am so sensitive. The compound pharmacy said they legally can not compound a medication that is manufactured in a liquid form already unless the patient "fails" the manufactured liquid. So this scares the crap outta me because the last thing I want to do with this wean is FAIL or falter in any way! :'(

I want to get started right away, go slow at a 2.5% reduction, and wean based off of symptoms.

**Does anyone have experience/issues/success going from pills to liquid or to compounded liquid with Ativan specifically??

I am ready to start my wean after updosing and stabilizing on 0.5mg Ativan for 4 weeks after a rough & crazy several months due to Ativan chaos. I am very medication sensitive so I have been struggling with which method to use. My psych NP is very willing to help in anyway and has agreed to order the liquid Ativan to hopefully help with more precise dosing for weaning? Although even switching from my pills scares the crap outta me.

I was interested in having the Ativan compounded to 0.1mg/ml so the dose could be more precise since I am so sensitive. The compound pharmacy said they legally can not compound a medication that is manufactured in a liquid form already unless the patient "fails" the manufactured liquid. So this scares the crap outta me because the last thing I want to do with this wean is FAIL or falter in any way! :'(

I want to get started right away, go slow at a 2.5% reduction, and wean based off of symptoms.

**Does anyone have experience/issues/success going from pills to liquid or to compounded liquid with Ativan specifically??

I don’t have experience but I’ve read there can be a bit of an adjustment going to liquid, its best to make the switch without a reduction, give yourself some time.  Members will also dilute the manufactured liquid with water to achieve their desired dose.  Yes, this alters the compound so you’ll need to treat it as a suspension instead of a solution but that only means agitating your dose before consumption to ensure you get all of the medication.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone jump from .25mg? I just cut from .375 (.125x3) to .25 (.125x2) daily and i dont know if ill get interdose but i want to just jump off i really dont think itll be any worse than each cut i mentally make it worse because im anticipating the worse and im wondering if i just rip it off like a bandaid. I just dont think taking .125 1 time daily will do much because just taking the pill causes depression and guilt. I typically feel worse after i take a dose. Im tempted to jump and just not think about the pills again. I got cut from 6mg to 1 and that was hard  then from 1.5 to .75  and since being on .75 i tapered by a quarter it takes about a week to two to get back

To waiting up with Drive to do things.

Honestly, if you are stable or you aren’t getting worse, jumping doesn’t seem like a bad idea 🤷‍♂️ I think that is equivalent to 1mg of Valium and that is what the Ashton method has as the last dose before jumping. I think you will be alright.

I cut yesterday from .375 to .25. I can sit at .25 for a bit then jump. My windows aren’t really like oh im back to normal because underlying depression and anxiety but ive had a lot of clues during taper. Each cut i lose some B annoying symptom like my B first big cut i stopped having major panic attacks etc i guess im adding jump now or jump after a few weeks on .25. I just hate doing the ativan 12 hours apart i could move my doses closer like 7-5 instead of 6-6. Honestly i broke down tonight and want to just pitch it. I really think i will be okay after a few weeks of anxiety and depression. Maybe I’m wrong i just know i won’t reinstate B and that scares me. Just venting i broke down in tears because i keep thinking about cutting Two more times.

So when I went from 3 to 2 doses a day, it was by accident. I went with it after that and it took me a week to adjust. Then! I did the same damn thing from 2 to 1. I was having such a good time over Christmas that I kept forgetting my morning dose. So, I ditched it and it took about two weeks to adjust. Now I’m down to the 1 and at this point, it’s so small that I doubt it will do anything. Your state of mind and confidence level will feed into it.

You are there for sure. You are feeling real ready to be done. If you hit the point where you know you can jump at 2 weeks or 6 weeks is up to you, but I think you will be fine for sure. You are so close. Sooooooo close.

