• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [In...]

• [Du...]

• [NJ...]

• [Li...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Dub,

Good to hear from you again. I just don’t know about the branded K myself. But either way, I’ve been switched around so much, that I anticipate that anything might give me trouble.

I still have to contact pharmacies around here. CVS told me they had it in stock, and more kept coming in.

The pharmacy special orders Rxs for people is the one I prefer.  So I still need to call them or drive there.

I agree about the Valium; your on such a low dose, that it make no sense to do all the work of crossing over. You could be off before you know it.

PLease help!  Has anyone heard of Northstar Clonazepam?  I am switching to Teva.

I wouldn’t switch to teva if I were you. It has been discontinued months ago so whatever your pharmacy has rn is it. They will not be able to get anymore, the teva plant in Puerto Rico that made the clonazepam has been shut down. It will be hard to switch to another generic once your body adjusts to teva. May I ask where you live? I’m surprised to hear your local pharmacy still has some teva left over.

I have heard of north star but have never tried it myself.

Lynn,

Yes I’ve heard of Northstar. They are in some kind of partnership with Sandoz. I read on the FDA website that Sandoz was discontinuing clonazepam in all strengths, and that Northstar was discontinuing clonazepam in the .5 mg strength.

I had planned on calling them, but I have a vocal disorder, and calling is hard for me. Besides that I’ve called Teva, pharmacies, sent emails, and the entire subject has worn me out.

You might want to call them yourself. The customer service phone number is 1-800-206-7821.

It’s probably too late to call today, but you could call them first thing in the morning. They can tell you what’s going on.

Lynn,

Dub is right. Teva decided to stop supplying their version of clonazepam. They own the Actavis company and have decided to supply that in place of the Teva.

Maybe you can still get Northstar in the 1 mg strength. Call them and find out. Let us know what you find out.

All of these discontinuation have affected many of us here.

I think it’s eastern time. I’m mountain time so I’m 2 hours behind eastern time. If your in another country, that’s more difficult. Even Hawaii maybe is difficult.

Just call them. You have no reason not to try.

I’ve been having a lot of bad waves since stopping teva. Been reading about kindling and it’s really frightened me. I hope I didn’t kindle with anything when I switched generics a few times and being on a hold. How’s everyone else doing on their new generic or roche. I almost get stuck in a wave every other day..... didn’t have these problems on teva.

Hi Dub.

I’ve never been sure about the “kindling effect.”

From what I’ve read about it, it’s happens when someone stops a benzo completely, goes into acute withdrawl, deals with that for however long they can stand the acute phase, and then decide to reinstate their benzo again to find relief. And there’s this window of time that reinstatement may work.

I’ve also read that 2 weeks is the window of time for reinstatement, but I’ve read that its 4 weeks, 2 months. And then I’ve read that reinstatement doesn’t always work, so the acute part just continues on. I do not know enough about this kindling effect to be able to advise anyone about it.

I’ve never stopped taking a benzo as in a CT or a rapid taper or a detox.

You could just be having trouble adjusting to the Actavis. I’m not sure if that’s what you’re taking or what. If it’s the branded K, that could cause you problems as the Actavis could.

As you know, I’ve been switched so many times, it’s a common problem for me. Each time, I carefully ease the new generic in, until I’m taking all of the new generic, I hold until all my sx are in a consistent pattern.

We have several here who are either taking branded K or are getting it. From what I read, the 2 that I know of are doing ok on it.

Do you ease into the new generic by substituting one of the doses with it until you feel more stable and then continue substituting until you are fully on the new generic? 

I heard that Mylan is a weaker version of generic, but I heard that some pharmacies will order and hold even up to a year's worth of your generic version [within expiration date, of course], and if I am tapering, why not take advantage of Mylan's weaker strength to be my first taper on this new brand?  After that, I will have a year to taper off and be assured of staying on the same brand instead of switching me out.  My current pharmacy switches "as he can get it," he says.  I don't feel safe with that knowing that generics can differ by as much as 10%.  When sensitive as I am and when getting in the micro's and down into the lower doses, I can't risk a switch in my brands without the fear of being thrown into a bad wave reaction or something.

Anybody find Mylan to be helpful to them?  One pharmacy I called said they only sell Mylan clonazepam to their patients and have had no complaints.  Do most people have problems with Mylan when it comes to switching brands because of their weaker tendency?  Or are the fillers/binders more toxic to the body and making for more issues?

Once I get used to Mylan's weaker potency and then continue with my taper, wouldn't this be a safer way to go knowing that I won't be switched during my taper?

