Post Benzo Protracted Withdrawal Support Group

[Al...]

First of all I just wish to relay that I am so very sorry for everyone in this thread who suffer from protracted WD.  I know what a long journey this can be for you since, I too am on the same journey.

You can add me to the list of protracted sufferers.  I have a long  history of C/T, cold switches from various AD and benzos but I can tell you that I completely recovered from benzos and I'm off my LAST psyche drug (AD).  I'm now 31 months + 1week post taper (10% rate) from severe tolerance WD and kindling effect upon reinstatement of TCA after an initial rapid taper.

I will admit that I can't talk about my experiences too often since, I still feel very traumatized by the long history and all the losses etc. however, I can say that I am noticing many improvements since, coming out of a bad wave just a couple of weeks ago.  I've come a long way from the violent sickness and severe incapacitations that plagued me for so long.

The healing process is excruciatingly slow for some of us an d while I have noticed improvements, I still have a ways to go.  The cycling of various symptoms remain although the intensity isn't as bad, although I still do get hit with waves where the symptoms can be surprisingly bad considering how far off the drug I am.

With all that said, those of you who have not hit the 2 year mark yet...........please hold on since, many people turn the corner at that point.

Those who have not turned the corner at the 2 year mark.............please hold on since, many people are much improved by the 30 months mark.

Those of us who have not recovered by the 30 month mark must hang on until the 3 year mark since, this appears to be the magic number for many people.

There are some people who do take longer to recover ...... can take 4 years (as per what Dr. David Healey describes in one of his papers).

Of course ingesting any psychoactive substances can interfere and prolong recovery.  I have not ingested such but I'm still on the mend.

I'm aiming for the 3 year mark.

I also wish to add another point and please forgive me if any of what I have mentioned has been written in some of the posts within this thread.  Please keep in mind that I haven't read the whole thread but I wish to add that some people's healing becomes more linear in nature towards the end of recovery re: symptoms can really start to disappear one by one, in rapid succession.  This is what occurred for me during my C/T xanax experience.

I had no windows per se but rather, very slow recovery but towards the end , things really starting easing up quickly.  I've also seen people suffer from horrific wave, only to turn the corner right afterwards.  So, there are different variables that can play out.

One cannot gauge the length of their recovery based on how one feels at the moment.  Things really can change rapidly, within a short period of time and even over night.

I have printed out this thread so, I can more easily read each person's post.

Peace, Healing and Full Recovery to Everyone!  We will make it through one way or another.

Still Alive

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [va...]

• [Wh...]

• [st...]

• [ve...]

Great thread Albie.  I almost posted here since the title is so close in name to the other thread for post benzo pepes :).  Well, I'll chip in a few words here.  It's 25 months for me, as of a few days ago.  While I did write a "success story" last Spring, I still only consider myself about 95% of the way to "total recovery".  I still have some sleep issues (some of which existed before the benzo) and I periodically get some tingling/itching sensation in the forehead where I had Shingles almost 2 years ago.  As I recall, you had Shingles too, right Albie?

The Shingles was not benzo caused per se, but benzo related.  I got them six weeks after my taper ended, in January 2010 when I was in a heightened state of stress and my immune system was apparently shot.  I have read about post herpetic neuralgia from Shingles and some folks here on forum have posted about it.  Some  who had Shingles  are in severe nerve pain years out,  like some of you who have posted here, so I feel fortunate that it's more of a mild itching/burning but not too "bad". 

Interesting that I'm having some of these symptoms recur at this time of year when stress can be a little higher with all the shopping, holiday parties and family gatherings, travel... which can bring on stress.  We've also had some car trouble this week so that's a bummer :tickedoff: I do not consider myself protracted but I am 2 years out (25 months but who's counting :laugh:) and not 100% symptom free.  I sometimes wonder if that is possible since I was not 100% BEFORE benzos.  I suppose that's a philosophical discussion.  Perhaps this third year will be a better year for all of us.  I think that it can only get better from here :thumbsup:.  Actually I know it can.  A year ago when I was 13 months off, thing were a lot worse than where I stand here at two years.  Keep the faith buddies.

