Post Benzo Protracted Withdrawal Support Group

[Al...]

Thanks for posting that Welly - I can never find it when I want it - now I know the link will always be here on our new thread!

Hope you are having a decent day -

Love Hoping

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [va...]

• [Wh...]

• [st...]

• [ve...]

Add me to that list.

21 months out with full blown set back starting last month (20th).

Bad digestive problems and food sensitivities, crippling anxiety starting about 3:00pm, head sensations that almost knock me or FLOAT me  off my feet, terrifying  hypnagogia, profound depression and paralysis when awakening (lifts the minute I get on my feet but leaves me shaken). Weakness and muscle cramping, insomnia, and intermittent DP/Dr.

I am pretty discouraged. I wrote a success story 10 months out…tossed it, another at 12…another at 18. Not writing another, ever…feel as if I am tempting the fates!

I have had protracted withdrawal symptoms for quite a long time.  It saddens me to see that there are more people that posted on this thread than I would have thought.  My heart goes out to all of you, because I know how you feel.  It has been 4 years since I first c/t.  However after 2 weeks off, my BP sored so bad, I ended up in the ER and had to go back on to taper, which I did for the next 18 months.

After that, I almost felt heald 6 months later, but got my annual flu shot which triggered worse sympotms than I had the first 2 years.  I made the mistake of taking a med from the neurologist for my horrid head spasms which triggered all new mental symptoms that I never had at all before.  That also lead to GI issued, food sensitivity and sugar intolerance, as well as an fungus overgrowth.

There is so much I could say, but most of you have said it best.  We just try to figure it out day by day.  Even though so many things have gotten better, I still struggle and never know how I am going to feel the next day.  I keep praying and hoping and still waiting for my happy ending.

So for me, it's been 4 years since I first c/t, a little over 2 years, 9 months since I finnished tapering, and a little over 1 year 9 months since I had to c/t from the 2nd med I tried from the flu shot reaction.  It's been quite a journey that I could never fully explain to anyone other than you wonderful people here.  No one could ever fully comprehend what benzos do to a person.

I pray for a miracle for all of us!

@[He...]

@Lislis, I'm by no means happy to see people suffering but intuition told me that I couldn't be the only one, so I came to the site and found the group of people I was looking for...it's sad I know but it also helps to vent out your frustrations after going through so much...

Ed

Boy it's shocking there are so many of us. I sure am glad Albie started this thread.

Gosh LisLis you almost felt healed at six months. The flu shot? I won't go near it now but before I learned that so many of these drugs target the central nervous system,  I'd not have batted an eye. Man you have jumped some fences.

Yeah thanks for that link Wellness.

Gee I'm sorry about all of your setbacks too Helena. You have a lot going on like a lot of us. It's no picnick for you right now to say the least. I hope your setback doesn't last too long that's for sure.

Same for you Twitch. Gosh.....

Well, I guess you said it LisLis, try to figure it out day by day.

Bye guys.

:therethere:

Just wanted to add on our new thread there are:

11 members protracted 18 months and beyond. (Of those 6 are past 24 months.)

9 members in the timeframe of 11 - 18 months.

*Regardless of the different patterns amoung us of waves & windows, setbacks, or chronic,  it's strong enough for us to be here posting.

I wonder if more will jump in.

Thanks for calculating those stats.  It is helpful to see them, and see which bucket I'm in.  (I'm in the 11 - 18 month.)

I agree that there are more of us in protracted than I thought, but then I have been getting that thought for quite some time now.  It's just that the protracted folks don't post as often as we get tired of whining about it all.  So perhaps being protracted is not as RARE as I thought (and perhaps the rest of you) when I started on this journey.  I thought I would be well in a year - that is what most of the folks on BB say - but now that I am over a year, I am finding more and more people like me.  So we are not rare and there is not something else terribly wrong with us - I think we will find, even though the statistics say that a big percentage of people heal in one year, that those of us who take longer is not an anomaly....we are just normal longer-term healers.  We are going to all make it!

Love Hoping

[1c...]

*Regardless of the different patterns amoung us of waves & windows, setbacks, or chronic,  it's strong enough for us to be here posting.

I wonder if more will jump in.

Vancouvergirl,

Is my husband included in those numbers?  He's 23 months and was doing much better for the last 2 1/2 months but is now in a relatively severe wave or just a couple of bad days?...we'll see. 

puffin  :smitten:

This is a nice way to get to know everybody!  :)

You're welcome Matt.

And I agree Hope that we are not an anomaly and for the same reasons.

Hey Puffin, did your husband post on this thread? If not then we have to add him in. I'm keeping count to update it. I hope it doesn't turn into a wave for him that's for sure. He was better for a bit? I wish that would happen to me lol. 23 months is a long time so I hope the hit lessons at least somewhat for him after a few days that's for sure.

xo

Hello,

I am 14 months out, not protracted yet, but I would like to join in. I still have a lot of symptoms yet. I don't post much because I don't want to scare newer people but I would like to be in touch with those who are further out. I know I am healing ever so slowly but it is taking so very long to get there. i still have a lot of the head stuff plus more. So count me in too.

Rain

[1c...]

This is a nice way to get to know everybody!  :)

You're welcome Matt.

And I agree Hope that we are not an anomaly and for the same reasons.

Hey Puffin, did your husband post on this thread? If not then we have to add him in. I'm keeping count to update it. I hope it doesn't turn into a wave for him that's for sure. He was better for a bit? I wish that would happen to me lol. 23 months is a long time so I hope the hit lessons at least somewhat for him after a few days that's for sure.

xo

He's never posted on BB and I don't think I have posted on this thread so add him in. 