Just want to know, too, if anyone found Mylan to make them sicker or their symptoms worse?

Lynn, from what I read on the FDA website, Mylan has also discontinued their clonazepam generic in all strengths. I have not called Mylan myself. Let me find that phone number so you can called them.

Having trouble locating the phone number. I need to go to a post by a B.B. member. That phone number he referred to is current. I need a minute.

So the number I see from the FDA website is 1-800-796-9526. And this is for Mylan pharmaceuticals.

I’d call them first to find out what’s happening with them before doing anything else. I do not know where they are located. This is their customer service number.

The pharmacy said they would order in a year's worth of Mylan, so I should be ok.  The pharmacist said the pills expire in 2020, so they should be good yet.  I tried to call about Northstar that I am on and got the-run-around.  Nobody would answer anything.  I am too tired to fight that fight.  If my pharmacist says she will get them all in at one time and they are safe there, I will need to trust that.  Right now she got the script from my dr. to try me on a 30-day supply to see how I do.  If they work for me, then she'll order in the rest.  She says there's plenty she can get at this point.  I think it takes a while for all of them to disappear.  So, I am hoping .. . . . . . .

Thanks for the Head's-up!

Well, well, well.  My pharmacist just told me that she CANNOT get anymore Mylan from her supplier.  She said they will often say that they are "back ordered," but then never send them.  She only has enough for a 2-1/2 month supply if I want them and I asked her to call her other stores and ask for what they have and then see where else she can get them and at least have 6 months worth.  She will try.

She said that activas will be the only one available in time as she is noticing.  So, it seems there may be a shortage of all generic brands except that one.  Has anybody else found out anything otherwise?  That would mean that it would either be Klonopin or Activas.  Hmmmmmmmm

I asked her what is happening with all of this and she said she really doesn't understand what is going on.

So, I guess my hopes of having peace of mind is not going to happen after all.

My husband suggested that I just try the Activas and see what happens.  Perphaps it will work for me and if it does then I should be ok.  But from what I have been reading on this post, activas has been making people sick and does not work well.  Is this so?  Or have I been reading that into it?

Anyone doing well on activas?  Is it a stronger generic than most?

Lynn,

The reason your pharmacist can’t get Mylan is because it is discontinued as far as clonazepam. That number is on the FDA website where I saw the discontinuation. The Teva company owns Actavis. It was its own company until Teva bought them in 2015-2016.

I started out on Actavis myself before that purchase took place. I did very well on it, but I have a rare vocal disorder as I mentioned that is tremendously affected by clonazepam so I’ve not only researched myself to the limits of my ability, but I’m pretty convinced of what I’m telling you. I have no idea what switching back to Actavis is going to do to me now. I haven’t filled an Rx for it yet because it’s not time. I’m going to look for that link to the FDA again.

Lynn I am doing really good on the actavis so far. I do actavis in the morning and still Mylan at night until I run out of mylan. I feel like actavis is a great generic. I hope this helps.

bballmom, how long have you been on actavis?  Does it feel stronger than Mylan?  Did you mix the two pills to sort of wean yourself off the one and onto the other?  If so, why?

Thanks for helping me to feel better about actavis.

Any others doing well on it?

I was told that it is just a matter of the body getting used to whatever clonazepam we use and that in time it will adjust and we can move on with our tapers.

I just don't want to get all mess up by being put on so many different ones from time to time.

I also don't want to feel sick anymore than I already do.

Thanks for responding.

Hey Lynn I find every generic and even the Brand K to be inferior to the teva clonazepam. But I find the actavis to be the closest thing to teva. What generic have u been on before?

Lynn - When I did a straight switch from Teva to Mylan it was rough for a few days. So I am easing into this switch and it seems that it is working. I have only been on Actavis for 6 days now. I take Actavis in the morning and Mylan at night. I will probably go all Actavis in about a week.

I don't know all of them, but my pharmacist said that he gets whatever he get can at the time, so I've probably been on several without knowing it.

My current one is Northstar.  I hear it is being discontinued.

I called another pharmacist and she ordered in Actavis for me.  I hope it works.  I really do . . . . .. . ....

Sorry, my answer was for DubCity.  I forgot to say that.  I'm glad to hear that it is working for several of you.  It gives me some comfort and encouragement.  I am going to  pick up some tomorrow and try it over the weekend.  I am currently taking 2 mg and once stable, I will be trying the microtapering with liquid method.  Anyone try the Actavis with this method?  If so, how did it work?

Thanks.