All my best and a very happy Holiday season, Merry Christmas and healthy new year to all of you recovering but protracted benzo pepes.

:smitten:,

Vertigo

Still Alive, Thankyou for your post...I found it reassuring and comforting.  :), Colleen

I agree!  That was a FANTASTIC thing to read this morning.  All the reassurances I can get are helpful.  And seeing myself in other peoples' stories helps me to not feel like I'm "the only one suffering" this stuff.

You can add my name to the list of protracted.... 4+ years out....burning feet.....what a nightmare.

There's been a great deal of healing in the last 4 years but, for me, not enough.

Hi TS!  :) 

Ed

Hi Ed!  Been quite a long journey, hasn't it?  :)

Much longer than expected...these benzos really suck! For anyone who's new or less than a year off, let me assure you that I have come a long way, but with a couple lingering symptoms that I'm hoping will go away in 2012.

Ed

This thread is a good idea so we don't scare those just starting out.  I so desperatly want to feel good for Christmas.  Right now I have a day where Im confined to the bedoroom the symptoms are so bad.  Yesterday I went to arobics and shopping.  This is the way its been for me the entire time.  I feel like I have lost all my friends because they don't understand this.  They quit asking me to do things because I can never plan.  I feel so isolated and alone.

Sharil

Hi Dub, you're 35 months out huh? What a trooper you are. You know, man of us question the 5 - 10% that go protracted. Many of us believe that number to be higher. The statistic for much of this never get entered iaccurately if entered at all you know? And you said, "you wished the doctor would have asked if you first if you wanted to enter instead of deciding for you." Meaning enter this type of group? If that's what you meant, I hear ya. I mean.......... xo

Hi Mal, 41 months huh? Lot's of emotional stuff the last 6 months huh? (((MAL))). And then some physical. Sorry you. The physical is kicking my butt. I'm glad that you have more good days than bad but it sure is a long process isn't it? xo

Hi Still Alive, you're 31 months out, you went through a bit too huh. I copied and pasted what you said here, "I'm now 31 months + 1week post taper (10% rate) from severe tolerance WD and kindling effect upon reinstatement of TCA after an initial rapid taper." What is TCA? I really love the way you broke things down in your post and how you said you found things to go more linear in healing towards the end. That puts a real postitive spin of hope for many of us in this. Thanks Still. xo

Vert, HI BUDDY!! Long time no see. Another fine warrior among us. 25 months huh? Fantastic. So you're not 100% symptom free but you don't consider yourself protracted. So you're getting around okay? If that's the case good. I hope your sleep comes back more though, and whatever else that lurks falls off as well. Good to see you Vertigo. Boy those Shingles got you good huh Vert? You still feel it, just not as bad...gosh. xo

Hi Sharil, 25 months for you. I'm 26 off a c/t from heck. Neck and neck huh. I'm kind of where you are confined because of the type of symptoms I have physical head wise. It's very isolating yes and hard to plan. I'm just oo chronic. I'm sorry about where you live in this and I can relate. We'll keep the thread warm for a while, but one day we'll be gone. Don't forget that. Living outside. xo

19 members protracted 18 months and beyond. (Of those 12 are past 24 months.)

10 members in the timeframe of 11 - 18 months.

Vancouver Girl,  i posted wrong Im 26 months today, my last benzo was Oct 20 of 2009, so we are really neck and neck.  Lets keep each other strong.

Sharil

Still Alive, Thankyou for your post...I found it reassuring and comforting.  :), Colleen

Colleen.............

I'm so glad that my post gave you comfort.  As torturous as this journey is......it WILL END at some point and you will get your life back!  You really will!!

Still Alive

I agree!  That was a FANTASTIC thing to read this morning.  All the reassurances I can get are helpful.  And seeing myself in other peoples' stories helps me to not feel like I'm "the only one suffering" this stuff.

Matthew.....

