Post Benzo Protracted Withdrawal Support Group

[Al...]

Wellness:

Can I ask how you are feeling at just over the 2 year mark?  I am looking for hope during this horrible wave at 18 months free.  I hope you are seeing a lot of progress!

Hope

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [va...]

• [Wh...]

• [st...]

• [ve...]

Hello Everyone.

At 31 months & almost unbearably stuck in a constant

state of anxiety+panic. Attempted to return to work &

overwhelmed with any stress. Back bedridden & in fear of

the outside world. Or at least, my involvement in it. All tasks

seem beyond me & I ruminate constantly over the simplest

of things. My head is either churning, or it seems, caught

in a vice.

Have a chronic back condition which I have been taking

(& withdrawing) other medication for 10+years including

gabapentin, panadeine forte & oxycontin. I am sure that

this has extended (& heightened) my benzo withdrawal.

Or created another withdrawal scenario of its own.

My problem is that I cannot find any balance here. Are all

medications beyond me? And if not, which ones would be

okay to take? I am feeling completely bewildered by this

situation. I am slowly losing friends & family understanding.

If anyone has advice on the pain medication, please post.

Pete

Hi Pete,

i am so sorry you are in so much confusion about all you are going through.

i sure would be too if i were 31 months out--although i am 11 months out and still having severe brain beatings

and vibrations that cause me to feel very confused. also extreme tremors and inner vibrations.

maybe it just takes longer for some people and you just need some more time? are you tapering or in any withdrawals from the gabapentin, panadeine or oxycontin? were kindling from your benzo withdrawal? i am kindling and can't take any meds although i am still on the suboxone opiate and will have to taper from that and fear that could be prolonging this benzo withdrawal.

i hope some people with more time can answer some of your questions and help you a little more. my guess and obviously  you are still in some kind of benzo withdrawal, protracted w/d. i wish all the best, strength and speedy recovering.

pretty

I'd like to add to the debate on alcohol in protracted withdrawal.

I'm 33 months off now and still suffering many symptoms. During my taper I used alcohol unwittingly as a substitute for the benzos and I'm sure that has something to do with my prolonged withdrawal. At Christmas last year I decided to risk a couple of drinks even though I knew it might be harmful. I just wanted to do something normal like everybody else. This is a common reaction here it seems when we are feeling a little better. I had two glasses of wine. This had no immediate impact but, as some others have said, about four days later I had terrible physical symptoms and some dr and dp and depression. The chronic symptoms lasted a couple of days but I was left in a sort of wave for the next couple of months.

It seems like even a small amount of alcohol kicks up one hell of  mess in my nervous system and elsewhere. No mater how much we may wish it otherwise, alcohol is like petrol to the flames of this Godawful plague we're stuck with.

I am 5 1/2 years out and sometimes I can drink a little and feel fine and other times it bring some symptoms back. If I feel like having a drink a drink or two I take it very slow to see how it's affecting me and take it from there. I don't know if it will ever completely go away, it's a guessing game.

Thanks Pretty.

Unsure exactly my withdrawal complex.

Thinking the opiate+gabapentin intakes & subsequent

withdrawals have rekindled my benzo withdrawal symptoms

to unprecedented levels. Just need to keep my spirit & hope

intact whilst I navigate such difficulty.

It takes such great personal strength & resolve.

Much love.

Pete

pete,

i too am worried that the suboxone opiate i am still on maybe prolonging this benzo withdrawal--but don't want to taper just yet until i am better from this. i am still bed-ridden with so many brain sxs/ my brain is putting so much pressure on my joints and organs and my heart right now. it's horrible.

doesn't Gabapentin act on the same Gabaa receptor that benzo's do? could you possible taper slowly from that medication? do you still need to be on it? i heard awful things about it on here. sorry--don't mean to say that about a med you are still taking but i did hear things about it on this forum that were not pleasing to me.

well, my personal strength is running out :o i'm so tired of this and only 11 months out.

take care,

pretty

Pretty.

Had stopped Gabapentin in mid-2012.

And yep, it was a nasty little pill.

Now only occasional Panadeine Forte which can exaggerate

my benzo symptoms. Unfortunately I am often unable to

have any daily function without them due to debilitating back

issues. I try to take as little medication as possible. It is

a constant dilemma for me & causes me much angst.

I am just hoping that I soon have some benzo respite

as inside of this I have much difficulty making rational

decisions. The benzo brain & emotion is v.confusing.

I hope you can soon make some decision on withdrawing

from opiates. My only advice is to taper. My experience

indicates a conservative approach is required.

Thanks for post.

Pete

• 2 months later...

I'd like to add to the debate on alcohol in protracted withdrawal.

I'm 33 months off now and still suffering many symptoms. During my taper I used alcohol unwittingly as a substitute for the benzos and I'm sure that has something to do with my prolonged withdrawal. At Christmas last year I decided to risk a couple of drinks even though I knew it might be harmful. I just wanted to do something normal like everybody else. This is a common reaction here it seems when we are feeling a little better. I had two glasses of wine. This had no immediate impact but, as some others have said, about four days later I had terrible physical symptoms and some dr and dp and depression. The chronic symptoms lasted a couple of days but I was left in a sort of wave for the next couple of months.

It seems like even a small amount of alcohol kicks up one hell of  mess in my nervous system and elsewhere. No mater how much we may wish it otherwise, alcohol is like petrol to the flames of this Godawful plague we're stuck with.

This sounds like my story, I am 28 months from using klonopin but I am around 7 months I believe from alcohol..I drank the whole time up until 7 months ago when I realized that the alcohol was revving up my symptoms...I am still having lots of head issues...its like a mental torture..and I still have a lot of anxiety as well..

where is this alcohol group? can someone add me or post a link? thnx

Hi Edaluver ... there is now a private protracted support board on Benzobuddies.  The directions to get there are in my signature.  Congrats on giving up the drinking.