After i calmed down a bit i decided with my parents to give .25 a week see how it goes and if all else fails i can just jump. My taper has been such a-mental battle due to my existing anxieties and depression. Looking back i just laugh at how much of  a jouney this has been. The anxiety and depression that i have felt because of this drug is obsurd. Its crazy to think that it had been making me worse for so long and crazy to think that i would never achieve a normal with them. I just picture myself being able to just get up and go do something and not have to think about if i have enough pills or what ill do if i panic. I miss the brain that doesn’t have to monitor itself or be protected from thoughts because they all provoke anxiety. It took along time to figure out that it wasn’t one specific thought that caused my anxiety. It just was a feeling that attached on to whatever thought i had.

Anyone who got off ativan. I was at .125x3 now im at .125x2 is there much sense in taking .125 once a day or should i just jump. I guess im asking for anyone who dosed twice a day were you able to stabalize? Or was there interdose keeping you down? Cause if im going to have interdose itd rather just jump from 2 a day which is .25

I am currently on .125mg each night and I have no clue if it really makes a difference 🤷‍♂️ I can say after I stopped my morning dose, I did have about a week of very mild WD symptoms. It’s annoying for sure, but I stuck with it per my doctors orders.

I chose to jump off today wish me lick were in this boat together my friend. I am hoping its similar to other cuts. I was going to run my script out but every night i get this urge to pitch my script so im going to stop and see if its me holding me back from guilt.

Hey fellow Ativan taperer’s,

I have a quick question. I’m currently on .742mg once a day (dry taper with a microgram scale) at night and the fatigue and leg weakness throughout the day are hard to deal with. My doctor (who’s super supportive of a symptom based, patient led taper) suggested that I cut the dose in half and take one in the AM and the other in the PM.

I realize this will likely affect my sleep because this is why I took Ativan to begin with two months back.

Is twice a day a good strategy to start with (I’m down from 1mg on January 6th)? Will it wreck my sleep which has been decent even as I’ve been dropping the dose?

Is there value in a larger dose at night and a smaller one in the morning? Will it still help with the fatigue during the day?

I would like to function better during the day without the crazy lows in energy. The other symptoms are very mild if not existent.

Appreciate any wisdom you’ve gained from experience and reading the threads. Thanks!

I really don’t know what’s best to be honest because I was on 3/day, down to 2 then 1. I assume it will feel better since you will have it in your system for more time during the day. Your doctor can better make that choice with you ;_; Sorry!

Dividing the dose out was the most stable i felt throught my taper. My taper is not normal though because i was addicted to it because my underlying anxiety and depression need fixing. Im praying now that im off that it will get back to normal And i wont have to adjust my effexor. But we will see. My testosterone may also be the culprit believe it or not low t can cause alot of mental issues i got it checked in oct it was 153 then last week it was 202 ive been eating well and exercising so hopefully it will raise again next time i get my blood drawn. Idk ive been ativan clean for 2 days so i still hope.

Congrats on finishing your taper!

As a shorter term user I realize I should be able to get off quicker but I’m trying to be safe and function. The worst part is the fatigue. I can deal with the headaches but the fatigue in between the once a day dose is hard to work and be a dad and husband.

Honestly the fear is that if I take it during the day I’ll get depressed, even though that hasn’t been a problem with it so far. I’ve been taking vitamins and so for the last decade and a half so I hope that doesn’t also interact with the medication. I’ve taken them in the morning but it’s typically 10 hours away from the last dose.

Anyway, I hope it does give me my day back and doesn’t steal the night as I get off this stuff.

Hi CNote12,

While everyone is different, I found that dividing my dose out has helped me so far in avoiding interdose withdrawal.  I will say, though, that as I get lower I am starting to feel the smaller cuts (head pressure & lightheadedness, mainly, so far).  Like you suggested, you might want to ask your dr. about doing a slightly higher dose at night, and a lower dose during the day.  So glad your dr. is supportive.

Would you mind sharing what type of scale you are using?  I posted about this in a different thread, but I'm considering trying to find a more sensitive scale as mine bounces around alot as my cuts get lower.

Thanks,

BWarrior

Hi BWarrior!

Thanks for the reply…  I bought this one on Amazon. Can take some time to get it to calibrate but overall it’s been good so far.