I'm so glad my post reassured you.  You are so right re: reading this whole thread is very validating and it certainly highlights that we are not alone in our suffering.

As I mentioned to Colleen..........you will get your life back. 

Still Alive

Hi Still Alive, you're 31 months out, you went through a bit too huh. I copied and pasted what you said here, "I'm now 31 months + 1week post taper (10% rate) from severe tolerance WD and kindling effect upon reinstatement of TCA after an initial rapid taper." What is TCA? I really love the way you broke things down in your post and how you said you found things to go more linear in healing towards the end. That puts a real postitive spin of hope for many of us in this. Thanks Still. xo

Hi Vancouver Girl,

Just scanned your signature and I just wish to express that I'm so very sorry for all that you have been through.  I can relate to much of your experience and I also share a massive distrust for MDs.  My story is very long but basically doctors created massive illness due to the tons of drugs they prescribed in an effort to try to remedy the chaos that was caused by previous drugs they prescribed to me.  What a nightmarish mess.

BTW, I don't believe I'm unique in any way.  Rather, I'm only one of many people whom doctors have messed up.  Many of us had minor health issues that would have improve on their own had we not been prescribed toxic drugs.

I have printed out this thread but have not fully read it yet but upon scanning it, as well as your recent posts, I must say that you are such a caring and supportive soul (a real blessing) to others!

To answer your question: TCA (tricyclic AD) which unfortunately, affects more neurotransmitters systems than SSRIs).  I've been on different benzos as well along with xanax (the last benzo I had C/T from in which I did fully recover).

Thank you for your compliment re: how I presented things in my post.  I'm very happy that my post has given some hope to others. 

BTW, I'm Canadian as well.

I'm going to have to come back to this thread as soon as I finish reading the hard copy of all the posts.

I sincerely wish you continued healing and full recovery Vancouver Girl.  You will make it through this journey!

Still Alive

BTW, I don't believe I'm unique in any way.  Rather, I'm only one of many people whom doctors have messed up.  Many of us had minor health issues that would have improve on their own had we not been prescribed toxic drugs.

Brilliant!  That's how I would characterize myself as well:  I had minor issues that would have resolved themselves or taken a less severe path had I not been given benzos. All it needed was some diligence and investigation into my problems -- and not just label me as a "problem patient" with unknown issues.  My GP just needed to dig deeper and we would have figured this all out BEFORE getting a nasty prescription for Klonopin.

I'm well over 3 years after that first prescription, and this path has been far too long for the minor malady that was really affecting me.

Brilliant!  That's how I would characterize myself as well:  I had minor issues that would have resolved themselves or taken a less severe path had I not been given benzos. All it needed was some diligence and investigation into my problems -- and not just label me as a "problem patient" with unknown issues.  My GP just needed to dig deeper and we would have figured this all out BEFORE getting a nasty prescription for Klonopin.

I'm well over 3 years after that first prescription, and this path has been far too long for the minor malady that was really affecting me.

Well, take comfort you didn't get yourself hooked on benzos. That's, unfortunately, what I did.  ???

Always had a penchant for self-destruction.

Hi , reading the posts in this thread reassures me I'm not alone. I'm 21 months off after a 19 Valium month taper off 1 mg of Clonopin.

I'd also say 75% of my symptom are gone. But the insomnia is still there at times I've thought it was getting better , but it is worse again I have head pain and tightness, electrical shock feelings, depression and repetitive thoughts.  I'm feeling a bit discouraged at the moment.                                                                                                                                                                                          Could someone tell what the kindling effect is?

