This Is Life With Lisa Ling

[Ms...]

CNN still hasn't reported Heather Ashton's death, two weeks after it happened. None of the media have reported it. You'd think Lisa Ling might have posted something about it, but I can't find anything at all. Well, I guess that's life with Lisa Ling.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Qu...]

• [Ms...]

• [no...]

• [th...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Quietquiet You have the best name and image combo and I like how your always thinking outside the box in your posts. I picture you a writer or artist or something in real life. Anyways thats amazing  you're trying to spread the word to other news stations. That is such important work.

Everyone needs to remember that ultimately when a media outlets report on something it is the producers of the show that are making the decisions about how the story should be told and it probably isn't often that the narrative is completely accurate as it is in this case.

Incomplete is MUCH better than inacurrate.

Indeed!

CNN still hasn't reported Heather Ashton's death, two weeks after it happened. None of the media have reported it. You'd think Lisa Ling might have posted something about it, but I can't find anything at all. Well, I guess that's life with Lisa Ling.

lol

I'm not sure why they would report it. She's only important to us, a tiny population. Why don't you contact Lisa Ling and see what she says?

I'm not sure why they would report it. She's only important to us, a tiny population. Why don't you contact Lisa Ling and see what she says?

If Heather Ashton is only important to us, a tiny population, then why is CNN planning to broadcast a Lisa Ling report about the benzo problem on October 6? Surely the issue must be important to more than just our tiny population. Besides which, CNN has had two weeks to work up a story on Ashton's death that they could have been using to promote the Lisa Ling show on October 6. I think they're simply unaware that Ashton has died. I suppose I could contact Lisa Ling or someone else at CNN and tell them, but why would I want to do their job for them?

If Heather Ashton is only important to us, a tiny population, then why is CNN planning to broadcast a Lisa Ling report about the benzo problem on October 6? Surely the issue must be important to more than just our tiny population. Besides which, CNN has had two weeks to work up a story on Ashton's death that they could have been using to promote the Lisa Ling show on October 6. I think they're simply unaware that Ashton has died. I suppose I could contact Lisa Ling or someone else at CNN and tell them, but why would I want to do their job for them?

Just stop. OMG.

If Heather Ashton is only important to us, a tiny population, then why is CNN planning to broadcast a Lisa Ling report about the benzo problem on October 6?

Because a lot of people are on benzos.

Surely the issue must be important to more than just our tiny population.

It is, but the issue and Heather Ashton are not synonymous.

Besides which, CNN has had two weeks to work up a story on Ashton's death that they could have been using to promote the Lisa Ling show on October 6

Work up the story of someone's death to people who don't know who Ashton is?

I think they're simply unaware that Ashton has died.

I doubt they know who she is to begin with.

I suppose I could contact Lisa Ling or someone else at CNN and tell them, but why would I want to do their job for them?

What do you expect them to do beyond extend condolences? How is this their job, and why wouldn't we help anyone do their job who is reporting about this? Just so much about this statement is confusing. Are you alright dude?

So you're saying that Lisa Ling and CNN could put together an hour-long show about the benzo problem, and not have learned who Heather Ashton was? Seriously?

So you're saying that Lisa Ling and CNN could put together an hour-long show about the benzo problem, and not have learned who Heather Ashton was? Seriously?

Im baffled by what's going on here. It took them a year to do it and they finished it several months ago. Do you think this is all they think about? If so, why?

If you have been watching the news about the opioid epidemic, that should answer your question about why CNN might be interested in having a story about benzos. Ashton isn't fundamental to the story at this point.

The fact is that they haven't commented on her death. Either they don't know or they don't think it was important. Why do their job? Why not? You seem upset that they haven't commented on it, so right the wrong. Is your goal to spread the word about benzos or just discuss  it on a forum?

I posted the first link to the Ling piece. I've also sent it to mods on this board. I got it on a FB group through a friend of mine. If you want to see Ashton getting the coverage she deserves, why don't you contact the producers of the Ling segment?

Just so much about this statement is confusing. Are you alright dude?

I think there are a lot of us here on BB who aren't particularly "alright".  I know I'm not.  I sense from redevan that he is deeply moved by Heather Ashton's death, and frustrated that it is going unnoticed.  I feel exactly the same way.  I also understand that she is a virtual unknown and that her death is not newsworthy, even in light of the upcoming CNN benzo story.  -Jeff

I think there are a lot of us here on BB who aren't particularly "alright".  I know I'm not.  I sense from redevan that he is deeply moved by Heather Ashton's death, and frustrated that it is going unnoticed.  I feel the exactly the same way.  I also understand that she is a virtual unknown and that her death is not newsworthy, even in light of the upcoming CNN benzo story.  -Jeff

His frustration about it doesn't belong with Lisa Ling. I will be grateful to both of these women for the rest of my life.

I think there are a lot of us here on BB who aren't particularly "alright".  I know I'm not.  I sense from redevan that he is deeply moved by Heather Ashton's death, and frustrated that it is going unnoticed.  I feel the exactly the same way.  I also understand that she is a virtual unknown and that her death is not newsworthy, even in light of the upcoming CNN benzo story.  -Jeff

Hear hear. I feel the same as all of you. It would be great to see a full length documentary about the "benzo issue" and then the makers could dig into Ashton's vital importance.