Smart Weigh GEM20-20g x 0.001 grams, High Precision Digital Milligram Jewelry Scale, Reloading, Jewelry and Gems Scale, Calibration Weights and Tweezers Included https://a.co/d/4scRaBc

I really wanted to taper from just the one dose a day but I don’t think it’s feasible at this point.

When you divided the dose did you experience and adjustment period? Did your sleep get disrupted?

I started taking for sleep so of course I want it to work out that I can still sleep and function.

Thanks again for reply!

CNote12,

This is the same scale I have!  I'm having a little more luck weighing the entire day's dose at once, instead of trying to weigh just the noon dose, which is the one I'm cutting from.  I think having a little more weight on the scale helps for some reason (if this makes any sense).

I actually started feeling a little better once I divided my doses out.  I take Trazedone for sleep.  I can see why you're concerned about having your sleep disrupted.  It's so important.  I actually started on Ativan/Lorazepam for sleep, too, but ended up using it for anxiety and that got the ball rolling.  I'm glad you're at a low dose & realized early on about tapering off of it. 

Take care,

BWarrior

BWarrior,

I am also wondering in spite of the inter dose withdrawals that I may have gone too fast for me. I’m down to .742mg in 3 weeks (a little over 25.8%). Even though I’m shorter term this week is way harder than the last two weeks. Last Friday I felt ok enough to take another drop but maybe I misjudged that one. Perhaps I should hold for another week or so to see if I stabilize and then cut smaller.

Maybe the cuts are hard too because the dose is getting smaller… I really don’t know. So looking forward to being off this but don’t want to rush either, slow and steady regardless if I was only on 5-6 weeks before tapering.

CNote12,

Others may want to weigh in, but my understanding is that it is recommended to cut 5-10% of your previous dose every 2-4 weeks.  I've been on it for over 5 years, so I'm definitely trying to stay within that guideline.  It may be different for someone who hasn't been on it very long.  I've also read to let your symptoms help guide how fast or slow you go, and that for many people it does get harder as the cuts get smaller. 

You're definitely smart to take it slow & steady.

Take care,

BWarrior

So it’s safe to do 10% but when the dose gets real smol, you just kind of need to go for it and jump once you are stable. When it’s just a crumb and isn’t even equivalent to .5mg of Valium, I say go for it. But again, yes, 5-10% every 2-4 weeks is good. You guys are all doing so well!

Thanks, ThisBur.  I've still got quite a ways to go but I do feel like I've made progress.  Getting under 1mg was a milestone for me. 

Hi Buddies

My dr wouldn't taper me off of lorazepam so i soldiered on and in about 4 months tapered on my own.  No help from my medical field as psychiatrist said I would be on this the rest of my life. NOOOO!  So I went from about 3 mg daily to nothing as of Nov.20.  Withdrawals have been horrible.  If someone wants to know what  they are omg so many. Burning, anxiety, trembling,mouth tongue gums lips sleep is nonexistent at times.  Did I mention intrusive thoughts.  So will I make it.  Yes.  Do I have at times suicide thoughts.  Of course. Will I act on it.  NO!  so now 50 days and their are windows but I suffer daily.  I will make it and appreciate all of the help.  Love to hear back.

Maryjanet

How are you doing now? How are you?

I am at 1mg. I start to have sleep problems. I feel achy in most parts of my body. I will slow down and keep at 1mg a few days more. I want this to work and I am so gonna make it. We are all gonna make it.

So i jumped off a week ago and it honestly has been one of the easier cuts. I cut .375 to .25 sat for a few days and got fed up and jumped. So far just dizzy and mild flu like symptoms when i try to work outside. im going to jump off Seroquel tonight. I'm really trying to get my testosterone back up because i think that is what is holding me back. My general anxiety is up a bit as well.

So i jumped off a week ago and it honestly has been one of the easier cuts. I cut .375 to .25 sat for a few days and got fed up and jumped. So far just dizzy and mild flu like symptoms when i try to work outside. im going to jump off Seroquel tonight. I'm really trying to get my testosterone back up because i think that is what is holding me back. My general anxiety is up a bit as well.

Great news Albinom00se but I’m worried about the Seroquel, any chance I can talk you into waiting a big longer to jump?