Marsha

Vert, HI BUDDY!! Long time no see. Another fine warrior among us. 25 months huh? Fantastic. So you're not 100% symptom free but you don't consider yourself protracted. So you're getting around okay? If that's the case good. I hope your sleep comes back more though, and whatever else that lurks falls off as well. Good to see you Vertigo. Boy those Shingles got you good huh Vert? You still feel it, just not as bad...gosh. xo

Hi Vancouv.  Good to see you're around, healing and still keeping the faith that better days are ahead. An interesting thread.  Yep, 25 months out and I don't consider myself protracted.  Here's why.  The remaining issues I have are not significantly "worse" than before I took the benzo (anxiety and sleep issues are a little different now and less than BEFORE, but still impacting me).  I did not define my benzo recovery as eliminating all prior issues before I took the benzo.  I've had a lot of stress the last five years relating to a sick family member with cancer, flying 3 and 4 times a year for chemotherapies and other assistance, some financial challenges to be able to be there for my father for weeks or months.  So I'm not surprised that I still have some sleep issues and anxiety as well as occasional blues.  It's tough being sandwiched between two generations and living out of town with a sick parent. 

The Shingles is a little different.  The occasional burning/tingling nerves in the forehead area are not benzo caused but what is known as post herpetic neuralgia from Shingles.  This is where it gets a little hazy  because I don't believe I would have gotten Shingles had I not been on valium and recently tapered off it when I got the Shingles virus.  The Shingles broke out about five weeks after my father had been hospitalized for pneumonia and a Staph infection and almost died (which happened to coincide with the end of a ten month taper off valium).  It was a perfect storm.  I might have gotten Shingles anyway since it was really rough for a month, not knowing if my father was going to die or be incapacitated in a nursing home, a sibling was also making things very stressful, was sleeping 2-3 hours a night...

I think Wonderwoman wisely wrote on the cold turkey thread which I started earlier in the year, that it's important to distinguish "withdrawal" from other illnesses or "dis ease" processes that can develop in part due to the body's reaction to benzo, taper or c/t off the benzo, whether in part because of a benzo or due to a weakened system from stress or other health problems which may or may not have been there before.  Yes, I feel my system was weakened due to the benzo journey as well as from other stressful life events.  Once I got the Shingles, it was no longer benzos but a new process that impacted my health and which still impacts my health to a much lesser degree than two years ago.  I still have some optimism that the 5th cranial nerve which was impacted by the Shingles will heal.  I do not view it as a "benzo symptom" at this point.  The occasional nerve tingling I get, I never had during taper or immediately after taper.  I suppose it's a matter of interpretation. 

All that being said, I've read where several buddies have had Shingles or other health problems such as chronic fatigue, depression, arthritis... and I do wonder if they also experienced heightened stress in part due to their taper or c/t, and how much other stress they were under and what they would have had regardless of benzo use. We know, for example, that relationships and finances can be impacted by what one goes through during taper.  Losing life partners, divorce, job losses or other losses can be common and  compound the physical impact of the benzo too.  Yet some of these things may have happened anyway.  If I'm honest, I had some issues to deal with before the benzo and which some others might also want to  acknowledge that there were issues before which may  have led to taking the benzo.  I realize there are some who really just got accidentally on a benzo for something benign like some sleep trouble (I think that was your history too, right Vancouv?) but others may have been on other medications for depression or other mood disturbances, panic attacks... My late mother, over twenty years ago was one of those who was prescribed xanax for anxiety and as tolerance built up, rebound anxiety and panics got  worse, so I understand that it's likely that things can be worse after the benzo. Yet my mother was not in a great state prior to taking the xanax and I think it's important to note.  Fast forward 20 years after my mother died and my father was diagnosed with cancer,  has been ill for five years.  That stress and knowing his time is limited and that health declines and/or death will be the end, and that it will likely happen in the next 1-3 years or less, is my reality. I wonder how I will react to the ultimate end for him, although I know I'll never again take a pill to cope with the loss no matter how difficult the situation may be.  Yet I am also grateful for his many remissions and all that he and my wife and family have been able to spend with him.  I think it's also important to keep focus on things to be grateful for, especially at this time of year when one can reflect on not just the difficult things  we have endured but the progress we have made and what we have learned from all this.  The Shingles, for example, could have taken my eye sight, I was very lucky to have not had my vision impacted as it was a pretty severe Shingles outbreak last year. 

All the best in the new year.  I hope you and all those who are still protracted will have a healthier 2012!