Let me imagine the story CNN might have done about Heather Ashton's death. It would start by noting that someone most people have never heard of has died. Then it would explain who she was, and why she mattered. What a wonderful opportunity to make the audience more aware of the benzo problem. Of course, the story could only just begin to scratch the surface of this problem, but it could finish by referring people to the upcoming Lisa Ling show about this problem, on October 6, for more information. This all assumes, of course, that CNN has become aware of the importance of this issue - which I did assume, since CNN is about the broadcast that Lisa Ling show on the issue. That's why I was surprised to find nothing about it at CNN's website. It's not that they're worse than anyone else. No one seems to have reported it. It's just that I expected CNN to be better, because of what they should have learned by doing the show that Lisa Ling will be presenting on October 6.

Hear hear. I feel the same as all of you. It would be great to see a full length documentary about the "benzo issue" and then the makers could dig into Ashton's vital importance.

Right, exactly.  As we write these posts, I'm thinking about it differently now.  Living or deceased, I would love to see Dr. Ashton receive some credit or mention in Lisa's program.  And maybe she does; I haven't seen it.  -Jeff

Let me imagine the story CNN might have done about Heather Ashton's death. It would start by noting that someone most people have never heard of has died. Then it would explain who she was, and why she mattered. What a wonderful opportunity to make the audience more aware of the benzo problem. Of course, the story could only just begin to scratch the surface of this problem, but it could finish by referring people to the upcoming Lisa Ling show about this problem, on October 6, for more information. This all assumes, of course, that CNN has become aware of the importance of this issue - which I did assume, since CNN is about the broadcast that Lisa Ling show on the issue. That's why I was surprised to find nothing about it at CNN's website. It's not that they're worse than anyone else. No one seems to have reported it. It's just that I expected CNN to be better, because of what they should have learned by doing the show that Lisa Ling will be presenting on October 6.

That would have been great if CNN had done that. And maybe the producers who made the Ling piece knew about Ashton. If they did, they didn't think it was central enough to the story to include her. If they didn't know about her, maybe they should have done some deeper research. I'm just not surprised that they didn't report her death.

I posted elsewhere that neither my psychiatrist, the pharmacist that scheduled my taper, my GP, or my therapist have ever heard of Ashton. These are people that are dealing with the benzo issue every day. So, if a psychiatrist and a pharmacist that are tapering me off benzos have never heard of Ashton, there is a pretty good likelihood that the producers of the Ling segment haven't either.

I wish things were different.

Look, isn't it ENOUGH at this point that there is even a documentary on benzos? That is first and foremost. I don't understand at all why you keep hammering in about Professor Ashton. That is secondary to the show that is going to be aired. Sure, she did a lot of good for society. But benzos are a huge issue and ought to be dealt with FIRST.

Well I’m glad that CNN and Lisa Ling made this much effort.

It’s only 45 minutes long, I was impressed that they covered as much as they did.  Maybe we should be grateful for this much, I certainly am because all I heard was that I was crazy for thinking I had symptoms.

Maybe this will turn out to be a Pilot for what could fill a whole series.  I think it’s too big of a topic to expect everything to have been crammed into one short show, that’s just my opinion.  I thought it was great.

Look, isn't it ENOUGH at this point that there is even a documentary on benzos? That is first and foremost. I don't understand at all why you keep hammering in about Professor Ashton. That is secondary to the show that is going to be aired. Sure, she did a lot of good for society. But benzos are a huge issue and ought to be dealt with FIRST.

Agree, Terry, this whole Ashton deal is getting a bit weird now.  And, anyhow, didn't I read that it was only today that her son publicly announced her passing anyway?

a couple of weeks ago on fb it was being spread that Heather's family was requesting no cards or emails etc as Heather was "very ill". they didn't officially announce she diied until today, and then letters from people on BB posted in the threads concerning her death from today were released showing the same letter just addressessed to different individuals copy/pasted i'm sure to save time as there are hundreds of friends and supporters of Heather and her work..

it is still odd but i suppose perhaps understandable that the family was grieving deeply and didn't want the news of her death be known publicly because of the onslaught of thousands of letters cards and emails of sympathy. i guess. i don't know. but that's my best guess.

a couple of weeks ago on fb it was being spread that Heather's family was requesting no cards or emails etc as Heather was "very ill". they didn't officially announce she diied until today, and then letters from people on BB posted in the threads concerning her death from today were released showing the same letter just addressessed to different individuals copy/pasted i'm sure to save time as there are hundreds of friends and supporters of Heather and her work..

it is still odd but i suppose perhaps understandable that the family was grieving deeply and didn't want the news of her death be known publicly because of the onslaught of thousands of letters cards and emails of sympathy. i guess. i don't know. but that's my best guess.

I think they get overwhelmed. She's a very important figure to everyone here and they seem to have always taken care to respond extensively to people who sought their help. I'm sure they are being bombarded and probably tired of it and just want to focus on their loss. They asked people, from what I understand, to not contact them but post publicly about her.

Agree, Terry, this whole Ashton deal is getting a bit weird now.  And, anyhow, didn't I read that it was only today that her son publicly announced her passing anyway?

Yes, I believe so, abcd.

[21...]

My Dad just brought this up to me after believing that I just developed extreme OCD out of nowhere and that I was no longer going through benzo damage.  I really hope this article portrays us properly. 

I am concerned that to prevent mass hysteria they are not going to include the severity of withdrawal and the protracted recovery.

Hoping for the best

Can't wait to watch it.