Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Mental vs Physical

[jo...]

Hi Everyone,

Since I've been on this forum I have noticed that people in their posts (for the most part) tend to talk about either their mental or physical symptoms, and don't as much talk about both. I only say this because most of my symptoms are mental with some relatively minor physical ones. Is this common? Do symptoms change from mental to physical? It wouldn't suprise me as a lot of things change during this process. Can I expect to be hit by a wave of physical symptoms that are just yet to rear their ugly head? sorry just trying to make some sense of things as I'm sure a lot of us are. I'm a few months and have the feeling new things may occur.

Many thanks!

@[jo...]I don't think it is necessary for wd symptoms to change from mental to physical or vice versa. I know quite a few people who didn't have much of physical suffering during the wd. And i guess there is little logic or predictability in the whole process as far as we know. Still i'd be on my guard for a while, just in case.

As for me, my mental symptoms were mild in comparison to physical ones and were about over in the 9th month, hope, for good.

Smooth speedy recovery to you!)

• Like 1

[PE...]
40 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

Hi Everyone,

Since I've been on this forum I have noticed that people in their posts (for the most part) tend to talk about either their mental or physical symptoms, and don't as much talk about both. I only say this because most of my symptoms are mental with some relatively minor physical ones. Is this common? Do symptoms change from mental to physical? It wouldn't suprise me as a lot of things change during this process. Can I expect to be hit by a wave of physical symptoms that are just yet to rear their ugly head? sorry just trying to make some sense of things as I'm sure a lot of us are. I'm a few months and have the feeling new things may occur.

Many thanks!

I'm like you mostly mental. I would be surprised if i all of the sudden start having pain and burning skin etc

It's really weird it's such a palette of symptoms.

• Like 1

[jo...]
3 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

@[jo...]ive had mental and physical symptoms from day one. 

Hi @Krissirk888, I have both too but mental are worse than physical. Are both as bad as each other for you?

[Bo...]

Hav head both with physical being a lot worse during my taper, but now mental taking over after my taper due to akathisia and now another med mirt. I truly believe I would have been better had I not started mirt (didn’t have a choice was in psych ward that didn’t understand akathisia)

I’ve heard some say their symptoms stayed the same physical and not mental and decreased and then other ways around and then those that had both. It’s just crapshoot.

hope things stay bearable for you. Hugs 

• Like 1

[Kr...]
2 hours ago, [[j...] said:

Hi @Krissirk888, I have both too but mental are worse than physical. Are both as bad as each other for you?

Both bad but mental can seem worse because it involves looping thoughts which tell you bad things , so it’s like someone is tormenting me in my thoughts. 

• Like 1

[Pi...]

Had very tough mental and physical symptoms on a cold Turkey. 22 months out mental has subsided about 60% physical about 50%. major Benzo Belly issues now. Pretty much has become my existence. Some days are better than others. We'll see. Worked my whole life to have this in retirement. At least I'm still here. Some of my friends are not. 

• Like 1

[Di...]

I have both as well. As @[Pi...] said, I have benzo belly bad. It pretty much determines what I’m able to do and my mood. Can’t wait for this to get better 

• Like 1

[jo...]
On 28/04/2024 at 15:21, [[D...] said:

I have both as well. As @[Pi...] said, I have benzo belly bad. It pretty much determines what I’m able to do and my mood. Can’t wait for this to get better 

Hi, did you have benzo belly from the start? this is something I have not experienced... yet

[Di...]

Hi @[jo...], I’ve had it throughout the taper and now that I’m totally off, it’s been worse. It’s my worst symptom by far. I really look forward to it going away! I haven’t enjoyed food in a long time.

[jo...]
Just now, [[D...] said:

Hi @[jo...], I’ve had it throughout the taper and now that I’m totally off, it’s been worse. It’s my worst symptom by far. I really look forward to it going away! I haven’t enjoyed food in a long time.

Hi and welcome! that sounds rough I hope it resolves soon. My worst symptoms are the mental ones. It seems people often suffer one or the other more significantly.