Vertigo

Hi Vancouver Girl,

Just scanned your signature and I just wish to express that I'm so very sorry for all that you have been through.  I can relate to much of your experience and I also share a massive distrust for MDs.  My story is very long but basically doctors created massive illness due to the tons of drugs they prescribed in an effort to try to remedy the chaos that was caused by previous drugs they prescribed to me.  What a nightmarish mess.

Hi, what a kind letter, thankyou so much Still. It seems this is an all too familiar pattern. For me it will be nice to heal and move forward in such a way to "bury" it, keeping the knowledge with no need to reflect on it, other than to pay it forward and keeping my family and friends out of harms way. There is unsurmountable chaos bred from what I now realize to be a common cycle. I'm so happy for you that you are healed and thankyou again for coming by and "sprinkling" some words of encouragment and hope shared through your experience.  :)

By the way, which part of Canada are you from? xo

Hi , reading the posts in this thread reassures me I'm not alone. I'm 21 months off after a 19 Valium month taper off 1 mg of Clonopin.

I'd also say 75% of my symptom are gone. But the insomnia is still there at times I've thought it was getting better , but it is worse again I have head pain and tightness, electrical shock feelings, depression and repetitive thoughts.  I'm feeling a bit discouraged at the moment.                                                                                                                                                                                          Could someone tell what the kindling effect is?

Marsha

Hi Marsha, we'll add you to our list. I'm glad for you 75% of your symptoms are going so at least there is some progress? It's been a haul there for you though, I can see that. I had no insomnia from 8 - 12 months out, and then it came back and morphed into short broken. I still can't figure out why that happened. I hope for you it cycles out again. We share some common symptoms in head pain and tightness and repetitive thoughts. That's a strange on to have so far out. And I have an electric type current beside your shocks.  I understand your feeling of being discouraged. I'll say I hit another shift of a certain edge off at 25 months out, not comfortable yet but I want you to know it's there for you. It's hard to say around which corner thought isn't it. Sorry you.

I received the "kindling" effect. It is when you have been on a benzo before and quit completely for a period of time and then go back on, and quit again. For many people on the "next" quit they have a more severe withdrawal. I quit for 2 months before this last one. Like many I didn't know what I was taking. From "tolerance" panic I was being convinced by my prescriber it was me and when I quit and got withdrawal anxiety and insomnia and it was suggested again it was me and I was to continue my sleeping pill until I wasn't working so much. I trusted. When I put two and two together the next year, I quit and on day #5 I had a COMPLETELY different withdrawal side effect and I knew it was the drug. BOTH quits show a completely different level of severity. The first mild and I didn't know I was in withdrawal though it was intense but milder. The second quit one day 5 my brain lit up inside and I felt immediately altered neurologically like I was "on" some kind of terrible drug or under the influence of something else other than a benzo. I could have rode the first one out had I known what it was. The first I had NO physical head symptoms. The second one I did, they grew immediately but I didn't know I could reinstate to taper.

So the "kindling" is withdrawal getting worse each over a succesion of complete quits from the drug. That pattern illustrates to me, that even though we think we are healed when symptom free, it might be safe to say,  for some of us the GABA receptors do indeed come back genetically altered as Ashton writes in the supplement. Why else would we have a stronger withdrawal the next times? Because our GABA receptors are now, weaker in their action. Just IMO. Looks to me these receptors are delicate and are NEVER supposed to be messed with. Nice to meet you Marsha D. xo

I think Wonderwoman wisely wrote on the cold turkey thread which I started earlier in the year, that it's important to distinguish "withdrawal" from other illnesses or "dis ease" processes that CAN DEVELOP IN PART DUE TO THE BODY'S REACTION TO THE BENZO, taper or c/t off the benzo, whether in part because of a benzo or due to a weakened system from stress or other health problems which may or may not have been there before.  Yes, I feel my system was weakened due to the benzo journey as well as from other stressful life events.  his point. 

