Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

[Ti...]

Hi everyone,

I will give some news. After a long hold of almost 5 months, I will probably taper to 0,16 mg A in the next week or so. I have been through hell last month, probably caused by a Fentanyl Injection during a colonoscopy procedure. I can’t find another reason for this awful, awful wave. The worst I have ever been. It was so scary, I went to E.R and now I am in sick leave from work. I intend to use this break from work to push my taper. I am so discouraged, even at this low dose, it is so hard and my life isn’t a life anymore.

I hope we will get through this.

Marie

Hello, I could use some feedback today. I started my 1mg twice per day Ativan taper in January, since May 8th I am @ 1.25mg and Im finding it very hard to taper any further. I reached out to Lucid Lane here in California for some guidance. After my first meeting it was recommended that I cross taper with Valium, I know little about cross tapering but have read that it can be successful reducing withdrawal symptoms and eventually off the Ativan. I went to my general physician for a prescription for Valium, as directed by my therapist. My doctor was very open to the cross tapering and using the Ashton Manual she put together a rough draft of a tapering schedule. I left her office without the schedule hoping my therapist would give me more of a precise schedule. I was told by my therapist to start the Valium @ 5mg twice per day and nothing about reducing the Ativan. When I asked my therapist about this and about following the Ashton Manual. I was referred to the Doctor on call who explained that I can taper anyway I wanted, and to do what is best for me. Which is wonderful for me but I'm still without a taper schedule. I've looked at sample schedules but my mind cannot make sense of them since I'm on low dose (currently Im taking .5mg in the am and .75 in the pm) when cross tapering do I take the Valium and the lower Ativan dose at the same time? Any feedback would be great. Thank you  :)

Hello, I could use some feedback today. I started my 1mg twice per day Ativan taper in January, since May 8th I am @ 1.25mg and Im finding it very hard to taper any further. I reached out to Lucid Lane here in California for some guidance. After my first meeting it was recommended that I cross taper with Valium, I know little about cross tapering but have read that it can be successful reducing withdrawal symptoms and eventually off the Ativan. I went to my general physician for a prescription for Valium, as directed by my therapist. My doctor was very open to the cross tapering and using the Ashton Manual she put together a rough draft of a tapering schedule. I left her office without the schedule hoping my therapist would give me more of a precise schedule. I was told by my therapist to start the Valium @ 5mg twice per day and nothing about reducing the Ativan. When I asked my therapist about this and about following the Ashton Manual. I was referred to the Doctor on call who explained that I can taper anyway I wanted, and to do what is best for me. Which is wonderful for me but I'm still without a taper schedule. I've looked at sample schedules but my mind cannot make sense of them since I'm on low dose (currently Im taking .5mg in the am and .75 in the pm) when cross tapering do I take the Valium and the lower Ativan dose at the same time? Any feedback would be great. Thank you  :)

You can see from the schedule I've included that you slowly introduce the Valium while decreasing the Ativan however you decide to do this is up to you, if you want the crossover to go quickly, you could do the cross in two steps lasting a couple of weeks or more.  Or if you feel you need to do it slowly, you could take a few weeks to make the switch, not sure what your doctor will support in the way of medication.

One thing to understand, the Valium may make you feel sedated and depressed but most members say that when you get used to it, it goes away.  Its also important to understand that while it does help with interdose withdrawal it can still be challenging to taper from, there doesn't seem to be an easy way out of this. 

https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm#s8

Hi everyone,

I will give some news. After a long hold of almost 5 months, I will probably taper to 0,16 mg A in the next week or so. I have been through hell last month, probably caused by a Fentanyl Injection during a colonoscopy procedure. I can’t find another reason for this awful, awful wave. The worst I have ever been. It was so scary, I went to E.R and now I am in sick leave from work. I intend to use this break from work to push my taper. I am so discouraged, even at this low dose, it is so hard and my life isn’t a life anymore.

I hope we will get through this.

Marie

I've heard many members talk about medication setbacks, I'm sorry you've had to go through this.  I hope you can make some progress now but please, don't push too hard.

Anecdotal Sidenote:

For over 8 months i had more or less on a daily bases throat aches in the second part of the days. I've thought it might be some permanent infection (corona like, long covid or similiar). 3 days after my last Ativan dosage the throat aches disappeared and did not come back so far. ... :idiot:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dianedeedee,

could you elaborate a little more about what you mean?  Since starting my taper, my mucus level has went up a lot and irritates my esophagus, making me cough, a lot sometimes.  I don't know if that's similar to what you are experiencing.