He has been able to work for a couple of months now but no more if this keeps up.  He's been better but not real good. Still some morning stuff but it dissipates quickly and he's able to live life.  These past couple of days have been like where he was at months ago.  :(    This latest phase has been really up and down tho.  You just never know what you'll get from day to day. It just hasn't been this bad for awhile.  All mental.

Thanks for the thread, guys! I learned just how much I rely on all of you a few days ago when I thought the site was down for good.  I absolutely need to know you're all there!  :)

puffin  :smitten:

Hi to all, more and more people, so sad, but like Hope and others said somewhat reassuring. Hope you guys arent doing too badly today, the holidays are difficult....second Christmas not recovered...last year I promised my daughter this Christmas would be back to normal...better than last year because Im doing so much better mentally but physically still so difficult. Hopefully healing will accelerate after the two year mark. Ive heard that is often the case....Love to all, Colleen

Dear Billy, Thankyou for writing me...I never want to scare or worry you. Im sure things will start turning around for me physically like they did mentally. You are the kindest person I know, Im so lucky to have you as a friend. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:Colleen

Good to see you here Florida Lady - well not really - wish you weren't on a protracted thread, but you know what I mean.  I did send a personal message to you via another site.  Glad to hear that you know you are healing be it ever so slowly.  Me too..... sometimes I just want to throw in the towel but have to try to keep going through this.

Love Hoping

Hi Puffin ... VG's list was compiled from the members that have posted on this thread.  I have a list going and your hubby is on it.  I have 40 people on the list that I have become aware of in the last couple weeks ... I didn't even search very hard at all to find them.  There are probably several more around here.

Hey Whoopsie, I guess Im posting again lol. Im aware also of several people who havent posted to the thread. I guess they arent comfortable or maybe dont know about it. How r u doing today? I will start visiting the blogs soon again....I have missed everyone so much. Much love, Colleen

I agree Colleen - there are several on BB that I can think of right off the top of my head....but as you said maybe they aren't comfortable posting on this thread.  I never thought I would ever post on a protracted thread because I thought I would never be protracted....but here I am....and not really happy about it either!  As I'm sure none of us are!

Hoping

if we each post one at least once a  months for example on our jump date, we can keep this thread alive.

really anxious today, and feel so brain damaged (d/r  and brain for I think).  I slept about 8 1/2 hours last night, I might have not slept at all for the fatigue I have.  I read that fatigue is so frequent for people who are brain damaged.

I'm reading a book called "winning the disability challenge" it's how to live with a disability, it's good.  CBT stuff.  I hope we heal...

We are a group within a group.  I also hate to tell people how long I've been doing this, as to not scare them.  I do believe the majority heal faster, but I was wonderfing if there could be something that is similar with all of here.  May I ask how everyone's overall health was before benzos?

For me, I have OCD, which is why I tried benzos., but I was strong and to my knowledge, very heallthy.  The only areas, which I avoided, were, I was always chemically sensitive, couldn't really tolerate supplements, which I tried over about 20 years to help calm my OCD.  I didn't ever have a problem with food, could eat anything, and actually too much.  Ate lots of sugar, and lots of carbs.  Didn't really have any trouble taking antibiotics or pain meds.  The only other thing was I couldn't tolerate Adville, Motrin, or Alive.  That would give me heart palpitations.  I figured that out in my 20's, I'm 48 now.  So until withdrawal, I never felt heart palps. again.  One last thing is that I became allergic to Caffeine in my early 20's also, after starting a new job and drinking cofffee every day to be part of the girls. After about a month, got extremely dizzy and had to stay away from caffeine to date.  Hardly ever went to the doctor's and besides dealing with OCD, was happy and was very spontaneous.

It might be interesting to hear how other protracted people were before benzos, if you want.

Hope everyone will have a peaceful Christmas with less sympotms!

Hi Lislis, Ive been pretty healthy all my life, but Ive been on and off opiates and benzos for over 20 years. On opiates for a back injury I sustained working as a new RN in my early 20s, which developed into degen disc disease and facet arthrosis. I was given benzos in the past for menstrual and headache issues. Was prescribed klon for panic attacks which were severe in 2000. I did suffer from anorexia in my teens, twenties, and thirties...I routinely didnt eat for days at a time and was quite thin I guess...lol being anorexic I thought I was fat...I over exercised also...have often wondered if nutritional def from the past impacted my gabba system and led to slow healing...all conjecture I guess. Im now perimenopausal and believe thats a factor. Oh I guess I was always anxious but wasnt really aware because I used starving and exercising for relief of emotional issues. Was also on ads after a move and death of several pets in a few months time...crying all the time was put on paxil, effexor, lexapro and finally celexa, felt strange on all of them and ct celexa after I realized it made me gain weight. I hope that you are able to enjoy your holidays as well. Hoping the next year brings lots of healing for us all. Colleen

It might be interesting to hear how other protracted people were before benzos, if you want.

I was vibrant, healthy, outgoing... I was adventurous.  I was never nervous or took too many things too seriously.

Now, post-benzos?  I'm a fractured weakling of the person I once was.  I can barely get the energy to do much.  My heart races at the slightest effort.  I wake up all the time at night.  I'm perpetually exhausted.  I have food allergies and sensitivities that I didn't have before.

I'm trying my best to keep tracking in a positive direction.  But the past 3 months have been rough.

Mathew, I had rashes and broke out in hives everyday for the first year. Huge hives on my fingers, feet, ankles, knees, chest. It was horrific, obviously a very sensitive cns..it did happen a lot after I ate...but that wasnt always the pattern. I hope you feel better soon and your journey gets easier.