You know Vertigo, I really like how you worded that. It can be other health issues but it can also be things cropping up due to benzos. I'd have never thought a person could have gotten "auto immune" symptoms from the withdrawal being intense but I've met 2 ladies that have gotten positive ANA's as a result of benzos.  I don't know where the other is at in regards to retesting but one, once stable, even though now tapering, the test the next time came back negative. The body had stopped fighting. Although it's an assumption that it's from the benzo, but the pattern made it look like it. The one I brought up had NEVER had any "auto immune" related illness like arthritis inflammation  or anything before this benzo deal.

I'm just reading through and you got hit with a lot of exterior stressors while tapering. Not the best scenario for you. You really jumped some fences Vertigo. Shingles, your father and other family dynamics. I do hope the nerve stuff goes over time. And that you get more sleep back and the rest continues to fade over time. You said "the shingles could have taken your eyesight" so it could be worse huh? It never fails you always put a positive thing on things. :)

All the best in the New Years too Vertigo. xo ( Sandwich between 2 generations lol) I hope your dad is faring better.

Hi Vancouver girl, Nice to meet you to. Thanks for the nice letter and the explanation of the kindling effect. I sure that is what happened to me since I went

Hi Vancouver girl, Thanks for the nice letter and the explanation of the kindling effect. I'm sure that is what happened to me. I went off Benzo a couple of times and recovered fairly easily and thought if I reinstated it would be the same. Big mistake The second to the last time I tapered over 4months had terrible W/D and was told reinstating would only make things worse At 8 months I attempted suicide it seemed the only way out at the time. Then reinstated in the psych hospital shortly after I started tapering again sense reinstating didn't help much. I did a very slow taper in hopes I would heal better.  I definitely expected to be healed by 18 months now it is 21 months. I guess most of us here did. But I'm trying to stay positive.

Wishing You Peace and Healing, Marsha

Matthew........

you bring forward an important point re: "problem patient".  I too was given the same label. 

I think we need to toss the label back where it belongs re: "problem doctor" and "problem medical system" (lol)

I'm very sorry for what you have been through and I sincerely hope that you recover very soon!

Still Alive

Matthew........

you bring forward an important point re: "problem patient".  I too was given the same label. 

I think we need to toss the label back where it belongs re: "problem doctor" and "problem medical system" (lol)

I'm very sorry for what you have been through and I sincerely hope that you recover very soon!

Still Alive

The interesting part? I suggested what my real ailment was for years before she finally ran the test for it out of exasperation. (I kept asking for a simple $50 test to confirm or rule out the issue.)  And the day I got the results and I sat in the exam room and she said that she just "couldn't believe it" was the day I lost confidence in her.

Without getting too detailed, my problem was from intestinal parasites.  For years I'd point at my abdomen and stomach and say, "I feel sick and bloated all the time.  I have parasites."  And then she'd say, "No, you don't."

Hi Vancouver Girl,

Hi, what a kind letter, thankyou so much Still. It seems this is an all too familiar pattern. For me it will be nice to heal and move forward in such a way to "bury" it, keeping the knowledge with no need to reflect on it, other than to pay it forward and keeping my family and friends out of harms way. There is unsurmountable chaos bred from what I now realize to be a common cycle. I'm so happy for you that you are healed and thankyou again for coming by and "sprinkling" some words of encouragment and hope shared through your experience.  :)

By the way, which part of Canada are you from? xo

Vancouver Giril........

I very much agree with all you have articulated and I too would like to get to the same psychological place.  BTW, just to clarify: I have healed from all other psyche drugs experiences plus xanax C/T but I'm not completely healed from this last drug.  I'm 31 months into protracted WD but I have made considerable progress considering where I have been.  IF I can show signs of healing after so many repeated drug assaults, so too will others.  Healing will occur.........it just takes longer for some of us folks but we will eventually get there.

To answer your question:  I live in Ontario.

Still Alive

^Wow. Oh man. Doctors are taught "common problems are common," and it seems some follow this mantra to a T and don't even acknowledge people can be sick with a rare disorder.