BWarrior

Hi BWarrior,

No its more of a heartburn feeling but it isn't heartburn very strange.  I do understand the mucus and coughing I have that some too.

I get something that feels similar to burning, but it’s actually my muscles. I am so tense that my throat muscles are pulling super hard and making it feel as if my throat is super achy. It’s super agitating.

I get something that feels similar to burning, but it’s actually my muscles. I am so tense that my throat muscles are pulling super hard and making it feel as if my throat is super achy. It’s super agitating.

Hi ThisBur,

I'm sorry you are dealing with that it sounds very uncomfortable.  Have you found anyway to get relief?

:hug:

Not really ;_; If I do something to get my mind off of it, it can help a bit though. However, nothing makes it subside fully. It just has to do it on its own -_-

Not really ;_; If I do something to get my mind off of it, it can help a bit though. However, nothing makes it subside fully. It just has to do it on its own -_-

I guess we are just stuck until the benzo witch leaves us alone.

• 2 weeks later...

I just projected out my taper schedule at 5% cut every 2 weeks, and it looks like it's going to take me 2 1/2 years to taper from my current dosage of 1.25mg Lorazepam (I started tapering from 1.5mg in July).  I find this hard to digest.  Does this seem accurate?  Anyone able to taper a little faster or is this pretty typical?  I remember printing off a possible taper schedule by CedarTree that seemed faster than this.  I know everyone is different; I'm just looking for different ideas.

Thanks in advance,

BWarrior

Hello Bwarrior

I took 26 months to taper off a smaller amount than that. It depends on each individual and what you have going on in your life.  I had to keep working and the lower longer taper allowed me to live life almost normally.

I wish all the best

JuJuBi

ThanksJuJuBi,

I noticed in your signature that you took a larger cut towards the beginning of your taper, and that at one point you switched to a liquid.  Did taking that larger cut towards the beginning work OK for you?  Did you switch to a compound liquid, or the manufactured (intesol) liquid lorazepam?

Thanks in advance,

BWarrior

Warrior

I went Wayyyy to fast in the beginning. I got myself close to bedridden.  I could not go there as I had to work.  It took 9 months of going under 5% (one month as low as 1.8%) for the symptoms to start to ease up.  So I guess you could say it worked out.  I always said that If I had it to do over again I would have gone very slow from the beginning and not had my first year of taper be the hell that it was.

Now that I am off and feeling good it is almost hard for me to remember how bad it was that first year. So now I would say I am glad it did not take me any longer. So maybe it was good that I naively went fast at first. It could have turned out badly but thank God it worked out.

I switched to a compound liquid. It was a game changer for me. I was able to take smaller controlled reductions. It was so stressful trying to weigh and cut my pills.

JuJuBi

BWarrior,

I started the recent part of my taper at 1.25 mg in November of 2020.  I did a 3% reduction (cutting and weighing) from my starting amount every 2 weeks.  There were a few times I held my dose longer because I was especially symptomatic but usually not more than 4 wks.  I am now down to .38 mg and if I continue at 3% every two weeks I will be done in about a year give or take so that would be about 36 mos.  I did 3% because I have continued working and like others had to stay somewhat functional.

Cutting and weighing has worked pretty well for me .  That’s not to say I haven’t had some rough times but i expected as much and I managed to get through them. 

Hope you find what works best for you!

2cats

Hello. I am looking for help with a taper schedule. I just don't know where to start. I have been on benzos since July 14, so just over 2 months. I've been on Xanax, Temazepam and now Ativan. I feel like it's no longer working and I don't want to increase dose. I'm overly emotional, crying all the time and get a burning sensation in my skin in chest area between doses. It's not helping my insomnia anymore which is what it was prescribed for and was given for anxiety starting lexapro (that was awful and I got off of in a few weeks).  Basically I take 1 mg a day (.5 around noon and .5 before bed).

I'm not sure switching to Valium will be necessary because of short time and low amount but my psych is willing to do it if it's easier on me. Seeing as I'm getting interpose withdrawal now I'm worried. So I'm looking for some advice on a lorazepam taper. Should it be .25 4 times a day type thing? Taking out .25 every 7 days? Once the pill is cut one, cutting it again isn't very easy to accurately dose. I'm just lost on where to start and end. Anyone have a similar situation?

Hello. I am looking for help with a taper schedule. I just don't know where to start. I have been on benzos since July 14, so just over 2 months. I've been on Xanax, Temazepam and now Ativan. I feel like it's no longer working and I don't want to increase dose. I'm overly emotional, crying all the time and get a burning sensation in my skin in chest area between doses. It's not helping my insomnia anymore which is what it was prescribed for and was given for anxiety starting lexapro (that was awful and I got off of in a few weeks).  Basically I take 1 mg a day (.5 around noon and .5 before bed).

I'm not sure switching to Valium will be necessary because of short time and low amount but my psych is willing to do it if it's easier on me. Seeing as I'm getting interpose withdrawal now I'm worried. So I'm looking for some advice on a lorazepam taper. Should it be .25 4 times a day type thing? Taking out .25 every 7 days? Once the pill is cut one, cutting it again isn't very easy to accurately dose. I'm just lost on where to start and end. Anyone have a similar situation?

Hello Sagittarius,

I am so sorry you are dealing with this.  Thank goodness you have already figured out what is happening to you.  I dose 4xs per day it does help with the inter dose wd.  I switched to the liquid intensol Lorazepam and mix with water its easier to make smaller reductions I didn't think that I could handle using the scale to weigh dry pills but a lot of people on here do.

I'm wishing all the best with your taper...whatever you do please go slow.

❤Dianedd

2cats--thanks.  I think you gave me some help with my cut & hold taper when I was confused about a month ago.  I do appreciate it.

JuJuBi--glad to hear the compound liquid worked for you.  If I get really low & feel like I need to, I may switch to a compounding liquid.  My provider said she would change the script.

Sagittariusrising--I think someone else said this, too, but you might want to try spreading your doses out a bit to try to lower the symptoms from interdose withdrawal.  I'm relatively new to the taper so I'm still learning, myself.  I'm doing a cut and hold taper & using a scale to help.  I'm starting out by cutting 5% of the previous dose every 2 weeks, and if I need to hold longer than that I will do that. 

Hello Everyone,

I'm sorry I haven't been very good support lately I'll try to do better.  Everyone seems to be plugging along.  I always have trouble in the Fall with the season changing and of course the taper makes it worse.  I bought a therapy light for wintertime me and cloudy days don't get along very well.

Take care ❤

Good to see you here JuJuBi 🤗

Hello Sagittarius,

I am so sorry you are dealing with this.  Thank goodness you have already figured out what is happening to you.  I dose 4xs per day it does help with the inter dose wd.  I switched to the liquid intensol Lorazepam and mix with water its easier to make smaller reductions I didn't think that I could handle using the scale to weigh dry pills but a lot of people on here do.

❤Dianedd

I think I will do the 4 times a day. I have .5 mg pills so I can easily cut them in half for .25 mg but I can't do 1/4 accurately. I will look into the liquid at my next f/u.

My question is do you take 10% or whatever off each of the 4 doses until you are at zero? Or do you take out an entire dose first, say tapering off the morning dose first. As I type this, it seems doing that would put me back to where I am now....interdose withdrawals. How are you doing the cuts? a small percentage off each of the 4 doses?

Hello Sagittarius,

❤Dianedd

I think I will do the 4 times a day. I have .5 mg pills so I can easily cut them in half for .25 mg but I can't do 1/4 accurately. I will look into the liquid at my next f/u.

My question is do you take 10% or whatever off each of the 4 doses until you are at zero? Or do you take out an entire dose first, say tapering off the morning dose first. As I type this, it seems doing that would put me back to where I am now....interdose withdrawals. How are you doing the cuts? a small percentage off each of the 4 doses?

I take a small percentage alternating doses every other day.  I thought that would be the best way for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Any ativan buddies out there?

This is a long lonely road I'm feeling so anxious and alone.  I can't seem to get a break from this merry go round I've been on for awhile.  I know that there are others suffering and struggling much worse than I am.  I've seen so many buddies get off this poison and move on to enjoy life. Guess I'm just feeling the affects of the season changing and not feeling well. 

My taper is going very slow with lots of bumps in the way that seem to keep knocking me backwards.  I am sorry to sound so down just a bad time going on.

Hope everyone is doing as well as they can.

🤗🤗🤗